Survey: Gender Variation in the Asexual Community

Prismatangle

Many of you have probably already seen this, but last night I posted a survey to my blog and the asexuality LJ community.

I think I may have originally miscommunicated my aim in creating the survey, so I'm going to start over from the beginning instead of copy-pasting, and hope people understand me better this time.

I wanted to get a sense of what kind of gender variation we have in the asexual community, since there seems to be a significant percentage of gender non-conforming people around here. My survey was specifically aimed at trying to catch people who don't fit easily into either the "trans" or "cisgendered" boxes, to get a sense of how many of them there are.

Early respondents have said that this shows a "bias" towards trans people by not including more than one answer for "I wouldn't change anything about my body," but what I am interested in is not whether you go "OH HELL NO!" or "Eh, nah, I'm fine the way I am"--either way, you've said no, and it's easier to group the people who say no than to have several answers saying the same thing. I'm just trying to see how many people will answer in a more middle-of-the-road way which would be easy to fall through the cracks of other surveys.

This is not an academic survey by any means. I'm not trying to prove anything by it, or get any solid statistics. I just want to do it to satisfy my own curiosity.

I've tried to make this as accommodating as possible, but of course, the very act of making a survey such as this forces me to put people in certain categories. Not everyone is going to be happy about this, or feel that it accurately represents all of their experiences. However, I have added comment boxes to many of the questions so that those who feel too boxed in can explain their experiences. If you have a problem with a question that doesn't have comment boxes, there is an optional question at the end of the test that you can use to say whatever you want.

Before you actually take the survey, a few notes:

1) Sexual people, feel free to answer this as well! I am not specifically aiming this at asexual people, but rather at the community as a whole, so as long as you feel you are part of the community, then feel free to respond.

2) There have been some errors reported with the site I used--mainly one in which the site will redirect you to questions that have already been answered. This seems to be mainly a problem with Firefox 2, so most people haven't had a problem with it. However, if you DO have a problem, please try using a different browser!

3) Please read carefully, and try to decide on the option that BEST FITS you--don't get too hung up on the specifics of things. Think carefully, but don't OVERthink. Also, if there is a word you don't know, try wikipedia or AVEN's wiki.

Take the survey!

I also took it, and I second what Luvdisc said; I'd be interested in seeing the results also.

Of course, I'll be posting the results in my blog in a few weeks, once I've gone through them. :)

I took it, since you asked for sexuals who were involved with the community. I hope I'm not the only sexual. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Did I just get called a girl by a survey on gender variation? Great.

Um, no? Of course not. I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

I thought I had explained things well enough, but if you'd like to explain what offended you, maybe I can clear things up.

I think what Draconis was meaning is that the statistics say that they are more likely to be a female than male given this demographic, I'm not sure they're offended.

I think what Draconis was meaning is that the statistics say that they are more likely to be a female than male given this demographic, I'm not sure they're offended.

Mostly it was that I also couldn't tell if when they talked about females they meant female-bodied or cisgirls, mostly because it included female-bodied androgynes. Which I should have just asked... um... yes.. sorry about that. No offense taken or meant.

Mostly it was that I also couldn't tell if when they talked about females they meant female-bodied or cisgirls, mostly because it included female-bodied androgynes. Which I should have just asked... um... yes.. sorry about that. No offense taken or meant.

Oh, okay. :)

Well, this was one of the problems I had with the survey, which I was planning to post about next. I filtered out the trans responses as best I could, but I couldn't figure out an easy way to filter the androgynes/neutrois/etc. out. Likely, the next step in analyzing the results will involve me going through the database and manually creating a new category for it (I did this to filter the trans respondents, because of the issue of conscious identification), which will take quite a bit of work. I'm not sure if I actually want to do that or just scrap this survey and make an updated version where I would more easily be able to filter the results. Either way, it's probably going to take a while.

So, anyway, if you clicked "trans" or commented about being trans somewhere in the survey, then you'd be counted with the trans respondents. If not, you'd be with the female-bodied respondents. Sorry if that's not accurate, I really can't figure out an easy filtering option, here. :( Especially since there are varying degrees of intensity to deal with as well, when it comes to androgynous identification, plus there's the difficulty of relying purely on individual self-reports.

But I will post about that in more detail later. I hope that helps!

Archived