Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

16 hours ago, Tintinfan said:

Mostly just the number of innuendos i have said by accident. 

Worst one so far has been:

Reveal hidden contents

You can come through my front entrance

I fucking hate it when I do that. Happens way more now that I got my job as a captionist. Doesn’t help that a girl at work giggles about the innuendos and “all the double entendres people don’t notice.” I’m like, really? Ffs grow up.

Straights can be annoying 

3 hours ago, Arodash said:

Homosexuals and bisexuals make inuendos too you know XD 

And wait your a captionist??? Thats gotta be a cool job!

Aye, you got me there. But I don’t want to call out homosexuals and bisexuals because I feel a sense of affection and camaraderie for them you know? Kind of how like people generally react differently when being told to shut up by a friend versus someone they don’t know well or even someone they dislike.

It is haha. I basically get paid to eavesdrop on peoples conversations haha. I’ve been practicing for this job my whole life haha. The only down side is having to hear repugnant stuff sometimes. Occasionally you get TMI calls and you just want to CTRL Z your entire recollection of the day. 

Not really an ACE moment, but an ACE realization. It's Christmas time, and today I heard the song 'Baby, It's cold outside' and was reminded of the debates about it. The lyrics are offensive to some. The person I was with said if the song was two men or two women singing to each other, the people who hated it would probably like it. I don't know if that's true, but It made me wonder how it would go if one or both were asexuals. 

I really can't stay!

Okay, see you later.

It would make for a very short song!

• Like 9
6 hours ago, starweb said:

Not really an ACE moment, but an ACE realization. It's Christmas time, and today I heard the song 'Baby, It's cold outside' and was reminded of the debates about it. The lyrics are offensive to some. The person I was with said if the song was two men or two women singing to each other, the people who hated it would probably like it. I don't know if that's true, but It made me wonder how it would go if one or both were asexuals. 

I really can't stay!

Okay, see you later.

It would make for a very short song!

I agree, it probably would be shorter! To be fair, though, the arguments I've heard against it are mainly that there seems to be some coercion between the two: one singer (the man, in most versions of the song) wants the other (the woman, in most versions) to stay. There's a debate about if it's meant to be the two flirting back and forth (the woman says she can't stay, but secretly she wants to and is dragging out the goodbyes) or if the man is guilt-tripping her (or even drugging her*) to get her to stay. 

I think that if it is the case that the man is pressuring the woman to stay, this is something that could happen in any relationship (even a non-sexual or non-romantic one!) The issue (in my eyes) is not about the orientation of the two people but whether or not their relationship is a healthy one. If the woman really does want to go, the man should respect her boundaries and let her go. If he's not, that's a sign that their relationship isn't the most healthy. I've had training in school about healthy/non-healthy relationships, so I thought I should point out that consent and setting boundaries is super important in all types of relationships: sexual, romantic, familial, friendships, all of it.

Also if you want to check out an article about the song's meaning which I found interesting here's a link. Trigger Warning: it talks about the culture of dating/consent, but also rape at the time the song was written: https://time.com/5739183/baby-its-cold-outside-consent/

*he keeps offering her drinks, at one point she says "hey what's in this drink" and he doesn't answer her

Edited by zzkitty42
  • Like 2

Someone on my TL retweeted something about someone really "wanting" a girlfriend/it is his personal goal and everyone was going wild and I was like 😶 I find it kinda weird how everyone is going crazy about it and I just can not relate 😩 I get that it's a goal for most people to get married but... eh.

I really do not fit in there LMAO and the longer I stay the more I realize it 😶 the more I talk to people the more they want to date and are like crazy about dating and I'm like... feeling all weird 😩 bc they keep talking about boyfriends and I never talk about guys so they think I'm weird or it gets awkward 😩 The last time I opened up about someone (not my squish since he was technically the last person. He was accepting and still tries to learn about me and how I feel) being asexual they stopped talking to me and said it was "weird" and "they'd hate to be that way" like I was broken or unusual LMAO thanks.... it didn't hurt mt feelings bc I just said something like, "well that's just the way I am" but lol really? Some people's goal isn't to get married. Some people don't want to date or don't develop feelings, and it's perfectly fine and normal just like how other people do want that sort of thing and can develop feelings. smh.

• Like 1
On 12/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, NicoleHolmes said:

#asexual moments
When you meet multiple people through dating apps that you would be excited to be friends with and have sleepovers and discuss star trek but they've already girlfriend zoned you they want to have "sleepovers" and discuss "other things" or otherwise not be friends at all thus ruining all the platonic fun you could be having and you begin to think you might be on the wrong website lol
Apparently people don't generally look for friends on dating sites 😂 idk why not. 

Are there friending sites that people actually use actively and will meet you in person? I tried bumble for friends and a few more obscure sites, but either the users weren't active, or they just messaged endlessly but didn't want to hang out in person. 

It bugs me how people always go super far with assumptions on dating sites and people only see what they're looking for. Even if you wrote with cap-locks "ONLY LOOKING FOR FRIENDS" it will be assumed that you're just not looking for one night stands and want to proceed slowly to get to know the person first... and as a result tons of "good reliable men looking for lifelong partner to make a family with" will approach you anyway 😑 The worst is if someone manages to make you feel guilty for not being allo. I decided ages ago that dating apps aren't worth all the effort.

On 12/3/2008 at 1:34 PM, avril said:

I don't like to watch movies with my family, cuz I know there will probably be sex scene or something like that and I know I would feel embarrassed. :rolleyes:

You said it better than I ever could. My mom would be like, "Are you OKAY?!?!", and I would either have to admit that I wasn't or pretend that I was. Also, when we watched movie adaptations of Romeo and Juliet and Othello (which both have sex scenes) in high school, I either looked down or pretended to be asleep :)

21 minutes ago, cAROlyn said:

You said it better than I ever could. My mom would be like, "Are you OKAY?!?!", and I would either have to admit that I wasn't or pretend that I was. Also, when we watched movie adaptations of Romeo and Juliet and Othello (which both have sex scenes) in high school, I either looked down or pretended to be asleep :)

I find using my phone is really a nice way to get out of situations like that. Unless you’re in a movie theater of course, but when I’m with my family and something awkward like that comes on a movie or people say TMI stuff I just check my phone.

11 hours ago, i.r3beka said:

I find using my phone is really a nice way to get out of situations like that. Unless you’re in a movie theater of course, but when I’m with my family and something awkward like that comes on a movie or people say TMI stuff I just check my phone.

In the movies you'll obviously have something to eat, in the dark you can focus on finding the best candy etc ;)

8 hours ago, naakka said:

In the movies you'll obviously have something to eat, in the dark you can focus on finding the best candy etc ;)

No way, movie candy is a scam. They want $11, and the matinee price is already $14.99 a person. I’m not good at math but the cost of snacks is like, what 70% of the cost of a ticket? Something like that 

14 minutes ago, i.r3beka said:

No way, movie candy is a scam. They want $11, and the matinee price is already $14.99 a person. I’m not good at math but the cost of snacks is like, what 40% of the cost of a ticket? Something like that 

Over here to get a movie ticket, C-grade small popcorn popcorn, a medium drink, and candy at AMC.

Ticket for 7 pm is $13.50

Popcorn: 7.99

Drink: 5.99

Candy 4.50

Total w/o sales tax: $31.98

Add sales tax of 2.64

Equals 34.62 per person!

Which is why I smuggle in food and drinks.

1 hour ago, ColeHW34 said:

Over here to get a movie ticket, C-grade small popcorn popcorn, a medium drink, and candy at AMC.

Ticket for 7 pm is $13.50

Popcorn: 7.99

Drink: 5.99

Candy 4.50

Total w/o sales tax: $31.98

Add sales tax of 2.64

Equals 34.62 per person!

Damn. AMC and Cinebistro need to chill. Why pay $4-$11 for candy when for that price I could get a coffee for a pastry from Barnes and Noble? Not to turn into my dad, but, / when I was your age / $9 was considered a high end ticket price for a matinee 

2 hours ago, i.r3beka said:

No way, movie candy is a scam. They want $11, and the matinee price is already $14.99 a person. I’m not good at math but the cost of snacks is like, what 70% of the cost of a ticket? Something like that 

Oh yeah, cinema sweets are expensive ^^' I usually go to a small cinema that's not part of the big cinema chain here, so I buy candy or popcorn anyway to support them 😄

2 hours ago, ColeHW34 said:

That's one possibility 👀

• Like 1

The comedian, Steven Wright, had a joke that went something like this:

"Last time I went to the movies I got thrown out for bringing my own food. My argument was the concession stand prices are outrageous. Besides, I hadn't had a barbecue in a while."

• Like 2
On 12/18/2019 at 11:36 PM, cAROlyn said:

There was sex in R&J? We saw it too in our high school auditorium on movie night (once a month). Plus a bus trip halfway across the province to see it live in Stratford Ontario. Not a great way to spend a day...

CelesteAdAstra

So I'm usually already quite embarrassed to buy pads in a store. Suddenly it feels like all eyes are on me. Yesterday I was doing exactly that when I passed the condom shelf and wondered what would happen if I ever had to buy one of these. My conclusion was that I'd possibly straight up pass away in front of the cashier.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

So I'm usually already quite embarrassed to buy pads in a store. Suddenly it feels like all eyes are on me. Yesterday I was doing exactly that when I passed the condom shelf and wondered what would happen if I ever had to buy one of these. My conclusion was that I'd possibly straight up pass away in front of the cashier.

Since you can be assured that people are wrong about you in whatever you think they see in a person buying condoms, why don't you just try to buy a pack for the fun of it? Have a good laugh at the faces you see (or realize that you can't find any faces staring at you after all...).

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Arodash said:

now I wanna buy condoms for the fun of it.

Haha, go for it! And tell us all about it! Maybe I'll do it too (although, I doubt anyone would even notice in my culture, not even the cashier, they sell condomes, so any idea of how many customers pass condomes across the counter every day? Why would they care about each of them?).

• Like 1
11 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

There's a running joke about guys buying a bunch of random items along with the condoms to disguise the condom purchase.

• Like 2
On 12/18/2019 at 11:36 PM, cAROlyn said:

In my school we watched Romeo and Juliet as well as Mid-summernight's Dream and both had sex/nudity scenes in them that were skipped by the teacher.  I only got annoyed because I hate skipping scenes in movies, even though I got why they did it.

• Like 1

I pretended to have a crush on a boy in preschool just for friends. Pretty weird because the kid wasn't even cute. Genuinely kinda not cute. Literally everyone had a crush on this kid and I'd just sit there like "Oh, yeah, he's so cute. Definitely. Yep." It was a weird time. 

I was also really scared that there was a volcano in my backyard.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, pcctheant said:

I pretended to have a crush on a boy in preschool just for friends. Pretty weird because the kid wasn't even cute. Genuinely kinda not cute. Literally everyone had a crush on this kid and I'd just sit there like "Oh, yeah, he's so cute. Definitely. Yep." It was a weird time. 

I was also really scared that there was a volcano in my backyard.

The things we worry about as kids :lol:

• Like 2
18 hours ago, pcctheant said:

I had a similar experience. In first grade everyone was having crushes, so I just looked around the lunchroom, saw a random person, and was like, "they're my new crush!" Pretty soon it got around to the whole school and the situation was mortifying.

• Like 3

I just kinda reveled in weirding people out by saying I had no crushes in school. It had its downsides cause people would not believe you, think you’re crazy, or pester you about it; but, in my case, I gained a sense of independence and freedom. I was different, and that was fine. Plus, eventually people stopped bothering me as I stood my ground and I gained a reputation for being uninterested in romance.

• Like 4

I totally get the experience of not having a crush, but at the same time, my friend group is kind of opposite. 

I'm asexual, and of a group of three girls I'm the only one who is (currently) dating someone. I've also had at least a minor crush on someone since I was in 4th grade (I'm a senior in high school now).

Both of the other girls are allosexual (as far as I know, I've talked openly about my asexuality and I have a feeling if they felt similarly they would say something). When we talk about crushes and what not, they often say they don't have any crushes.

I guess it just shows that everyone has different experiences with this sort of thing, and I definitely appreciate it being less of a big deal now than it was in lower/middle school!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Laplace said:

I just kinda reveled in weirding people out by saying I had no crushes in school. It had its downsides cause people would not believe you, think you’re crazy, or pester you about it; but, in my case, I gained a sense of independence and freedom. I was different, and that was fine. Plus, eventually people stopped bothering me as I stood my ground and I gained a reputation for being uninterested in romance.

Yeah, I was similar- whenever people would ask me if I had a crush on anyone I'd say that I didn't, then they'd keep asking like they didn't believe me.  It's like, why would you ask me if I had a crush if you already assumed it I had one?  Seems pointless.

• Like 3
On 12/21/2019 at 12:14 AM, pcctheant said:

In middle school, I pretended to think guys were cute because I heard other girls talking about guys being cute, and I wanted people to think I was normal. In eighth grade, someone teased me for liking a guy I didn't like. The kid who was teasing me asked me multiple times if the other guy was "hot", and I didn't even know what he meant. I kind of wish I knew back then that I'm aroace because that could've been an excellent opportunity to show him that he couldn't be more wrong about me.

In high school, I was more honest about not having had any crushes, ever, even though I got some form of 'What? You've never had a crush?!?!" most of the time. I reacted to such comments by just reaffirming my position, although that could also have been a great time for me to enlighten my peers. (Just FYI: I went to a suburban, mostly-white high school in which queer identities and issues are not often brought up. An environment like this is not especially conducive to coming out, so I only came out to a few of my teachers and two of my physics classmates who I trusted.)

I’m somehow now in a relationship with a girl that’s about as nerdy as I am. After we hanged out after school for the first time (played KOTOR on my laptop and watched The Mandalorian), she sent me a message talking about how her friends were telling her that she’s too “innocent” to be dating anyone.

Yesterday we were at a Star Wars store in my town and she said “Look! I found the perfect action figures for you!!!” And she grabbed a box that had three alien dancers in bikinis from the beginning of RoTJ. In front of my mom... Even if my mom didn’t hear that joke I would be uncomfortable with a joke like that (I can understand when an innuendo is meant as a joke, but when they somehow involve me in anyway I get uncomfortable).

• Like 3
Just now, Arodash said:

The whole Jabba scene with Leiah was weird to me. Always has been. And gosh darn it plagueis do you have any idea what you unleashed on the Galaxy with Sheev? Your as bad as Reven! XD

Just wait until I get my own trilogy with 10, 11, and 12 showing that I got the final laugh!!!

I think that it was meant to be alien dancers while Leia was disguised as a bounty hunter (I’ve never understood why that was included).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Yesterday we were at a Star Wars store in my town and she said “Look! I found the perfect action figures for you!!!” And she grabbed a box that had three alien dancers in bikinis from the beginning of RoTJ.

Twi'Leks.  They're Twi'Leks.

6 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Even if my mom didn’t hear that joke I would be uncomfortable with a joke like that (I can understand when an innuendo is meant as a joke, but when they somehow involve me in anyway I get uncomfortable).

OMFG, same. That's exactly how I am whenever someone makes a sexual-seeming joke about me.

6 hours ago, Arodash said:

The whole Jabba scene with Leiah was weird to me. Always has been. And gosh darn it plagueis do you have any idea what you unleashed on the Galaxy with Sheev? Your as bad as Reven! XD

Uh, pretty sure that the existence of the Hutts isn't due to Plagueis or Palpy.

And also, if you go into SWTOR lore, Revan was being subtly manipulated by Valkorion/Vitiate while a Sith.

• Like 2