Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

20 hours ago, Strawberry ice cream said:

Even well meaning nice compliment about my sexual attraction is for me very uncomfortable...like What are you talking about ?? I have zero sexual attraction! Can't you see it?

Yeah I can relate, like people would ask me, what if I had a date (or worse, PROM conversations that just mostly talk about dating or going out with people, which I think is sad, because I feel lonely afterwards but then there are nice people who remind me that I don't have to have a date, and I can just go with some friends) and I'd be like "umm, well, you see, I'm not interested in dating, like why are you asking me? I'm not interested in dating...asked the wrong person lol XD " or people who are dating talking to me (idk why me specifically but ok...) about their date life and I shrug my shoulders like "umm...I don't have that attraction, like I don't really relate nor do that..." and again I'd think "yup, they're definitely asking the wrong person lol" 

Also, I've been having issues saying to people that I'm ace/aro and when people mention that I would just say "yeah..." and be quiet and not say a word afterwards.

I've been feeling rather shy as well, and I've been conflicted whether I should tell my friends that I'm ace/aro or not.

So yeah, that being said, I can relate.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

So on this student's second attempt, she stopped and said, "WHY IS THIS BUTT SO BIG??"  I started laughing.  She didn't understand why I was laughing.  She thought that I was being impatient about her trying to choose another staff.  No, I'm laughing because of this question that she asked really loudly.  She's 14 years old and did not notice.  Upon telling my dad when I got home, he thought that she should get these jokes.  If she ends up being ace, I'll be reminded of this instance.

That would 100% be me. I'm fourteen too.

Last summer, one of my cousins was throwing a bunch of bouncy balls we had in the back of the car at me. This is the conversation with another one of my cousins.

Me: Mom, Gabe's throwing balls at me!

My cousin looks at me funny. 30 seconds later..

Me: Ohhhh, that sounded really weird, didn't it?

Her: Yeah it did.

The funny part is, she's a year younger than me.

• Like 3
nerdperson777
8 hours ago, squaggly said:

@nerdperson777 I teach martial arts too!!!

Yay!  But it's only 3 hours a week for me.  Technically that student is also a coach.  I believe there's some labor law that says that we have to be at least 14 years old to teach and since we have many classes geared towards kids, there tends to be kids that want to become coaches.  Quite a few of the coaches got officially hired on their 14th birthday.  This girl likes teaching kids while I like teaching martial arts, since I learned competitively in college.  Since she tends to be silly a lot of the time, she doesn't seem to get any respect from the students in the classes she takes as a student.  She also did the form she created herself, made a few years ago.  There was a part of her paper that said "chop fish" instead of fist.  I don't really get her really.  She's been here since she was one of those small kids, yet she's not flexible nor good at martial arts.  I've advanced way farther within a few years.

4 hours ago, Tiggidou said:

Yeah I can relate, like people would ask me, what if I had a date (or worse, PROM conversations that just mostly talk about dating or going out with people, which I think is sad, because I feel lonely afterwards but then there are nice people who remind me that I don't have to have a date, and I can just go with some friends) and I'd be like "umm, well, you see, I'm not interested in dating, like why are you asking me? I'm not interested in dating...asked the wrong person lol XD " or people who are dating talking to me (idk why me specifically but ok...) about their date life and I shrug my shoulders like "umm...I don't have that attraction, like I don't really relate nor do that..." and again I'd think "yup, they're definitely asking the wrong person lol" 

Also, I've been having issues saying to people that I'm ace/aro and when people mention that I would just say "yeah..." and be quiet and not say a word afterwards.

I've had someone tell me about a long distance "sweetheart" and a few details about how they will get married.  I had pretty much a blank expression so they knew not to talk to me about that anymore.  :lol:

PixleyDust✨
22 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

If she ends up being ace, I'll be reminded of this instance.

Anyone else kind of hoping she will be?

We HAVE to watch out for this girl.

That way, when she arrives, we can tell her that her arrival has been foretold by the AVEN ancients...or something. 

Keep us posted, @nerdperson777. 🤣

• Like 7
PixleyDust✨
16 hours ago, Planet Ace said:

@nerdperson777 I would have laughed too. Like, rolling on the floor, laughing way too hard at that poor little 14 yo kid. That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while! :lol:

I was laughing out loud just reading it. What can you say? Butts are funny. 😆

• Like 1
nerdperson777
2 hours ago, Pixley said:

Anyone else kind of hoping she will be?

We HAVE to watch out for this girl.

That way, when she arrives, we can tell her that her arrival has been foretold by the AVEN ancients...or something. 

Keep us posted, @nerdperson777. 🤣

Well, I'm not sure if we'd ever be close enough that she'd reveal her sexuality to me.  But she's seen my "wear this shirt if you're openly [a bunch of LGBTQIA+ terms] or you really love cats" shirt so she might?  Idk.  I didn't believe her when she didn't know what a lesbian was.  Pansexual, yes, but lesbian?  That's almost common knowledge.  Her good friend, also a coach, is a trans boy so she should at least know what trans is.  Not sure if she knows I'm trans.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Well, I'm not sure if we'd ever be close enough that she'd reveal her sexuality to me.  But she's seen my "wear this shirt if you're openly [a bunch of LGBTQIA+ terms] or you really love cats" shirt so she might?  Idk.  I didn't believe her when she didn't know what a lesbian was.  Pansexual, yes, but lesbian?  That's almost common knowledge.  Her good friend, also a coach, is a trans boy so she should at least know what trans is.  Not sure if she knows I'm trans.

I think lesbian and gay are commonly used for the same thing. She probably thought gay applied to either gender, just like some people at my middle school did.

Neutral nerd

It's not really an ace moment, but in elementary school I didn't know about sex and thought that marriage was just something people did. So there was this dude who I just had this thought about, Oh he'd be a good husband. He literally lived down the street from me. So fast forwards to middle school, and we were in pe together and this guys friend was pissed off at me and said "you've had a crush on him since 2nd grade!"  I just kinda gave him a weird look. It was my first and last "crush". The desire for romance shall forever be foreign to me U-U. 

• Like 3
nerdperson777

Kinda wondering.  I'm ace, aro, a-aesthetic, demi- for almost everything else.  I don't even feel a familial sense with the ones related to me.  Am I the kind of person who would be absolutely doomed at sales jobs because I wouldn't have any attraction experience to make me sell anything?  Sales could involve getting chummy with the customers to make them buy.  Can't do that.  Figure out what they like and relate it to what I'm selling.  Nope.  Should I just never do a sales job?  Not that I would need to but, that came to mind.

AHandfulofAces

Hahahaha! So many moments...

In elementary school:

I got a boy in trouble for calling me his girlfriend because I was not interested in him and felt like he was harassing me. I was assigned to tutor a boy in my class who had a crush on me. He expressed his undying love, and I told him to open his book to the correct chapter so we could get started. Everyone played kissing tag. I kicked anyone who dared try any of that nonsense with me.

In Middle School:

My friends called me "the best third wheel" and I was the go to person when a breakup happened. I didn't like school dances, and couldn't understand why my friend was obsessed with calling this boy and leaving notes in his locker.

In High School:

Some very nasty, hurtful rumors about me being a lesbian began to spread. A game of truth or dare led to what should have been my first makeout with my first boyfriend. We were supposed to kiss for a minute. I stopped after a couple seconds because it was gross. Another game of brutally honest (truth and dare without the dare) led to my classmates asking me what the most erotic dream I'd had was. I told them I had a dream about my boyfriend kissing me on the nose. They were very disappointed. I wanted to go to Prom by myself (or with my cardboard cutout of Legolas because it would be hilarious)

In college:

I told my second boyfriend, almost fiance, I did not want to have sex the night of our honeymoon. I'd rather play Uno and laugh at all the schmucks who think they know what's going on. I froze up when he kissed me for the first time, and while it was emotionally amazing, I was still grossed out. Eventually, one of my college friends and my first boyfriend from high school (now my ex) asked if I was asexual in the same week, due to my responses to sexual situations and conversation. I looked it up and knew I'd finally found what made me different. Everything finally made sense. 

• Like 12
54 minutes ago, AHandfulofAces said:

I wanted to go to Prom by myself (or with my cardboard cutout of Legolas because it would be hilarious)

I have to go to a JROTC military ball, and I'm going to bring a Harry Potter book as my date. And possibly other books. This is how I will say hi:

Me: Hello. This is my date Harry. *holds up Harry Potter book* This is Harry's friend  J. *holds up The Hobbit* This is J's date Alex. *holds up another book* Everyone say hi!

How I love my eccentricities. And I'm only 14. XD

• Like 7
PixleyDust✨
1 hour ago, AHandfulofAces said:

Hahahaha! So many moments...

In elementary school:

I got a boy in trouble for calling me his girlfriend because I was not interested in him and felt like he was harassing me. I was assigned to tutor a boy in my class who had a crush on me. He expressed his undying love, and I told him to open his book to the correct chapter so we could get started. Everyone played kissing tag. I kicked anyone who dared try any of that nonsense with me.

In Middle School:

My friends called me "the best third wheel" and I was the go to person when a breakup happened. I didn't like school dances, and couldn't understand why my friend was obsessed with calling this boy and leaving notes in his locker.

In High School:

Some very nasty, hurtful rumors about me being a lesbian began to spread. A game of truth or dare led to what should have been my first makeout with my first boyfriend. We were supposed to kiss for a minute. I stopped after a couple seconds because it was gross. Another game of brutally honest (truth and dare without the dare) led to my classmates asking me what the most erotic dream I'd had was. I told them I had a dream about my boyfriend kissing me on the nose. They were very disappointed. I wanted to go to Prom by myself (or with my cardboard cutout of Legolas because it would be hilarious)

In college:

I told my second boyfriend, almost fiance, I did not want to have sex the night of our honeymoon. I'd rather play Uno and laugh at all the schmucks who think they know what's going on. I froze up when he kissed me for the first time, and while it was emotionally amazing, I was still grossed out. Eventually, one of my college friends and my first boyfriend from high school (now my ex) asked if I was asexual in the same week, due to my responses to sexual situations and conversation. I looked it up and knew I'd finally found what made me different. Everything finally made sense. 

I. LOVE. ALL OF THIS. SO MUCH. 💕

The elementary school phase was my favorite,

though. 🤣

• Like 2
PixleyDust✨
6 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Kinda wondering.  I'm ace, aro, a-aesthetic, demi- for almost everything else.  I don't even feel a familial sense with the ones related to me.  Am I the kind of person who would be absolutely doomed at sales jobs because I wouldn't have any attraction experience to make me sell anything?  Sales could involve getting chummy with the customers to make them buy.  Can't do that.  Figure out what they like and relate it to what I'm selling.  Nope.  Should I just never do a sales job?  Not that I would need to but, that came to mind.

Well, I’ve worked in food service and retail (where sales/customer service is king) as a socially phobic aro/ace, so no I don’t think you need to feel attraction to be good in sales (THANK  GOD). 🤣

Just do what I do (if you ever have to be in sales for some reason): Fake it. 😆

But I know what you mean; it makes you feel weird knowing that one of the most universal and instantaneous ways to relate to another person is something you’re just not capable of. 

• Like 2
MajesticDragon
On 12/6/2008 at 10:14 PM, zoidberger said:

ugh I hate the never have I ever game as well... also the truth or dare. It sucks because everyone judges completely during those and I always hoped that I wouldn't get asked to say or do something crazy.

My first kiss came off a dare by one of my best friends and I still hold it against them :P

I liked the jenIga truth or dare... the worst that could happen was that you had to dance with a mop or something

I hate truth or dare I always get asked who was my first crush or who I am currently crushing on. When I tell them that I have never had a crush everyone thinks I'm lying

• Like 3
AHandfulofAces
1 hour ago, imahappynothing said:

I have to go to a JROTC military ball, and I'm going to bring a Harry Potter book as my date. And possibly other books. This is how I will say hi:

Me: Hello. This is my date Harry. *holds up Harry Potter book* This is Harry's friend  J. *holds up The Hobbit* This is J's date Alex. *holds up another book* Everyone say hi!

How I love my eccentricities. And I'm only 14. XD

Yes! You do you! Unfortunately for me, a guy asked me a few days before the dance. He had sworn off ever asking girls after the last girl he'd asked told him no, and I didn't want to be the second girl in a row to turn him down. We had fun, but I often wonder what it would have been like if I'd stuck to my plan. Probably less drama. :) I hope you have tons of fun!

• Like 2

In elementary school, I was too busy trying to make the ultimate paper airplane to be interested in puppy love. My school was on a HUGE hill, so all I cared about was making a plane that could fly ALL the way down. I had a dream, and I’d be darned if I let something like a crush distract me from my destiny! 😇

Also, the only dances I went to were the ones that were unavoidable like for graduation (cause we’d come back to the school after a trip and it’d begin immediately). For one, a friend and I decided glow sticks were exponentially more entertaining and interesting than dancing or trying to pick up girls. 

• Like 8
nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Pixley said:

Well, I’ve worked in food service and retail (where sales/customer service is king) as a socially phobic aro/ace, so no I don’t think you need to feel attraction to be good in sales (THANK  GOD). 🤣

Just do what I do (if you ever have to be in sales for some reason): Fake it. 😆

But I know what you mean; it makes you feel weird knowing that one of the most universal and instantaneous ways to relate to another person is something you’re just not capable of. 

That's my other issue.  I'm bad at faking.  Even with a minor in acting, I still can't act.  It probably has everything to do with my childhood and being taught to be serious all the time.  I really wasn't allowed to joke about anything so I've never really tried anything out of my comfort zone until college.  Well, I tried out for a sports team in high school as a nerd with no physical prowess.  That was a fail.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Laplace said:

In elementary school, I was too busy trying to make the ultimate paper airplane to be interested in puppy love. My school was on a HUGE hill, so all I cared about was making a plane that could fly ALL the way down. I had a dream, and I’d be darned if I let something like a crush distract me from my destiny! 😇

It never really occurred to me that people normally have crushes in elementary school. 

• Like 4
Somebodysomeone

someone said thats what she said.  I told him I didn't know what he meant everbody laught at me.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know either.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Laplace said:

Did you ever succeed?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Andiamo said:

Did you ever succeed?

Lol I actually did eventually 😆; I had a design I had created that was fairly compact but had relatively large wings. I had to do some extra folds and stuff on the wings until I threw it just right one day and it eventually made its way from the school down past three levels of playgrounds down to the lowest field. The main thing was making it fly straight without dipping or swooping so it had a clear shot to the bottom. The slope was off-limits too so there was probably a dozen or so planes dotting the cliff cause one of my friends also made planes.

I think the most bizarre and spooky plane we made was just two planes stapled together. We threw it at a line of people and it zig-zagged between like 4 of them. I swear that plane had a mind of its own cause it’d often swerve away from people even if it was thrown directly at them 👻.

• Like 5
PixleyDust✨
On 3/21/2018 at 12:36 AM, imahappynothing said:

It never really occurred to me that people normally have crushes in elementary school. 

They do, cause I remember my classmates in 5th or 6th grade discussing it.

Cue me saying: “But we’re too young to be dating.” 🤣

#firstacemoment #originstory 

• Like 8
Ms. Carolynne

@Pixley Ha, me too.

I remember kids dating and stuff in elementary as well, and I thought the same thing.

Guess that's another ace flag from the past, lol.

• Like 2
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, Laplace said:

Lol I actually did eventually 😆; I had a design I had created that was fairly compact but had relatively large wings. I had to do some extra folds and stuff on the wings until I threw it just right one day and it eventually made its way from the school down past three levels of playgrounds down to the lowest field. The main thing was making it fly straight without dipping or swooping so it had a clear shot to the bottom. The slope was off-limits too so there was probably a dozen or so planes dotting the cliff cause one of my friends also made planes.

I think the most bizarre and spooky plane we made was just two planes stapled together. We threw it at a line of people and it zig-zagged between like 4 of them. I swear that plane had a mind of its own cause it’d often swerve away from people even if it was thrown directly at them 👻.

congratulations!!

• Like 5
nerdperson777
5 hours ago, G1P0 said:

@Pixley Ha, me too.

I remember kids dating and stuff in elementary as well, and I thought the same thing.

Guess that's another ace flag from the past, lol.

I thought about a physical flag...and then I realized.

• Like 2
WoodwindWhistler

Sort-of spoiler alert for A Wrinkle in Time . . .?

My sibling, mother and I were watching the movie. At the second emotional climax where the mother is tearfully re-united with her husband that has been stuck in some sort of dimensional wormhole cage thing. They are looking into each others' eyes in disbelief and drawing their heads closer and closer together . . .

My mom leans over and says behind her hand, "Hi, I just got back and I haven't brushed my teeth in four years"

I laughed so hard I had to cover my mouth to stifle myself. 

Looking more and more like I come by my aromanticism honestly. 

• Like 14
On 10/14/2013 at 9:00 AM, entirelyunliketea said:

Had a couple ace moments this past Friday when a group of acquaintance-friends invited me over for a girls' night.

We were all talking about what we'd do if we woke up as a man and most of them said they'd probably go have sex with someone and I said I'd probably go buy pants with pockets. They were baffled.

Then we were playing the board game Life and I didn't want my character to get married, and I convinced them to let me have a zucchini/QPP instead. I guess that's an aromantic moment too.

I won at Cards Against Humanity, too, though through snarky political commentary rather than suggestiveness.

You don't have to turn into a man to get proper pants! I buy men's pants all the time! Though I think I do have a pair or two of woman's pants with decent pockets too..

• Like 5