Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

7 hours ago, AbbySaysHi said:

Ok don’t even get me started about those stupid relationship reality shows. My girlfriend and her mom watch them and I just don’t get it (ie the bachelor, love island, etc.) like 1: nobody’s gonna have a lasting relationship from like 3 weeks or whatever. And 2: do people really want sex that bad or is it for drama or something 

Oh, my mom does too! I don't understand the interest in watching that kind of thing, all the characters' behaviors as well as the whole thing is really bizarre. They seem to be living in some other reality that has nothing to do with anything. It's a very annoying thing to have to overhear; they all act so dramatic and over-the-top, and their trains of thought hardly resemble actual logic. Also, why would anyone submit themselves to such strange environments? And it's, as far as I can tell, primarily about money and attention, not love, so how can any of them expect a real, fully functional relationship to endure out of it? Or maybe the majority simply don't and are pretending otherwise? I can't answer any of those questions, all I know is the entire business is truly absurd.

• Like 1

I thought of another one. When I was about sixteen, some of my teammates and I competed in a national swim meet. One of these teammates was a guy whom I will call R. He was quite sexual and open about it. After a practice session, R said to me, "It's time to play doctor." I cocked my head to one side and replied, "Aren't you too old for make-believe games?" R's response was to give me the blankest stare I have ever seen.

• Like 7
On 2/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, mercaesan said:

I learned this with buttercups as, if your chin turns yellow, then you love butter! Or maybe it was about another person all along, and I was just a confused kid, I don't know.

This is what I learned too! 

• Like 1
WhoReallyCares

I was trying to apply to an Ace Hardware store and I couldn't stop smiling.

Also for 2 nights in a row, I had dreams of seeing a really tall ace flag somewhere, one place was a barn, and I wanted to buy one, but I didn't. It was being covered with lots and lots of other pride flags both times, and in both I had to look really hard to see if I could find it. I did find it just barely, it was hard to spot because of all the others were covering it up.

Dreams, am I right?

(Unnecessary sound effects)

• Like 5
Cowgirl_Kat
On 4/19/2021 at 10:54 PM, WhoReallyCares said:

Also for 2 nights in a row, I had dreams of seeing a really tall ace flag somewhere, one place was a barn, and I wanted to buy one, but I didn't. It was being covered with lots and lots of other pride flags both times, and in both I had to look really hard to see if I could find it. I did find it just barely, it was hard to spot because of all the others were covering it up.

Dreams, am I right?

(Unnecessary sound effects)

All of my ace related dreams are that I'm out to my family and everyone is just cool with it. No fuss, just chill. Then I wake up and remember I'm only out to my best friend, and that's it. And remember the reasons why it is probably a bad idea to come out to my family at least for now.

I like your dream better lol.

• Like 3

I don't have "ace related dreams..." so to say. I have "Dreams that flash past the sexy parts, like a PG to PG-13 movie..." or "Dreams where sex doesn't come up at all" 
Heck, most of mine center around these topics: 

1) I'm back in the Military again, only the MOS I'm working is as my current job (Insurance Claims Analyst)

2) Moving dreams (usually involve husband and I buying a really cool house in a place like the mountains or an island)

3). Dead relatives talking to me. 

• Like 1

Hah, I think my dreams are "ace dreams" in the aspect of them mostly being about adventures and fantastical worlds, and food and dragons might make a regular appearance in them :'D Well, sometimes the dreams might veer into, like, thriller territory for a bit, but mostly they're just interesting! Used to hate waking up as a kid because my dreams were like watching cartoons :'D 

• Like 3

A friend was recently confiding in me that they were feeling restless during the pandemic and then they were like “or maybe I just need to get laid” 

cannot relate! Also I know this has been brought up before on these forums maybe even this topic but the fact that people are losing it during this pandemic bc they can’t have sex with random people is something I for real will never understand🤦‍♀️

Edited by beankat
  • Like 10
9 hours ago, Aloney said:

Hah, I think my dreams are "ace dreams" in the aspect of them mostly being about adventures and fantastical worlds, and food and dragons might make a regular appearance in them :'D Well, sometimes the dreams might veer into, like, thriller territory for a bit, but mostly they're just interesting! Used to hate waking up as a kid because my dreams were like watching cartoons :'D 

I relate.... except when they’re not and they’re like uncomfortable stressy situations. One time I had a nightmare about an acquaintance who said he was gonna try and rape me because I was asexual but I woke myself up before he did more than dig his nails into my hands.... actually I guess that one was pretty bad. But the rest are a lot more mild. 

• Like 2

finding a woderful song with a great beat, until the lyrics turn into something sexual. You having to turn it off because you're finding it uncomfortable (*cough* *cough* shape of you *cough* *cough*) #Asexual problems #I just want to listen to music, not be reminded of this bull #RIP ear buds

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Sarartic said:

finding a woderful song with a great beat, until the lyrics turn into something sexual. You having to turn it off because you're finding it uncomfortable (*cough* *cough* shape of you *cough* *cough*) #Asexual problems #I just want to listen to music, not be reminded of this bull #RIP ear buds

OH MY GOSH... this happened to me the other day. Way to ruin my favorite songs from when I was 10. 

• Like 2
WhoReallyCares

spacer.pngI'm an aro/ace and I believe this fortune I got 2 days ago was filled with nothing but irony! When I saw it, I laughed out loud.

• Like 13
On 4/21/2021 at 11:27 PM, MoonSedai said:

3). Dead relatives talking to me. 

That's so cool! My mom gets dreams like that and I can be a little envious of it. Not that I should complain, I often get really fun weird dreams.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, Aloney said:

Yes, mine are kind of like that. They can get very fantastical, with a few very memorable dragons (one serpent-bodied one had gray stone-like scales encrusted with black gems, it was so beautiful!!) As a writer I can get story ideas from my dreams, they often have a decent plot or theme hidden in all the randomness, and very distinctive characters, on occasion complete with names! Lately I have remembered parts of narration or stuff from the last part before I wake up (the actual words, not just the general sense of it) which is really neat. Of course they can also get pretty creepy at times, but I'm proud of the fact that I am sometimes enough aware I am dreaming to pull myself out of very scary situations.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, WhoReallyCares said:

spacer.pngI'm an aro/ace and I believe this fortune I got 2 days ago was filled with nothing but irony! When I saw it, I laughed out loud.

I would either laugh too, or go, "aha, so I will work on fleshing out the relationship between [those-two-characters-in-my-book-who-are-interested in-each-other-romantically]."

(This reminds me of when tarot or [more regularly] oracle deck booklets give either a potential romantic meaning for nearly every card or one specific card or two have only romance-related meanings. Doesn't happen often, fortunately, but it definitely has happened.)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, WhoReallyCares said:

That would suck. I can't imagine being too impressed if I got the same. If I was with friends or family, they no doubt would have comments.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, an~imperial~votress said:

I'm proud of the fact that I am sometimes enough aware I am dreaming to pull myself out of very scary situations.

Ditto, but I don’t like doing it because then I have to calm down and go back to sleep. Honestly I am usually in full control of waking up most of the time with a little effort. 

• Like 1
Cowgirl_Kat
2 hours ago, an~imperial~votress said:

(This reminds me of when tarot or [more regularly] oracle deck booklets give either a potential romantic meaning for nearly every card or one specific card or two have only romance-related meanings. Doesn't happen often, fortunately, but it definitely has happened.)

One of my professors does Tarot card readings. I remember two of my friends and I were getting our cards read. I had a couple of potentially romance related cards and they kept giving me looks and giggling. 🙄 Like romance really isn't much of a priority for me (even as a heteroromatic ace). I don't remember the details too much. Other than one of my friend's cards were essentially several repeats of "break up with your boyfriend/ you're in an unhappy relationship." She ignored it. It was very obviously true. 🤦 And would come to fruition a few months later.

I don't believe in Tarot cards, but sometimes the irony is amusing.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, an~imperial~votress said:

Yes, mine are kind of like that. They can get very fantastical, with a few very memorable dragons (one serpent-bodied one had gray stone-like scales encrusted with black gems, it was so beautiful!!) As a writer I can get story ideas from my dreams, they often have a decent plot or theme hidden in all the randomness, and very distinctive characters, on occasion complete with names! Lately I have remembered parts of narration or stuff from the last part before I wake up (the actual words, not just the general sense of it) which is really neat. Of course they can also get pretty creepy at times, but I'm proud of the fact that I am sometimes enough aware I am dreaming to pull myself out of very scary situations.

Oh yay, I write too! :D And I do get inspiration from my dreams, have kept dream diary on and off, for this purpose. The most notable dragon that I remember from a dream had six legs, no wings but could fly, and a long body covered in huge scales that were literal mirrors, I remember it looking very cool, although the best description that I can come up with now would be "disco ball-esque" :'D 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, an~imperial~votress said:

This reminds me of when tarot or [more regularly] oracle deck booklets give either a potential romantic meaning for nearly every card or one specific card or two have only romance-related meanings. Doesn't happen often, fortunately, but it definitely has happened.

Haha, me and my friend do tarot readings every now and then, and I just remembered the time that I got the literal Lovers, the most romantic good-vibe lovey dovey card in the whole deck, and just started laughing xD Although then again, it's just a very positive card and has other meanings aside from romance, it can also apply to other types of relationships and such :D So I took it to mean I'm having good vibes with friends, and I did! :D I use tarot as a kind of a self-study tool, it's pretty meditative to think through things, through the cards. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, AbbySaysHi said:

Ditto, but I don’t like doing it because then I have to calm down and go back to sleep. Honestly I am usually in full control of waking up most of the time with a little effort. 

I used to wake myself up like that; I often couldn't wake up for a little while and had to sort of supervise where the dream was heading until I could actually wake up. (Once I "woke up" in the dream and was walking down the hallway of my house, then actually woke up in my room.) Now more likely I attempt to change the course of the dream. It's technically lucid dreaming because I'm aware I'm dreaming, but sadly knowing it's all something created by my mind doesn't automatically get rid of the scary stuff. I don't know if this reflects more on my skill at lucid dreaming or the way my imaginative mind is built (where it is easier to come up with a method of escape that to disbelieve something even if I know on some level it isn't real).

12 hours ago, Cowgirl_Kat said:

One of my professors does Tarot card readings. I remember two of my friends and I were getting our cards read. I had a couple of potentially romance related cards and they kept giving me looks and giggling. 🙄 Like romance really isn't much of a priority for me (even as a heteroromatic ace). I don't remember the details too much. Other than one of my friend's cards were essentially several repeats of "break up with your boyfriend/ you're in an unhappy relationship." She ignored it. It was very obviously true. 🤦 And would come to fruition a few months later.

I don't believe in Tarot cards, but sometimes the irony is amusing.

That sounds a bit familiar. People can be very good at ignoring the details they don't like in a reading in favor of the ones they do. I think a lot of the time people have tarot (or other sorts of) readings just to validate the opinion they already have about a problem. This is the main reason I try to be aware of the conclusions I make from a reading, because it can be easy to make whatever conclusions you feel like to make it say something you want it to say. (Of course, if you are conscious of what it is you want it to say, you are further along in working out the issue because you know where you stand even if you weren't previously admitting or aware you stood there.) If I were to not believe in tarot cards, it would be for the human aspect of it. Both the interpretations of the humans involved, and even more so, the humans who wrote the meanings in the booklet.

7 hours ago, Aloney said:

Haha, me and my friend do tarot readings every now and then, and I just remembered the time that I got the literal Lovers, the most romantic good-vibe lovey dovey card in the whole deck, and just started laughing xD Although then again, it's just a very positive card and has other meanings aside from romance, it can also apply to other types of relationships and such :D So I took it to mean I'm having good vibes with friends, and I did! :D I use tarot as a kind of a self-study tool, it's pretty meditative to think through things, through the cards. 

It can really annoy me when it's all about romantic stuff, which often seems to be the first thing to pop into anyone's mind to talk about during a reading. (It's one of the reasons I don't want anyone to do readings for me if I don't know them well; I do enjoy doing readings for myself. I love how you can use it to explore and learn more about yourself as well as any matter at hand that way.) I have a bit of annoyance with the Lovers because it's the one whose romantic implications are trickiest to escape. In actuality, it has two very different meanings associated with it, love and making a choice, but then a person wouldn't know that because the love one makes more sense in the context of what it's called. I don't even know which meaning I prefer for that card, because while I do feel that the association with choice is a bit out of place, if it only meant romantic love the card would be basically meaningless to me. I like your interpretation, because it is still fitting in its own way to the meaning of the card, and doesn't have to have anything to do with romance.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Aloney said:

Oh yay, I write too! :D And I do get inspiration from my dreams, have kept dream diary on and off, for this purpose. The most notable dragon that I remember from a dream had six legs, no wings but could fly, and a long body covered in huge scales that were literal mirrors, I remember it looking very cool, although the best description that I can come up with now would be "disco ball-esque" :'D 

Dreams are extremely good for inspiration, you can even say they're designed for it because they take all sorts of pieces of information and shake them up and combine them. I've kept a record of my dreams for several sections of my life with consistency, but with gaps in between. Right now I don't have a specific notebook set aside for the purpose so memorable dreams are more or less spread out over all the notebooks with no one purpose instead. (The fact is that I get picky about random things and I have to find a notebook with stars, moon, or constellations on the cover to dedicate to it.)

That sounds so pretty, and so amazing to witness! I love dragons in dreams, they are always so interesting, both to look at and to talk with. I've had some weird dream-dragon conversations for sure, often very informative ones. Often they have some sort of complaint against humans. (A modern-day dragon with a horde full of plastic and shiny bits of foil is affected by habitat loss and changing times [and littering]; the powerful amulet a dragon is being hunted down for by whole human armies is being used to guard a very precious egg.)

• Like 2

Talking to 2 friends. They were talking about something they googled before... “how to save your relationship for 30 days” or something like that

one of my friends said “there wasn’t anything about sex, not even once!!!!”

uhmm. Yeah, should it? Is it really THAT important?

• Like 4
Bronztrooper

Ordered a new ace flag mask (one of the ones you pull over your head and wear around your neck) and it showed up a few days ago.  My dad ended up opening it because he thought it was a mask he ordered, but luckily he doesn't know about the ace flag (not that he'd get on my case about it- it's just that I don't want to have to explain why I bought it).  Good substitute for wearing an ace ring, and inspires less questions from my dad since I don't really wear jewelry.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, an~imperial~votress said:

sadly knowing it's all something created by my mind doesn't automatically get rid of the scary stuff. I don't know if this reflects more on my skill at lucid dreaming or the way my imaginative mind is built (where it is easier to come up with a method of escape that to disbelieve something even if I know on some level it isn't real).

Yeah... sometimes when my very goal is to avoid a nightmare my head starts coming up with stuff that’s uncomfortable. It really depends. Like I would be like oh it would be really bad if this happens and then oh look it’s happening. 

• Like 2
GuildedGoblin

So any time I played any video game that allowed you to put numbers on your shirt( eg. Soccer games) I would always chose 69 b cause i thought it represented the twin star group however I have recently discovered that it is a sex number

• Like 6
13 hours ago, Acecream said:

Talking to 2 friends. They were talking about something they googled before... “how to save your relationship for 30 days” or something like that

one of my friends said “there wasn’t anything about sex, not even once!!!!”

uhmm. Yeah, should it? Is it really THAT important?

Well it seems people take it to be important 😅 Although I think whatever advice your friends found seems a lot better than just saying "Just have more sex or try new things with it, it'll be fine!" :D 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GuildedGoblin said:

So any time I played any video game that allowed you to put numbers on your shirt( eg. Soccer games) I would always chose 69 b cause i thought it represented the twin star group however I have recently discovered that it is a sex number

So, true story: my ex (he's asexual) always thought that '69' was a reference to the famous 'Summer of Love' (which was actually 1967, not 1969). He knew it kinda had something to do with relationships in some way, but he was thinking it was a reference to the hippie movement and 'free love' and all that. Someone told him in university what it actually was...

• Like 7

You know the bisexual anthem? 

"you can not date both pick a side pick a side do you like f***ing girls or do you like f***ing guys?"

yeah, i thought they used "f***ing" as an adjective not a verb until recently and i was like "hUh"

• Like 4
4 hours ago, CBC said:

So, true story: my ex (he's asexual) always thought that '69' was a reference to the famous 'Summer of Love' (which was actually 1967, not 1969). He knew it kinda had something to do with relationships in some way, but he was thinking it was a reference to the hippie movement and 'free love' and all that. Someone told him in university what it actually was...

My brother knew ahead me (we were teens) what it meant. @CBC Before the interchanges on the 401 were renumbered to kilometers they just had a number starting at Windsor. One of the exits in Oshawa was #69. One night we were heading over to Whitby and passed the sign that had been altered to read 'EXIT 69ER'. Brother started to laugh. 'What's so funny?' I asked. 'Nothing' he replied.

I think it was a year or two later when I was working up north as a 17 year old and guys were telling sex jokes one night in the bunkhouse. Heard the joke:

TMI warning

Spoiler

Q: What's the Chinese version of 69? A: Two Can Chew  

Me: "Ohhhhhh..... Now I get it."

• Like 1