Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

13 minutes ago, imahappynothing said:

I'm only 14, almost 15, but flirting will always go over my head for at least a week.

A whole week, huh? Impressive. Well, at least at that age you have a good excuse for that. I don't. I'm nearly 28, at my age it's starting to get a little ridiculous, lol. :P 

• Like 3
Ase of Spades
Just now, Planet Ace said:

A whole week, huh? Impressive. Well, at least at that age you have a good excuse for that. I don't. I'm nearly 28, at my age it's starting to get a little ridiculous, lol. :P 

I can do you one better. I'm 26 at it took over a MONTH before I realized someone had flirted with me, and I only found out because a friend had to spell it out for me after I told her about it. :D

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Ase of Spades said:

I can do you one better. I'm 26 at it took over a MONTH before I realized someone had flirted with me, and I only found out because a friend had to spell it out for me after I told her about it. :D

Haha, that's hilarious! OK, you win. :cake: 

donttouchme
25 minutes ago, Ase of Spades said:

Well gee now I'm wondering how much I have missed...

1 hour ago, Planet Ace said:

That sounds like something I would have done at that age, too. Heck, sometimes flirting still goes over my head. I like to think I'm smarter now than I was at 14, but sometimes I'm not. 

Lots of people compliment my eyes, but clearly not in a “flirting” way due to context, it’s simply athsetic as far as I know.

30 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

Lots of people compliment my eyes, but clearly not in a “flirting” way due to context, it’s simply athsetic as far as I know.

My pupils are abnormally large, so at least 5 people have asked me if I was high this year. Hehe.

My friend has also told me she wants to steal my eyes. I had to refuse, I rather like my eyes.

5 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

You should know from people here that sex isn't everything.  There are people out there just like you who could do that.  You aren't going to make them miserable.

I know there are, but I still feel like I would let anyone down. I still have a long time before I'm at risk of being alone forever. I hope I'll find someone

So today I was with two of my friends, who I will call T (the boy) and A (the girl). Two other girls came up to us (I shall call them L and S) and asked if T and A were dating. They said no. L and S then suggested to me that I date C (a boy in my math class). I asked them to repeat their sentence and they did. I cringed in fear/disgust/at-the-pure-cringiness-of-it. I then asked one of my friends to pinch me to make sure I wasn't having a nightmare.

S was the girl who suggested that I had a crush on a boy over the summer and I didn't. 

S and L are good people, but they meddle. And apparently are obsessed with my love life. This should be… interesting.

nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Ase of Spades said:

A month?  I got two years on me.  The guy, who I thought was my online friend, was trying to say something to me several times before we went to do real life stuff, but backed out.  Only a week before he actually confessed, did I actually think of the possibility.

• Like 4
PixleyDust✨
On 3/7/2018 at 12:00 PM, nerdperson777 said:

I can always bring back an old story for newer people I guess.  I went to a community college to satisfy my high school language requirement.  I was 14 and didn't realize that my 19 year old classmate was flirting with me.  He said that I had beautiful eyes and I went home telling my parents about the strange thing my classmate said to me.

19? Okay, that’s kind of gross. Seems like less of an “ace” moment, and more like a “to catch a predator” moment to me. 

OH MY GOD.

You should have asked him if his wingman was Chris Hansen. 🤣

• Like 1
PixleyDust✨

Ignore this, I flubbed up trying to edit this post. 

• Like 1
PixleyDust✨
15 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

15 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

A month?  I got two years on me.  The guy, who I thought was my online friend, was trying to say something to me several times before we went to do real life stuff, but backed out.  Only a week before he actually confessed, did I actually think of the possibility.

What do you guys think of 4 YEARS? 

It took me 4 YEARS to realize that my guy friend was trying to woo me by giving me a necklace for my birthday.

Side note: He had not done it before nor ever did it again. And I don’t blame him. 🤣

• Like 2
nerdperson777
4 minutes ago, Pixley said:

What do you guys think of 4 YEARS? 

It took me 4 YEARS to realize that my guy friend was trying to woo me by giving me a necklace for my birthday.

Side note: He had not done it before nor ever did it again. And I don’t blame him. 🤣

My friend bought me two $60 games with the money he made off a game economy that I found rather unhealthy and way too competitive.   He also gave me a rare game item  with hearts on it and I was thinking about how romance repulsed I was that I hated hearts, but I can't say anything bad about his gift. 

• Like 2
PixleyDust✨
3 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

My friend bought me two $60 games with the money he made off a game economy that I found rather unhealthy and way too competitive.   He also gave me a rare game item  with hearts on it and I was thinking about how romance repulsed I was that I hated hearts, but I can't say anything bad about his gift. 

So you get what I’m talking about.

Romantic stuff like that goes over my head if it’s a FRIEND giving it to me. I would just be thinking that’s just what good friends do.

• Like 4
nerdperson777
2 minutes ago, Pixley said:

So you get what I’m talking about.

Romantic stuff like that goes over my head if it’s a FRIEND giving it to me. I would just be thinking that’s just what good friends do.

The first gift was a new game that came out a little before my birthday and so I thought he gave it as a birthday gift.  Then the second was a gift that came with asking me out.  I didn't feel right taking it if his asking out wasn't successful but he said that I should take it anyway.  That was before I came out so I think that was all him hoping that I'd come around.

• Like 1
Ase of Spades

I'm actually kind of afraid of having male friends because excluding the ones that were gay, every male friend I felt close to wound up getting a crush on me. :blink: 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ase of Spades said:

I'm actually kind of afraid of having male friends because excluding the ones that were gay, every male friend I felt close to wound up getting a crush on me. :blink: 

A lot of my close guy friends are either dating someone,  4 years younger than me, gay, or clearly not interested because we've established we're like siblings.

Well, I think I have people beat on how long you were unaware someone was flirting with you...  Try 10 years.  A decade, you read that right.  I probably have posted this story somewhere else, but, here it is again.

Back in high school, hung out with a bunch of friends of various genders.  One day I was just sitting at our table during lunch as normal, and I was talking to one of the girls who hung out with us.  (Apparently she was very attractive too, and was wearing a low cut shirt that day, but, at the time I did not notice).  Then, just before lunch ended, she reaches across the table and grabs my hands.  I pull back like I have just been burned (I am very touch averse).  The bell rings, I go to class. 

The rest of the day passes, and after school I was hanging out where we all met before wandering off to whatever we all were going to do after school.  I am the first one out, so, I am just idling there.  She comes up and just hugs me out of nowhere, and I just stand there stunned and standing frozen like a statue, because I have NO idea what is going on.  My friend later describe it as "The most awkward looking thing ever."  After that, it never came up again.

Fast forward ten years, and I am having lunch with a friend from high school and we were talking about our high school days, and he tells me that that girl was actually really interested in me, because I was the only guy she had ever met that never really noticed her like all the other hormonally driven guys did, and she knew I wasn't gay either because she had her gay friend try to flirt with me and was similarly ignored.  (This is when I was told how awkward it all looked)  I asked him, "Why didn't she just ask?"  and my friend replied with, "She came pretty close to literally throwing her [slang word for vagina] at you.  You didn't react so she took that as a no."

Why do people make things so complicated.  All the confusion would have been averted if she just asked in so many words.  I might have even said yes, just to see what all the fuss about dating was about.  Oh well, spilled milk and all that.

• Like 14
nerdperson777

@Zash Okay you win.  I bow down.

• Like 3

We all bow down. 

• Like 6

I've had a lot of these but probably the most prevalent at the moment is when I sit with my friends at lunch. Mostly it's fine, but every so often they get on the topic of sex and make tons of jokes and innuendos that make me insanely uncomfortable. I just came out to them as ace but I don't think they understand. It's disappointing because I thought they would stop but no changes have occurred. 

• Like 2

Even if I was romantic, I just wasn’t born with the genetic material necessary to be successful at romance. Apparently, I’ve had a bunch of people interested in me and I just completely failed to notice. Here’s just a few potential failures (cause I’m STILL not sure if I missed the messages or not 😅):

1. In middle school, I constantly argued with someone all the time. It was the most cliched “picking on a crush” story ever, but I didn’t realize it. I was later told that people thought we were into each other.

2. I’ve had like two people write extensively in my yearbook in high school, and, looking back, they always tried to be in the same group as me in class. My friends who saw the messages yelled at me cause I didn’t get it.

3. I found a short “I love you” note in a binder that I only used for one class, and there was like only one or two people of the opposite gender I talked to in that class or even had the opportunity to access my binder. I thought it was a prank by my guy friends in the class and ignored it.

4. In college, I had a classmate I’d hang out with mostly for classwork. I’d usually end up not seeing people much after the course ended but this person tried to have multiple classes with me the next quarter. They once invited me to have dinner at their house, at night, alone (their roommate was conveniently gone), and their ostensible reason for inviting me was they wanted help on a course I didn’t even have. I didn’t suspect anything until I graduated.

And possibly more. So my entire adolescent life, I operated under the assumption I was just unpopular, unattractive, and bad at romance (which is actually correct) which really messed with my head cause I didn’t know about asexuality.

• Like 10

I've just re-discovered The Assumption Song. I once watched it when I was like 14, and my only reaction was: "Such a stupid song, it doesn't make any sense, and it doesn't even rhyme, even though it clearly sound like it should!". I feel incredibly ace for not getting any of it back then.

I suppose my most recent ace moment was a few months ago when I found AVEN, because before I never knew what asexual was or even heard of it and reading all the FAQS and explanations about asexuality and thinking 'well, this explains a LOT' and then immediately making an account so I could go on all the forums.

• Like 8
Ms. Carolynne
13 minutes ago, Amy94 said:

I suppose my most recent ace moment was a few months ago when I found AVEN, because before I never knew what asexual was or even heard of it and reading all the FAQS and explanations about asexuality and thinking 'well, this explains a LOT' and then immediately making an account so I could go on all the forums.

My stumbling upon asexuality was similar.

Somebody referenced the LGBTQIAK community, and I was thinking "What are all these letters? This is like an eyechart!"

So I Googled it, and ran into a BuzzFeed article describing each one.

Asexuality of course stood out to me, so I ended up looking that up.

I ended up reading some stuff on the AVEN wiki, and did some lurking on these forums and it clicked for me at that point.

Before that I didn't even know asexuality was a thing, I had never heard of it.

• Like 6
BessTheLandlordsDaughter
8 minutes ago, G1P0 said:

My stumbling upon asexuality was similar.

Somebody referenced the LGBTQIAK community, and I was thinking "What are all these letters? This is like an eyechart!"

So I Googled it, and ran into a BuzzFeed article describing each one.

Asexuality of course stood out to me, so I ended up looking that up.

I ended up reading some stuff on the AVEN wiki, and did some lurking on these forums and it clicked for me at that point.

Before that I didn't even know asexuality was a thing, I had never heard of it.

I feel ya. I never cared or worried about the fact that I didn't really date and ever have sex 'cause I figured that eventually I'd meet *someone* who didn't make me cringe at the idea. That's what supposed to happen, right?

Fast forward a couple months until my 30th birthday and I started wondering if I needed therapy or something, so I just googled "asexuality" in desperation but I seriously expected a bunch of science articles about plants and animals to show up. I had no idea it could be a thing for people until I found AVEN.

Thank (insert preferred deity here) too!

• Like 9
BessTheLandlordsDaughter
On 3/8/2018 at 7:31 PM, Ase of Spades said:

This has definitely happened to me so many times. I'm going through it right now with a coworker that would be a great friend to hang out with if he could stop wanting to date me. 

• Like 1

Went to the Women's Day march on Thursday, and my organisation's demand was for a new consent law that is being discussed in Parliament in Norway now. We had signs saying Sex is great, but ask for permission! I couldn't make myself carry one, I felt awkward just looking at it 

• Like 5