The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Parth

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=74D1A83A3ED4B934

I just discovered this anime last night, and I already watched all the episodes, plus skimmed one of the novels.

It is very asexy. While the narrator character does have some hilarious attraction to another character, nothing happens between them (though she is consistently put in sexual-assault like positions by the titular character for dubious reasons), and the titular character is asexy. It seems like she may shun sexuality and the dating game consciously though. Correction: she treats sexuality as something she can use to get people to pay attention to her or get what she wants, but only in that way.

And there is definitely one asexual character - Yuki Nagato! I don't really want to give things away, so here is a spoiler tag:

She is an alien droid bookworm magician type thingamy, who is so awesome it's ridiculous.

Not to mention the narration of the series is always clever and humourous. I totally love this anime, and yet I'm not a big anime fan.

Thanks for posting this Parth! ^_^

I'll be sure to watch those video clips on youtube since the anime sounds interesting.

awesome anime, but very confusing cause the episodes are purposely out of order. at the end when they show the preview for the next episode, play the episode that Haruhi says, not the official 'next' episode. If you follow Haruhi, you get the story in the correct order. You *can* watch the show out of order, because the stories are all independent, but they do make conscious references to other events that you haven't seen yet and suddenly there's characters you didn't see before and then you 'meet' them later.

But it's all funny. xD

I had been meaning to watch this for a veeery long time, a friend of a friend had adviced me to.

I started downoading it, too, but changed computers... Thanks for the reminder!!!

Love this show! But yeah, the episode timeline is a bit o_O

I go according to the episodes on the DVD's... seeing as though I can't watch it on crunchyroll anymore.

I watched it in the order of the playlist I linked to, and it made sense that way. Though I didn't watch episode 00 til the end, it probably would have been better to watch right before the arts festival episode.

Thank you so much for posting this link. I'd been meaning to watch that anime for ages, but kept on forgetting to.

It's just so excellent.

This anime is fun ^^ Never got to watch all episodes, but I gotta be sure to do that . . .

I know the dance!! :D

*jumps up to dance the Hare Hare Yukai*

Aha! That dance is excellent!

I tried to get my friends to watch this show... they just wtf-ed the whole way through.

Great show, but I don't really think it's asexy(except for Yuki). Haruhi's pan/bisexual who's constantly harassing Mikuru. Kyon's a pervert who keeps naughty pictures on the computer. Mikuru's not asexual, just very shy.

• 2 months later...

I'm usually okay with the pseudo-philosophical stuff, but I just could not get into Haruhi. I think I watched in the intended order, not the broadcast order? Or the other way around? It's so confusing. I think I might give it another trying since everyone and their pet iguana seems to love it so much.

However...

The dance during the ending credits is the best.

• 2 months later...

I love that anime to pieces...I bought the entire series for $50...(Which, fo me, is a BUTTLOAD of money.)

awesome anime, but very confusing cause the episodes are purposely out of order. at the end when they show the preview for the next episode, play the episode that Haruhi says, not the official 'next' episode. If you follow Haruhi, you get the story in the correct order. You *can* watch the show out of order, because the stories are all independent, but they do make conscious references to other events that you haven't seen yet and suddenly there's characters you didn't see before and then you 'meet' them later.

But it's all funny. xD

Objection! Kyon (broadcast) order is the best way to watch it! The confusion just makes it better. The best part was having Kyon's first/Haruhi's 11th episode at the beginning so that after a few episodes in, you could rewatch the first episode again and realize stuff that you didn't notice before.

TheMuffinMan

Well, I've watched this anime, and surprisingly-very surprisingly-I liked it. Previously the only two anime I've liked were FLCL and Cowboy Bebop (and that one, not even all the episodes could hold my interest.) But I found this one just silly enough with just enough weird stuff going on to keep my interest.

However, I'd have to say it's not asexual. In fact, it's pretty blatantly sexual (though not as bad as some anime, and they actually get laughs out of me.) In fact, most people behave sexually to two or more figures. Now forgive my analysis, because I am horrible at remembering foreign names. Oh and Spoiler alert, you've been warned.

Haruhi-Constantly sexually harasses Mikuru, and the show is pretty obviously setting up a romantic relationship between her and Kyon.

Kyon-At first, seeing Mikuru undressed was an accident, but you know, saving pictures of her on the computer and mourning whenever he doesn't get to see her undressed? Yeah. Also the whole love/hate relationship with Haruhi.

Mikuru-The show hints pretty heavily that she's attracted to Kyon, but constantly advises him to not get too close to her,

because if she did Haruhi would get jealous and start unconsciously destroying the world.

That part's actually kinda tragic.

Actually, there are two that might qualify.

Nagato-She's never displayed any sexual attraction to anyone.

But considering that she's not actually human, and actually an interface created by a godlike data-entity for the purpose of communicating with humanity, this can hardly count.

Koizumi (spelling butchered)-This is actually probably the most likely candidate. He's never anything but polite and cordial, and doesn't seem affected by Mikuru getting undressed in front of him. It may just be that he's never been developed this far yet, but he seems pretty asexual to me so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Koizumi (spelling butchered)-This is actually probably the most likely candidate. He's never anything but polite and cordial, and doesn't seem affected by Mikuru getting undressed in front of him. It may just be that he's never been developed this far yet, but he seems pretty asexual to me so far.

Nope, you spelled Koizumi right(and the others). Koizumi gives off faint gay vibes really. He shows no interest in the girls, but he often invades Kyon's personal space and what not.

I love that anime to pieces...I bought the entire series for $50...(Which, fo me, is a BUTTLOAD of money.)

I don't want to think about how much I paid for mine. Got limited edition for all four volumes as Bandai got them out. Don't know the difference between the first version and the newer ones. Trying to cash in on a new show by putting out many versions? Too bad it works...

*has two versions of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann from Bandai*

Nope, you spelled Koizumi right(and the others). Koizumi gives off faint gay vibes really. He shows no interest in the girls, but he often invades Kyon's personal space and what not.

And stares at moles!

• 2 months later...

I highly recommend the books on Haruhi. It's got a few moments that are really not asexy, but they come and go like a fever. Kinda like being a teenager, I guess - one minute that stuff doesn't matter and the next it's hard to get out of your head.

I'm really disappointed in the new series. There are nine books they could've done, and the fourth one, while very confusing, is one awesome ride! But no, they decided to do the same episode... eight times! And then to follow it with the making of the movie? I will probably buy the first series someday, but I will never spend money on the second one.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the first series, but I haven't seen the second yet. It didn't strike me as particularly asexy, as per TheMuffinMan's analysis, however I'd never considered the possibility of Itsuki being asexual. The next time I watch it, I'll definitely try to see the asexyness. :)

And I have to agree that broadcast (or Kyon's) order is the best way to watch it first time around - after all, that was the way it was originally meant to be viewed, and I think it makes it more interesting. Not to mention you can then rewatch it in chronological (or Haruhi's) order and pick up on a bunch of things you missed the first time. :3

Archived