Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I drink occasionally but I'm an extreme lightweight, so I can only have a drink or two before I get really sleepy and go somewhere to lie down. My husband has tried once or twice to get me drunk, just to see what it's like ... we got to as many as four drinks once and I think he was a little disappointed because all that happened was I stayed sleepier longer and woke up nauseous. :P It was not the uninhibited experience I think he was expecting. Though, I'm not really sure what he was expecting, since he knew already that alcohol makes me sleepy. Somehow, he seemed to think that if I pushed through the sleepy to MORE alcohol, I would be more energetic and ... I don't know really?? Be a goofy drunk? A flirty drunk? \_0_/

I don't really see much point in drinking in public, though, unless it happens to be a bar where you can also take naps. I like ciders, though, if I'm having them at home or at a friend's house. Bars are much more fun as karaoke establishments imo.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Aloney said:

@Bronztrooper Ugh, it's a weird thing with people who drink more. When you are getting drunk it feels fun for them and makes them enjoy themselves, but afterwards it makes you feel like crap, which reminds them they really shouldn't be doing it. I do drink occasionally, but not as much anymore. Like @naakka said, it's a big part of socializing here, especially in younger groups. I guess it's fun sometimes, but it's also super expensive and kind of wastes time, what with having a hangover the next day and not being able to do much because of that. I... Ironically kind of have a hangover right now, my friends had a double birthday/beginning of vacation -party, and I forgot to drink water in the middle... I can assure everyone, not worth it. The party was fun though, very deep conversations with people :'D But I'm so glad our friend group knows how to have fun sober, too, and that's the more usual way for us :D 

Well, I have nothing against drinking casually :D it just pissed me off when you were supposed to drink underaged (alkohol is actual toxic to developing brain) and because of it was literally the only thing my peers waited for as a free time activity at one point. I mean, it's cool if you want to "let it go" sometimes, know you boundaries and being drunken isn't the only thing you do. I think that's a downside of living in the countryside... lately they've reported in the news that getting drunk is not so popular among the younger generations tho, which makes me happy.

Also, I can't help but feel that my aceness made me see drink parties in more negative light; I was already not good at receiving signals sometimes, and when drunken people  get way more pushy and there was nothing exciting for me to get closer to the people of any sex 😅

• Like 2
1 hour ago, naakka said:

Well, I have nothing against drinking casually :D it just pissed me off when you were supposed to drink underaged (alkohol is actual toxic to developing brain) and because of it was literally the only thing my peers waited for as a free time activity at one point. I mean, it's cool if you want to "let it go" sometimes, know you boundaries and being drunken isn't the only thing you do. I think that's a downside of living in the countryside... lately they've reported in the news that getting drunk is not so popular among the younger generations tho, which makes me happy.

Also, I can't help but feel that my aceness made me see drink parties in more negative light; I was already not good at receiving signals sometimes, and when drunken people  get way more pushy and there was nothing exciting for me to get closer to the people of any sex 😅

Recent reports are saying in Ontario there has been an increase in hospital emergency visits among 18-25 years with a greater increase among females.

They are blaming the media (as usual) and the fact that beer is now sold in SOME supermarkets (the horrors).

I sometimes wonder if it's the puritanical views about alcohol here. Tell younger people that something is bad and what will they do?

I remember in elementary school a classmate/friend who's family had gone to the Canary Islands on March break.

He told us about drinking wine during meals. That was unheard of here in restaurants. 

My thoughts are if kids are around alcohol from an early age, it's not a big deal.

• Like 2

Add to my previous post 'in a responsible way'. I dont think kids seeing parent(s) drunk all the time is a positive example.

I remember having a sip of my father's beer as a kid. As far as I was concerned it tasted awful. I didnt know why anyone would drink THAT. Give me a can of Coke or glass of milk or Kool Aid!

• Like 4

I don't drink either. I remember all of my high school classmates used to drink though. One day, they went to an event and stayed in a house for several days. They were drunk during the whole event! When they returned, they told tales of sleeping together, vomiting on the ground next to beds… It seemed so weird to me! Needless to say, they weren't very well when they returned to class… I was the only one who had done her homework!

I simply don't like the taste of alcohol. My parents drink wine responsibly and when I was younger, they allowed me to dip my lips into their glass just to see what it was like. But I never liked it. I just think it tastes really bitter!

4 hours ago, will123 said:

Recent reports are saying in Ontario there has been an increase in hospital emergency visits among 18-25 years with a greater increase among females.

They are blaming the media (as usual) and the fact that beer is now sold in SOME supermarkets (the horrors).

I sometimes wonder if it's the puritanical views about alcohol here. Tell younger people that something is bad and what will they do?

I remember in elementary school a classmate/friend who's family had gone to the Canary Islands on March break.

He told us about drinking wine during meals. That was unheard of here in restaurants. 

My thoughts are if kids are around alcohol from an early age, it's not a big deal.

Oh, your place sounds pretty strict on this matter 😅 Just out of curiosity, where is beer sold then, if not in supermarkets? Here beers, ciders, mixers and mild wines are in markets, and then we have a government-owned alcohol chain store for anything stronger, wine, brandy, different liqueurs and such. And kids seeing their parents drinking isn't at all unusual here, my parents also let me taste a sip from their wine or beer or cider when I was a curious kid (just a taste, and that tasted terrible to me back then and I had to always swish it out with water or something :'D) But yeah, didn't make me an alcoholic to grow up in that kind of an environment, didn't even drink as a minor :D 

I've had people from the east coast floored that we sell alcohol openly in supermarkets.

I didn't really drink as a minor. But I would have with the right people. And did in college, but I was nearly of age then. So... doesn't count. It was circumstances, not law. But my dad and their friends always drank, so I wasn't stigmatized against it. My uncle was alcoholic, so I was warned against that, so I guess I was taught responsibility.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

I get really nervous around drunk people, too many bad experiences. I can cope with my friends, because I know them and they rarely overdo it, but strangers and certain family members? Nope, I'm outta there. I had to leave an event on Thursday because people were getting drunk.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Aloney said:

Oh, your place sounds pretty strict on this matter 😅 Just out of curiosity, where is beer sold then, if not in supermarkets? Here beers, ciders, mixers and mild wines are in markets, and then we have a government-owned alcohol chain store for anything stronger, wine, brandy, different liqueurs and such. And kids seeing their parents drinking isn't at all unusual here, my parents also let me taste a sip from their wine or beer or cider when I was a curious kid (just a taste, and that tasted terrible to me back then and I had to always swish it out with water or something :'D) But yeah, didn't make me an alcoholic to grow up in that kind of an environment, didn't even drink as a minor :D 

Long story about beer sales in Ontario. Compared to the rest of North America, retailing beer here is something out of the USSR. For the most part it is by a foreign owned monopoly (The Beer Store). Google it and you will find out about the current proposal that the provincial givernment is trying to tear up the sweet heart deal the previous government signed.

• Like 1

I've always heard that alcoholism rates are lower in Europe where alcohol isn't the taboo it is here in the US. I don't know if it is true, though. Could be an urban legend, or a correlation rather than causation issue.

• Like 2

To be fair, addiction is something you generally get through genetics or trauma. It doesn't help to absolutely demonize any substance, though.

Alcoholism is very misunderstood. It isn't quite just drinking a lot. There are triggers behind addiction of all kinds, and help works for most people.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I have known a lot of addicts, and it's not something to be flip about, certainly. Also, just stopping the alcohol or drugs doesn't fix the underlying self destructive behavior without working on the reasons for what is going on.

• Like 1

Exactly, the biggest drug problem we have is trauma. We're spending so much time and effort patching the effects rather than the causes of these problems for most people.

17 minutes ago, firebird8 said:

I've always heard that alcoholism rates are lower in Europe where alcohol isn't the taboo it is here in the US. I don't know if it is true, though. Could be an urban legend, or a correlation rather than causation issue.

That is what I have always thought. Mind you apparently vodka abuse is rampant in Russia.

nerdperson777
18 hours ago, Aloney said:

@Bronztrooper But I'm so glad our friend group knows how to have fun sober, too, and that's the more usual way for us :D 

I feel fortunate for my work environment about this topic.  The big bosses are Muslim and the company is about healthy eating to promote weight loss.  So our company parties don't have alcohol.  We have fun the old fashioned way.  I never have to justify that I don't want to drink because no one drinks in the work environment at all.  Meanwhile at my cousin's company, everyone's drunk by 2pm so I wonder how they get anything done.

12 hours ago, will123 said:

Tell younger people that something is bad and what will they do?

Meanwhile I took everything at face value.  "It's bad?  Okay."  "No wait, you're supposed to defy me and drink!"  "Why would you tell me not to drink so that I would drink?"

4 hours ago, firebird8 said:

I think there is some truth to it.  There is a lack of awareness of the effects, as it is with sex.  I forget if it's Irish that lets kids drink at age 13 and they still drink moderately despite the stereotypes, but not to the point of alcoholic.  It's not uncommon to see underage people drinking in the US.  It's sad the amount of drunk drivers there are, and people don't seem to be learning from it.  Heck, I'm sure my dad has driven drunk even though he wouldn't admit it.  He drove my mom and I home one night.  He often makes up his own rules so he ends up on the other side of the road when no cars are around and says it's okay.  The night he was drunk, he did just that so I found him driving on the wrong side of the road not out of the ordinary.  It was mom who could smell it in his breath.  Whenever he has had a drink, I would say someone else, me or mom should drive.  Instead of reassuring me that he's fit to drive, he just ignores my worry instead of reassuring me.  I'm not going to believe that you're fine if you do that.

My ace moment today.  I was working for a birthday party and I cut up the cake really cleanly.  I've seen one of us not cut all the way down so we would be giving piles of cake to children.  So my cake cutting skills looked really strong to a co-worker who didn't ever cut a cake before.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, nerdperson777 said:

I forget if it's Irish that lets kids drink at age 13 and they still drink moderately despite the stereotypes, but not to the point of alcoholic.  

I think you're thinking of the French. The Irish do NOT have a reputation for moderate drinking. (The first word my predictive text suggested to follow the word Irish was pub)

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Zebrafinch said:

I think you're thinking of the French. The Irish do NOT have a reputation for moderate drinking. (The first word my predictive text suggested to follow the word Irish was pub)

Reminds me of a Family Guy episode...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Zebrafinch said:

I thought that was his point; that in spite of the stereotype of the drunk Irishman they are really more moderate drinkers. I don't know if they really are moderate drinkers or not.

But I do agree that avoiding a topic or making it taboo so young people don't know much about the actual facts is not a good way of handling things. Better to let them be exposed to things as relatively normal and even mundane, and at least give them facts. Knowledge is better than ignorance. And more helpful when making decisions such as whether to drink or have sex or whatever. And I think it is born out in statistics on things like teen pregnancy and alcoholism. :)

• Like 7

Don't know how this has strayed so far off topic. But speaking as someone who likes an occasional beer, one thing is certain. Whilst alcohol can reduce inhibitions, the one time a random person hit on me wanting sex that night, I ran. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Don't know how this has strayed so far off topic. But speaking as someone who likes an occasional beer, one thing is certain. Whilst alcohol can reduce inhibitions, the one time a random person hit on me wanting sex that night, I ran. 

One classmate in college came to my room drunk and wanted to come in, presumably looking to hook up considering it was really late and my roommate was absent. I let them in so they wouldn’t hurt themselves and promptly climbed my bunk and went to sleep. 

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, SupercalifragilisticNugget said:

I feel like every time I check in on this thread the topic has changed dramatically. 😬

You're not wrong! It's often the case. If it continues like that, I'll attempt to make predictions on the future topic. 😂

SupercalifragilisticNugget
1 hour ago, Aldis Friedman said:

You're not wrong! It's often the case. If it continues like that, I'll attempt to make predictions on the future topic. 😂

Sure why not. 👍🏻

• Like 1
On 7/28/2019 at 12:51 AM, nerdperson777 said:

Meanwhile I took everything at face value.  "It's bad?  Okay."  "No wait, you're supposed to defy me and drink!"  "Why would you tell me not to drink so that I would drink?"

I am definitely a rule follower. I remember trading driver's ed when I was 17 and the teacher was frustrated because I literally did not know how to drive a car at all. She said "haven't you ever driven before?" And I was like...I just got my permit a few days ago? She had to take me to a parking lot to practice starting and stopping (I suppose I was pumping the pedals too hard, it was an automatic transmission so thank goodness she wasn't trying to teach me clutch and shifting and all that).

Anyone else just take rules at face value? I obey speed limits, I never tried alcohol until I was 22, I haven't tried illicit drugs, I don't even take shortcuts across grass if there's a sign that says not to! I'm often thought of as a goody two shoes but I'm just trying to get along.

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, firebird8 said:

I am definitely a rule follower. I remember trading driver's ed when I was 17 and the teacher was frustrated because I literally did not know how to drive a car at all. She said "haven't you ever driven before?" And I was like...I just got my permit a few days ago? She had to take me to a parking lot to practice starting and stopping (I suppose I was pumping the pedals too hard, it was an automatic transmission so thank goodness she wasn't trying to teach me clutch and shifting and all that).

Anyone else just take rules at face value? I obey speed limits, I never tried alcohol until I was 22, I haven't tried illicit drugs, I don't even take shortcuts across grass if there's a sign that says not to! I'm often thought of as a goody two shoes but I'm just trying to get along.

My parents forbade me to read or watch Harry Potter and my mom at least wouldn't explain why, except inasmuch as it was teaching kids witchcraft and was a gateway into the occult ... which made exactly zero sense to my six year old self, who reasoned that it was pretend and kids know it's pretend, and the fact that my sister and I pretended sticks were guns and arrows didn't mean we actually got hurt when we "shot" eachother in Cowgirl and Pocahontas, and how different could stick wands be, really???

That reasoning failed abysmally.

Eventually, my dad sat me down and said, "All you really need to know about Harry Potter is that one day, you will be eighteen. You'll graduate high school, move out, go to college, join the military ... And you can read whatever you want then."

And I looked at him, wide-eyed, "Whatever I want?!"

"Whatever you want, but not until."

So I graduated from high school, enrolled in college, turned eighteen, graduated Army Basic Training, and when I was in AIT (Advanced Individual Training) almost all the way across the continent from home, I started reading Harry Potter.

I am the most obedient person I know.

Edited by frodobelle
  • Like 9
8 minutes ago, frodobelle said:

I am the most obedient person I know.

Ditto, except I probably would've believed her that it was bad at least until I got older. :) I suppose that's more credulous than obedient. 

• Like 2

My parents never let me drive either of our vehicles (a car and pickup truck) before I was 16.

I will run about 10 klicks over the speed limit (more or less with the fliw of traffic). To do the speed limit is to get run over or be the target of 'horn abuse'.

My brother tried to teach me how to drive standard in a parking lot (pickup with bull low first gear) that was a dismal failure. Trying to retain that you started moving in second gear was something I couldn't grasp. 

He had learned how to drive the similar transmission working as a summer student BEFORE he was 16. He didnt drive on the roads but could move the 1 ton dump truck around the job site if needed.

• Like 2

I mean, I also have a story about the time the post library had a 25 cent sale on books and the new Lieutenant had known me exactly long enough to know I was obsessed with books, so he told me he didn't want me spending my whole paycheck in there and I could only get ONE. 

I came back out after dithering over two and when my section asked what took so long, I told them all about this other book that looked soo interesting, and it took me forever to decide and Lieutenant asked, "Why didn't you just get both?"

"B-ecause you said not to, sir??"

He was like, "Damn, you're a good Soldier, I was kidding!" and gave me a quarter for the other book.

• Like 12
29 minutes ago, frodobelle said:

I mean, I also have a story about the time the post library had a 25 cent sale on books and the new Lieutenant had known me exactly long enough to know I was obsessed with books, so he told me he didn't want me spending my whole paycheck in there and I could only get ONE. 

I came back out after dithering over two and when my section asked what took so long, I told them all about this other book that looked soo interesting, and it took me forever to decide and Lieutenant asked, "Why didn't you just get both?"

"B-ecause you said not to, sir??"

He was like, "Damn, you're a good Soldier, I was kidding!" and gave me a quarter for the other book.

LOL!

I don't think we were ever told that we couldn't read anything (I was the bookworm, my brother had no time for it). It was never said, but I'm sure it was implied that 'dirty magazines' were verboten.

• Like 2
nerdperson777
45 minutes ago, firebird8 said:

I think I was okay when I was learning to drive.  Since my childhood made me too scared to do anything, I had massive amounts of control.  My driving instructor was trying to get me to speed up around curves.  I think I ended up doing like 12 mph when he was looking for 18 or 20.  When I play games, I prefer a high sensitivity mouse, so then I like the car that I currently drive, my dad's, because it has a soft pedal that if I'm speeding up, I'm actually trying to speed up.  Then for games, I guess I do that because I feel more immersed when I can control everything down to the smallest detail.  But then I could daydream while I'm driving and not realize that I'm driving 25-30 on a 40 mph road.  My mom speeds through things when she drives, probably because she's used to her sports car.  When she's riding while I'm driving, she complains that I'm not driving at 40 when I'm going at 35 or 30.  It's a speed limit, so I can go slower than 40 if I want to.

I definitely take things at face value all the time.  Just like that 40 mph speed limit.  But it has led me into things that I didn't understand.  I did everything my parents ever asked me to do, and I didn't understand why they were never satisfied with me.  When I started understanding that mental health was a thing, I realized that my parents would say one thing, but they wanted the opposite.  If I followed what they said, I would be in trouble because I didn't do that opposite that they secretly wanted.  If I did that opposite, then I'm in trouble for not following directions.  There's no way to win.  So now, I've found that I do the right thing, nothing happens, or I get in trouble.  If I do the wrong thing, nothing happens or I get in trouble.  So now I just do whatever I feel like doing, since listening to rules did absolutely nothing for me.  Since life hasn't been fair and there is essentially no one right way, I've gotten into a habit of finding ways to prove anything said to me, wrong.

• Like 5