Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Custard Cream
1 hour ago, OwenM said:

I think I started off basically thinking it was allosexuals who were a small minority (knowing I wasn't in it but still thinking I wasn't asexual) and then gradually increasing my assumption of how many allosexuals there were, before eventually finally figuring out that me not being one did in fact make me asexual.

I thought it was, well, kind of a widely held in-joke? Like, this stuff is weird, but let's all pretend it's amazing?

• Like 3

I thought it was something only “adults” did as a kid. Like, after a certain age, you’d be allowed to do it like smoking or drinking, and I thought you’d be arrested if you didn’t wait. I was a cynical kid though, and it didn’t take long past elementary school and into middle school to realize some people had no personal restrictions or restraints. It wasn’t really a surprise considering I didn’t have too many lofty/innocent expectations left to shatter.

• Like 10

i used to get really confused in church when they talked about how important it was to abstain from sex. i always thought it was super easy (i also assumed no one was actually wanting to have sex and everyone thought it was easy too), but everyone else was always stressed and spooked over trying to abstain. i really should’ve realized i was ace sooner 😂

• Like 10
13 minutes ago, sunflxwer said:

i used to get really confused in church when they talked about how important it was to abstain from sex. i always thought it was super easy (i also assumed no one was actually wanting to have sex and everyone thought it was easy too), but everyone else was always stressed and spooked over trying to abstain. i really should’ve realized i was ace sooner 😂

I still don't get why it's such a "difficult" thing to achieve... I guess it's something that can only be understood from a certain perspective...?

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

I still don't get why it's such a "difficult" thing to achieve... I guess it's something that can only be understood from a certain perspective...?

i think so, yes. allos are quite strange..

• Like 2
Littlemermaid223

I have always known about the exploits of the sexual world, and understood what they meant. I also get dirty jokes and all that. But I just never understood why people would do such things. I remember being in high school and hearing people talk about who they had messed around with. I was so confused why that was even a thing. Flash forward to being in college and people talking about sex and all I could do was nod because I didn’t understand why they would want to be doing that with each other. My life is one big awkward moment 😂

• Like 4
Littlemermaid223
On 2/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, laokatok said:

Also, out of interest, am I the only one who never thought there was something wrong with me but just thought that everyone else was either extremely hormonal, exaggerating or lying? I always just assumed that sex really wasn't that big of a deal as everyone made it seem to be and it was just some sort of universal joke. 

Yesss!!!

• Like 1
Littlemermaid223
On 12/5/2008 at 8:58 AM, Teagan said:

I've always been able to pretend to be fully sexual. I've always understood all the sex jokes, I've always been able to identify someone I "like", etc. I don't really enjoy sex scenes in movies but I definitely enjoy hot guys in movies. I know how sexuals are supposed to act. I'm just fairly certain I'm not one... it's very weird.

I am the same way. It’s how I discovered I’m ace. Because although I get all of those things, I am just never at the same level as any of my sexual friends. 

• Like 4
On 2/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, laokatok said:

I never realized that sex ed in 8th grade was supposed to teach us about sex because people my age were already doing it back then. I always thought it would only be for later when we're all adults...

I realized that this was because some people were having sex, but I didn’t understand why they would want to be.  I also thought these people were the minority. Clearly this was like when the whole group got punished because of one or a few kids. Obviously we were having to listen to this torture because of them. I also probably thought most people had free access to computers and internet unmonitored at home, which I’ve learned as an adult that this doesn’t seem to be true for the majority of people my age. If i wanted to know what something meant, i looked it up. By the time of this in school, I had my own laptop, and sat in my room on the Internet totally unmonitored. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, griffinej5 said:

I realized that this was because some people were having sex, but I didn’t understand why they would want to be.  I also thought these people were the minority. Clearly this was like when the whole group got punished because of one or a few kids. Obviously we were having to listen to this torture because of them. I also probably thought most people had free access to computers and internet unmonitored at home, which I’ve learned as an adult that this doesn’t seem to be true for the majority of people my age. If i wanted to know what something meant, i looked it up. By the time of this in school, I had my own laptop, and sat in my room on the Internet totally unmonitored. 

I was surprised how many people’s parents didn’t trust them to behave on their own as a teenager. My parents and most adults had nearly complete confidence in my character; I had my own comp, could go out on my own at reasonable times, and was allowed to play M rated games at 10 yrs old. I never understood why so many kids my age had problems with behaving themselves. I couldn’t act lewd or anything even if I tried, I’m too un-perverted.

• Like 6
59 minutes ago, Laplace said:

I was surprised how many people’s parents didn’t trust them to behave on their own as a teenager. My parents and most adults had nearly complete confidence in my character; I had my own comp, could go out on my own at reasonable times, and was allowed to play M rated games at 10 yrs old. I never understood why so many kids my age had problems with behaving themselves. I couldn’t act lewd or anything even if I tried, I’m too un-perverted.

In my experience, the kids who had parents like that tended to never have to worry about money and got almost everything they asked for- which meant that while they had what they wanted, they still had to behave a certain way around their parents.  Which, unfortunately, leads to them acting out in school and becoming 'rebellious'.

I never had any issues with my parents being controlling and any rules they had were perfectly reasonable and straightforward, while at the same time I only really got things I wanted on special days like Christmas or my b-day due to money issues.

As for games and internet, while I've literally grown up playing M-rated games (starting when I was 5), but I didn't have internet at home until I was 13/14, which, thankfully, my parents didn't try to limit.

I think part of it is that those kinds of parents want their kid(s) to think and act like them, minus their own flaws, which leads to them getting frustrated when (* gasp *) their kid(s) end up acting like their own person.

Also, another part of it may tie into how the whole Nuclear Family thing is still on the common side (in the US at least), which has people in the mentality that so long as a kid is living with their parents (and isn't 18+), they have to do everything their parents tell them to 'because they have to'.

• Like 3
Fluffy Femme Guy
4 hours ago, Littlemermaid223 said:

My life is one big awkward moment 😂

So true!

• Like 3
AcePrincess666
On 12/3/2008 at 9:07 AM, you*hear*but*do*you*listen said:

Remember all those double entendres then went over your head? How about that sex joke a friend told at a party that had to be explained to you? Or that dull, irritating sex scene in an otherwise good movie that all your friends said was "hot?"

Discuss your most ace of asexual moments in this thread. Here's one of mine: I was watching X-Men with a group of friends, and Wolverine was running around in the basement of Xavier's school without a shirt. I went, "For crying out loud, Wolverine, get a shirt on." My friends chorused, "No, Wolverine, keep your shirt off!"

My most recent one is from the movie Rent. I was watching it with my dad and stepmom, and I've been watching that movie since I was 7 years old.... Anyways there was mention of being paid extra for "trimming her trees" which I didn't get and my dad couldn't explain it because he was too busy laughing at my ignorance so I just gave up because it didn't really interest me I was just curious. My whole life sexual jokes have been going over my head tbh.

• Like 1
Custard Cream
5 minutes ago, AcePrincess666 said:

My most recent one is from the movie Rent. I was watching it with my dad and stepmom, and I've been watching that movie since I was 7 years old.... Anyways there was mention of being paid extra for "trimming her trees" which I didn't get and my dad couldn't explain it because he was too busy laughing at my ignorance so I just gave up because it didn't really interest me I was just curious. My whole life sexual jokes have been going over my head tbh.

I thought I was OK with sexual jokes until the Harry Potter wand thing. Now I wonder how much I am failing to get...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CustardCream said:

I thought I was OK with sexual jokes until the Harry Potter wand thing. Now I wonder how much I am failing to get...

I suspect it is better to remain ignorant in this case... ignorance is bliss... most of the time

• Like 2
AcePrincess666
Just now, CustardCream said:

I've had to have sexual jokes explained to me a couple of times for me to get it.... And then I'm always grossed out and annoyed by the immaturity... So honestly whatevery if we don't get sexual jokes it's just a bunch of horny immaturity posed as humour.

• Like 2
AcePrincess666

When a sex scene in a show comes on I always look away and cover my ears or skip it, same with a make out scene... I just feel weird watching that and have no interest and always feel like that time could be used better in the show than a sex/make out scene... Not that anyone I know feels the same way lol

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, AcePrincess666 said:

When a sex scene in a show comes on I always look away and cover my ears or skip it, same with a make out scene... I just feel weird watching that and have no interest and always feel like that time could be used better in the show than a sex/make out scene... Not that anyone I know feels the same way lol

Those are some of the things that come under the classification "why do these even exist???"
Sadly such things are apparently mandatory these days...

• Like 1
AcePrincess666
2 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

Those are some of the things that come under the classification "why do these even exist???"

Which I totally don't get at all...

• Like 1
Custard Cream

I guess a lot of sexual people must like those scenes or they wouldn't be there - but honestly it usually doesn't add much to the story, does it?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AcePrincess666 said:

Which I totally don't get at all...

Sorry, it's outside of my area of expertise also XP

1 minute ago, CustardCream said:

I guess a lot of sexual people must like those scenes or they wouldn't be there - but honestly it usually doesn't add much to the story, does it?

Real question, does it ever actually add something to the story?
I am pretty sure there are simpler, less time consuming, ways to show people are in a relationship... heck, the saved time could even allow them to add a whole extra set of explosions to a 007 film... 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, StomachGod said:

I hate them.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Littlemermaid223 said:

I have always known about the exploits of the sexual world, and understood what they meant. I also get dirty jokes and all that. But I just never understood why people would do such things. I remember being in high school and hearing people talk about who they had messed around with. I was so confused why that was even a thing. Flash forward to being in college and people talking about sex and all I could do was nod because I didn’t understand why they would want to be doing that with each other. My life is one big awkward moment 😂

When I came out to a female friend recently I told her about my preference as a teen for babysitting on Saturday nights rather than partying with my friends.

She asked me if there was sex talk among my classmates. I told her that even though I have a lot of vivid memories of high school ('75 to '79), I didnt't recall ANYTHING being said about who was doing who. Either there wasnt any, I've blanked it out or I was just oblivious to it...

• Like 3
MonsterTurtle
5 minutes ago, will123 said:

She asked me if there was sex talk among my classmates. I told her that even though I have a lot of vivid memories of high school ('75 to '79), I didnt't recall ANYTHING being said about who was doing who. Either there wasnt any, I've blanked it out or I was just oblivious to it...

When other friends first told me that they used to talk about sex during school with each other i was kind of confused as well because i never heard anything.
Maybe everybody else just figured out that i was ace sooner than i did and felt in advance that i was not the best person to talk with about those topics😂😂

• Like 3

Sex scenes are a cheap way to fill screen time, and usually feature the leading two cast members, which is a draw to more potential viewers than it is a turn off. If they sell 100000 extra tickets because of a hot and steamy scene, but only 10000 potential viewers don't attend, it's a profit for the makers 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Yes I guess sex sells after all.

it really does. I remember when I used to post stories online, no one wanted to read the "cute, fluffy, bff" ones. Everyone wanted smut, and as dirty as it could get ☠️. I feel like other media can sometimes be that way too, and not so much sex but also just shoehorning in random romance. I remember I was really enjoying one book, and this random makeout scene came out of nowhere, and it was so weird since the guy had been so mean and borderline abusive to the girl, so I was like "wtf?" I'd love to see, read, or play more games/movies/books where two people of the opposite sex are just close friends.

• Like 11
45 minutes ago, Strifed said:

I remember when I used to post stories online, no one wanted to read the "cute, fluffy, bff" ones.

I would like the "cute, fluffy, bff" ones

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

I think part of it is that those kinds of parents want their kid(s) to think and act like them, minus their own flaws, which leads to them getting frustrated when (* gasp *) their kid(s) end up acting like their own person.

Also, another part of it may tie into how the whole Nuclear Family thing is still on the common side (in the US at least), which has people in the mentality that so long as a kid is living with their parents (and isn't 18+), they have to do everything their parents tell them to 'because they have to'.

This is so important!! 

... I probably have some issues because of that.

A really ace (and aro) moment of mine is when I started to think that I didn't want to date anyone during highshcool, probably just during college, bacause I wanted to focus on studies and my life before getting in a relationship 😂😂

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Littlemermaid223 said:

My life is one big awkward moment 😂

Ditto, lol! 🤣

5 hours ago, Strifed said:

I'd love to see, read, or play more games/movies/books where two people of the opposite sex are just close friends.

Me too. ^_^