Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

32 minutes ago, Tintinfan said:

That would be amazing. and prevent people hitting on us.

Yaaas. Let's just make this a thing now, guys! Then, when someone tries to hit on us, we just pull the card out of our back pocket and say, "Nope!".

• Like 5
On 2/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Avian said:

As a gay person I've heard about the hanky codes despite never frequenting bars where people display them. I just looked into these codes recently and... yikes, I thought there was only a dozen or so, but it appears you need to take a field guide book to learn these colors (NSFW obviously). In a dimly lit bar or club it's important to be able to distinguish some of subtleties of colors!

If aces were to display something in their pockets what do you think we should agree upon? An ace playing card first comes to mind.

Something like this?

1000x1000.png

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Avian said:

Maybe not the Motorhead part! :D

It might help in certain situations or locales :D

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Laplace said:

My brother used to (idk about now) talk a LOT in his sleep. He’d just go nuts sometimes and be muttering to himself for like a good 20 seconds straight about some nonsense. It wasn’t too loud though thankfully. I used to have to share a room with him, and I still need to share the bed when we sleep at hotels on family trips.

I knew I talked in my sleep. I just didn't know how often I did it until I started rooming with an insomniac. Apparently... I do it a lot. Sometimes it's owl noises at three AM. Don't ask me why. Don't ask me how. I don't know.

• Like 1

i remember in secondary school not knowing that 'meet' was slang for french kissing. this caused problems when some girls asked me if i had ever 'met' a boy, and taking them literally, i said 'well, obviously' and they said 'oh how many' and i said 'well, i don't keep count, so....no idea'

it was only when i was going to a dance [my all girls school ocassionally organised a dance with an all boys school near us] and my mum [knowing i'm not not very social] said 'okay, is there any thing you [my sister] should tell amy before she goes' 

and my sister says 'well 'meet' is slang for french kissing' and i just yelled

'WHAT'

why do teenagers have to ruin perfectly good words.....

• Like 12
nerdperson777
4 hours ago, Amy94 said:

i remember in secondary school not knowing that 'meet' was slang for french kissing. this caused problems when some girls asked me if i had ever 'met' a boy, and taking them literally, i said 'well, obviously' and they said 'oh how many' and i said 'well, i don't keep count, so....no idea'

it was only when i was going to a dance [my all girls school ocassionally organised a dance with an all boys school near us] and my mum [knowing i'm not not very social] said 'okay, is there any thing you [my sister] should tell amy before she goes' 

'WHAT'

I wrote one a while back about me doing an essay and I had to look up "know".  Apparently it also means to have intercourse with.  How do you turn an innocent word like "know" to have such an out-of-left-field connotation?

• Like 6
1 hour ago, nerdperson777 said:

I wrote one a while back about me doing an essay and I had to look up "know".  Apparently it also means to have intercourse with.  How do you turn an innocent word like "know" to have such an out-of-left-field connotation?

I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder so I tend to take things literally, but as I got older I'd sort of filter stuff in my head first ( sort of like when a computer puts squiggly lines under your text) and then I'd juse think

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

so these days i always 'replay' what someone said in my head, thinking of slang, sarcasm, irony, innuendos, etc before i reply, especially if it's people i don't know well or friends who joke around  a lot.

my brother and sister used to say things with various degrees of sarcasm [reallly really exagerated sarcasism, or just a tiny hint] to see if i'd notice.

to this day i don't know if they were helping me or laughing at me

[probably both]

• Like 1
nerdperson777
4 hours ago, Amy94 said:

I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder so I tend to take things literally, but as I got older I'd sort of filter stuff in my head first ( sort of like when a computer puts squiggly lines under your text) and then I'd juse think

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

so these days i always 'replay' what someone said in my head, thinking of slang, sarcasm, irony, innuendos, etc before i reply, especially if it's people i don't know well or friends who joke around  a lot.

my brother and sister used to say things with various degrees of sarcasm [reallly really exagerated sarcasism, or just a tiny hint] to see if i'd notice.

to this day i don't know if they were helping me or laughing at me

[probably both]

This whole post is me, haha.  Just that I don't have human siblings.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

I feel like 'to know' someone is a bit of an older phrase/ outdated. So I dunno.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, spazzticsoda said:

I feel like 'to know' someone is a bit of an older phrase/ outdated. So I dunno.

Oh yes, it's very old. We're talking Shakespearean old (if not older). There's a reason people usually say somebody "knew" someone else "in the biblical sense," when they use that word to mean sex. 

• Like 2
Fantastic Name
47 minutes ago, Planet Ace said:

Oh yes, it's very old. We're talking Shakespearean old (if not older). There's a reason people usually say somebody "knew" someone else "in the biblical sense," when they use that word to mean sex. 

Makes me wonder what people from back then would do if they just wanted to say they'd met somebody without it turning into an innuendo.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Fantastic Name said:

Makes me wonder what people from back then would do if they just wanted to say they'd met somebody without it turning into an innuendo.

"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord." (Genesis 4:1, King James Bible of 1611)

In this context it's pretty clear that 'know' must mean something else because Adam and Eve have known each other for a while at this point in the story. I guess it's just a very old-fashioned shameful way of talking about sex; glad these times are past.

I suppose in most cases "knowing sb" was not understood as having a sexual encounter, only in very specific contexts.

• Like 4
On 2/26/2018 at 6:12 PM, Planet Ace said:

I think it was junior year of high school we read "The Crucible" and the term "know" was used in the biblical sense. For months afterward, classmates would make the joke, "Oh, do you know so-and-so? But do you know her?"  OMG. It was funny maybe the first week, not the 4,576 times after that.

• Like 6

friends saw me "making out" with a girl, and asked how long I've been in the relationship. After hearing I was in it for almost a year, they asked if we did anything more. My response after a couple seconds of thinking was, "we held hands"

yeah the lighting was bad where I was and they probably couldn't tell it was most likely a hug. Kissing is disgusting 😂 

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, squaggly said:

friends saw me "making out" with a girl, and asked how long I've been in the relationship. After hearing I was in it for almost a year, they asked if we did anything more. My response after a couple seconds of thinking was, "we held hands"

yeah the lighting was bad where I was and they probably couldn't tell it was most likely a hug. Kissing is disgusting 😂 

In my old high school the students lounge had one comfy chair and my (male) best friend and I usually shared it when we were alone in there (because if someone else was around the comfy chair was usually already taken), because neither of us wanted to make the other one sit on one of the classroom chairs. Oh the number of times someone opened the door, saw the two of us squashed into a chair clearly meant for just one person in an otherwise empty room, mumbled "Oh, sorry" and left again. We always found it hilarious.

• Like 12
On 2/26/2018 at 10:42 AM, Amy94 said:

'WHAT'

I didn't know "meet" mean french kissing until I read this. According to Urbandictionary, it is an Irish slang term so maybe it's more American-ness than ace-ness for me why I didn't know

• Like 1
On 2/26/2018 at 2:32 PM, nerdperson777 said:

WHAT? THEY'RE RUINING EVERYTHING

• Like 4
On 2/23/2018 at 7:16 AM, Avian said:

As a gay person I've heard about the hanky codes despite never frequenting bars where people display them. I just looked into these codes recently and... yikes, I thought there was only a dozen or so, but it appears you need to take a field guide book to learn these colors (NSFW obviously). In a dimly lit bar or club it's important to be able to distinguish some of subtleties of colors!

If aces were to display something in their pockets what do you think we should agree upon? An ace playing card first comes to mind.

Would a Harry Potter ace of cards work?

We have a ring already. There is nothing else we really need. I don't see the point in professing your asexuality until someone actually asks you out, but I still want to have a ring. I should get mine tomorrow, but I don't know if I got the right size. I'm worried I might need to wait another week for a new one.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, squaggly said:

We have a ring already. There is nothing else we really need. I don't see the point in professing your asexuality until someone actually asks you out, but I still want to have a ring. I should get mine tomorrow, but I don't know if I got the right size. I'm worried I might need to wait another week for a new one.

I also like the ring, it's unobtrusive, but it makes me happy because it reminds me that there's nothing wrong with me and that I'm not alone. Personally, I don't feel a need to be super "in your face" about my sexuality; the only person who really needs to know is any hypothetical future partner, though I have told a few people.

If your ring doesn't end up being the right size, you could go to a store and try on rings until you find a size that's comfortable, and maybe get a cheap silver one and color it black in the meantime.

• Like 2
On 2018-02-23 at 8:16 AM, Avian said:

That'd actually be pretty cool honestly. Like you could just carry an Ace of Spades around.

7 hours ago, Farin Fae said:

That'd actually be pretty cool honestly. Like you could just carry an Ace of Spades around.

It might be handy if, say, an ace wanted to go out to a bar or clubbing (alone or with friends) and wanted to place it as a symbol that means "not here for a hook-up" or "not interested"

• Like 3
PixleyDust✨
On 12/18/2017 at 6:12 AM, awkward_pterodactyl said:

Generally I get innuendos (there’s a lot in high school and on the internet) but I flat-out don’t get flirting or... attraction? Once I passed a group of guys on my way out of work. One informed me, “My friend thinks you’re cute!” I gave him a thumbs up and kept walking.

That has to be the best reaction to catcalling I’ve heard of so far. Probably because of the subtle sarcasm that could be inferred from such a gesture...

...or much more likely because I immediately thought of this:

latest?cb=20160302011232

• Like 4

The whole Biblical definition of “know” thing is just another instance of religion interfering with my aro ace life. First they ruin innocuous words thousands of years before I was born (only being slightly sarcastic there :P), and now it brainwashes my father into believing some narrowminded mumbo-jumbo that will probably prevent me from ever really comfortably coming out to him. I try to be accepting of religion, but religion enjoys making me suffer. I’m glad I’m probably not romantic; I can’t imagine looking for someone who is atheistic, highly interested in video games, and asexual/sexually indifferent if at all possible.

• Like 1
nerdperson777

This random car conversation.

Friend: I think that girl likes me. (referring to a story she was telling)

Me: What kind of like?

Friend: Not the gay kind.

I think after spending time with mostly not hetero friends, I was kind of disappointed in this hetero friend that I couldn't make jokes.

I once had this guy come up to me when i was chilling alone at the side of a school dance. He was all "hey why dont you join me beautiful? Whats your number?" 

I honestly didnt know how to respond so without saying anything, i just get up and walk away. 

• Like 7