Asexuals: sexual anorexics

I notice that these "sexual anorexics" "act out" with prostitutes or other games. These are not asexuals by any stretch of the imagination. The article makes me feel like an apple looking at an orange.

I don't deny that there must be some people who are traumatized into "aversion desire disorder." However, I don't like 2 things in the article:

1. "I've seen men in their late 30s or early 40s who've never dated a woman, never kissed a woman or held her hand and never want to because they're so shut down sexually..."

2. They deliberately, silently starve themselves of sex -- and may not even know it.

Both quotes imply that if you don't want to be sexual, you just don't realize that you have a problem. The article should only address people who are distressed by the fact that they can't participate in sexual acts.

fluffy_hime

Hehehe...an apple looking at an orange. Classic.

Apples%20AND%20Oranges.JPG

The image is four apples, the word AND, and then four oranges, Mindlife.

This article has nothing whatsoever to do with asexuality. Reacting to it is a

waste of time. Chill, Tressa.

It's okay, Steve, she knows.

The article should only address people who are distressed by the fact that they can't participate in sexual acts.

See? It's all cool.

Yeah, the article wasn't like "blind angry rage" level, I just thought they should specify that people with this disorder have to feel distress. I mean, saying "You might not even know you have it!" sounds pretty lame. I can just see some guillable businessman or housewife, rocking back and forth, thinking "Am I into sex enough?!" :lol: Just like those TV news shows that are like "We'll tell you what in your house can kill you, after these messages."

This was a pop pysch article. Hence the mild sensationalizing. Have to sell the magazines, you know.

I think it's a pretty bad comparison; you can die from anorexia (keeping yourself from food is what comes to mind), but not from lack of sex.

Kombucha2000
I think it's a pretty bad comparison; you can die from anorexia (keeping yourself from food is what comes to mind), but not from lack of sex.

there are people out there who probably think you can die without sex :roll:

Cate Perfect

The thing about it that gets me is that line about not knowing it. Anorexics KNOW what they're doing. And I agree that it should be about people who are distressed by the fact that they have a low sex drive or whatever.

It just sounds like something some guy could use. 'I read it in an article...You just don't know that you're sick! Get some therapy to be sexual!'

Cate

Kombucha2000
The thing about it that gets me is that line about not knowing it. Anorexics KNOW what they're doing.

actually I've had brushes with eating disorders and other personality problems and I wasn't consciously aware of them. Several years ago I developed a compulsion for excerise, but it was very gradual. I was in my own little world exercising all of my free time. It was during the summer, and by the time fall came it had finally hit me when I was trying to figure out when to excerise around my class schedule, and had I kept to it, I wouldn't have had time to do homework. Scary thing.

I've also had strict dietary patterns and tried not to sway away from them, but I made rational explanations for my behaviors, even though subconscious I must've known there was something wrong, but not consciously.

Cate Perfect

Huh. I've always been aware of when I was abusing myself. I suppose I thought other people knew what they were doing, but couldn't stop for whatever reason.

Cate

Kombucha2000

for me, it depended on what I was doing to myself. When it came to diet/excercise, I wasn't aware, and my mind would rationalize my behavior. But for other things I did, I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I didn't care.

Silly Green Monkey

Proper diet with all nutrients present is good, exercise is good, but only as long as it's done for fitness and fun. Dieting and exercise only to lose weight isn't good, like compulsive exercise.

Kombucha2000
I just want to build up and look better.

do you have access to a gym? Weight training 2-3 times a week is ideal for muscle building.

I have a weight set, but mom won't let me take it upstairs. You never know, it might fall through the floor and land in the kitchen! I told her the weight of every single one of my desks and furniture weighs more than the set, but "I SAID NO AND THAT'S FINAL!"

Come to think of it, she's away for three weeks . . . :twisted:

Kombucha2000

are you able to use them downstairs?

You can also work muscles without weights, like with push-ups, ab crunches, pull-ups, leg lifts, and there's also isometrics.

fluffy_hime
Just like those TV news shows that are like "We'll tell you what in your house can kill you, after these messages."

:D Fear-mongering. Ever heard of The Culture of Fear by Barry Glassner?

EDIT: Gorax, rather than taking the weights upstairs why don't you just...you know, go downstairs?

i think this is my favorite moronic line in that article:

deliberately, silently starve themselves of sex -- and may not even know it.

it's deliberate.....but they dont know it? how the fuck does that work?

yeah it's so deliberate they dont even know they are doing it? pffff

furthermore..how stupid is it that she makes a comparison to eating disorders!!!!!...clearly not a very good mataphore!!!! how can you have a sexual purge? "expulsion of sex from your life" i would assume. I dont know anyone that binges and purges with sex.

hmmm i want to go to a Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous Sexaholics Anonymous meeting i bet that would be interesting.

You can also work muscles without weights, like with push-ups, ab crunches, pull-ups, leg lifts, and there's also isometrics.

I do that already :mrgreen:

Cate Perfect

Wanting to be strong and healthy is one thing. Being obsessed with weighing 12 pounds and having 2% body fat is another thing.

Cate

Cate Perfect

No, I was being facetious. I meant 12.

I weigh 120 lbs, so that doesn't seem too thin. My BMI is 19, so I'm still ok.

Cate

there are people out there who probably think you can die without sex :roll:

I don't know. But there are people who think going a month without sex drives one insane.

Archived