How old were you when you realised you were Ace?

Yar!

Ages of Acehood  

1. 1. How old were you when you realised you were ace?

• 16-17
    • 18-19
    • 20-22
    • 23-26
    • 27-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 40-45
    • 46-50
    • 50+
  2. 2. How old were you when you realised you were "different"

• 16-17
    • 18-19
    • 20-22
    • 23-26
    • 27-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 51+

This poll is closed to new votes

I think I was five when I realised I was different and I was in my early teens (possibly thirteen) when I realised I was Ase.

I realized when I was about 11 that I wasn't interested in anyone of either gender, which qualifies as "different," but I was half-expecting that to change because people so confidently told me it would and I knew I was still young. Around 13 or 14 I began to feel more confident that it wouldn't change and officially started thinking of myself as ace. (I even looked up the word "asexual" in the dictionary to make sure it existed as I had been using it!) People may say 13 is too young to know, but I'm 20 now and still identify as such. :)

It never really bothered me, I just thought it was interesting.

I actually didn't realize I was different until I was 18. My parents decided to move us across the country right before I started high school, so I didn't go through my teen years with everyone I'd grown up with. Instead I somehow managed to wind up with a very seriously religious crowd (northern Florida = Bible belt), and none of those kids talked about sex, so I managed to get through my teen years without any real exposure to sexually active teenagers.

It wasn't until after I'd graduated and two of my Christian friends got married that I finally realized I was different somehow, because once they were married, sex was allowed, and boy did they talk about it then. Finding out that they were enjoying having sex really shook my whole perception of the world, and it made me realize I might not actually fit in with that crowd so much after all.

I still didn't discover I was asexual until earlier this year though, at 23. I finally moved back to California - where I'd originally moved away from - and came back in contact with a lot of old friends who I hadn't seen since junior high... and holy crap had they changed. Being here with this group of friends is nothing like being with my friends in Florida. Everyone here is very obviously sexual, which just made me feel stranger and stranger until I finally did some research and realized I was asexual.

I've known most of my life that I was different than others because I had no desire to have sex and I yelled at anyone who suggested that I might change my mind someday. And to this day people STILL tell me I might change my mind when I get older. Sorry but..who's living who's life again?

Anyway, I've known I was asexual since I was very young. I didn't know there was a label for it though til a couple years ago

• 3 weeks later...
spoonsfromdenmark

I knew I was different for sure when I was 13. Probably would have been sooner but my family never ever talks about sexual attraction or sex so I just thought everyone was like me. Discovered the word and came out to my mom at 16.

Cupcake_Master

Ace?

Oh,asexual?

When I was twelve,I came upon it thanks to Wikipedia. I never identified as asexual for a few weeks though.

I never noticed I was different from others,since I had little interest in sex. I am oblivious to my own romantic feelings,and I only had a scientific interest in reproduction.

Apocolypstick

WOW are people really that sure about their sexuality at 15 and under????

I don't think I even thought about sexuality at 15. I knew there was something different because all my friends "dated" and I wasn't interested, but I never thought it was based on sexuality.

I've only just (in the last few weeks) acknowledged and accepted my asexuality. I wonder if it's a generational thing?? More information these days so kids are more likely to find out...

I didn't learn about asexuality until I was eighteen (only a couple of weeks away from being nineteen, but that's not important).

I suppose I knew I was different (orientation-wise) at, maybe, eleven or twelve.

gray_imagination

well I knew I was different since I was about 5. But with relation sexuality....I sort of had an idea somewhere around 17, though not much of one. It was really good at ignoring all evidence that something else was going on with most everyone else.

• 1 month later...

I realised I was different when I was 7 fortunately so did everyone else though no one ever managed to pinpoint what exactly seperated me from the rest. Fortnately I figured out I was asexual by myself about a year back now. Everything gets alot clearer when you know what your actually thinking

I always liked rather childish things (I still liked playing with toys at fifteen and sixteen). So I just assumed my self to be late. Though I had had a few crushes. It wasn't until college that I started thinking I might be asexual.

• 10 months later...
Guest FrozenCherry

I have always known I am different but I am 32 now and just thinking am I asexual or not. That may be the answer... I just told my sis that I was here and I think I am hetero lovemaniac asexual :D

I found the term when I was 17 or 18 (I voted 18 because it was closer to there than to 16). I've been looking at it from every angle that I can since then and I'm pretty sure it fits me well enough. I'd assumed that I wasn't quite the same as other kids my age in the attraction department for a while before that, but had just put it down to my antisocialness and lack of desire to ever have kids and figured I was a late bloomer.

I'm only coming to the conclusion now at almost 27, though I saw something about asexuals on Dateline (?) a couple years back and that first put the suspicion in my mind. However, I didn't really accept it because I am very strongly hetero-romantic. But I knew I was different in middle school, and figure I was just a late bloomer and/or very committed to school.

There is also a chance I am somewhere (mildly) on the autism spectrum, but nothing I have any kind of official proof of.

EDIT: Oops! I did my vote backwards! 23-26 for realizing you're asexual, 15- for realizing you were different.

Fish That Swims

Not so much as realizing I was asexual, but realizing I would probably never be sexual, if that makes sense. I mean, little kids aren't (usually) interested in sex, but nobody says they're asexual.

I think the most solidifying thing for me when realizing I was "different" was the knowledge from about 14 or 15 to when I lost my virginity (almost 19) that the only way I would lose it was if I was messed up on drugs and alcohol because it simply WAS NOT something I could do while sober... and sure enough the night of I was so messed up I ended up in hospital because of what I'd taken.

It just shouldn't be like that you know. I mean I'm sure lots of people do lose it that way, but they don't know, or think or want to do it that way. Especially girls. All this fuss about girls wanting the first time to be perfect and romantic etc... and here I was knowing that if I had a first time I didn't want to be mentally there for it.

I was starting to figure out I was "different" in the context of sexuality when I was about twelve or thirteen. I knew I was "different" in general way before that, mind--I think it was clear to everyone involved when I was four or five and started public school. I was fourteen when I discovered asexuality and figure it fit at least temporarily, and fifteen or sixteen when I decided that the late bloomer explanation was faulty and started firmly identifying as asexual.

So under fifteen for both, I think. I was lucky in that I found AVEN very early, or else I think I would probably have been much more confused and gone through a much longer stage of identity questioning.

vrazda verlaine

"Different" - definitely thirteen. I suspected I was asexual once I was about 14, but I didn't actually accept it and think "yes, I am asexual" until... probably shortly after I turned 18.

ihatemyusername

I sort of suspected probably when I was around 17, but I've only accepted being asexual not long ago (I'm 20 now), I wish I had realised it earlier, would have saved me a LOT of bother.

Amputation Defenestration

I realized I was asexual when I was 19, but felt like the odd girl out long before that..the most startling One of These Kids is Not Like the Other event I can remember, I must have been 13 or 14..

Ninja Midget

I realized I was ace/different just a few days ago, actually. I'm 17. The only reason I never realized earlier was because I didn't fully understand what sexual attraction was (I felt aesthetic attraction and just assumed that was sexual attraction, like they were synonymous; looking back, I don't know why I came to this conclusion o_O), and I didn't fully open my mind and thoroughly analyze just how I felt when I looked at people. The real kicker is, for the past year or so, I joked that I was "pretty much asexual" since I didn't get all boy-crazy and obsessed with dating like my peers. :lol:

Ace of Swords

I was a little kid when I realized that I was asexual, but I tried to do what was expected of me and I have two failed marriages to show for it.

I knew I was different at age 3, when I started going to daycare. I tried being friendly and everything but the other kids shunned me like I was green or something. In the end I'd just sit in the corner and draw or talk to the parents. I didn't last very long though, it broke mum's heart so she pulled me out after three months. I found out I was ace a couple months ago, at 22, my mum knew I was ace at 17.

Archived