Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

24 minutes ago, Osiyo_Waya said:

I honestly wish this was the case for me, lol.

Ha! One of my powers seems to be unnoticeability. It's a blessing and a curse, though. Harder to get noticed when I want to be noticed, like when getting food at a restaurant or cafe, for example. :P 

• Like 9
On 11/3/2020 at 8:08 AM, lilsciencenerd said:

I grew up fantasizing about the hot boys in my school liking me.....so that I could reject them and assert my Powerful Woman-ness. I daydreamed about how I would reject them and how cool my classmates would think I was. not one of those daydreams ended with me & a boy getting together. HAHA anna u absolute idiot how did you not even suspect you were ace

I did this my entire childhood/school life and only made this connection today. at least I'm consistently dumb;) 

Hahahah I find this so hilarious and cool at the same time 😂😂 It’s so refreshing to listen to fantasies like this lol. Makes the fantasy pool more diverse, for sure 😂👍 Can’t say I’m sorry it didn’t materialize though, why break some poor boy’s heart just for the show? 😜

I did have a crush at school though. He made me laugh SO much with his silly jokes, and I admired his mind and wit and daydreamed about us together, that he’d see what a great pair we could make. I was about 15. But it was never anything romantic physically. I never thought of us kissing etc, it was more like, we’d be close yayyyy and talk about interesting things for hours, laugh, and mayyybe hold hands? Whatever, the important was we’d talk more LOL and I’d have more of his attention mentally.

We never addressed anything openly to each other (good, he’d never agree lol he’s definitely sexual), and it was tough for me at first, but I quickly learned to just appreciate his presence, whenever he was there. After we graduated, we’ve texted a few times, some conversations lasting like 5 hours. So, in a way, I got a bit of what I wanted 😊

He was my only “kinda close to normal” crush 😛 Haven’t pursued anything similar since.

• Like 2

I know I just posted here, I just really want to get out of my chest a little something about a few days ago. I went to my drawing lesson and it was a fun time. Teacher, other guys and girls are friendly, we draw, we discuss art and stuff.

It’s just, in an environment like this, I relax and become more spontaneous. I don’t interrupt or anything, I just talk a tiny bit more without thinking, so when the teacher, say, jokingly says something about a drawing, I jokingly say something back. Never disrespectful, just a “don’t think I only agree with what you say” type of thing. It’s art 😂 it’s kind of expected to have back-and-forth like this. And then I internally panicked, that this “funny disagreement” thing could be misinterpreted as flirting? I’m 21 and he’s about 35 so I guess it’s not illegal, but still, NO!! I don’t know how to explain it, but it felt like I accidentally “raised the temperature” every time I said something 😳 I was just having a good time! It’s probably linked to a similar, negative experience I have, that I just have a good time and someone older thinks I’m flirting. Anyway, I kind of “froze” after that and tried not to speak much, so things would cool down. And hated myself for hours 🙃

Maybe it’s all in my head. Sorry if it’s too weird. Do you guys find yourselves in situations like this? I mean, acting naturally and feeling being misinterpreted? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Barbara101 said:

I know I just posted here, I just really want to get out of my chest a little something about a few days ago. I went to my drawing lesson and it was a fun time. Teacher, other guys and girls are friendly, we draw, we discuss art and stuff.

It’s just, in an environment like this, I relax and become more spontaneous. I don’t interrupt or anything, I just talk a tiny bit more without thinking, so when the teacher, say, jokingly says something about a drawing, I jokingly say something back. Never disrespectful, just a “don’t think I only agree with what you say” type of thing. It’s art 😂 it’s kind of expected to have back-and-forth like this. And then I internally panicked, that this “funny disagreement” thing could be misinterpreted as flirting? I’m 21 and he’s about 35 so I guess it’s not illegal, but still, NO!! I don’t know how to explain it, but it felt like I accidentally “raised the temperature” every time I said something 😳 I was just having a good time! It’s probably linked to a similar, negative experience I have, that I just have a good time and someone older thinks I’m flirting. Anyway, I kind of “froze” after that and tried not to speak much, so things would cool down. And hated myself for hours 🙃

Maybe it’s all in my head. Sorry if it’s too weird. Do you guys find yourselves in situations like this? I mean, acting naturally and feeling being misinterpreted? 

You're in your right to be friendly and have fun with others. If they take it further or as flirting, then I guess you just need to point out that it was just in friendliness. It's something lots of people especially girls have to do sometimes.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Osiyo_Waya said:

I honestly wish this was the case for me, lol.

For whatever reason, I seem to give off a very approachable vibe. Friends tend to come to me for advice a lot, and I remember back in school kids who I swore I had never said a word to would know my name and just start conversations with me out of nowhere. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd be out in public, and some random stranger will just start chatting with me casually as if we're old buds catching up. I'm a low key, keep to themselves type of person, and I always seem to stand out in a crowd. I mean, I suppose there are worse ways to be received, but still, it's odd.

I gotten some of that, but that's mainly due to the fact that I look like a lot of people so I get confused for other people from time to time, so it probably doesn't count.

I have been told a couple times while chatting with someone online (specifically someone I'd only started talking with that day/night) that apparently I'm easy to talk to, but I'm not really sure how I qualify- I just.... talk, you know?

When it comes to people I know irl, I had one point where almost everyone I was around most of the time would end up venting to me when we were alone, which I viewed as being a mixed bag- on one hand it meant that apparently I was a good listener, but on the other hand with everyone venting to me I had no one to vent to irl (and I'm the kind of person that doesn't want people trying to offer me solutions when I'm venting- if I'm looking for help, I'll ask for it, but if I'm just venting, trying to offer a solution is just gonna annoy and frustrate me because it keeps me focused on the subject when I just want to air my overall frustrations without getting into the nitty-gritty of it).  Outside of those I know well, most people don't really talk to me, though it's most likely due to the people around me rather than being about me (one job I was at I had a bunch of people trying to be friends with me when all I wanted to do was focus on my work and go home)- at least, that's what I think it is.

Probably doesn't help that I also keep to myself around most people.  I open up a lot more around people I'm used to, but most of the time I don't interact with people unless I have to.

11 hours ago, Barbara101 said:

I don't really have that, but I do have it where I get paranoid about things I want to say- specifically complements on stuff like people's hair- and I wind up not saying anything because I'm paranoid that they'll interpret it as flirting and I'd rather avoid the potential awkwardness from that.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

I have been told a couple times while chatting with someone online (specifically someone I'd only started talking with that day/night) that apparently I'm easy to talk to, but I'm not really sure how I qualify- I just.... talk, you know?

Yeah, I get that a lot too. I do consider myself a good listener, and I've been told that I have a calming presence. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Barbara101 said:

This is an interesting read, as I feel almost the complete opposite. I don't think people take my friendliness for flirting, but I often find myself thinking if the other person is flirting or just being friendly, and that makes me awkward even if the other person probably is just being friendly.

Do y'all think flirting and being friendly are somehow different as actions or do they only differ in their motives? Are there some charasteristic traits, phrases or other notable things that make flirting flirting instead of being a decent, nice human being? (Apart from the most obvious sexual references etc.)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Onomatopoet said:

Do y'all think flirting and being friendly are somehow different as actions or do they only differ in their motives? Are there some charasteristic traits, phrases or other notable things that make flirting flirting instead of being a decent, nice human being? (Apart from the most obvious sexual references etc.)

I'm inclined to think it's a matter of degree? The behaviour seems ultimately very similar, but flirting takes it up a level in terms of focus. That said, I'm terrible at identifying it myself...

The ace moment that comes to mind was a couple of years ago. I was taking a tour of new uni students around the library I worked at back then and there was one guy who was... Being very attentive to the tour.

The thing is, when nervous I smile - a lot - and tend to talk in a joking fashion. Doing a tour, I was definitely nervous, though I knew what I was talking about. This guy was reacting to my joking and I assumed he was just being friendly (and maybe for once actually interested in the library. Chances.)

Then at the end of the tour he asked if he'd see me around... My reaction was, "uh yes, probably? I work here..."

It was only about two hours later it dawns on me, wait, was that poor guy flirting with me?! I mean, he offered to carry my books. All two of them. I couldn't take it seriously and just laughed at him, but looking back at it... He looked a bit crushed. And what were the chances he thought my nerve-induced jokes and customer-service manners were me flirting back?

As an aside to that, I told a friend about it later and her reaction was:

"Ooh. Was he cute?"

Me: "Um..." (Can't remember what he looked like.)

Her: "You should try to meet him again, he might be really nice!"

Me: "...Why would I want to??"

What followed was a long conversation in which I basically ended up coming out as aro-ace for the first time. 😅

• Like 10

I recently came out, and I’ve been spending a lot of time on the internet learning about asexuality. It shocked me to learn that some people see random strangers who are hot and think things like “rail me!” Because to me, hot is just saying that a person is physically attractive or aesthetically pleasing. Oops. 

• Like 6

I ran for my high school cross country team and on long runs we would sometimes make up stories, where everyone would say a sentence or two. Everyone else would try to make couples and have them do romantic things, but whenever my turn came around I would always break up or kill off the couples in the stupidest way possible 😂

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, LetzLill said:

I recently came out, and I’ve been spending a lot of time on the internet learning about asexuality. It shocked me to learn that some people see random strangers who are hot and think things like “rail me!” Because to me, hot is just saying that a person is physically attractive or aesthetically pleasing. Oops. 

I  used to think that "horny" meant you thought people looked aesthetically pleasing...I shouldn't be so surprised by this...

• Like 2
lilsciencenerd
On 11/4/2020 at 7:07 PM, Barbara101 said:

This is something that I worry about too sometimes! Like I don't ever think about it consciously, but after having interactions with some people I realize that it might possibly have been misinterpreted. And I've had it happen before where I think I'm just casually joking with a male classmate or coworker (because I often mirror my humor with whoever I'm around, and guys tend typically to be more "teasing" when they talk to girls, so I tease them back), and then it turns out later down the line that they thought it was flirting. Usually I realize when they start texting me in a flirty way....and then I panic and my only tactic is to essentially ghost them (bad move, I know). I thought we were just being friendly and fun, but I guess they thought I was into them. That's why I've sort of subconsciously/unintentionally gravitated toward friendships with men who are in relationships, because I trust that if they're worth being friends with, they won't try or assume anything. But it's not like the guys that I "flirt" (big quotation marks) with are bad or untrustworthy or sketchy in any way--usually I'm decent casual friends with them by the time they try to take things further. They just misread my friendliness and put me in an awkward situation. 

But one huge caveat is that I honestly don't know how I'd act if I was flirting, or how someone would act if they were flirting with me. Like I can tell when it gets to the text/messaging stage because it becomes pretty obvious and makes me cringe and throw my phone away then, but in person? I just think wow, this person's nice and has a great sense of humor! Let's be friends!

9 hours ago, Onomatopoet said:

To me, they're pretty similar, but also I have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't know if the guys that I disappoint (lol) engage with me because they think I'm flirting with them, or because I respond to/reciprocate their type of humor and they like that. I know it's (bad) flirting usually when people say "you're too pretty to...[do something]" or anything else mentioning appearance or attractiveness . But I'm really not sure how being friendly by joking around and flirting by joking around differ. Personally, I am always just being friendly and never flirting, so that makes me think that others work the same way. I only find out later when it's not the case. My hope is always that they'll see me interact with my non-single friends the same way and realize I'm not giving them special treatment, but alas, sometimes that doesn't work. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, lilsciencenerd said:

To me, they're pretty similar, but also I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I adore this sentence structure. From now on, whenever I state an opinion, I'm going to use this structure. I think it's fantastic, but also I have no idea what I'm talking about.

19 hours ago, Tenshia said:

I'm inclined to think it's a matter of degree? The behaviour seems ultimately very similar, but flirting takes it up a level in terms of focus.

Could be! On the other hand I see myself get very focused on conversations because I, uh, really just like talking with people. If I ever ended up flirting, the focus would probably be through the roof, then.

Also, as you're new, here's some cake! Welcome to AVEN!

Gluten-Free-Paleo-Keto-Chocolate-Cake-by

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Onomatopoet said:

I adore this sentence structure. From now on, whenever I state an opinion, I'm going to use this structure.

Just wanted to quickly add proof to show that I'm a dragon of my word: 

But also I have no idea what I'm talking about

• Like 4

Recent newly aware ace moment:

Looking at the ace flag;

I do like those colours

Looking down at what I'm wearing;

Purple tights, black skirt, black and grey top, purple cardigan

Contemplating wardrobe;

90% black, grey and purple.

Hmm.

Turns out I've been a walking ace flag for a while now...?! 

@Onomatopoet thanks! *Takes a bite of chocolate cake* 😋

Edited by Tenshia
  • Like 7
On 11/5/2020 at 8:57 AM, Sarah-Sylvia said:

You're in your right to be friendly and have fun with others. If they take it further or as flirting, then I guess you just need to point out that it was just in friendliness. It's something lots of people especially girls have to do sometimes.

First off, thank you all for commenting on what I said, and for sharing your thoughts and experiences on the subject. I was honestly feeling so bad the day I wrote that, I was almost convinced I had written a bunch of weird stuff no one cares about and it’s better if I delete it...yep, bad day 😅

Thanks Sarah for your reassuring words 😊 I guess it’s just one more thing to navigate through, to be yourself, and if misinterpreted, clarify. It’s... one of the reasons I loved being a teen. By my late teens I had kind of realized friendliness and flirting might be similar in manner, but I heavily relied on my age to clarify without me having to say anything 😂 “Aw she’s just a kid, she can’t be flirting, she’s wearing a cartoon hoodie!” I still do that last one, but you get the point 😂

On 11/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, Bronztrooper said:

I don't really have that, but I do have it where I get paranoid about things I want to say- specifically complements on stuff like people's hair- and I wind up not saying anything because I'm paranoid that they'll interpret it as flirting and I'd rather avoid the potential awkwardness from that.

I have that too! I usually say them though, and regret it later lol. Not because anything actually happened, it’s just the paranoia you said. I just can’t hold back compliments 😂 I’ve always had this impression that people don’t get enough compliments and that I need to help lol. Maybe I subconsciously just want more for myself 😝

On 11/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, Onomatopoet said:

This is an interesting read, as I feel almost the complete opposite. I don't think people take my friendliness for flirting, but I often find myself thinking if the other person is flirting or just being friendly, and that makes me awkward even if the other person probably is just being friendly.

Hmmm I find myself wondering that as well. And I’ve often failed in my evaluation lol. But I’m happy for you, since you don’t question and get paranoid about your own behavior, but other people’s. That’s a small victory on its own 😊 I’ve repeatedly asked my bestie why can’t we wear tags on our foreheads that declare our intentions 😂 She still puts up with me 🤷‍♀️ Oh and that was a great question you asked at the end, we saw really good replies to that, lots of food for thought 👍

On 11/6/2020 at 8:25 AM, lilsciencenerd said:

This is something that I worry about too sometimes! Like I don't ever think about it consciously, but after having interactions with some people I realize that it might possibly have been misinterpreted. And I've had it happen before where I think I'm just casually joking with a male classmate or coworker (because I often mirror my humor with whoever I'm around, and guys tend typically to be more "teasing" when they talk to girls, so I tease them back), and then it turns out later down the line that they thought it was flirting. Usually I realize when they start texting me in a flirty way....and then I panic and my only tactic is to essentially ghost them (bad move, I know). I thought we were just being friendly and fun, but I guess they thought I was into them. That's why I've sort of subconsciously/unintentionally gravitated toward friendships with men who are in relationships, because I trust that if they're worth being friends with, they won't try or assume anything. But it's not like the guys that I "flirt" (big quotation marks) with are bad or untrustworthy or sketchy in any way--usually I'm decent casual friends with them by the time they try to take things further. They just misread my friendliness and put me in an awkward situation. 

But one huge caveat is that I honestly don't know how I'd act if I was flirting, or how someone would act if they were flirting with me. Like I can tell when it gets to the text/messaging stage because it becomes pretty obvious and makes me cringe and throw my phone away then, but in person? I just think wow, this person's nice and has a great sense of humor! Let's be friends!

To me, they're pretty similar, but also I have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't know if the guys that I disappoint (lol) engage with me because they think I'm flirting with them, or because I respond to/reciprocate their type of humor and they like that. I know it's (bad) flirting usually when people say "you're too pretty to...[do something]" or anything else mentioning appearance or attractiveness . But I'm really not sure how being friendly by joking around and flirting by joking around differ. Personally, I am always just being friendly and never flirting, so that makes me think that others work the same way. I only find out later when it's not the case. My hope is always that they'll see me interact with my non-single friends the same way and realize I'm not giving them special treatment, but alas, sometimes that doesn't work. 

This was so relatable, top to bottom!! Especially the part about treating more people the same way so no special treatment (therefore room for misinterpretation) to the people in question. And the “let’s be friends!” part, this is so me 😂

I’ve somehow managed to evade flirty texting so far, I don’t know if that’s my friendliness being successfully communicated or the guys being just too shy 😂 Hope it’s the first, if not, grateful for the second lol. I understand you panicking when it happens though. Can’t really judge the ghosting reaction, I don’t know if I’d do better. I even admire it a bit, it’s a strong reaction that clears things up fast. I wish I was so decisive in some occasions 🤦‍♀️ About the “friends with guys in relationships” thing, I guess it’s as safe as can be, and genuinely wish it works for you 😊

Oh, and that thing you said about how you don’t know how you’d act if you were flirting, that made me laugh 😂 I have a similar thought, that, at some times I was friendly I felt I actually performed great by flirting standards 😂 Zero stress, just keeping a fun mood hahah I bet my self will sabotage me and be really nervous if and when I actually flirt 😝

• Like 2

I always thought that a "hot" person was someone who doesn't feel cold 😋😋

As a teenager I heard there had been a lot of uproar because young adults were moving in together without getting married. I was baffled: it was okay for them to be dating but not to live together? Like why? Can I go live with my friends or not? Not if they're female? What? Why?

Months of questioning this finally led to my mother very briefly explaining that couples who live together also tend to have sex.

To me this was, of course, unheard of. Rather shocking, really.

• Like 16

I remember as early as elementary school that I was baffled by crushes. I often would take notes on what other little girls seemed to go crazy for because I was hoping I could figure out what made boys "hot" or worthy of a crush. I was often confused because it was all so contradictory. One liked blond boys and the other like red haired boys. One talked about butts constantly and the other talked about muscles. It always seemed so weird to me, particularly when it wasn't a nice person who was "hot." Because people kept asking me who my crush was and who I liked, I would fill out pros and cons sheets for all the boys in my school and the boy with the most pros was my "crush" for the year. 

It took an embarrassingly long time to realize that most people do not determine if someone is attractive by using a checklist and that lots of people find each other genuinely attractive for no apparent reason all the time.

• Like 8
26 minutes ago, Steel13 said:

It took an embarrassingly long time to realize that most people do not determine if someone is attractive by using a checklist and that lots of people find each other genuinely attractive for no apparent reason all the time.

I used to think hot was anyone who was aesthetically pretty and smart. And if you were pretty, but not too smart, you were just cool.

Aw hell, I still don't know... :blink:

• Like 8
On 10/7/2020 at 12:44 AM, CBC said:

😂In middle school, all the dances were held within school hours. Morning classes as normal, afternoon devoted to some incredibly lame dance.

Sorry to comment on such an old post... But, the heck? Is this some weird Canada thing? In the US, I've never heard of dances during school. Does that mean the kids are required to go? Where I am in the Midwest our Evangelical parents would sue the school if their child were allowed - much less forced - to do such a thing during the instructional day.

• Like 3
On 11/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, Onomatopoet said:

As a teenager I heard there had been a lot of uproar because young adults were moving in together without getting married. I was baffled: it was okay for them to be dating but not to live together? Like why? Can I go live with my friends or not? Not if they're female? What? Why?

Months of questioning this finally led to my mother very briefly explaining that couples who live together also tend to have sex.

To me this was, of course, unheard of. Rather shocking, really.

Yeah I was way too old when I discovered this 😸

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CBC said:

Lol I dunno. It wasn't required, no, but if you didn't go -- which I never did, except for once -- you had to go read or do schoolwork in the library.

I always chose the library. 😂

I think the only dance my elementary school had was for Grade 8 graduation. It was after school.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox
9 hours ago, twetzel59 said:

Sorry to comment on such an old post... But, the heck? Is this some weird Canada thing? In the US, I've never heard of dances during school. Does that mean the kids are required to go? Where I am in the Midwest our Evangelical parents would sue the school if their child were allowed - much less forced - to do such a thing during the instructional day.

Long back in the 90s and early 2000s here in UK 1 end of school Disco or Dance party to celebrate the closing of school and the graduation of the older primary school students to start primary school.  Where I was it seemed like it was a mandatory Christian religious thing.  The Summer at end of school also had Street Carnivals to celebrate some kind of Welsh-Caribbean connection or something.  Both now are probably long gone for health and safety reasons, environmental ones or the most likely reason it costs too much to do these.

When I was in university, I discovered my absolute love of anatomy. Upper extremity musculature is so complex and so intricate!! When we had to study muscles around the elbow, I was telling friends how lucky I was that several baseball players lived in my dorm. "Their arms are beautiful! You can isolate individual muscles from the extensor mass!!" 

Only a few years later did I realize that asking to study a strange male athlete's arms (as a significantly-busted female) could be construed as an attempt at flirting... Luckily I think the overwhelming nerdiness of spouting off specific extrinsic extensor muscles left no room for misinterpretation lol

• Like 13

In high school, I went to see Captain America (the first one) in theaters with a few of my female friends. I made the mistake of sitting next to the girl that giggled and squealed every single time Chris Evens came onto screen, and was particularly loud during the infamous punching bag scene. I legit did not understand the appeal, and still don't. The comics version of Captain America is *so* much more interesting and in depth.

Similarly in high school, during art class, I had a picture of a person dancing at OCF. (giant yearly hippie festival) I was using the picture as a reference for an art piece-- they had a cool curve in their exposed back and were in a cool dance pose-- and my art teacher and fellow students kept commenting on their butt. The comments legit baffled me, especially since their pants were so baggy.

I was watching an episode of a show and there was this battle scene with flasbacks. A few soldiers had their lives flashing before their eyes before they died. 

The first two flasbacks were quite typical. You had "Let's get married when I get back." and 'My pregnant wife will soon give birth.'

However, the last one completely caught me off guard. It was 'After this mission, I'll get to wear my new pair of sneakers.'

I was so surprised. I had expected that those shoes were for their kid or something but those shoes were for the soldier himself to wear. 😂

This flashback was refreshing to see. People usually show the typical ones. 

• Like 1
On 11/14/2020 at 9:07 PM, twetzel59 said:

Hm as a Canadian I remember having dances during school hours in elementary school. They'd often call them "Dance-a-thons" or something like that, and these would sometimes involve charity in some way but I can't remember how? (probably they just asked for donations). As far as I know, everyone in the school attended, but there could have been an alternative activity you could request to do that I just didn't know about.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2020 at 2:18 AM, Sean-Kat said:

In high school, I went to see Captain America (the first one) in theaters with a few of my female friends. I made the mistake of sitting next to the girl that giggled and squealed every single time Chris Evens came onto screen, and was particularly loud during the infamous punching bag scene. I legit did not understand the appeal, and still don't. The comics version of Captain America is *so* much more interesting and in depth.

There's a scene in one of the movies where captain america holds onto a building with one hand and a helicopter with the other hand, and his muscles bulge RIDICULOUSLY huge. I saw it in theatre and couldn't help but burst out laughing at that scene, which set my friend laughing too. I could feel the whole theatre glaring at us but I just couldn't help myself, it seemed so funny!

• Like 1