Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

5 minutes ago, Hermit Advocate said:

So was mine, and the teacher couldn't actually say the word sex without getting horribly flustered. She taught us a recipe to make meth rather than go into an in depth discussion about  how sex works/the repercussions of sex (no I'm not joking).

How did that happen!??

• Like 4
Fluffy Femme Guy
On 9/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, Zebrafinch said:

Listening to two people who are getting divorced ( not from each other) discussing their lives and exes and thinking I'm glad I'm aro ace.

Hearing about all the problems caused by relationships and sex makes me super glad I don't want to be involved in it.

1 hour ago, Bronztrooper said:

... stretching out stuff that could be taught in a couple weeks into being lessons that take a couple of years to be taught ...

I despised this. Still do, but I don't personally have to deal with it anymore.

• Like 1
Hermit Advocate
2 minutes ago, squaggly said:

How did that happen!??

She was an idiot. She had 3 kids but couldn't talk to a roomful of teenagers about sex. We ended up telling our homeroom teacher, who in turn told the principle who chewed her out a bit. I seriously learned more about sex from fanfiction than I did from her. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Hermit Advocate said:

She was an idiot. She had 3 kids but couldn't talk to a roomful of teenagers about sex. We ended up telling our homeroom teacher, who in turn told the principle who chewed her out a bit. I seriously learned more about sex from fanfiction than I did from her. 

It's pretty socially prescribed to be uncomfortable talking about sex, especially for older generations. She clearly shouldn't have been teaching health, and it's weird that she taught you a meth recipe, but it's not that weird that she'd be uncomfortable with the subject, even having three kids.

Hermit Advocate
1 minute ago, CFilipek said:

It's pretty socially prescribed to be uncomfortable talking about sex, especially for older generations. She clearly shouldn't have been teaching health, and it's weird that she taught you a meth recipe, but it's not that weird that she'd be uncomfortable with the subject, even having three kids.

Yeah, the meth thing was weird. Dunno, she had been teaching sex ed for about 8 years at that point, you think she'd have at least been able to sort of talk about it. She couldn't even say "abstinence is the best policy to avoid getting pregnant or STDs" or shit like that without being incredibly awkward and trying to actually avoid saying it aloud. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hermit Advocate said:

Yeah, the meth thing was weird. Dunno, she had been teaching sex ed for about 8 years at that point, you think she'd have at least been able to sort of talk about it. She couldn't even say "abstinence is the best policy to avoid getting pregnant or STDs" or shit like that without being incredibly awkward and trying to actually avoid saying it aloud. 

That's so weird. Maybe she was having a midlife crisis? If so, it sucks your class got the short end of the stick.

9 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

People often mention that they have had sex ed classes and I'm like "I don't recall my high school having that."  How can you spend a whole year or half a year on a class like that?  Is there really that much to talk about?

I went to a K-8 Catholic school, and our sex ed spanned from grades 5-8. In grade 5, they brought in a doctor for a few days to explain the bodily and emotional changes that accompany puberty. In grade 6, they brought in a doctor again to explain pregnancy to the girls. I have no idea what the boys talked about because in both years they split us up by sex. In grades 7 & 8, we had these semester-long classes called Family Life or something like that. Honestly, I don't remember what they taught, but the weird thing is, I think they must have discussed contraceptives at some point (besides abstinence, of course) because when I took Health in high school, I already knew about the most common contraceptives. I have no idea where I would have learned about them from if not in middle school because I was a pretty sheltered child. I could be misremembering, of course.

3 hours ago, Dani-Chan said:

I never got sex ed in school. Well, there was something in Grade 7, but I can't recall what was discussed. I don't think it was too graphic or explicit, though. It's weird. I can't recall it very much, other than feeling EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

I'm a bit like you. I only remember small fragments. I feel like child-me purposefully blocked out the more traumatizing aspects of it. For example, months after our pregnancy talk girls were talking about how sex works, but I kept denying how straight sex works when someone wanted to talk to me about it. I refused to believe that sex worked in the way that it did. But according to the other girls in my class, the doctor told us how it worked, so it must be true.

The only thing I actually remember was that I was terrified that periods would incapacitate me through blood loss, and TMI for genitalia:

Spoiler

that apparently the clitoris is made of the same cells as the penis. I remember thinking that it was so cool that girls have a vagina and something that is made of the same thing as a penis. 10-year-old me thought that meant girls kinda have both, and I was so down with that, I told my parents about it when they asked if I had any questions. Looking back, they were probably concerned about me. :lol:

• Like 1

Back in 9th grade, before I even knew what asexuality was, I got asked out by a very sweet girl. I said yes because she was smart, pretty, funny, and we had been good friends. Some how the relationship lasted 5 months and at the end she said "I'm breaking up with you because this just feels like a really good friendship, I want a boyfriend." I was heart broken because that was exactly what I envisioned a relationship as and here she was bashing it. Fast forward several years I found out what asexuality, aromantic, and a squish are. Needless to say things make a lot more sense now...

• Like 8
All The Thoughts
2 minutes ago, Builderboy said:

Needless to say things make a lot more sense now...

Well that’s always good! These things can be so confusing sometimes

• Like 1

@All The Thoughts Absolutely! I am 23 and have fully excepted that I might never stop questioning things about my self: major, romantic orientation, personal ethics, and there is a lot more but most importantly what to eat...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Aloney said:

Oh, is there a lot of science folks here at AVEN? I know next to nothing about mathematics, so this sounds very sciencey to me, and I'm a biologist myself 😅 Yeah, we have those annoying "innuendo" names in biology, too. One of the bigger ones is when we are taught about the ecology of Parus family of birds. They... They are called "tits", in English. For example, blue tit, great tit... oh god, don't get me started with the ecology of great tits... even the lecturer can't keep a straight face and I'm sitting there like *sigh*. 

How bout the Lesser Tit or the Brown Tit?  One of my expartners was an Ornithologist. 

Also the very first node in a linked list is called "The head". Sometimes you'd have to pass the head into a function. People could barely pay attention when the teacher talked about "putting the head in the function.". 

@Neutral nerd my towns sex "ed" was abstinence only. They tried to scare a bunch of hormone fueled teenagers out of sex. 

Spoiler

The sex ed they gave was basically, if you have sex, even if you're partner is wearing a condom and is STD free you will instantly have aids, get pregnant give birth to a child who's head looks like a cauliflower. Here's some paper, draw a cauliflower, cut it out, hold it in front of you in the mirror. There now you have had sex, you don't need to have it. k?

None of that was actually said but it's hard to put a full month of cis heteronormative conditioning in 3 sentences. Our sex ed was super effective...at making our high school the record holder for the most drop outs due to teen pregnancy in the state. ( My class started with over 300 people and when I graduated it was around 220 ). 

You tell kids that condoms are ineffective and remove any possibility of them obtaining contraceptives because removing them will stop kids having sex?  What did you think would happen?!

If they had told me about asexuality or transgender things would have been different. Out of the core 5 friends that have stuck together after high school only 2 are cishet. The 3 of us that aren't figured it out around 30 and we have all commiserated over the lives we lost because our sex ed was lacking. 

All of us have said we just needed one final push to admit it and US sex ed dropped the ball. Sex ed in the US isn't just a joke, it's a cog in the machine for trans/homophobia. Just goes to show that school is more a tool of conformity than actual education. 

I'll get off my soapbox now ^_^;

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Hermit Advocate said:

Sounds like a story that you would hear in the news.

3 hours ago, Aloney said:

Unfortunately I don't, I would actually like to find out, too 😅 I'm very interested in the etymology of names and words :) 

Of course I just HAD to look it up: seems to me that the biological meaning is older than the slang meaning if you assume that the word the slang is based on was used in a normal, non vulgar-ish way. But I'm not sure..

https://www.etymonline.com/word/tit

• Like 1

I had an ace moment earlier today: I was at a friends house, and my mom called me to tell me that she had gone to a party, and wouldn't be home when I got back. I asked her how it was, and she just said that they were just talking and eating cake. My asexual brain immediately perked up at that word, cake, and asked, in an appalled voice, why they were eating cake without me. The conversation went something like this: 

Me: CAke?! You're eating cake without me?!

Mom: Yes, it's adult cake though, you wouldn't like it very much.

Me: Why not? does it have alcohol in it or something?  

Mom: No...

Me: Then why...?

Mom: It's shaped like a penis. 

Me: Oh... yeah I'm good...

I was horrified at the idea that someone would make something as sacred as cake into something like that. Like, why? just why?

• Like 10
Anthracite_Impreza
13 hours ago, Aloney said:

Yeah, we have those annoying "innuendo" names in biology, too. One of the bigger ones is when we are taught about the ecology of Parus family of birds. They... They are called "tits", in English. For example, blue tit, great tit... oh god, don't get me started with the ecology of great tits... even the lecturer can't keep a straight face and I'm sitting there like *sigh*. 

Don't forget boobies and shags ;)

• Like 6

One of my asexual moments was when I was at comic con. My friends and I were wandering outside the con and we walked by a restaurant where a woman wearing a bikini was holding a plate of quesadillas. Now, all my friends pointed out the woman and I legitimately thought they were focusing on the quesadillas she was holding. All I can think of was how much I wanted quesadillas and they thought I was making an innuendo. Ugh. It was really irritating at the time but I find it hilarious now haha.

• Like 7
Nea Rose Symphony

Flexible ace moment: being fine being sexual with a current partner but not understanding what it's like to want sex and wanting to feel such desires

Sometimes I wish I wasn't ace

• Like 1
10 hours ago, squaggly said:

My sex ed was about half a day.

Yeah I only learned about puberty in 5th grade and then dreading when it would happen to me. 

8 hours ago, a minor triad said:

Hide contents

that apparently the clitoris is made of the same cells as the penis. I remember thinking that it was so cool that girls have a vagina and something that is made of the same thing as a penis. 10-year-old me thought that meant girls kinda have both, and I was so down with that, I told my parents about it when they asked if I had any questions. Looking back, they were probably concerned about me. :lol:

There was a middle school rumor that the loose elbow skin was the same as that from a penis.

2 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Don't forget boobies and shags ;)

I was about to mention that but I got beat to the punch. 

Think my mom and I had an ace moment just now. We were watching a movie on the TV. This lady took off a bathrobe to soak in a tub. There was no censoring, her body was on full display. I asked why the tub was full of water. When she went in, water just spilled over. Mom agreed and said she was wasting water. I'm surprised dad didn't make a comment about her body. 

• Like 3

I was always confused by people who called cars sexy. More so than that, I was confused by what cars and people, particularly women, had in common for both of them to be considered sexy.

• Like 3

My sex ed was a few classes in Grade 11 Phys Ed & Health. No mention of abstinence to prevent STDs nor the dreaded 'condom on a banana' demonstration. 

Right now the main controversy in Ontario is the repeal of a revised sex ed curriculum that was introduced in 2015 to replace the previous one from the late 90s. I haven't been following it in depth as I have no skin in the game but the media goes on and on about it. Supposedly it will be revised with more consultation with parents. Apparently a lot felt some of the content was not age appropriate. We'll see how it goes but in the end I'm guessing nobody will be happy.

[Rant alert] The previous premier was a lesbian who could at times be very condescending and accused those that opposed her of being homophobic. I have a feeling that in some ways people that were on the fence so to speak about LGBT issues became turned off because she was so preachy.[end of rant]

As far as I'm concerned the education curriculum should be looked at after seeing the nonsense my nephew went thru. He's 21 but his printing is awful and he can barely write his name. This is disheartening as my father was a draftsman before CAD and I took it thru high school. Working in the trades my brother and I using print clearly in caps so there is no confusion about what we have to say.

Then don't get me going on how he was taught division and multiplication. My brother is a math whiz and the two of them fought like dogs and cats when he was trying to help with the homework. I couldn't make heads or tails of it. And the pointyheads wonder why kids' math marks are declining?

Anyways I'm gone for a week and don't know if I'll have 'net access TTYL! 

@nerdperson777, the "elbow skin being left over scrotum skin" is from a Billy Conolly stage show in the 1970's

13 hours ago, Aloney said:

Oh, it must be different in different countries! Where I'm from the biology of human production was covered in science class in fifth grade=we were 11-12-year-olds. The recreational part was taught somewhere around eight grade, I think? It was one or two classes, where we were shown educational videos, taught about... if I remember correctly, the consent stuff, birth control, and to... be gentle about touching sensitive parts of your partner or something..?

Then your sex ed was better than sex ed in 99% (at least) of US schools.  Which, really, isn't that high a bar to begin with.  I can't even bother to conjure up the energy to be frustrated with how shitty sex ed is in the US because I'm just numbed to it now.  It really shouldn't be this way, but then, a lot of stuff shouldn't be the way it is.

3 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Think my mom and I had an ace moment just now. We were watching a movie on the TV. This lady took off a bathrobe to soak in a tub. There was no censoring, her body was on full display. I asked why the tub was full of water. When she went in, water just spilled over. Mom agreed and said she was wasting water. I'm surprised dad didn't make a comment about her body. 

I remember watching a video on YouTube that was supposed to showcase a romance mod for Skyrim (which, really, was less a mod and more a fan-made short film using Skyrim) with one of my friends and for some reason, it showed the female character going for a swim completely nude (modded and all) for no reason whatsoever.  It took up 2 minutes of the video and was completely pointless for anything other than just eye candy.

I got pretty annoyed with it and mentioned it to my friend and she agreed that there was no reason for it to be in the video anyway.  A couple minutes after that part, we gave up on the video because it was clearly not what we thought it was (we were looking for actual romance mods for Skyrim since we both had it on PC and ended up not really finding anything).

3 hours ago, oldsoulvocalist said:

I was always confused by people who called cars sexy. More so than that, I was confused by what cars and people, particularly women, had in common for both of them to be considered sexy.

Something, something, something, curves.

Probably.  I guess.  🤔

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DeltaBird said:

I was horrified at the idea that someone would make something as sacred as cake into something like that. Like, why? just why?

This comment just made my day! CAKE ❤️

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bronztrooper said:

I remember watching a video on YouTube that was supposed to showcase a romance mod for Skyrim (which, really, was less a mod and more a fan-made short film using Skyrim) with one of my friends and for some reason, it showed the female character going for a swim completely nude (modded and all) for no reason whatsoever.  It took up 2 minutes of the video and was completely pointless for anything other than just eye candy.

Whatever you do, don't fall down the rabbit-hole of the 'clean faces' mods, whatever the hell doll-like nonsense they are aiming for

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, œddy said:

Whatever you do, don't fall down the rabbit-hole of the 'clean faces' mods, whatever the hell doll-like nonsense they are aiming for

Ugh, those mods just annoy me.  They're the kind of mods that people who complain about female characters not being 'pretty enough' would use in a heartbeat even if it broke half the game in the process.

I also avoid mods that add in anything that looks like it came from an anime as well as mods that add weapons and armor that are very bright and colorful because 1) it's very jarring because they stick out like Andre the Giant in the Lollipop Guild in a lot of games, and 2) I'm more a fan of darker and muted colors as well as stuff that looks like it could've been in the base game.

And that's not to mention the face morphs that are described as being 'improvements' on the design of major characters 🙄

3 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

Something, something, something, curves.

Probably.  I guess.  🤔

@Anthracite_Impreza is the one to ask. 

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza
3 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

Something, something, something, curves

7 hours ago, oldsoulvocalist said:

I have been summoned. I don't know why women are considered sexy at all, but cars, yes. I'm asexual but they can still make my stomach flip ;)

• Like 5

When I was in the equivalent of 7th grade, my French teacher handed out a list of books. We were allowed to choose one to present an oral about. He wanted us to choose one of our books for the semester, so we'd like at least one if we weren't fans of the ones he has chosen. It was really nice of him. Anyways, I'm an avid reader : I devour books since second grade. At the end of the list, there was a small section, 'Pour les lecteurs avisés' (it's hard to translate, but it loosely means 'for the readers who are aware'). I, being a small innocent little ace, thought it to mean that the books were more complex and contained more pages. The book I chose first ended up being picked by someone else, so I chose a random book from the small section at the end, thinking they'd be more interesting than the others on the list. I thoroughly regretted it... The sexual parts weren't omnipresent or anything, it was still fairly appropriate for 12- to 13-year-olds, but I was really disappointed. The plot was boring and the characters weren't fleshed out at all. I was really sad! I gave the book an awful grade in my oral as revenge.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

Ugh, those mods just annoy me.  They're the kind of mods that people who complain about female characters not being 'pretty enough' would use in a heartbeat even if it broke half the game in the process.

I also avoid mods that add in anything that looks like it came from an anime as well as mods that add weapons and armor that are very bright and colorful because 1) it's very jarring because they stick out like Andre the Giant in the Lollipop Guild in a lot of games, and 2) I'm more a fan of darker and muted colors as well as stuff that looks like it could've been in the base game.

And that's not to mention the face morphs that are described as being 'improvements' on the design of major characters 🙄

I hate these mods! All of them don't actually contribute to the game, and don't do anything more than slow it down and make it lag. I like the mods that actually do something though, like there is a cape mod that allows you to make capes as an extra piece of clothing, so you can have another enchanted item. One of my favorite mods is the Live Another Life mod, which allows you to start a different way than just the Stormcloak execution.

• Like 1

Everyone knows the only mod worth getting for Skyrim replaces the dragon noise with Macho Man going OOOOHHH YEAAAAAHHH

Or just this entire video

• Like 1