European users

Guest member25959

The only time the germans would be after us brits was if we were to beat them to the sun loungers in the morning

We have a choice to be european and given a referendum most brits would say no,,just like many countries before us

Guest member25959

The question is for anyone from te European continent to answer, not just the EU

p.s. quote 'We have a choice to be european and given a referendum most brits would say no,,just like many countries before us', if it wasn't in Europe, where would it be, it cant be its own continent

[2011 edit: picard.gif I wish I never lived through being 16 <<]

Oh my god!!!!! The Germans are after me!!!!!!!

/me runs for the forests!!

Have you gone nuts? If that referred to my statement above:

A) I'm not a German

B) They are not after you

C) What's wrong with Germans anyway? I likes them :<

/me sulks.

Nothing is wrong with Germans, I like them too. I became crazy momentarily. :)

The question is for anyone from te European continent to answer, not just the EU

p.s. quote 'We have a choice to be european and given a referendum most brits would say no,,just like many countries before us', if it wasn't in Europe, where would it be, it cant be its own continent

Er, I don't think any referendum would be about being part of the European continent.

That question is aimed quite clearly related to the EU.

Guest member25959

Er, I don't think any referendum would be about being part of the European continent.

I meant that Britain couldnt be its own continent

[2011 edit: picard.gif 16 <<]

I meant that Britain couldnt be its own continent

But no one is saying it can be. The quote you've used is talking about the EU, not the continent.

don't worry Ediie the penny will drop in a minute

Most Britians understand we belong to the continent of europe in the same way canada is part of the north america's..try telling a canadian they are american however and..duck

Thats the point that was raised, we may belong to the continent of europe but we are not european ...we are british and proud

"pokes a stick with poo on the end at the european union"

Guest Fosco
we are british and proud

We are?

I'm not proud to be British at present. Have you read the news over the last couple of days. Shocking and embarresing to be honest. We simply to not have a clue.

Travel is the key here

I am british always thought britian was bad, then I've travelled/worked or both (and I don't mean package tours) in Italy,Germany,France,Holland,Belgium, sweden,switzerland, spain and to this day I come back..think it's good to be back then hate it again after a few months

Every country is pants in it's own way, it's just not until you visit them you realise it

don't worry Ediie the penny will drop in a minute

Most Britians understand we belong to the continent of europe in the same way canada is part of the north america's..try telling a canadian they are american however and..duck

Thats the point that was raised, we may belong to the continent of europe but we are not european ...we are british and proud

"pokes a stick with poo on the end at the european union"

as a Canadian, may I explain that the reason we don't like being called "American" is because the term "American" is meant to mean the United States of America and not refer to the continent itself ----> we get sore about people trying to claim we're "just a part of the States" and not our own distinct country with distinct culture, etc. ----> the difference would be telling a Brit they're really French or "just a part of France" rather than suggesting the British are a part of Europe

though if you called us North Americans, I don't think anyone would care, since it would refer to the countries of the continent

when I went to Cuba on vacation (they like Canadians, but not those from the U.S.) they explained to us they used the word Americans in reference to the continent and disliked the U.S.A for arrogantly (their word not mine) taking/changing the name to refer only to them... first time I'd heard the term "American" used in that way, (outside labeling the continents in geography class) to refer to the continent and not the U.S.A

Ha! No-one in England is a patriot, sure. But we damn well aint one of them Europeans!

As an englishman I am proud to be English and of my country

I don't like what the goverment are doing with it or the reputation it has but I am proud to be English

I am over in the states at the momment and they love it..and yes many do say do I know the queen personally :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
AFlyingPiglet
I think the patriots are a dying species.

I think exactly the opposite. I think patriotism is growing in different countries.

There is no other continent we could be on, England certaintly cant be its own continent

Actually, England has its own planet, not just its own continent.

I am from England - have moved around a fair bit but have always lived in England - I love the Tea!

Α&Ω

I am British, never class myself as English. Can't really having bloodlines to most parts of Britain. lol

I really regret living in my country. Well, country itself isn't so bad, but what's happening here, definitely is and I want to escape from here.

I'm regrettably American, but considering moving to England or France after college.....

• 2 months later...
Guest member25959
I am British, never class myself as English. Can't really having bloodlines to most parts of Britain. lol
I really regret living in my country. Well, country itself isn't so bad, but what's happening here, definitely is and I want to escape from here.

I know how you both feel :(

I currently live in the UK, but class myself as European rather than British.

As of next week I will be living in France, then I'll be in Germany from March.

Language wise, I speak English (native language) French and German (fairly fluent) and basic Spanish and Italian... enough to get by as long as nothing too disasterous or complicated happens :P.

I don't get it. The UK is part of the EU, and part of Europe, whether you like it or dislike it. That makes us British and EU citizens. What's there to be annoyed about? What's there to be ashamed of? What's there to be proud of?

As for myself, I reside in the North East of England, in the United Kingdom, in the European Union of the European continent. That makes me North Eastern, English, British, European, and an EU citizen. Even a twinge of pride or shame at these facts would be a disgrace to common sense.

EDIT: Oh, and languages: English. Polish (basic).

To be honest, I feel no shame at being British, it is just that I am more likely to say I am European than British... mind you I am also more likely to say I am Scottish than I am to say I am British. I have no idea why really, I guess it's just personal preference really, nothing to do with likes/dislikes, pride or a lack thereof.

• 2 months later...

French here.

I speak French, some English, and um, I'm supposed to have learnt Spanish at school, but don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

Archived