Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

1 hour ago, Zash said:

It has the letters 'anal' in it.  Just like "Analyze", which also makes immature people giggle.  "Assassin" is another one, because it has 'ass' in it twice.

What kind of childish people do you hang around with?

• Like 3

Even other people at my university laugh about Analysis for the same reason.

Hermit Advocate
7 hours ago, Ankh-Morpork said:

This happened at my university too. And here I though people in a 400 level religion class would have a little more maturity. 

nerdperson777
11 hours ago, Ankh-Morpork said:

Yeah, that's how I learned what a golden shower was.  We were learning about the Golden Descent method and the class was giggling about golden showers.

35 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

Yeah, that's how I learned what a golden shower was.

I only know that because of Trump.

"Golden shower" is mentioned in Bobby Brown (a Frank Zappa song), but I always thougjt that it just was a very decadent shower.

• Like 4
Space-Ace-Android

What is the meaning of 'asexy'?

I attended the Regent Park Film Festival with the Toronto group, "Queers for Dinner". We watched the indie movie, Signature Move:

A new romance with Alma, a confident Mexican-American woman, forces Zaynab, a Pakistani, Muslim lawyer, to confront her relationship with her recently widowed mother. In this coming-of-age story, Zaynab copes by taking up Lucha-style wrestling. This is a comedic and heartfelt look at modern families and the complexities of love in its many forms.

While I did find the overall movie funny, it seemed that 50-75% of the theatre LOL'ed at the comedic moments whereas, I was quietly amused for 75% of the comedic moments. A scene that I did LOL at was where Zaynab is sitting at a bar and Alma, a stranger who owns a bookstore and has a pile of books in front of her, flirts with Zaynab. Zaynab does not seem comfortable with the attention she's getting at the bar, including the drink Alma orders her. Zaynab peeks at the book on the top of the pile titled "50 ways to eat beaver" (I think it really was a survival guide type of book). She asks Alma slightly sarcastically, "You like to eat beaver?", to which Alma replies seductively, "I do eat beaver" *beat*.

I LOL'ed because Alma was SO weird and I wondered if she was drunk. Zaynab was either frowning or being sarcastic during their whole exchange (before she started drinking with Alma). The fur-trapping industry is huge part of Canadian history and I never read about settlers wanting to eat the beavers. I imagined that their meat must be dissatisfying. And telling someone not only seriously but flirtatiously that you eat beaver as if that would help you get laid was hilarious to me. 

After the movie I was talking to some of my company (I'm assuming the couple was lesbian and I don't know what the man was). We were discussing the movie and the ladies exclaimed how clever the writing was in the scene where Alma said she eats beaver and the guy agreed...then suddenly my enthusiasm dropped as I realized that they were probably talking about "beaver" as a sexual innuendo. Right...beavers eat wood. Beaver probably means vagina. Ew. In retrospect, now the scene lost its humour for me

• Like 3
On 11/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, Lotta_Biscotti said:

I had to have MRIs and get surgery for a major problem I had. I got asked so many times if I was pregnant, and they kept insisting I take a test. So eventually I defaulted to the following argument and took it with me the rest of the way. "It is literally impossible for me to be pregnant. I'm asexual (and usually I have to stop here and explain), and I'm a celibate virgin with fertility problems. You would have to believe that a supernatural being mysteriously appeared in the middle of the night, made me fertile, and then had sex with me without my consent, if you want to try and tell me I'm pregnant. There is no one on this entire planet that I've been with. Is it really necessary to waste my time, your time, and my insurance's money?" I found that they give up, and no one has been rude to me all once I explain that I'm ace and what that means. They're just like, "Wow.... oookay." I did have to sign a form at one point saying Nope, I'm Really Not Pregnant, I Promise.

I was surprised at how chill med people were on the topic once I gave them a verbal wall-of-text.

When you begin your reasoning for not possibly being pregnant with "I'm asexual", it does sound like you mean asexual reproduction than if you began your reasoning for being a celibate virgin with "I'm asexual". Especially because you usually have to stop and explain after saying that, it adds to the impression that your asexuality is part of the reason it's impossible for you to be pregnant. Though, that's how I take it in writing.

On 11/16/2017 at 5:37 PM, Warsaw said:

For women getting nails done, going to a salon and getting a very expenseive high quality haircut with colors and highlights, wearing makeup, going to dancing classes or cooking classes.  I suppose the novelty would run out fast tho.

I wholeheartedly disagree with saying dance classes are gender exclusive and somewhat (I think it would depend on whether the classes are learn to cook or advanced cooking skills: Spanish entrées and desserts) disagree with saying cooking classes are gender exclusive. I'm in a Latin dance class where salsa, chacha, rumba, bachata, and merengue are made for a male lead and female follower. Tons of males in all those reality dance shows. A lot of them must have taken classes. What classes are you thinking of?

nerdperson777
7 hours ago, Poole said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with saying dance classes are gender exclusive and somewhat (I think it would depend on whether the classes are learn to cook or advanced cooking skills: Spanish entrées and desserts) disagree with saying cooking classes are gender exclusive. I'm in a Latin dance class where salsa, chacha, rumba, bachata, and merengue are made for a male lead and female follower. Tons of males in all those reality dance shows. A lot of them must have taken classes. What classes are you thinking of?

The other day my dad was gendering sewing, saying that it was a woman's job, so he shouldn't be doing it.  But if you think about it another way, women weren't allowed to do a lot of things in ancient times so at some point, anything could be an only male professional.  Plus I rather call myself a tailor than a seamstress anyway.  At the time, he's often comparing to my mom, who is nothing like the conventional wife.  She can't sew at all.  In fact, my parents could be using this hobby to justify that I'm still a girl.  Guys can sew too??

26 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

At the time, he's often comparing to my mom, who is nothing like the conventional wife.  She can't sew at all.  In fact, my parents could be using this hobby to justify that I'm still a girl.  Guys can sew too??

Well gee, by that "logic," you could just as easily argue that your mom is really a man, since she can't sew. :lol: 

• Like 2
Lotta_Biscotti
8 hours ago, Poole said:

When you begin your reasoning for not possibly being pregnant with "I'm asexual", it does sound like you mean asexual reproduction than if you began your reasoning for being a celibate virgin with "I'm asexual". Especially because you usually have to stop and explain after saying that, it adds to the impression that your asexuality is part of the reason it's impossible for you to be pregnant. Though, that's how I take it in writing.

You're right! I should've ordered it differently. I don't think it would have saved me the explanation; people never seem to know about asexuality in the first place. For what it's worth, I was having constant muscle spasms for days on end, so while I can remember things surprisingly well, I wasn't exactly organized in my thoughts. Mostly I was thinking about what my options were if my problem could not be solved or drastically improved, or if for some reason my insurance decided that they weren't going to cover me after all (mostly paranoia).

Lotta_Biscotti

@Space-Ace-Android  I would say it's an appeal that is non-sexy in nature. I see it most often with reference to hobbies and similar skills. Like, having mad baking/cooking skills or music-making talents. You might say it of someone who makes art you really enjoy, or who is a walking encyclopedia on an interest you share. Might make a nice topic for you to bring up (as in post) to the community and get a wider weigh-in. :)

• Like 1

A lot of my family are English, and from time to time I go to England to visit them. I am not English and have never lived in England, so occasionally I make mistakes when speaking English and sometimes I won’t understand a colloquial English expression if I am not familiar with it.

I was reminded recently of a conversation that took place about fifteen years ago when I was visiting family in England, and this was before I had figured out I was ace. I am paraphrasing a bit as I don’t remember the precise words, but it went something like this:

Cousin: I like your shirt, it looks really smart.

Me: Thanks. I really like it because it is very comfortable, and I am really pleased with it. I bought it three months ago and I have not had it off since.

Cousin: (Starts laughing hysterically)

Me: What? What’s so funny?

Cousin: You said… you said… (still laughing)

Me: I said what?

Cousin: You know, have it off, that means to have sex.

Me: WHAT!? That is not what I meant! You know very well that is not what I meant!

Cousin: You are so funny!

Me: (raising my voice) That is absolutely NOT FUNNY!

It took me a rather long time (a few years in fact) to see the funny side of this.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Ortac said:

A lot of my family are English, and from time to time I go to England to visit them. I am not English and have never lived in England, so occasionally I make mistakes when speaking English and sometimes I won’t understand a colloquial English expression if I am not familiar with it.

I was reminded recently of a conversation that took place about fifteen years ago when I was visiting family in England, and this was before I had figured out I was ace. I am paraphrasing a bit as I don’t remember the precise words, but it went something like this:

Cousin: I like your shirt, it looks really smart.

Me: Thanks. I really like it because it is very comfortable, and I am really pleased with it. I bought it three months ago and I have not had it off since.

Cousin: (Starts laughing hysterically)

Me: What? What’s so funny?

Cousin: You said… you said… (still laughing)

Me: I said what?

Cousin: You know, have it off, that means to have sex.

Me: WHAT!? That is not what I meant! You know very well that is not what I meant!

Cousin: You are so funny!

Me: (raising my voice) That is absolutely NOT FUNNY!

It took me a rather long time (a few years in fact) to see the funny side of this.

As an English person I apologize for the many double untundres in our speaking. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ortac said:

:lol: 

I'm sorry, but that is a little funny! Languages are full of little pitfalls like that.

Cake for you :cake:  :) 

nerdperson777
19 hours ago, Planet Ace said:

Well gee, by that "logic," you could just as easily argue that your mom is really a man, since she can't sew. :lol: 

He also saw two guys hugging and told me they were gay.  I'm pretty sure my dad has hugged guys before, so that would make him gay.

• Like 3
On 11/21/2017 at 9:12 PM, Poole said:

It's not that I think they are gender exclusive, I simply can't take up any more activities that might make my friends and family question my masculinity any more than they already do.  So stuff like dancing is off limits.  If I did the clandestine effort to keep those activities secret is actually quite difficult for me.  I'm not androginous in any way, outwardly I'm very masculine and wouldn't fit in those activities anyways.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:14 AM, Warsaw said:

It's not that I think they are gender exclusive, I simply can't take up any more activities that might make my friends and family question my masculinity any more than they already do.  So stuff like dancing is off limits.  If I did the clandestine effort to keep those activities secret is actually quite difficult for me.  I'm not androginous in any way, outwardly I'm very masculine and wouldn't fit in those activities anyways.

What?  Going to a class filled with women to get hot and sweaty with them is not manly?  :P

Dancing is usually a paired activity, so, if you are learning to dance, it is just another way to sweep women off their feet.  I am not saying this is why you are doing it, but, it is a reason you can give people if you don't want to tell them the real reason.

• Like 5
On 11/19/2017 at 11:10 PM, Kereth said:

ace moment: not realizing that the phrase "a twinkle in his daddy's eye" was an innuendo until i was, like, 18

bonus: mentioning to my father that it was an ace moment and having him say "nah, it's an asperger's thing"

The Family Guy episode where that expression is used (but I didn't realize it was an expression) now has more meaning to me--that's delightful. I personally wouldn't call this a sexual innuendo since it seems that the main message is preconception (in both meanings of the word :P) and the secondary message is sex and/or romantic feelings leads to that. I think innuendos directly suggest sex while this expression seems more indirect. IDK

Last night I gave a girl a complement about her weight loss, and she took it as me coming on to her.  I told her that her face looked thinner, and she tried to get me to complement her butt, and I went from friendly to robot instantly.

• Like 8
On 11/19/2017 at 3:19 AM, Iced Milk Boy said:

1. Cry happily over finallybeing a physical male.

Kinda overrated, in my family I am supposed to be the kind and wise patriarch provider.

Hygenically it's pretty nice in the fact that it's easier to stay clean.

As far as unwanted advances go, just grow a beard, and you basically become invisable.  Really nice.

nerdperson777

The previous week, my friend had set up an event at the local university LGBT center to remember our friend who died two weeks before.  Our friend liked board games so we tried to do some of that.  (I say try because we ended up mostly chatting.)  Then we decided to talk about our favorite moments with her.  I mentioned that I was the perfect shopping buddy.  I held her stuff while she was shopping and would even find some good stuff that fit her style.  Someone said, "so YOU'RE the boyfriend" and we laughed.  The friend who organized said ace friend but was her words were probably lost in all the laughter.

There is a guy at my school who sometimes wears a sweater in black-grey-white-purple stripes. Now I'm dying from curiosity if he's ace, or just likes those colours. 

• Like 6

I guess you could count the fact that I now have an ace friend as an incredibly ace moment, due to the high volume of ace present :P

• Like 1
Toothpaste Fairy

Laughing way too hard at the notion my friend had been teased about having a crush on someone when she said she didn’t. 

Only for the two to start dating not a week later. Facepalms

• Like 2

When a topic suddenly shifts to exes and one night stands and you're left wondering how and realize "Yes, other people do that kind of stuff, remember?", which is a small "shock" because you had an exhausting day and forgot to take this factor into account.

Then you sit there awkardly not knowing what to say and just blurt out a "Not my thing" to avoid awkward silence.

• Like 9

On 11/21/2017 at 6:39 AM, Space-Ace-Android said:

What is the meaning of 'asexy'?

As far as I know it's like sexy but with a more asexual connotation??

On 11/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, Poole said:

The Family Guy episode where that expression is used (but I didn't realize it was an expression) now has more meaning to me--that's delightful. I personally wouldn't call this a sexual innuendo since it seems that the main message is preconception (in both meanings of the word :P) and the secondary message is sex and/or romantic feelings leads to that. I think innuendos directly suggest sex while this expression seems more indirect. IDK

idk i thought the idea was that their parents were about to have sex?? i mean you're right, it doesn't directly pertain to sex, but i guess i assumed it was meant to be on the sexier side of things