Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Several years ago at an outdoor festival:

Mom: Those cute guys back there are eyeing you (*in that voice people get when they want to pair you with someone)
Me: Ok (*continues walking on)

Mom: Why didn't you smile at them or something?

Me: I didn't see them. And randomly smiling at someone like that would be so weird. What's the point?

Mom: So you can meet someone...

Me: ...meet them with my mom?

Mom: They were interested. We walked right past them and you didn't notice them!? 

Me: There's a lot of people here. I can't see everything

Mom: You walked right past them

Me: So what? You think I'm going to run off with one and marry him and have a grandbaby for you or something after I smile creepily at him?

Mom: You could try more...

Me: *rolls eyes* *points to food stands* Do you want to get some ice cream?

**About a year later at some holiday family gathering:
Mom to Aunt: She'll walk right past cute boys that are smiling at her and she doesn't even notice them!

Me: *rolls eyes* Anyone want some ice cream?

• Like 19
5 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

Mom: Those cute guys back there are eyeing you (*in that voice people get when they want to pair you with someone)

Me: I didn't see them. And randomly smiling at someone like that would be so weird. What's the point?

Mom: They were interested. We walked right past them and you didn't notice them!? 

Me: So what? You think I'm going to run off with one and marry him and have a grandbaby for you or something after I smile creepily at him?

Mom to Aunt: She'll walk right past cute boys that are smiling at her and she doesn't even notice them!

I'm at the point where my family and friends have given up using "the voice people get when they want to pair you with someone" on me lol. Just keep on talking about ice cream for a few more years 👍

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

I'm laughing because this used to happen to me! My mom never tried to pair me up with anyone, but she would point out when guys were staring.

She tried to tease me the other night about some guy flexing and the first thing out of my mouth was, "What? I only saw one muscle tissue fibre". And it got dead quiet for a while until she finally said, "...I was just messing with you..." as if she expected another response and I had killed it. Then it clicked that she was trying to make it sound like he was being sexy and I totally missed it. /whoosh/ lmao.

• Like 7

I just went through some old conversations on my phone. There was this time when I was in a really big group chat, I don't even know the vast majority of people there. We were joking around a bit and I somehow got "engaged" to a boy there. He later on started saying stuff like "but seriously I do think you're pretty" and even started writing private messages to me AND WAS SO OBVIOUSLY FLIRTING and I literally never realized I just thought it was a part of the we're-engaged-game oml. 

• Like 5
Cassie Camille
On 12/4/2008 at 9:27 PM, BalladOfJayne said:

I'm forever getting strange looks from people when I try to convert them to the show because the pitch always goes like this, "Two good-looking brothers fight demon crime blah blah blah THEY DRIVE THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD." 

Yes! This is exactly how I describe Supernatural to my friends that don't watch it! I notice and appreciate their aesthetically pleasing good looks as well!

• Like 1

An ace moment for me was about a few years ago. I used to bump into this one guy in the library. I thought he was just being friendly so I didn't think too much of his intentions at first. we hung out once and While I was setting up my laptop, he started putting his hands on my shoulders. I've never been around a touchy feely guy before so the gesture just felt awkward to me. 😐 and he bragged about how he got lucky with a girl in the past at one point. I wondered why he was bringing that up. Lol I guess that was his way of trying to impress me but I didn't get the message. Either way I never saw him again. Xp

• Like 4
Cassie Camille

I had a moment in college my freshman year we were all down hanging out and somehow the topic of pajamas came up this one guy, who I now realize was flirting with me, asked what I wore to bed and I answered with a comment about my very comfy plaid nightgown which goes like, to the floor and is super thick. And he then drops his voice and says "What about if you're not alone?" and I don't get what he meant so I said "That's some Criminal Minds shit! Don't jinx me man!" My roommate thought it was hilarious!

• Like 11
SarahSomeone

Last year I went to a friends birthday party and somehow the topic came to everyone’s favourite fruit. One guy asked what everyone thought about bananas and me, being a baker who knows that bananas can be used in place of eggs as well as very helpful in general when baking, said that they were pretty versatile. Everyone mostly missed me saying that but the one guy proceeded to ask everyone what they thought about my comment 😂. Everyone else thought of it in a dirty way and I was once again called “so innocent” 😅

On 4/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, Emi68912706 said:

I have never understood why people feel the need to fill the silence. If I don't have something to add to a conversation, I'm not going to speak up. 

Also same, I’m not a talkative person and I enjoy listening more than talking. But whenever I have to do a group project no one steps up so I turn into some talkative person I don’t even know so that the project gets done...

• Like 6
3 hours ago, KenshoBT21 said:

An ace moment for me was about a few years ago. I used to bump into this one guy in the library. I thought he was just being friendly so I didn't think too much of his intentions at first. we hung out once and While I was setting up my laptop, he started putting his hands on my shoulders. I've never been around a touchy feely guy before so the gesture just felt awkward to me. 😐 and he bragged about how he got lucky with a girl in the past at one point. I wondered why he was bringing that up. Lol I guess that was his way of trying to impress me but I didn't get the message. Either way I never saw him again. Xp

That just sounds creepy in my books whether or not I'm asexual!

• Like 7
SarahintheCloset

When I was younger, I climbed a tree in the middle of the woods and pledged myself to Artemis, the maiden goddess of the hunt, moon, etc. in Greek Mythology. Now, I thought the archery and lunar parts were pretty cool, but what I liked best was the idea that no one could force (yes, force, I honestly thought that once I reached a certain age that my parents would tell me 'welp, it's your birthday, time to get married now' and I'd be married off to some random guy) me to get married if I told them that I'd already promised Artemis that relationships were out of the picture. ...I was kinda a strange kid.

Also, it took me until 6th grade to realize sex was a thing, and what made the babies (I thought it was the kiss at the wedding until then), and that was only from overhearing what I considered to be very strange conversations in the middle school hallways (they haunt me to this day, even though I'm still very confused on various specifics I remember).

• Like 11

Recently I was chatting with a bunch of my track teammates before practice and we were over by the weight room because that's where the coaches tend to be, and a bunch of the girls were looking at the guys in there and going "Wow look at all those muscles😏 " And then my response was, "Yeah! Imagine how much work they've put in to get to that point!" and everyone just kinda stared at me like "Huh??" and then it registered with me that they thought it was sexy

• Like 9
1 hour ago, will123 said:

That just sounds creepy in my books whether or not I'm asexual!

Yeah 😅  Guys hardly ever notice me because I'm so quiet and the few that do talk to me get super touchy. I don't mind as long as it's a hug. 

• Like 4

Growing up I up I was fairly quiet and at times people would say I was introverted. In my adult years I became more talkative, but I'd never try to chat up a girl. Now if it was a female (especially a friend's girlfriend or wife) I had no problem talking to them, even if I didn't know them that well. Go figure.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, SarahintheCloset said:

When I was younger, I climbed a tree in the middle of the woods and pledged myself to Artemis, the maiden goddess of the hunt, moon, etc. in Greek Mythology. Now, I thought the archery and lunar parts were pretty cool, but what I liked best was the idea that no one could force (yes, force, I honestly thought that once I reached a certain age that my parents would tell me 'welp, it's your birthday, time to get married now' and I'd be married off to some random guy) me to get married if I told them that I'd already promised Artemis that relationships were out of the picture. ...I was kinda a strange kid.

I was like this too!  At a certain age (maybe 7-8), I was convinced that marriage was mandatory and I got really worried about who I was going to have to marry.  

Simultaneously, I didn't understand romantic feelings/attraction at all, much less sexual attraction.  

My understanding was that at some point, you had to choose someone close to your age of the opposite gender to stay with for the rest of your life.  

Naturally, being the very shy and logical kid that I was, I figured that I'd better choose someone soon, and it should be someone that I know I get along with and have already lived with for my entire life!  So I, uh... said I was going to marry my brother.  

People were quick to correct me.  I still didn't get why for way too long.  

That was the biggest ace (well, aro) moment of my life.  Aaaaaa.  :wacko:

• Like 13
SarahintheCloset
4 minutes ago, iyote said:

I was like this too!  At a certain age (maybe 7-8), I was convinced that marriage was mandatory and I got really worried about who I was going to have to marry.  

Simultaneously, I didn't understand romantic feelings/attraction at all, much less sexual attraction.  

My understanding was that at some point, you had to choose someone close to your age of the opposite gender to stay with for the rest of your life.  

Naturally, being the very shy and logical kid that I was, I figured that I'd better choose someone soon, and it should be someone that I know I get along with and have already lived with for my entire life!  So I, uh... said I was going to marry my brother.  

I never really picked anyone to be my mandatory spouse, I didn't think nearly that far in advance. Little me didn't really plan well, but if I had, I probably would've chosen one of my siblings too. I mean, it makes sense, from the explanations of marriage adults give you as a child. Pick someone you love very much that you want to spend the rest of your life with. Sounds like a sibling to me (assuming you have a good relationship with your sibling(s))!

• Like 8
20 hours ago, SmallBean said:

Recently I was chatting with a bunch of my track teammates before practice and we were over by the weight room because that's where the coaches tend to be, and a bunch of the girls were looking at the guys in there and going "Wow look at all those muscles😏 " And then my response was, "Yeah! Imagine how much work they've put in to get to that point!" and everyone just kinda stared at me like "Huh??" and then it registered with me that they thought it was sexy

On the opposite end, in high school, guys would admire the girls when they stretched or swam and stuff. Then there’d be me staring off at a cloud thinking about how to perfect my paper dagger/kunai design 🤔 or whirling around like a pinwheel underwater during the swimming section. I only really glanced over when someone did something really impressive like a crazy series of flips. I still don’t understand how some girls did a bunch of handsprings and flips so casually 😯.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, SarahSomeone said:

Everyone mostly missed me saying that but the one guy proceeded to ask everyone what they thought about my comment 😂. Everyone else thought of it in a dirty way and I was once again called “so innocent” 😅

It can be even worse if someone interprets your non-dirty comment in a dirty way than if you miss someone else's dirty comment. In the worst case you have to figure out how you assure everyone you didn't mean it a dirty way... which is practically impossible if everyone else are allosexual x3

I once had this happening when I messaged with a guy I thought was just an online friend. He started to interpret things I said in a dirty way (probably because of he just wished so much it would be that way). To the point it seemed absurd and ridiculous to me. Unfortunately I had no other choice in the end than stop keeping any contact with him, because of nothing I said would make him believe I didn't want to be in a serious sexual relationship with him, he just thought I was teasing him. It was awkward and irritating and disgusting and sad all at the same time. I'm just reliefed it didn't happen irl.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, SarahintheCloset said:

Also, it took me until 6th grade to realize sex was a thing, and what made the babies (I thought it was the kiss at the wedding until then), and that was only from overhearing what I considered to be very strange conversations in the middle school hallways (they haunt me to this day, even though I'm still very confused on various specifics I remember).

3 hours ago, iyote said:

I'm sure a lot of ace kids have experienced stress like this. Even if kids aren't sexual in the adult way, I can remember how my peers had strange urges I didn't have. My peer female friends had obsession to romantic images of falling in love, bounding with someone , getting married, having a family etc., and I just never got that (needless to say, I sucked at playing with dolls and playing the house and stuff)... while my peer male friends loudly declared they hate girls and everything related to them, yet still had that strange urge to tease girls all the time. None of that made sense to me, and I remember realizing that in a very young age.

As a kid, I also viewed marriage as one of the compulsory duties you have to do as an adult. When I got to my teens and was supposed to start getting crushes, I was nearly "anti-checking" guys. While my peer female friends talked about who they liked the most, I was thinking who I disliked the least and could stand in a (sexual) relationship. I used to panic while thinking about dating and I tried to assure myself that there's something good on every guy and I don't have to worry. I really wish I'd known at that time that dating and relationships aren't compulsory 😕

• Like 10
Anthracite_Impreza

I also worried it was compulsary to find a partner, marry and have kids, and that I was going to be forced into it. I was incredibly stubborn even back then though, so I made plans for running away if anyone ever tried.

• Like 7

My friend used to send me hentai pics of random anime girls. I'm no stranger to racy fanart now and then but he really went all out to share the most graphic content that I eventually had to tell him to stop. I said it jokingly like, "I can't handle that much all at once." He's a lot more sexually charged than I am and for the most part, I took his extreme nature with a grain of salt. But while he's in the mood all the time to look at this stuff, I'd rather just change the subject. : P lol 

• Like 3
nerdperson777
On 4/19/2019 at 10:50 PM, naakka said:

That's actually a great way to explain asexuality with a metaphor x'D

I just say that everyone has cooties.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:09 PM, Firefly8 said:

There was a time during my college freshman year that my friends and I went to a Jamba Juice at school.  When I had decided what to order and went to the cashier, they said that there was a guy in the back that wanted to buy me my drink.  I decided that I would pay for my own drink because I didn't know who this guy was.  I think most allo people would find this a stupid reason.  Plus I don't feel that comfortable talking with random people so I probably dodged a bullet there.

I have more ace moments with my roommates.  One night I just came back.  They were watching a movie on the computer together.  I guess they paused the movie while I came in because the lights were off and there were lights outside blinding the screen.  They just happened to pause it right during some weird scene with some girl biting someone's finger.  "It's not porn, I swear."  I took their word for it.  A few minutes later, I put my stuff down and came back out to the living room.  I thought I could join them for their movie.  The girl says, "just to warn you, there's quite a bit of sex."  Without a word, I walked back into my room and closed the door.

Then another time the first roommate said that they might be allergic to peanuts.  The girl thought they said penis.  (The two upgraded their fake relationship to a real one that could include sex so there may be more sexual jokes now.)  I didn't hear that part so I thought nuts was just another term for it.  So I guess we got to the same conclusion through a different route.

Earlier today, I heard "when you watch dirty things, I can tell."  I was surprised by my roommates' words.  I let them continue speaking and it turned out they said wash instead of watch.  They were saying that I didn't clean the dishes clean enough.  I think there were way better words than "dirty things" to describe this.

• Like 7

My friend wanted to watch Rango with me. I was cool with the idea since I hadn't seen it since the theaters. We watched it on his laptop. During the movie, I noticed he was sitting a little close to me but I figured he just wanted to see the movie better so I didn't think too much of it. Later on, he admitted he was attempting a Netflix and Chill with me. 😅 I was totally clueless lol I thought we were just going to watch the movie.

• Like 6

I saw this on another forum. It took some time for me to realize what it actually implied. Before that I just thought of the CB radio craze and threw together a bad parody of Convoy in response.

Radio monitors go back to at least the 30's & I think Zenith called them
radio nurses. Trouble is most people put the babies crib in there bedroom.
In the 70's baby monitor listening became a very popular hobby. I think
you could imagine the content.

Also, I was once told that when I was a kid, the walkies me and another boy had would pick up radio communications from a nearby courier service.

Custard Cream
On 12/5/2008 at 7:36 PM, Amcan said:

I find I;m actually the one to think of the dirty stuff....

Will they take my badge away?

Although occassionally I think pussy always means a cat.

Your ace badge will be confiscated if you continue to be dirty 😂

Yesterday my colleague and I were discussing odd ideas. He was talking about converting a stress ball into a lamp. I said 'yes, you could squeeze the ball to turn it on.' He just nodded and said 'You're thinking along the same lines as me.'

I only started blushing 10 minutes ago...

• Like 6
Celyn: The Lutening
4 hours ago, Jon A. said:

Trouble is most people put the babies crib in there bedroom.
In the 70's baby monitor listening became a very popular hobby. I think
you could imagine the content.

Doesn't the one that goes in the parents room only recieve though? They're not the same as walkie talkies.

(Based on this reasoning I'm imagining the pervs being frustrated by only getting silence with the occasional baby squeak or crying, which is amusing)

• Like 1
mistyyy_dayyy

Pet Semetery is a horrifying movie with an insane amount of jump scares and gore(it was great). despite all that the only part i closed my eyes for was when they *almost* had sex. i had to physically turn around for that part. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Celyn said:

Doesn't the one that goes in the parents room only recieve though? They're not the same as walkie talkies.

(Based on this reasoning I'm imagining the pervs being frustrated by only getting silence with the occasional baby squeak or crying, which is amusing)

As far as I know, yes. In those cases though a receiver in the bedroom would be redundant. I'm guessing that some placed it elsewhere in the home for daytime use, and then forgot to turn off the transmitter at night. 🤔