Fox News

asexual1976

... and despite the way they usually approach things not in the conservative mainstream, the article is fairly balanced. You can view it online here

2014 Edit - For future reference:

FOXSexpert: Asexuality - Is It Even Real?
Published January 12, 2009

Come again? That was my reaction the first time I heard about asexuality. It’s a hard concept to fathom. Imagine going through life with zero interest in sex. Try wrapping your head around the idea of never being sexually attracted to another human being.

Like others, I wondered what makes someone asexual, especially given that the term tends to be misused or abused. While many people refer to people or themselves as being asexual, if just for spells, it’s the exception to the rule.

Case in point: In 2004, psychologist Anthony Bogaert from Brock University in Ontario, Canada, reported only 1 percent of adults have never felt sexual attraction for anyone. This was based on a national probability sample of 18,000 individuals.

Just to make sure we’re on the same page, when we talk about asexuality, we’re not talking about celibacy. One who is celibate — abstaining from sexual intercourse — may still experience sexual desire and attraction. A person also chooses to be celibate, whereas a person doesn’t decide to be asexual.

Very few people consider themselves asexual in the truest sense of the term. This means these individuals claim to never experience sexual attraction or the desire to be sexually intimate. Some may have been sexual at some point in their lives, even having sexual urges. They simply do not have a hankering for sexual intimacy with other people.

Think it’s a bit far-fetched? Consider a 2007 study by the Kinsey Institute found that asexuals reported significantly lower sexual arousability than non-asexuals. They also reported less desire for sex with a partner and lower sexual excitation. At the same time, they didn’t differ from non-sexuals on sexual inhibition scores or the desire to masturbate.

While turned off to sex, some asexuals do want to be in a loving relationship, which may or may not involve sex. After all, they still have emotional needs. And they experience romantic attraction and the longing to be in a union.

Asexuals date and have romantic relationships with people who are asexual or not. Many are successful in maintaining long-term relationships. Some, though, simply like to be on their own or among friends.

The scientific research on asexuality is limited. There is debate within the scientific community as to if “asexuality” can be considered another type of sexual orientation, or if it’s more of a human condition. Then there’s the matter of whether asexuality is due to a medical cause, for example, a lack of particular hormones, or if it’s even considered an actual experience.

Some regard asexuality as more of a condition known as hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), which presents itself in two ways:

— A hormone imbalance or deficiency, psychological issues with sex, or a medical condition that disrupts the transmission of sexual messages to and from the brain.

— A person losing interest in sex and no longer being able to experience arousal. This may be due to stress, anxiety, anger, performance failure, depression or other emotional hardships.

Find yourself wondering if you’re asexual? Many males and females can certainly identify with periods in their lives where they have not been attracted to others or to the idea of having sex. At the same time, these times are often temporary and due to a specific cause -- for example, a death in the family or going through a divorce.

So don’t be so quick to chalk yourself up as asexual. Everyone is different when it comes to experiences with sex, relationships, attraction, desire and arousal. And this is definitely impacted by biological, psychological, and social factors, as well as opportunity.

Still think you’re asexual? If your lack of interest in sex or (potential) partners is causing you distress or interpersonal difficulties, then you may want to seek out medical and/or psychological assistance.

If you’re perfectly fine with your condition, but feel like you need support in our sex-crazed society, you may want to turn to The Asexual Visibility and Education Network. As one of the worldwide activist groups on asexuality, this online network seeks to garner awareness and educate others about the concerns of asexuals.

Those involved with asexuals may want to explore support groups as well. The key to being involved in a relationship where one partner is asexual is a mutual understanding. Both partners need to communicate and be willing to make compromises. Partners need to figure out ways they can meet the other’s emotional and sexual needs. And that sounds a lot like what’s required of a non-asexual relationship.

Dr. Yvonne K. Fulbright is a sex educator, relationship expert, columnist and founder of Sexuality Source Inc. She is the author of several books including, "Touch Me There! A Hands-On Guide to Your Orgasmic Hot Spots."

The article wasn't bad, but the headline 'Asexuality: is it even real?' made me gulp.

Imagine the uproar if Fox had posted an article with the headline 'Homosexuality: is it even real?'

Wow, something Fox put up that didn't give me the desire to rip heads off of innocent bunnies? Amazing.

I know, I'm in a bit of shock myself.

I liked the following excerpt:
Consider a 2007 study by the Kinsey Institute found that asexuals reported significantly lower sexual arousability than non-asexuals. They also reported less desire for sex with a partner and lower sexual excitation.

Well gee, who woulda thunk? :o

Fox News: "Fair, Balanced, and Stupid"

Eh, it was an alright article.

Consider a 2007 study by the Kinsey Institute found that asexuals reported significantly lower sexual arousability than non-asexuals. They also reported less desire for sex with a partner and lower sexual excitation.

Agreed! :lol: I laughed at that one pretty hard.

Not only is this really good for an article coming from Fox, but it's also written by a sex expert. It's good to know it isn't true that all sex experts assume we must be repressed freaks who must be cured, as is the impression given by people such as Joy Davidson.

Wasn't too bad, I was worried by the title. But dispite that, they wrote it fairly well, and even included a link to us.

It's important in science not to take anything for granted. If asexuals report less desire for sex with a partner, then, well, the average person on AVEN can go "I could have told you that!", but the fact that this has been verified through a scientific study means there's now scientific evidence supporting the theory that sexuals are not sexually attracted to people - as opposed to, you know, just taking on the name because it's a fad or something. Which means that all the sex therapists who whine and say "but but but there's no SCIENCE supporting it!" can be quiet now. So it's a step forward.

^^ Yeah, I realised that, of course. I found it rather funny, nonetheless.

Oh, oops. Literal interpretations strike again!

I do not like the tone of the article.

I thought the article was a little condescending, but was a lot better than some other blogs, news, videos, shows, I've seen on Asexuality.

To give them some credit the full quote was "Consider a 2007 study by the Kinsey Institute found that asexuals reported significantly lower sexual arousability than non-asexuals. They also reported less desire for sex with a partner and lower sexual excitation. At the same time, they didn’t differ from non-sexuals on sexual inhibition scores or the desire to masturbate." so the real point (IMO) was about the sexual attraction to other people being different, not that asexuals don't have any sexual experiences and attitudes at all. Or at least that's what I got out of it.

Lord Happy Toast

Fox News: "Fair, Balanced, and Stupid"

That actually came right out of the abstract of the study by the Kinsey instutite.

Asexuals reported significantly less desire for sex with a partner, lower sexual arousability, and lower sexual excitation

Okay, I just gained a lot of respect for Fox News. That was the most well researched, informative and balanced article on asexuality I have ever seen.

I still didn't like the tone.

The tone was a bit different. A bit outsider-ish? Like, "Whoa: New discovery from space!" :lol:

The tone was a bit different. A bit outsider-ish? Like, "Whoa: New discovery from space!" :lol:

Maybe we are actually aliens who were replaced in place of our parents real children so aliens could do experiments on these weird sexual creatures :ph34r:

I also think it's important that data like this--so obvious to us As--be validated scientifically. This is particularly true in light of the quote below:

The scientific research on asexuality is limited. There is debate within the scientific community as to if “asexuality” can be considered another type of sexual orientation, or if it’s more of a human condition. Then there’s the matter of whether asexuality is due to a medical cause, for example, a lack of particular hormones, or if it’s even considered an actual experience.

Some regard asexuality as more of a condition known as hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), which presents itself in two ways:

— A hormone imbalance or deficiency, psychological issues with sex, or a medical condition that disrupts the transmission of sexual messages to and from the brain.

— A person losing interest in sex and no longer being able to experience arousal. This may be due to stress, anxiety, anger, performance failure, depression or other emotional hardships.

So here we're told that "some" (I assume "some" experts) want to see asexuality as a subtype of HSDD. But HSDD is characterized by diminished arousal, specifically, while the Kinsey study reported (citing the article, bold mine):

Consider a 2007 study by the Kinsey Institute found that asexuals reported significantly lower sexual arousability than non-asexuals. They also reported less desire for sex with a partner and lower sexual excitation. At the same time, they didn’t differ from non-sexuals on sexual inhibition scores or the desire to masturbate.

Of course the author meant "they didn't differ from non-asexuals" with respect to (1) sexual inhibition and (2) the desire to masturbate. Which means that asexuals in general are not prudes, or sexually repressed, and that we also masturbate as much as sexuals do. Now that I find really intriguing. The point is, we are not in general suffering from Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder--although this might be a subtype of asexuality--because the two types of HSDD cited above involve a disruption of or absence of arousal--and many asexuals experience arousal.

Otherwise, this is clearly an outsider, but good for her for the effort. I was pretty turned off by the cutesy-poo-vixen come-and-get-me photo of the author, however. Gimme a break.

Channel4 news!

All well and go until C4 merge with Five and it starts being hosted by Natasha Kaplinsky. Then where will The Liberal Media Elite be? Hmm? Hmm?

You know, this means we may have an influx of conservatives.

Maybe we are actually aliens who were replaced in place of our parents real children so aliens could do experiments on these weird sexual creatures :ph34r:

Ah ha!! I knew it! ^_^

Lord Happy Toast
Of course the author meant "they didn't differ from non-asexuals" with respect to (1) sexual inhibition and (2) the desire to masturbate. Which means that asexuals in general are not prudes, or sexually repressed, and that we also masturbate as much as sexuals do. Now that I find really intriguing. The point is, we are not in general suffering from Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder--although this might be a subtype of asexuality--because the two types of HSDD cited above involve a disruption of or absence of arousal--and many asexuals experience arousal.

The DSM is actually self-contradictory on this point. For example, the big book that defines it says,

The essential feature of Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) is a deficiency or absence of sexual fantasies and desire for sexual activity.
However, it then has various subtypes, and among these are situational and generalized. "Generalized" refers to someone with no desire to sexual anything, partnered or alone. "Situational" refers to people who lack desire for their current partner but may have interest in other partners or in doing things alone (which are likely to involve some amount of fantasy.) And it's managed to go almost 3 decades with either no one noticing or (more likely) caring.

Archived