1. 1. What is your "romantic drive?"

• Very High
    • High
    • Average
    • Low
    • Very Low
    • Aromantic

This poll is closed to new votes

Some of the sexual people I know think I'm aromantic.

But I love falling in love!

But, unlike sexuals, I've not really been driven to seek out a partner from the world of sexual people. mainly 'cos I shy away fro that pressure. -Maybe that's why I've been labelled as aromantic a few times.

I do get very emotionally involved when I think somebody is a sweet person, and I'm emotionally touched by them -regardless of whether I'm driven to want to go out with them.

heheh I'm such an emo!

When a friend (or partner) does something that indicates they love or care about me it always moves me to tears. I'm a big cry baby that way! :)

Is being emotionally involved like that 'romantic drive'? -'cos I'm not really sure what 'romantic drive' means. Does it mean that if you're a bloke you have to turn up with a rose between your teeth? :) or if you're a woman you have to be saved by the dashing hero? hahah

Or does having a 'romantic drive' mean you're actively seeking a partner? (I'm looking for an ace partner)

If being romantic means it's OK for me to be asexually affectionate, soft hearted, and have somebody who's also ace to snuggle up to and have fun with, well..., that's what I want!

• 3 months later...
SilverCandleKid

demiromantic, so very low. usually a person likes me romantically before i finally catch up. most of the time, i don't actively seek out or really desire a romantic relationship, but once i've known someone long enough or well enough, i can feel romantically attracted.

silentdreamer

I'd say it's high for me. I have a strong need to be in a relationship with someone who cares about me and to share those feelings together. Years of pretending like I didnt have these feelings has made me feel like I'v been missing out on finding my "other half". So, I actively seek out relationships though I've had little luck so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am not typically "driven" to seek relationships, but only shortly ago I felt "madly in love" with someone, for some reason I am not sure of now...aside from that time, I tend to not seek out romantic relationships.

Low. I actually really like being in a relationship, but I'm happy without one and I never seek out one.

I chose aromantic, but I wouldn't mind seeing it as a "very low" romantic drive.

I never felt a need to seek out relationships and most ideas about relationships I find a little distasteful.

Occasionally, I do wonder whether I could appreciate some of the benefits as well, and I try to be open minded about the possibility.

AyatollahCarebear

I'm an aromantic sexual.

Romance seems to me like madness, on both a physical and intellectual level. I only find sexuality insane on an intellectual level.

Just to make everything confusing, I only ever (and it's certainly not common, at that) develop romantic feelings for someone I'm very close friends with first. Which means I get very few opportunities to seek out a relationship and spend most of my time as good as aromantic.

But, rarely, my desire for a relationship sort of flares up a bit. Though I suppose that just makes me want one, not want to search for one; I know I couldn't actually do that.

So, yeah, I didn't vote. I don't think any of the options really apply to me. :mellow:

ChaliceFlame

I don't know how to answer this one because sometimes it's very high and needs to be turned off so I can function. Other times, not so much.

• 1 month later...

Like to think of my self as the ye olde' hopless/hapless romantic, having a very high romantic drive

I voted high, but I am quite sure that I am not defining"romantic" in the same way as many of you here do. You don't have to be in a coupled relationship or seeking one to be interested in romance. As I have already mentioned in other posts here, my idea of what is romantic is broader than other people's. I even think lace is romantic, which might be why "Chantilly" came to mind for a screen name.

I have been with the same person since 1984, and we are married. In some ways I guess it has been a marriage of convenience, but that is often true in sexual relationships too. We rely upon each other, which means that we can really inconvenience each other as well. Some would call that co-dependency, but no man (or woman) is an island. Anyone who thinks that a romantic relationship is one with a perfect match had better keep his or her library card current because fiction stories are the only place that such matches exist. In real relationships we all decide what we are willing to put up with and just line up the faults. People miserable in relationships are always thinking of their relationships in terms of what they are giving up. If you view your relationships in terms of what you are getting, you will be content and willing to do more for the other person so that the other person wants to stick around.

• 4 months later...
deletethisplease

Im really sorry to bring back a dead topic, but really, what makes romance...romance? I mean...Im romantic. I know that. But only to one person. And we aren't very physical. We don't kiss. But were really emotionally together and intimate. She is very significant to me. So would this be romance? And I think thats why people are so confused on the term aromantic.

vrazda verlaine

Hiiiiigh. I fantasise about romance quite a bit, and have a pretty strong desire to be in a romantic relationship.

Even though I have been single for almost four years now and almost never develop crushes I voted very high because my romance drive is powerful and omnipresent. Its like I have a constant, consuming desire to hold hands with a cute young lady I have yet to meet.

It depends on the circumstance. Right now I have no interest whatsoever in a relationship because I'm focused on other things. I have felt a strong romantic drive in the past, though. It just doesn't happen as much as it used to.

annwyl_cariad

I find this interesting...I don't think I've ever considered romantic drive before. I have had a hard time deciding whether I'm panromantic or aromantic, but this has made me consider it in a new way.

I think I'm panromantic with a low to very low romance drive. I get romantically attracted to folks (fairly often, actually), but I don't feel the need to act on that attraction. I allow myself a brief fantasy about dating this person, and then I get on with my life. Probably because I know that my asexuality would make most romantic relationships very difficult, maybe I've just learned not to dwell on the possibility of one. Because of this I've never pursued a relationship and have never really been in one, although if someone asks me out sometimes I'll go out with them. But if it looks like the asexuality is going to present a problem in the relationship I have no problem with just letting it go.

• 5 months later...
Erinaceus europaeus

Aromantic, but perhaps leaning somewhat towards low on a very odd occasion?

Whilst I've never actually been romantically attracted to anyone in my 20-odd years, there's the rare times that I think it'd at least be an experience to actually give a relationship a shot. But as soon as I get an offer, I instantly revert back to out-and-out disinterested again and get the hell out of there. >_> Tends to make me somewhat uneasy when people are attracted to me. I guess it's just the idea I ponder over at times like that more than anything else - just in the way I also think it'd be awesome to be a time traveller or something,. Honestly, the latter literally has more chance of happening in reality than romance when it comes to me, and sounds a heckuva lot more fun. :lol: Can't picture myself in such a situation at all.

My idea of romance is pretty atypical anyway. It's really more of what most people would consider a best friend, I suppose. Not keen on physical contact at all, and I couldn't even stand being around someone on a near-constant basis.

Archived