Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

9 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Mouths are used for a lot of things.  This can't even be the worst they could do.

I remember reading an article somewhere that kissing wasn't sanitary, so why do it?  Apparently, the lips have strong pleasure sensors.  Well at least I'm keeping clean.  But that makes me wonder if aces are on a higher level of cleanliness because there's no foreign sexual fluids for us to be in contact with.  I know aces can still have sex, but we can do without if we don't need it.  Even with things like erogenous zones, I'm kind of glad that my nipples don't feel erotic sensation.  Some people who have top surgery want to keep their erotic sensation but I personally don't lose something I never had.

Honestly, this comment has a bit problematic tone to me 😅 I once saw a documentary that speculated why kissing as a behavior exists (among humans and other species). One possible reason being, it's a good way to add diversity to the germ base among individuals of the same group, to increase resistance. As, in many species, juveniles tend to "kiss" adults a lot. So if anything, it could make us less resistant to diseases 😆 another reason was that salvia can "tell" (pheromones or something) if the one you're kissing is close relative, to make you innately reject them, thus preventing inbreeding. There was also other theories but I can't remember anymore...

nerdperson777
4 hours ago, naakka said:

Honestly, this comment has a bit problematic tone to me 😅 I once saw a documentary that speculated why kissing as a behavior exists (among humans and other species). One possible reason being, it's a good way to add diversity to the germ base among individuals of the same group, to increase resistance. As, in many species, juveniles tend to "kiss" adults a lot. So if anything, it could make us less resistant to diseases 😆 another reason was that salvia can "tell" (pheromones or something) if the one you're kissing is close relative, to make you innately reject them, thus preventing inbreeding. There was also other theories but I can't remember anymore...

Yeah, kissing just shares germs to me.  I don't think I would believe the kissing close relative thing.  It is so frowned upon yet royals did it all the time for centuries.  I don't think at that time people knew of the predisposition to things like hemophilia or cleft foot.  In those cases, the opposite statement sounds more convincing.  People know now that all those issues come with inbreeding but I still think primarily it's the social stigma more than the bad genetics to be the reason why it's frowned upon.

Similarly, some people may not agree with me on this one, when people of a big age difference are in a relationship.  Is there any actual scientific evidence that it's bad?  All I hear is "ew, that person is old enough to be the other person's parent or grandparent."  Is there any real issue as long as both people are consenting, and that they're not tricking each other?  Of course, age gaps come with different issues like one dying way earlier than another, but as long as the people in the relationship didn't mind, does it matter?  They knew what would happen.  I think it's just another statistic that people use to screen their potential candidates, like race and gender.  But I know a lot of people don't agree with that.  I don't know if I've even met anyone who agreed with me.  I only came to this conclusion myself because I applied the ideas I remembered from school.  Given a statement, prove it's true first.  Make no assumptions.  Start at the very simple stage.  By saying people can't be in a relationship based on age was just an assumption to me.  The simplest thing in my mind is that the people consented and no funny business.  Does anything else matter?

Bronztrooper
8 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Similarly, some people may not agree with me on this one, when people of a big age difference are in a relationship.  Is there any actual scientific evidence that it's bad?  All I hear is "ew, that person is old enough to be the other person's parent or grandparent."  Is there any real issue as long as both people are consenting, and that they're not tricking each other?  Of course, age gaps come with different issues like one dying way earlier than another, but as long as the people in the relationship didn't mind, does it matter?  They knew what would happen.  I think it's just another statistic that people use to screen their potential candidates, like race and gender.  But I know a lot of people don't agree with that.  I don't know if I've even met anyone who agreed with me.  I only came to this conclusion myself because I applied the ideas I remembered from school.  Given a statement, prove it's true first.  Make no assumptions.  Start at the very simple stage.  By saying people can't be in a relationship based on age was just an assumption to me.  The simplest thing in my mind is that the people consented and no funny business.  Does anything else matter?

It's more of a morality issue than anything, tbh.  It also heavily depends on the age of the younger party and how large the age gap is.  Like, if a 30 year old and a 50-60 year old start dating then there's no real issues there, but if a 30 year old starts dating an 18 year old, there's a significant chance that the younger party was being groomed, though it's not guaranteed.

Age gaps in general aren't an issue, within reason.

For me, I don't really care about age gaps between other people in relationships (within reason, obviously), but personally, I'd rather be with someone around my age.  Not sure why I'm that way, tbh.

• Like 2
confusedbat

Seeing a bruise type mark on someone and not realizing til much later it was a hickey. First thought is usually "Omg what happened to you? How did you get that, ow damn that looks painful."

• Like 5
16 hours ago, confusedbat said:

Seeing a bruise type mark on someone and not realizing til much later it was a hickey. First thought is usually "Omg what happened to you? How did you get that, ow damn that looks painful."

Back at high school my peers tried to find out how to make a hickey-looking mark on your neck to seem like you were dating. There was a certain method but I don't remember it. I just couldn't understand what's so cool about being in relationship that you'd be ready to hurt yourself...

• Like 1
On 4/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, confusedbat said:

When I was younger, I had a tendency to suck on my arm for fun and It bruised once. My mom saw and said that I needed to stop doing that because people would start asking questions. I thought "What kind of questions are they going to ask?"

I had no idea how hickey's were formed.

34 minutes ago, CBC said:

So honestly, as a romantic and sexual person who enjoys kissing, I still find hickeys a bit odd. I've never had one in my life... no one has ever, uh, sucked on or bitten my skin for long and hard enough to draw blood to the surface. I've made out pretty intensely, but lips on lips, not having my neck massacred. 

The impression I got at high school is that it's not necessary about pleasure so much as it's about "dare". Dare to show you've "made out roughly" and not caring if your parents, teachers see it, showing you're mature enough to take part on sexual activity etc. Kinda a rebellious teenage thing. At least no-one ever talked about hickeys after high school.

Or again, I'm completely aroace wrong 😂

• Like 4
2 hours ago, naakka said:

The impression I got at high school is that it's not necessary about pleasure so much as it's about "dare". Dare to show you've "made out roughly" and not caring if your parents, teachers see it, showing you're mature enough to take part on sexual activity etc. Kinda a rebellious teenage thing. At least no-one ever talked about hickeys after high school.

Or again, I'm completely aroace wrong 😂

I don't think you're entirely wrong but I don't think you're entirely right either. I know from conversations with friends that some people at least do find that kind of thing pleasurable and from personal experience that if the bruising is solely from sucking on the skin it isn't painful at all (figured that out as a kid by sucking on my own arm, fascinated by the bruises that appeared). But I also think you're correct in your observations that while hickeys were a huge Thing in high school, they cease being so later in life. It's just that that's not because they don't happen anymore, it's because having heavy make-out sessions and/or sex ceases to be taboo/a rebellious thing to do (so having a hockey showing just tells people you likely have a sexual partner, which is no surprise at all, because most people do) and also because grown ups tend to be somewhat smarter about sex than teenagers and are therefore more careful about where they leave/allow their partner to leave hickeys so you won't see visible ones as often even on people who like that sort of thing.

• Like 1
On 4/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, LeChat said:

:P And in 2019, when everyone could be out and about, leaving their homes.

But, that does seem like an interesting, good idea. I like that it's larger than a ring, and, theoretically, should be easier to spot.

It's too bad I'd still probably be a clueless ace because I don't really look at people/their clothing, and if I saw a card sticking out of someone's pocket, I'd most likely think they just like playing poker.

Also women’s pants often don’t have pockets. Which is a whole other life complication.

• Like 5
On 3/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, will123 said:

I ride it occasionally and other than someone wearing headphones with the music cranked up, I really haven't seen any truly bad behaviour.

I once got on the GO downtown after a Lady Gaga concert, a Beyoncé concert, and a Blue Jays game got out at the same time. It was the most insane train ride of my life.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, lekaei said:

I once got on the GO downtown after a Lady Gaga concert, a Beyoncé concert, and a Blue Jays game got out at the same time. It was the most insane train ride of my life.

LOL I was up to a concert one night a couple of years ago, probably at Massey Hall. There was something letting out from either the ACC or Skydome (or both) at the same time. I got stuck on the last car. It was something out of a Cheech & Chong movie as the pot smoke was quite thick. Apparently there had been a concert featuring some very hard core metal band at the Coliseum on the CNE grounds. I had heard of the band but wasn't into the music...

• Like 1
nerdperson777
On 4/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, naakka said:

Back at high school my peers tried to find out how to make a hickey-looking mark on your neck to seem like you were dating. There was a certain method but I don't remember it. I just couldn't understand what's so cool about being in relationship that you'd be ready to hurt yourself...

I can think about one method.  It's martial arts related.  One of the self-defense tactics we teach the kids has something that causes bruises.  They get tested on several common grabs and they have to get out of it.  So the relevant one, it's called a "horse bite".  It's named that way because apparently horses grind their teeth sideways to bite.  I heard that we used to have kids do it to each other but there were enough times that a parent got freaked out about the bruising.  So they do it on the instructors.  The most effective parts to use this move is under the upper arm or thigh, since that's the most meaty parts.  So you can try this on yourself if you're brave.  Grab a little bit of skin and twist it.  It should cause any kidnapper to let go.  The students make lines in front of instructors, then we grab, they do a horse bite, and we let go.  I'm not good at emotions so I say good in this dull voice and they can go.  My coach actually slapped me on the back telling me that I had to react because that's more effective than telling them that they did it correctly.  But after a class like that, I get the bruise for a couple days.  Anyway, it causes a big bruise, but I don't know if it works on necks.

• Like 1
WrenIsNotMyRealName!!
1 hour ago, nerdperson777 said:

I can think about one method.  It's martial arts related.  One of the self-defense tactics we teach the kids has something that causes bruises.  They get tested on several common grabs and they have to get out of it.  So the relevant one, it's called a "horse bite".  It's named that way because apparently horses grind their teeth sideways to bite.  I heard that we used to have kids do it to each other but there were enough times that a parent got freaked out about the bruising.  So they do it on the instructors.  The most effective parts to use this move is under the upper arm or thigh, since that's the most meaty parts.  So you can try this on yourself if you're brave.  Grab a little bit of skin and twist it.  It should cause any kidnapper to let go.  The students make lines in front of instructors, then we grab, they do a horse bite, and we let go.  I'm not good at emotions so I say good in this dull voice and they can go.  My coach actually slapped me on the back telling me that I had to react because that's more effective than telling them that they did it correctly.  But after a class like that, I get the bruise for a couple days.  Anyway, it causes a big bruise, but I don't know if it works on necks.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:16 PM, naakka said:

I thought they just stuck a vacuum cleaner to their neck. Also, horse bite means something different in my family.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CBC said:

I once attended a concert at the ACC (or whatever it's called now) at the same time as there was something going on at... whatever the Skydome is called now, lol... but was in a car at the time (as a passenger). It. Was. Hell.

A pox on naming rights! Look at the number of names for the rink in Kanata/Ottawa. Finally I think every other arena in Canada is named after the #5 bank...

Actually on this particular night the behaviour wasn't bad, as I had seen worse with smaller crowds. As a non-user of cannabis I was concerned about whether the smell would linger on my clothes. After the hour or so ride to Oshawa, I'd be driving two hours home and I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of passing thru a RIDE check.

When you return to your teen years' favourite series years later for nostalgia and you realize you probably lost a complete part of the plot between the male and female protagonist. Well, you probably got it rationally speaking, that they were experiencing "the romance stuff". But for you it was just a minor undertone that was a "compulsory" plotline since they were different sexes and only ever really saw them just as close companions. And now years later after knowing a little better what romantic and sexual attraction means to allo people (and how different you're from majority of people), you can't help but think how different experience the series was to everyone else. And how people probably thought you must really be into romantic stuff, to be such a huge fan of the series.

#aroacemoments

• Like 2
On 2/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, nerdperson777 said:

I probably need to Google "how to respond to a wedding proposal".  I was on a big stage in a group with at least 10 other people.  Our leader got proposed to at the very end.  Everyone on stage started clapping for the newly engaged couple.  Me?  I stood next to her staring at the ring and started clapping several seconds after everyone else because I didn't know what to do.

I have had to train myself to look super happy and exclaim “congratulations!” when people get engaged. Personal low point- saying  “another one bites the dust” when a guy in my university dorm told me he was engaged. 

• Like 7
On 4/26/2020 at 9:01 PM, naakka said:

When you return to your teen years' favourite series years later for nostalgia and you realize you probably lost a complete part of the plot between the male and female protagonist. Well, you probably got it rationally speaking, that they were experiencing "the romance stuff". But for you it was just a minor undertone that was a "compulsory" plotline since they were different sexes and only ever really saw them just as close companions. And now years later after knowing a little better what romantic and sexual attraction means to allo people (and how different you're from majority of people), you can't help but think how different experience the series was to everyone else. And how people probably thought you must really be into romantic stuff, to be such a huge fan of the series.

#aroacemoments

I can kinda relate to this.

I read stuff that has romance in it occasionally. (From the outside, I act like I'm disgusted by it. Half is true though)

Despite the obvious romance, I always think like 'Oh, they're together that's nice. I'm happy for them.'

However, I don't see it in the romantic sense. I see it as them just being together if that makes sense.

• Like 4
Bronztrooper
7 hours ago, Destan said:

I can kinda relate to this.

I read stuff that has romance in it occasionally. (From the outside, I act like I'm disgusted by it. Half is true though)

Despite the obvious romance, I always think like 'Oh, they're together that's nice. I'm happy for them.'

However, I don't see it in the romantic sense. I see it as them just being together if that makes sense.

Honestly, I'm glad you put this into words because it seems very similar to how I view romances in books/games/shows/movies.  I enjoy a good romance subplot, but it's more in the sense that I like to see the characters getting together rather than me enjoying the 'romance' as a concept.  Like, someone might think "That's soooooo romantic" while I'll just be like "Oh, they're together now.  Great for them."

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

Honestly, I'm glad you put this into words because it seems very similar to how I view romances in books/games/shows/movies.  I enjoy a good romance subplot, but it's more in the sense that I like to see the characters getting together rather than me enjoying the 'romance' as a concept.  Like, someone might think "That's soooooo romantic" while I'll just be like "Oh, they're together now.  Great for them."

I'm glad too to see someone with a similar view. I actually had to think twice of how to describe this. 

I always wondered 'I really don't like romance as a genre but it's nice to see them getting together(?) Why is this okay?'

It's kinda weird, but at last I've put it into words.

• Like 4
AceAnimeFan
7 hours ago, Destan said:

I'm glad too to see someone with a similar view. I actually had to think twice of how to describe this. 

I always wondered 'I really don't like romance as a genre but it's nice to see them getting together(?) Why is this okay?'

It's kinda weird, but at last I've put it into words.

Same here! I read and watch romantic stuff (provided there are no sex scenes) in an effort to try to understand romance as a concept (no luck here), but I found I kinda like seeing the characters get together. I am not alone! :) 

• Like 2

So I haven't posted anything in a while, and I know this topic shows up on this thread from time to time, but I had to share my latest ACE moment.

I'm talking to my friend whom we're a 'thing' but not actually in a relationship (I'm actually considering starting another thread on that asking for advice but I haven't decided yet), so a lot of our messaging tends to get rather flirty (though more cute than sexy), and I'm up enough on allo slang to be able to use it, and get it (though getting it may take a moment).

Anyway, we're discussing ocarinas and he sends me a video of a pumpkin ocarina, but I was taking a practice test for one of my courses at the moment and said that I'd watch it when I was done. He says that I can just listen to it since there really isn't much to watch, being the musician that I am I reply that I'll listen now and rewatch it later to watch the hands because I like fingerings. He says "I'm just gonna let that one pass" at which point I realize there is an alternate meaning to the word fingering. We ended up laughing about how he knew full well what I meant, which was NOT the allo meaning, incase you guys were confused lol.

• Like 5
nerdperson777
On 4/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, naakka said:

#aroacemoments

I spent the last two weeks watching two seasons of a cartoon from elementary school.  I often spoil myself on Wikipedia before watching the episode itself.  So there's a live action TV movie for it where I guess the main protagonist is a few years older.  The writers just inserted a girlfriend in there, and I had never heard of her previously.  I could only think "ugh great, now there's a couple and people can't separate them now."  She might be a new character to rescue, and since she's new, I don't know how she contributes to the team, so I don't trust her.  I guess I treated her as an extra unneeded baggage.

I also had an aro ace moment yesterday about that.  I was telling my therapist how I'm starting to not want to leave my room because I feel like one of my roommates just nags us and doesn't contribute enough to our apartment.  They've been here for over a year and a half and hasn't gotten a job to help contribute to rent.  They've had many medical issues since they've lived with us so that rendered the February last year deadline to find a job null.  I don't want make it sound like it's an excuse but it kinda is.  They've had a year and a half.  I found myself a job after four months of searching.  I'm not sure if they're even looking anymore.  They just mass produce masks for those in need.  The other roommate earns more so she pays more rent.  She is the cook.  I don't know what kind of arrangement those two have but if I'm not told anything, I can only conclude that there's not enough contribution.  I can't tell self-proclaimed socialists and communists just the financial reason.  So I told my therapist that I don't find that a relationship contributes to the household.  Probably because I take the practical route most of the time, I don't see a benefit from a relationship to the household.  Making masks contributes to others outside the household.  I want apartment improvement first.  The living room floor is filthy.  I knew that because I was trying to do pushups yesterday on it.  I can't vacuum without the stuff off the floor and actually put away and not back on the floor.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, Bronztrooper said:

I'm kind of the same way.  I want to see two people being close, but more in a friend way.  I really don't care about the kissing or make out scenes.  I just want to see two people hanging out together.  Once I was obsessed with a video game character that I would read shipping fanfiction just so I could see more of that character doing things.  That's the only time I really read fanfiction.

42 minutes ago, Wholock314 said:

I'm talking to my friend whom we're a 'thing' but not actually in a relationship (I'm actually considering starting another thread on that asking for advice but I haven't decided yet), so a lot of our messaging tends to get rather flirty (though more cute than sexy), and I'm up enough on allo slang to be able to use it, and get it (though getting it may take a moment).

Anyway, we're discussing ocarinas and he sends me a video of a pumpkin ocarina, but I was taking a practice test for one of my courses at the moment and said that I'd watch it when I was done. He says that I can just listen to it since there really isn't much to watch, being the musician that I am I reply that I'll listen now and rewatch it later to watch the hands because I like fingerings. He says "I'm just gonna let that one slide" at which point I realize there is an alternate meaning to the word fingering. We ended up laughing about how he knew full well what I meant, which was NOT the allo meaning, incase you guys were confused lol.

I don't see why not.  I got a friend, she's only a few days older than me so we are practically the same age.  She was aro ace so people never expected it, but suddenly she got a boyfriend.  She now identifies as demi-romantic.  But she never told me if her relationship was romantic or queerplatonic.  I looked online who the boyfriend was after I learned his identity.  She says that he's probably ace because he's totally fine without sex.  What I discovered was that he's like a decade older than us, since he graduated high school way earlier than we did.  Upon meeting him, he just seemed like the cute cat type of person, so he may be considered childlike in that case.  Since this guy is in his 30s and my friend is 5 feet tall, I once invited them to take a class with me and the teacher thought he was her father.  I guess he does have that "dad look".  I feel like the way they interact is kind of the way you described it.  Once somehow we got in a conversation about a girl we know who had big boobs.  When she exercises, her boobs bounce like crazy.  He felt really awkward about it and wanted to change the subject.  So that's the same reaction as my cousin who I suspect is ace, since he doesn't like those conversations either.

Before I would've been really judging because of the age difference, but now I take the neutral route a lot so, aside from that, is there really an issue?  If two people like each other, and there's nothing suspicious going on, why keep them from each other?  So I don't really care that he's much older than us.  Of course the prejudice of my past creeps in but I don't let it change my decision.  They're just really kidlike together, and if we don't think about their appearances, they're totally compatible.

I don't practice anymore so it's been a while since I heard fingerings.  Now the dirty pun will forever live in my mind.

• Like 1

@nerdperson777 Haha here's some brain bleach for the fingering pun.

I don't know why you put the age difference bit under the quote of my post, but I do find it fitting since my aforementioned friend is quite a bit older than me. Though with us specifically I don't think the age difference will ever look that obvious, only because he's an inch or two shorter than I am lol. But I kind of agree, while the age difference can sometimes feel weird, if it works it works, and age shouldn't be the limiting factor (within reason).

2 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

I spent the last two weeks watching two seasons of a cartoon from elementary school.  I often spoil myself on Wikipedia before watching the episode itself.  So there's a live action TV movie for it where I guess the main protagonist is a few years older.  The writers just inserted a girlfriend in there, and I had never heard of her previously.  I could only think "ugh great, now there's a couple and people can't separate them now."  She might be a new character to rescue, and since she's new, I don't know how she contributes to the team, so I don't trust her.  I guess I treated her as an extra unneeded baggage.

It's always weird when they make remakes of an old series. Some are okay but I feel most fail to deliver something important from the original. Death Note netflix live action disaster, for example, which is just riding with the names of the poor characters from the original. But sometimes it's a good idea, especially if there's the original creator among the the team during the creating process, just like the Fruits Basket new anime, which is more faithful to the original manga than the old anime.

puffin74656
14 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

I'm kind of the same way.  I want to see two people being close, but more in a friend way.  I really don't care about the kissing or make out scenes.  I just want to see two people hanging out together

This pretty much describes how I feel about the only two characters I have "shipped" (basically I wanted them to be in a QPR and look happy together before I know what a QPR is.) 

I don't seek out romance stories, but if there is something else I'm interested in in a story, I will read the relationship including story, in part because if I didn't there wouldn't be much to read. :(

• Like 2
SilverMarten
On 12/5/2008 at 4:58 PM, Teagan said:

I've always been able to pretend to be fully sexual. I've always understood all the sex jokes, I've always been able to identify someone I "like", etc. I don't really enjoy sex scenes in movies but I definitely enjoy hot guys in movies. I know how sexuals are supposed to act. I'm just fairly certain I'm not one... it's very weird.

I'm kind of the same. I can imagine being sexual very well. Except I don't find guys hot (or girls). But I could imagine feeling that way. I just don't. 

2 hours ago, why cant i find a name use said:

Incredibly Ace Moment: Everything with the colours grey, black, purple and white is immediately asexual. And you love it.

• Like 8
SilverMarten
On 4/28/2020 at 7:06 PM, Bronztrooper said:

I'm exactly the same!!!

• Like 1
Janus the Fox
2 hours ago, why cant i find a name use said:

No grey layer :P