Male circumcision

santanico

Male circumcision  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think - might male circumcision be related to asexuality?

• 1. No
    • 2. Maybe - for whatever reason
    • 3. Maybe - because circumcision is a traumatic experience
    • 4. Maybe - because circumcision reduces sensitivity of the penis
    • 5. Indifferent
  2. 2. Are you an asexual circumcised male?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm female or not asexual

This poll is closed to new votes

OK, obviously most circumcised men are not asexual and many As are not circumcised. But in the same way there are people who smoke and don't get lung cancer and vice versa. So there might be a connection between asexuality and circumcision. It's a fact that circumcision reduces sensivity of the penis for a number of reasons (see here) and therefore the ability to experience sexual arousal.

As for me, my glans is in fact the least sensitive part oy my whole body. I wonder if there is a connection to the fact that I'm asexual. Am I asexual because my penis is hardly sensitive or is it not sensitive because I'm asexual?

It will be interesting to see the results fo the poll, but I am guessing that it would not change a person's sexuality. Let's see how this goes.

I don't see how circumcision can effect a change in sexuality...it's a bit like saying that your name affects your eye colour to me.

At one stage was circumsion very popular?

In the UK only around 12% of 16-19 year old are circumcised, 20% of all those 40-44 are circumcised.

Today in England and Wales, less that 1% of newborns are circumcised.

I know it popular in the US around 56% of all newborns are circumcised.

I think it's more a cultural thing.

SlightlyMetaphysical

To me, asexuality isn't about how much pleasure you get from sex, it's about your sexual attraction to others. And so I don't see how one affects the other.

I don't see how circumcision can effect a change in sexuality...it's a bit like saying that your name affects your eye colour to me.

My point is: Children do not really masturbate but they enjoy sexual arousal by 'playing' with their sexual organs. Some circumcised children are not able to do that, very likely due to being circumcised. This could influence their sexual development, including their sexual orientiation.

Another point: Circumcision is mostly done without anesthesia. So circumcision is for most children the most traumatic experience in their life. That could also influence their sexual development.

From my point of view it IS a fact, that asexuality depends not only on genetic but also on enviromental factors. I have no idea what the enviromental factors could be, but maybe circumcision is one.

To me, asexuality isn't about how much pleasure you get from sex, it's about your sexual attraction to others. And so I don't see how one affects the other.

Sexual attraction is not the same as sex drive. But they are *very* strong related.

The name may not affect your eye color, but some studies show that it affects your personality and future career. :D

I wish I had a cool name <_<

The name may not affect your eye color, but some studies show that it affects your personality and future career. :D

I wish I had cool name <_<

I read that somewhere, those will unusual names tend to do unusual jobs, and those with more common names, tend to do more common job.

i.e. If you name is Jack your more likely to be Policeman and if your name is Constantine your more likely to be actor.

I think I'm gonna change my name to Constantine, I like that name.

I read that somewhere, those will unusual names tend to do unusual jobs, and those with more common names, tend to do more common job.

I can see how your name can be an influence on what you do in life.

I wish I had cool name <_<

*dittos that*

Although I don't think, if it goes to plan (and it sometimes doesn't), that it would ever single-handedly cause non-libidoism (and ergo asexuality), it could contribute to it, as could anything that reduces sexual sensation.

The 1% estimate we tend to work with comes from a study in the UK, where very few boys are circumcised, although if the statistics Fosco quotes are accurate then those studied could have had a higher rate of circumcision.

No I don't see a link. I'm not circumsized, though I think eventually I'll get circumsized. I don't know why, I just think I will. Quite odd.

Every male Jewish baby has been circumcised for thousands of years. So...unlikely hypothesis.

No I don't see a link. I'm not circumsized, though I think eventually I'll get circumsized. I don't know why, I just think I will. Quite odd.

Of all the things to think about! :)

My point is: Children do not really masturbate but they enjoy sexual arousal by 'playing' with their sexual organs. Some circumcised children are not able to do that, very likely due to being circumcised. This could influence their sexual development, including their sexual orientiation.

Another point: Circumcision is mostly done without anesthesia. So circumcision is for most children the most traumatic experience in their life. That could also influence their sexual development.

Kids DO masturbate; circumcision doesn't prevent that. When my kids were born in the US, everyone was automatically circumcised in the hospital; the parents weren't asked, it was just done. We parents definitely observed masturbation. If circumcision is done at birth, in the OR, anesthesia isn't given. If it's done later (when the child can be safetly anesthetized), it is given.

I don't know what environmental factors could cause asexuality. Maybe fear of sex due to traumatic events, but not true asexuality (i.e., not being attracted sexually to another person).

Actually it's not odd at all. Many adult men choose to have themselves circumcised. You'll find a huge resource about the pros and cons on the net.

Why in the States do they just start cutting up new babies?

It's a sick tradition.

Every male Jewish baby has been circumcised for thousands of years. So...unlikely hypothesis.

Hm...why? I'm sure there are asexual jews.

Kids DO masturbate; circumcision doesn't prevent that. When my kids were born in the US, everyone was automatically circumcised in the hospital; the parents weren't asked, it was just done. We parents definitely observed masturbation.

Of course they do. But not all of them. There are a lot of asexuals here, who didn't masturbate as child (and still don't). Maybe they didn't because they were asexual maybe they didn't because they were circumcised.

I found figures here that show that circumcised men indeed do masturbate less often (that doesn't proof anything, I know, but it's still interesting).

The proposition was that circumcision may cause asexuality. So therefore, if all male Jews are circumcised, they'd all be asexual. And they're not.

Circumcision has up to lately been common at birth in the US because it was thought to help prevent infection. It probably does; some AIDS researchers propose that circumcising men would lessen transmission of HIV.

The proposition was that circumcision may cause asexuality. So therefore, if all male Jews are circumcised, they'd all be asexual. And they're not.

Interesting logic ;) As you said circumcision may also prevent getting infected with AIDS. So, since all all male Jews are circumcised, no jew is supposed to be infected with AIDS.

Isn't that more of a physcial problem for you?

Not a sexuality problem?

As I said I, don't *know* if it's related to my sexuality. It's a physical problem but also slightly a psychological problem. They amputated an important part of my body (the foreskin).

carried in bags

im uncircumsised and my bell is also the less sensitive part of my body. it always had been

• 8 months later...

Come on thats like asking if you can make someone gay by gouging out there left eye its just a piece of skin

Interesting theory, but I can't see much of a link between the two. For example, my dad was circumsized around the age of 30. (Maybe TMI, but my mom was suffering from lots of yeast infections and this is what the doctor advised back in the early 1980s.) It didn't slow down their marriage or his dating life after they got divorced.

I do have to echo some of the other posts here, though. I always thought this was a cruel and unusual thing to do to a baby. But I know some people swear by it, like it's so much neater for diaper changing and such. I still think it's weird, though.

I'm an asexual, circumcised male. I think it is conceivable that circumcision could affect how an individuals experiences the act of sex, but I don't see how it could affect that individual's urge to have sex.

Why in the States do they just start cutting up new babies?

Back in the late 1800 doctors thought masturbation caused all kinds of things, not just blindness and hairy palms but insanity and real disease. Circumcision was recommended to decrease the pleasure of masturbation in young boys. The foreskin protects the glans of the penis from contact, once removed the glans will harden and lose sensitivity. At least thats what some studies say, other say there no effect. Wikipedia has an interesting article on it. Once it became common it was done more and more regularly because it was done, so from lessening sexual pleasure to because everyone else is doing.

• 3 months later...
OK, obviously most circumcised men are not asexual and many As are not circumcised. But in the same way there are people who smoke and don't get lung cancer and vice versa. So there might be a connection between asexuality and circumcision. It's a fact that circumcision reduces sensivity of the penis for a number of reasons (see here) and therefore the ability to experience sexual arousal.

As for me, my glans is in fact the least sensitive part oy my whole body. I wonder if there is a connection to the fact that I'm asexual. Am I asexual because my penis is hardly sensitive or is it not sensitive because I'm asexual?

if i'm not mistaken every boy born in the united states is circumsized after their born with their parents consent. So that's like a big chunk of the male population right?

In many cultures worldwide people practice circumcision on females in an effort reduce sexuality (and therefore marital infedility). Proportionately speaking what they do to girls is much worse than what they do to boys- although I do not agree with either. It is not a perfect comparison becuase if they did to boys what they did to girls usually the penis would be completely removed. Anyway I am rambling, the point is that people do think there is a link between altering genitals and sexuality.

Archived