How old were you when you realised you were Ace?

Yar!

Ages of Acehood  

1. 1. How old were you when you realised you were ace?

• 16-17
    • 18-19
    • 20-22
    • 23-26
    • 27-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 40-45
    • 46-50
    • 50+
  2. 2. How old were you when you realised you were "different"

• 16-17
    • 18-19
    • 20-22
    • 23-26
    • 27-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 51+

This poll is closed to new votes

I did some browsing and couldn't find anything along those lines so here's the question, I've used age ranges from the "Age of people" poll and according to that there are a lot of people in the early 20s late teens so don't be insulted if your group is large!

AFlyingPiglet

That's a very telling survey. For the first question (How old was I when I realised I was Ace?) I put age 36-40.

For the second question (When did I realise I was 'different'?) I put -15!

If I had known there was such a thing as Ace at age -15 then I guess that would have been my answer to the first question too. Now I'm thankfully out of the wilderness and realise I'm not alone!

The main reason I put the second one is because of that reason if people didn't know about it they can't be it but they know there is something different

I might have realized I was different earlier if I was paying attention to the people around me. None of my good friends were dating or talking about boys, either (and one would later come out as gay). Nothing changed for me, so I sort of assumed that nothing had changed for anyone else, either.

I was 17 when I realised I was asexual. I was definitely younger than 15 when I realised I was different, but the exact age depends on what you mean by different. I realised I wasn't straight at about 12 or 13 years old, but I've never been able to identify beauty and realised that from a very young age (three, four maybe).

I'd say I must have been 12 or 13 when I realized I was different from my peers regarding the opposite sex. I didn't have the same feelings they did, nor did I even develop my first crush until I was 15. I began to think I was asexual around the age of 16 or so. I didn't realize that other people had no sex drive or sexual attraction like me, until my first year of college when I found AVEN.

Hmmm well I was a little weird kid to begin with. I absolutely hated being hugged and touched as a kid and once I got to the age that most kids started to notice other girls and boys I was always indifferent. I had no clue that there was anyone else similar to me until I found AVEN.

I voted >15 for being different and 18-19 for being ace, although it's more complex than that.

I actually discovered asexuality before I noticed I was different (thanks to a lack of attention on my part; it was what I read then that highlighted that I was different), and it fitted. I did not however actually identify as such for several years to account for the possibility of being a late bloomer.

Then I found AVEN and decided I'd waited long enough.

silentdreamer

I was around 15 when I noticed I was different. I didn't think much of it though until later in life. I discovered I was ace when I was 25, about a month before I turned 26.

I was probably around 10 or 11 when I realised I was different. And was 18 when I found asexuality. If I'd found it earlier though I'd probably have identified myself as asexual years ago.

I noticed I was different when no one ever liked me even though I never bothered them at all.

So... 4? Maybe 5.

But if you're talking about Sexually... 11-13 I guess. I never thought about me being Sexually different.

And I was 15 when I found out I was Asexual [and I'm 16 now].

I realized that I wasn't ... uh, exactly normal, but I interpreted that as just me being awesome... and I figured my friends were the same...

...a couple of major reveals later, and I figured

"if it's a struggle for them to not... and I really don't care... honestly, don't care... maybe I'm different... really."

...then I started reading wikipidea articles on 'gender-queer' people... heh.

I've known about aceness for about 2 years. About one year earlier I knew I wasn't hetero, so I presumed bisexuality or homosexuality, then I realised just before Christmas ('08) that I was ace and that was why I hadn't related to any sexuality

Knew I was ace at 20. Knew I was different pretty much since birth. But, I think my difference mostly had to do with being on the autistic spectrum, which I didn't even know about until my late teens. All I knew was that I was very different from most other kids.

15-20. That's when I fully came out to myself and accepted it.

Realised the difference before the age of 15. Way before.

I knew there was something different about me when my friends in middle school were starting to get into dating and were really into guys and I just wasn't. When I saw people around me with their significant others I just felt a little off.

I actually realized there was a word for it when I was 18. I got invited into this Cult on VampireFreaks called Asexual, and they had a link here to AVEN. I was happy, to say the least, that it wasn't just me. I think I almost cried, actually.

I'm quite shocked by these results, I was expecting more in the older categories than there are. Otherwise I would have condensed them

• 2 weeks later...
CrazyCatLover

I figured out that I was asexual at nineteen. I didn't really realize how different I was until about age 20.

Jillianimal

Asexual: 15 (yeah, kinda young)

Different: depends what you mean by different, but quite sometime

Well I realized in Jr. High that I wasn't into what everyone else was.

I think it was last year that I figured out what it was called.

I'm only 16 now.

I'm quite shocked by these results, I was expecting more in the older categories than there are. Otherwise I would have condensed them

There's another thread where there are more responses from some of us older asexuals. Generally older people had no idea that there was such a thing; we just knew we were different. Then we read about asexuality, and some of us were pretty mature when that happened.

I just remembered recently that when I was a little kid, I told my friends my parents DID NOT have sex when they had me. Sex grossed me out so much that I could not believe my parents would do something like that. I knew that's how babies were made, but I firmly believed there had to be another way. LOL! Now, only the little details of sex still gross me out.

I've known from at least 8th grade (13/14) I wasn't interested in having sex (nonsexual), but I found out I was 'asexual' in my early 20s, when I saw something on TV about asexuality.

Wings of a Dream

I was 19 when I realised as that was when I first learned about asexuality. I was around 16 when I started to realise that while all my friends were getting into boys and talking about sex almost constantly, I just really wasn't interested in any of that sort of stuff.

I was around sophomore age in high school when I realized I was different. Didn't care about having a relationship. But I kind of brushed it off and told myself I was a late bloomer. Found out I was ace when I was eighteen.

inkingthestar

when i was in sixth grade, all my friends started going on dates with boys, and 'doing things' with them and all that jazz. they'd call me up and talk for hours about the things they'd done with boys and what they wanted to do with boys and yadda yadda yadda... and i was never really into it. i wasn't really repulsed, but more or less indifferent. i remember after one conversation where i had pretty much flat-out said i never wanted to have sex ever, i told one of my friends i was asexual. they laughed and asked if i split in two to reproduce, and i felt kinda silly and said that i didn't... then i told them i must be nonsexual then, because i really just wasn't into it. they laughed again, and the conversation was pretty much over. this was back in 94. who knew i was right the first time? :D

• 1 month later...

ever since the kids around me at school started getting interested in sex, -when I wasn't really interested at all.

I've been in denial, but gradually things have happened to me that have just served to confirm it more and more. I've come to terms with it and feel a bit relieved now that I've met some more aces.

ever since the kids around me at school started getting interested in sex, -when I wasn't really interested at all.

I've been in denial, but gradually things have happened to me that have just served to confirm it more and more. I've come to terms with it and feel a bit relieved now that I've met some more aces.

I understand where you're coming from. I didn't even know that people at school were into that. I thought that talking about sex was just something children at that age talked about, yet never actually did. At that age, television and movies had made me sexually aware, but I just saw it as being like a running joke that lazy writers put in. To a certain extent, I still don't really understand how most people desire sex and have it regularly. Because - and this ought to go without saying - I never see it happening, it's easy for me to believe that it doesn't. Of course, there are the occasional, skin-crawling moments when I see a couple kiss in public. *shudder*

The first time I used the term asexual, I was 16. Even before that, when I was around 13 or 14, I remember reading a biography that stated that the subject "was never known to have had a sexual relationship." I remember being very pleased and thinking, "Ooh, I want that!" Years before that, when I was about 8 and before I knew about sex, Sherlock Holmes' perpetual bachelor life was very attractive to me. Again, I remember deciding, "Ooh, I want that!" I mention that because it was while reading an article on Holmes when I was 16 that I saw the word asexual used to describe his sexual preference/lifestyle. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but... "Ooh, I want that!" Or to put it another way, things started making a bit more sense from then on.

• 2 months later...

I haven't really checked in on this thread recently however I most definitely relate to the above poster. Especially the section about the fact you wanted all of the asexual things, like I never wanted a wife, just didn't know how to describe it

Archived