Still Waiting....

AVENguy

Ok, so as soon as we get the numbers I think we need to do some Viking-style raids on True Love Waits. Now I'm all for pointing out that sexuality is overplayed in society, but I don't know if that's QUITE the way to go about it. What's interesting are the liberal TLW kids (apparently there's a group of them at Stanford.) I should e-mail them. T'any rate, it would be interesting to drop into one of thier functions Minority-report style with some information on asexuality in my hand. I mean, an organization for sexual people who would rather not worry about sex just yet, thank you very much is akin to the Heterosexuals Only Men's Organization. Let's tactfully call it aerotic undertones. On the other hand there would be there would definitly be the usual smattering of disinterested bewildered confusion and disbelief at the notion of asexuality, not to mention some dizzyness at the notion that sex doesn't really matter that much. Thoughts? Ideas?

Ah. I read their site and found myself not at all surprised to find out they were a religous organization. What they are trying to do is, I think, a good thing considering the spreading of STDs and wonderful things like teen pregnancy which "waiting" will present.

The only thing I found really disconcerting was the advice given to parents on what to say to their teenage boy who is not dating. "It feels weird to be left out, especially when others seem comfortable, but don't force yourself to do something just to fit in. God wants you to trust His timing." It's fine right up to the bit about timing. Probably because that feels reminisent of my life, waiting and waiting for something to kick in that never did, but sure it was something that would change because it was just a matter of time. Without the input of people telling me it was a matter of time I would have accepted myself for who I was a lot sooner.

Really, as far as religous sites that say some pretty stupid things go, this one, http://www.exodusintl.org/ bothers me more.

Eta Carinae

Viking style raids? What precisely are you planning on doing?

I don't see anything on their site that seems specifically anti-asexual (granted, though, I didn't look very hard). There's a bunch of ignorance about asexuality, sure, but there doesn't seem to be things like "asexuals are unnatural" or "asexuals are unfortunate prudes." Emailing them to give them a heads up about our existence is fine, but anything beyond that? Color me wary. I know many people who are all too happy to berate Christians, and I'd rather not see this community engage in that.

Maybe pirate raid is a more apt metaphore. Charge in keyboards a-blazin and run off with a section of their constituency. Yo ho ho. I want to clarify that I wasn't out to poke fun at the christian aspect, but merely the idea that "true love" was really sex and neither could or should happen outside of the construct of marraige (heterosexuality implied).

I agree that letting kids know that nothing really bad happens to them if they don't have sex is a worthwhile endeavor, however I don't think that the way to go about it is by making them feel morally superior about abstaning from it (the antisexual part.)

It's relevant to asexuality because this is the probably the biggest social safe space in the country for people who don't to have sex, and it's one which gives harsh conflicting messages about asexuality. On the one hand asexuality is a moral virtue, but on the other sex is the One True Way to love somebody. Which is why a head's up e-mail (though I'm working on one) probably won't cut it to this group.

Eta Carinae

While your second to last sentence makes a good point, I can't help but think that maybe your goals are a bit. . . unrealistic, and your plans are likely to be viewed as irritating or even offensive. True Love Waits is a Christian organization. Their views on sex and marriage and abstainance are as deeply held and as true to them as your beliefs on asexuality are to you. Telling them they're wrong/heterosexist/what-have-you is likely going to be just as annoying to them as the whole "asexuality doesn't exist" bit is. Furthermore, even if they do accept and acknowledge asexuality's existence, expect it to be filtered through a Christian context. They're not going to turn into a secular organization, nor a liberal organization, and if your goal is to get them to move even slightly in that direction, just give up and don't bother them.

I was being sarcastic when I talked about sweeping in, obviously it's not a feasible thing to do (if is fun to think about, for me anyway. It's my activist streak.) Any contact I have with them would be in the form of respectful dialogue. Even if I think their process of going about what they do is flawed and potentially destructive it won' t be the first thing out of my mouth. I would engage them in a discussion about asexuality and its potential impacts on its organization (in my experience many christian groups accept asexuality as a sort of blessing. I'd get them to talk about the possibility that they have asexual kids in their ranks, and the responsability they have to give those kids proper sexual guidance (given the chance to have agood dialogue with someone from the organization, which will probably never happen.) I think that asexuality could be a useful dialogue for them.

• 4 weeks later...
PlatonicPimp

Well, If you need a Viking you know where to email me...

"And I've come to soil your dishtowels!"

(Veggie tales)

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering, avenguy, what it is that you have against this organization? i completely understand what they're trying for, and support the group. All they are trying to do is get teenagers to think about the future instead of doing what feels good now, as they are a Christian group they are trying to spread a part of the Christian message of abstinence, and they want the people they are reaching to know that in so many ways, mental, physical, emotional, the best choice is to be with one person only during their life. And that sex isn't everything in a relationship.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After reading this site, I found out something I never knew before:

Since I am an ~expert~ at abstaining, I can say to the sexual world at large:

"I AM PURER THAN THOU!!!"

;)

------------------------------------

Dunno about a "raid" that attacks the beliefs of these people, but I think that a polite post or two, and a link to our URL, might at least ~interest~ some of these people, and might even shed some light on people who are unaware they are asexual. (Or fill-in-the-blank.)

The reason why I think it might be a good idea is that this group is talking about sex in the first place. An asexual post won't seem out of place in a forum about "sex-after-marriage." Particularly if it's clear that no one is "attacking" their religion, nor their deeply held beliefs, but merely presenting an alternative.

What's with you people and resolving things peacfuly? Makes me wanna puke. I say we simte them, smite them all good.

Yes, this was ment only as a joke. If you think I'm serious you should seek proffesinal help, or perhaps I should. Eh, either way somone gets to jump around a padded room in a strait jaket.

boingy boingy boingy!

• 7 months later...

Vikings are fine, but it would be better if we had Agents to take care of these organised religious nuts!! :P

j/k - I respect people's beliefs as long as they don't force it on others...

Moose-Alini

I support Viking raids. It's in my blood after all!

Although I understand this isn't about religion, in reply to AgentNyder's post, I don't respect people's religious belief, especially if they try and force it on me.

Actually I concur Moose-Alini, I think I can more like ACCEPT that certain religious beliefs exist and people follow them (in particular Islam and Christianity) rather than RESPECT them.

Let us not forget cults! Very colorful, and sometimes good for a news story...or at least a mention in "The National Enquirer!" ;)

A Gorax clan?!! LOL!! I can just see the throngs of people wearing lime-green badges with "GIL" (Gorax Is Lord) stamped on them :lol:

That's only because Gorax ~is~ Lord! :D Gorax, what do you will of me? Should I send you all of my money and posessions in exchange for peace in the afterlife? Or are you not making bargains like that. (Usually the cult leader has to promise something that seems unattainable, in exchange for having a following...)

bard of aven

One of the hobby groups I hang out with actually does Viking raid reenactments, longboats and all. Call me if you need a berserker.

There is a break of seven chapters in the middle of Njal's Saga that has nothing to do with the rest of the story. Guy shows up in Iceland on a longboat preaching a new religion. Somebody challanges him to trial by combat. Newbie beats the guy to death with the stick he carries. Happens a few more times. While later, happens again at the Althing, and everybody joins the new religion. Turns out, he's a catholic bishop from Norway, and he is killing people with his crozier. Same religion, more or less, as the TLW folk, no? The only difference it makes to anybody is that, before they set out to burn Njal and his family to death in their house, they pray to Jesus instead of Thor.

boa

Actually, cults, groups and organisations are not for me.

I'd rather be a rogue independent operator (like Boba Fett) 8)

Oh come on. Surely you would like it if you had a servant to make you a sandwitch when you came back completely exhausted from a successful hunt :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If you're a woman, you get to have "handmaidens!" Cool! I could use people to bathe me, do my hair, dress me in the most stylish clothes, put on my makeup, etc.

Anyone with spare handmaidens, send them to me! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno. These guys look like door-knockers to me. You know the kind. They show up at your door with a bible and a glazed expression and, if you let 'em in even once, you'll never get rid of 'em.

Archived