Free-response survey for asexuals

BlueSandshrew

SlightlyMetaphysical

1. How old are you?

2. What country do you live in?

U.K.

3. What religion do you identify with, if any?

None really. Put me down as atheist

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic?

Let's say hetero

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship?

No

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual?

When I was about 16

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)?

I'm sex-positive, and also one of the asexuals who likes sex for themselves, but doesn't feel sexual attraction

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)?

Nope

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)?

Nope

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem?

It varies, obviously, but about 7?

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused?

I doubt you'll find anyone who hasn't been verbally abused. But not traumatically. And neither of the other two.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could?

Nope

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject.

None really

Guest Heligan

1. How old are you?

UK, Scotland

Atheist

Hetero, bordering on aromantic these days

Yes, several, all when I was demi. Only circled people in a romatic way since realising I was now asexual.

About 5 years ago, I had been celibate for 5 years and decided it was time to get back out there....

I used to be demisexual, prior to being asexual.

I think sex, masturbation etc is natural for most people; and for most people its disgusting to think of doing it with someone you have no sexual or romantic attraction to.

For myself, these days Im disinterested until its imminent, then repulsed/phobic.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)?

Yes when I was demi, most people do have sex for other people at some point (even sexuals) its not really a big deal; until it becomes the only reason you have sex (even then it might not be a bog deal- it just depends).

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)?

Nope

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem?

Depends how severe you define abuse. I have been punched, touched in a sexual way by people I didnt want to touch me, shouted at/talked down to etc ..... But never raped or severely beaten, or in a psychologically damaging relationship long term.

If people punch me I punch them, if they touch me when I dont want I say stop, if they talk down to me I dont stand for it.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could?

I preferred being demi, it had all the benefits of asexuality with none of the downside. I like being able to want people I am romantically involved with sexually, because it made everything easier.

But if you are asking if I miss sex, nope... just everything that goes with it and is much much harder to get without it.... compaionship, love, kids etc

Marco - Proprietor of Doom

1. How old are you?

Ireland

I'm mostly atheist....

Hetero... Er, I think.

No

14 but I didn't know what the word was for it

quite positive really.

No

No

8.9 constantly

No

sometimes but I wouldn't change.

hmmm... can't think of anything

1. How old are you? 47

2. What country do you live in? US

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? Christian (Methodist)

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? aromantic

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? Not really, not since dating at age 16.

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? After I read an article in the paper about 4 or 5 years ago. I wish I had known sooner, it probably would have freed me from worrying about what was wrong with me.

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? I've always liked masturbation. Not repulsed by sex, just never been interested.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? No

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? Not really, just depression for a short while in 1994.

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? About 6

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? No

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? I'm not distressed. It might be nice to be able to have a relationship, but then it's great to have more time to do the things I like, rather than spending my time focused on sex. I've also seen people do a lot of stupid things, and tolerate a lot of stupidity from their partner, because of sex.

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. From the number of people registering here each month, I believe we will soon be recognized as normal and not in need of counseling or medical care. I am astounded at the number of young people who have questions about their sexuality (or lack) and now have the resources to find out so much information.

Good luck pulling all of these surveys together into your paper. I absolutely hated writing research papers.

1. How old are you?

Canada.

I have a moral code I like to stick to. But I was baptised catholic.

Aromantic.

no.

um...around 15-16 I suppose.

This is going to sound strange I like masturbating but I have a phobia of sex and penetration.

I have only ever been on one relationship and he broke up with me because I wouldn't kiss him.

I suspect I may have a hormone imbalance.

A five or six.

Physically not so much. Sexually yes. Verbally enough to make me cry and feel bad about myself.

No it dosn't.

Good luck with your report.

1. How old are you?

Twenty.

United States, one year in China.

Christian/Spiritual Discordian, put rather simply.

Bi-romantic.

Not really.

I began putting the pieces together when I was 17 or so.

Sex... the approximate feeling is "I'd rather get my teeth pulled"; not because I think it'd be painful for me, it's just something I have no interest or reason to do, whereas having a tooth pulled has a purpose, despite the pain of it.

Masturbation I've got no real negative thought processes on in general.

No. Seeming normal isn't the sort of thing I worry about, though apparently I don't need to try too hard to manage.

Nope.

7. I tend to feel that I know what I'm doing even if I don't, but I've got no issues if someone proves me wrong.

No.

As of now? The main distress is in living on a rather, ah, sexual college campus, so to speak, and the constant wrong-way-rubbing that presents. As to changing it? Eh, I dunno. Give me terms and explain what's going on and how it'd work and I'd consider, but odds are no. I get too much done in the time span other people are usually focused on sex to so easily give it up. (Granted, I'm distracted by other things. Hi, video games, hi, books, hi, nice walks.)

Good luck, hope this works out.

1. How old are you?

Canada.

Raised Roman Catholic, drifted over to Atheism when I was about 13.

Bi-romantic.

Yes. Two of them.

The thought "Hey, I think I'm asexual" never really crossed my mind, but I started to figure out that I was "different" in my sexual views around 17 or 18... My first serious relationship was long distance, so sex wasn't really an issue -- we only had it once or twice and both times I really didn't feel much other than discomfort. My second serious relationship (where I lived with my boyfriend for a couple of years) was when I figured out that my libido wasn't exactly on the same page as everyone else.

Apathetic towards both. Sort of "that's nice, but I don't get it".

Yes, probably several times (especially in my first relationship where I was pretty young and was terrible at understanding what I really wanted -- it's hard to explain). I would have never brought sex up in my second relationship either, but it seemed a little odd that we'd been together for so long and not really done anything physical, so it kind of just happened. It happened less when he realised I wasn't enjoying it at all.

Social anxiety disorder. And depression once, but I'm still not too sure about that.

Verbally for about five or six years in elementary school (on a consistent everyday basis for the first few ... eventually led to being ignored entirely).

Umm, I'm still getting used to the idea. Distress when I think that I'll never find a life partner, but that's only when I'm in a cynical mood. To be honest, I'm not sure whether or not I would change it if I could, because I have no idea what it's like to be sexual. Maybe I'm happier this way. I'll never find out, so I figure I'll just accept myself the way I am. :D

N/a.

1. How old are you?

-Canada

-Christian

-Hetero, but I think I'm becoming more bi

-Not yet

-A few months ago, before that I didn't really think about it.

-Not something that I would want to do, and I see no point in it, but if other people want to do that I don't care.

-Nope. Never had sex at all.

-Does ADD count? Probably not.

-4.5-8, depends on the day and the circumstances.

-I guess I was physically abused once a few years ago, and I get a bit of verbal abuse at school.

-Not at all, and I like the way I am.

-I don't see what's so confusing about asexuality (for sexual people).

1. How old are you? 27

2. What country do you live in? USA

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? None

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? a-romantic

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? Yes

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? Earlier this year, but I've always had my thoughts about it in my teen years.

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? No interest, not disgusted either.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? I would never do something I didn't want to do. So, no.

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? Nope

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? Depends, I'll say 6/7

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? No.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? Doesn't cause me distress, and I would not change who I am.

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. No extra comments.

1. How old are you?

Australia

None. I'm atheist.

I'm in a gray area, but closest to aromantic.

No

I would have first noticed it at around twelve. It was the same time everyone else started developing sexual emotions, and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. I started suspecting asexuality when I was around fifteen.

Largely indifferent to it, but happy with other people doing it provided it's consensual.

No. I'm a virgin.

OCD when I was 9, but I haven't had any symptoms for years. It's not going to have any connection with asexuality though.

Say 7.

No.

Not at all. No.

Nothing in particular.

1. How old are you?

Currently Canada, but I'm a US citizen.

Catholic, by baptism, communion, and confirmation, but not by actual belief. I guess that makes me an atheist.

Bi-romantic.

Several.

Oh, I dunno... I think I always had a feeling, but I didn't really think about it in any seriousness until I was 16, maybe 17.

Fascinated. I really find it interesting, and have no problem with other people having it. I like hearing about my friends' experiences regarding sex/sexuality--mostly so I can try and analyze all the deeper emotions and stuff going on with it, but shh. Don't tell them there's more to sex than just sex. ;)

Nope.

Nope, none.

Oh god. 2. Maybe a 3, if I'm talking biological/genetic phenomena with someone. Not related to my asexuality... There are many other reasons for it.

Verbally and physically, yes. Never sexually.

No and no.

None.

CrazyCatLover

1. How old are you?

USA

In the process of studying (and likely converting to) Kemetic Orthodoxy

Bi, but with low interest in relationships.

Yes

In my mid-late teens.

I find masturbation boring and sex rather replusive.

No

I have been treated for unipolar depression. I've also had through hormonal screen and all are normal.

8/9

No

No distress whatsoever, and I would not change such an intrinsic part of me for the world.

If some people are attracted to both genders, than why is it so hard to understand that some people might be attracted to none?

1. How old are you?

Greece

Atheist, but I don't think that's a religion

I guess I'm bi-romantic, as I can't understand the concept of gender.

Nope

When I found out about AVEN, I was 20 and some

Used to think I was plain bisexual with some sort of depression that caused lack of sexual attraction

I think sex is enjoyable and I would do it with someone to make them feel good.

Both sex and masturbation are just stimulation of the nerves that in the end produces a lot of happy-chemicals in the body. Plus, I have found human sexuality very interesting, since I was much younger.

no

Haven't cared to get any diagnoses, I feel pretty ok with myself

7.5-8.5 on good days, around 4-5 on bad days

I had a great relationship with my parents, so no abuse from there. Whoever tried to abuse me verbally at school got really frustrated because I could stand my ground against them

I would never want to change. I like the way I am and it doesn't cause me any distress. It just narrows the possibilities of finding a partner, but that's just me having high expectations

No comment. Good luck with analyzing the results :)

1. How old are you? 18

2. What country do you live in? UK

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? None really, but unsure of where I stand.

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? Aromantic, with hetro-aesthetic tendencies.

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? No

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? 13-14, when I read an article and also began to be aware of others being sexual

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? Indifferent and possibly enjoyable, just not very interesting

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? No.

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? Not officially, although have tendencies of Asperges Syndrome

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? 3-4

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? No

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? No, although experiencing being sexual may be interesting.

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. None

GhostsInThisMachine

1. How old are you?

UK

None; agnostic

Right now, a-romantic

No

When I was about 15/16

I'm indifferent to the concepts of them in general, but if it's graphic/specifically about me, then it's just disgusting

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn't want to (to sustain a relationship, seem normal, etc.)?

Yes

Chronic depression, PTSD, ED-NOS (eating disorder - not otherwise specified), DSH (deliberate self harm)

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being very high and 1 being very low, how would you rate your self esteem?

2.5-3 normally, 3.5-4 on a good day

sexually, between the ages of 6-17

Nope to both of them. I like this part of me =)

People sometimes assume that being abused can 'turn you gay/asexual' - I'd say not necessarily so. I've always felt this way about sex, but then again I never really had much of a chance to develop this side of me before the abuse started, so maybe I'm wrong about it all. However, I feel certain that had the abuse never happened, I'd still be asexual.

1. How old are you?

U.S.A.

Christian

hetero-asexual

Nope. I sometimes fantasize about it, though...but only with an asexual man, now that I know there's such a thing...but I think I'd have a lot of competition.

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual?I never was interested in sex or boyfriends, marriage or babies - as far back as I can remember. Aunts and a grandmother would tell me, "Oh, just wait until you're older..." and yet here I am today, feeling the same way. I always knew there was something different about me, and thought I was alone in those feelings. But I never knew about asexuality until I found AVEN early this year.

Sex - for others, I feel indifferent. I couldn't care less what they do. I just don't want to hear about it. Although, it doesn't bother me to read about it in romance novels. For myself - Revolted, and frightened by the thought. Pregnancy would be my worst nightmare. Masturbation - Feels good, maybe a couple times a year, when I'm in a rare mood (or just want to scratch an itch), but I feel dirty afterwards.

Nope. Virgin and plan to stay that way.

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)?As a kid (elementary and middle-school age) I remember going to the school psychologist for low self-esteem issues.

It varies. Looks: about a 2.

Intelligence: 5

Talent: Ummm...8.

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused?Verbally abused as a kid by my father and classmates. Physically or sexually - never.

No, not really. And no.

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject.I was glad when I found AVEN and learned I'm not alone.

1. How old are you?

U.S.

I consider myself athiest, but I am Pagan at the same time if that makes any sense. I'm studying druidry right now.

Most of the time I'm a-romantic, but there are a few months out of each year (not correlated to seasons, time of year, etc) where I'm hetero-romantic.

No, not serious or any other type of relationship.

Probably back when I was 13 or 14. All my friends started having crushes and saw boys sexually, but I never did. I thought I was a "late-bloomer", but I'm already 20 and still haven't.

I used to be totally repulsed by all things sexual and never wanted to talk about it or hear anything about it. Within the past 3 years or so I'm mostly indifferent to both sex and masturbation. It's fine as long as I don't see or hear other people doing that stuff.

Nope, I'm still a virgin.

I do have depression and I'm being treated for it. I also have a slight case of social anxiety because of it.

Probably a 3. the only reason I don't have a 1 is because I'd like to believe I am somewhat more intelligent and mature than other people my age. It's really low because of poor self image.

No.

95% of the time I love being asexual. The rest of the time, I'm jealous of what relationships other people have and are able to keep because of their sexuality.

It's frustrating that most people are under the impression that I'm gay or defective just because I don't want to have sex with guys. I think we have a long way to go before people understand that we are not social misfits and that asexuality can be a valid orientation. It has a lot to do with the huge role that sex plays in our culture, too. If we're not getting any action, then people tend to see us as imcomplete and our lives as unfulfilled. Last time I checked, we aren't livestock whose breeding capabilities need to be carried out. I just don't see our lives as revolving around who's screwing whom and why that should metter in the first place. So yeah, my main complaint is society.

1. How old are you?

United States

Non-denomination Christianity.

Hetero

No =(

I always knew

Sex is a beautiful thing when done between two loving lifetime partners. The pervs who have sex with any scum they meet pisses me off.

No

No, but I made self diagnoses for SAD and HOCD.

No

I like not being a pervert.

I like surveys!

1. How old are you?

Australia

I'm a LaVeyan Satanist.

I actually identify as pan-romantic. I see "bi" as a limiting term, which is why I don't go by it. But if I had to pick one of those four options, I would pick bi-romantic as it's the closest.

In the past, no. However, I did very recently (13 days ago) enter a relationship. It's already the most serious relationship I've been in, though we aren't even at the stage of kissing. Though he is (as far as I'm aware) a sexual being, it's not why he wanted a relationship with me and so intimate physical activities are not at all important. Though he has asked if we can kiss, he respects and understands my unwillingness to do so and is more than happy to just stick with hugs and snuggling. Given enough time we may get there, but at this particular point in time it's a new and predominantly non-physical relationship, and as such I don't know who would or wouldn't consider it serious. Personally, I do.

I started to realize that I was much less interested in the phenomenon of sex than my peers at 14-15. I also realized that I wasn't experiencing this attraction thing that they were harping on about at the same age. However, I didn't discover human asexuality until I was 18.

Sex: To each his own. If it gives you pleasure, then go for it. Though personally and for myself, I'm indifferent. I would be open to the idea of trying it, but only in the right (long-term) relationship.

Masturbation: Again, to each his own. I've tried it, and it was neither exciting or boring. It just....was.

I'm a virgin, so I haven't had sex at all.

No. I did at one stage have lower than normal estrogen, but that seems to have fixed itself.

On the physical side of things: On my very rare bad days (once every few months at the most), it can be a 4-5. Most of the time, though, it's an 8-9.

Mentally: Never drops below a 7. The vast majority of the time, it'd be around a 9.

Or, to sum it up: Very rarely, I'll have a day where I recognize that I could afford to lose a few kilos to be at my optimum weight, and could also stand to gain a bit of muscle and endurance. Excepting those rare days, I'm just fine with how I look and don't care what others think. I'm very confident in my mind, and only ever feel at a disadvantage when faced with someone more intelligent than myself.

Verbally, yes.

Changing it: Not at all. Like my brown eyes and poliosis, I see it as an intrinsic part of who I am. Changing it would irreparably change me, so I can't change it and still be myself.

Causing distress: Definitely not! I love being asexual. Makes life a lot less complicated.

I don't see how asexuality is so hard to understand. Heterosexuals aren't attracted to people of the same gender, and homosexuals aren't attracted to people of the opposite gender. Bisexuals combine the attractive aspect of hetero/homosexuality, so why is it such a stretch to see that asexuals combine the non-attractive aspect of hetero/homosexuality? Mono-attractive orientations are able to understand bisexuality, because they share exactly half that experience (attraction to either the same or opposite gender). Yet suddenly, when it comes to the other half of the experience - not being attracted to either the opposite or same gender - understanding goes out the window? They aren't attracted to everyone they see, and nor are we. We just have a much broader range of people that we aren't attracted to!

1. How old are you? 17

2. What country do you live in? US

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? protestant, pentecostal, four-square christian.

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? hetero-asexual.

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? yes.

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? beginning of Nov. 2008.

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? masturbation: disgusted. sex: apathetic.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? virgin.

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? nope.

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? 5.

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? hasn't everyone been verbally abused? ha.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? nope and nope.

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject: none.

1. How old are you?

England

Atheist

Heteroromantic

No

It's really only in the last year that I started giving my sexuality, or rather its existence, serious thought.

Apathetic, generally. Not my business what other people do so long as they don't include me.

No

No

As a younger teenager, probably around 3/4 for some years. These days, closer to 8/9 - I've changed a lot since then!

No. I was bullied as a child in school, I guess. Me and pretty much everyone else.

Maybe. As in, maybe I'd change it. As for distress, yes, sometimes, but it's something I'm still coming to terms with really.

For a long time I shared the suspicion that a lot of people seem to have: that if I'm not sexually attracted to the opposite gender, I must be a lesbian in denial. But that didn't make sense, because I wasn't sexually attracted to females either. It seemed ridiculous, like claiming anyone who didn't like apples must therefore like oranges. But those were the two options that applied to everyone else around me, and I didn't want to make a decision that would place me outside of either group. Especially being romantic. Finding AVEN was a revelation, a sudden discovery that I wasn't a bizarre freak, nor even one of a miniature minority, but rather one of thousands - as 'normal' as anyone else can ever pretend to be.

reverse_thrust

1. How old are you?

United States

Agnostic

Aromantic

Nope

Around fifteen or so. I was worried about my lack of interest in girls, so I decided I must be gay, but then I quickly figured out I had no interest in guys, either. It was a rather confusing number of years.

Apathetic. I'll avoid them if possible, but I wouldn't particularly mind comprimising in the context of relationship (assuming that I wasn't aromantic).

No.

Nope, although it should be noted that autism runs in my family. I don't have a diagnosis, but I strongly suspect I fit the Asperger's diagnosis criteria.

7. There's always room for improvement.

I wasn't directly abused, but my father was (is) an angry person and his outbursts sometimes disturbed me.

Not particularly. It's stressful if I'm surrounded by highly sexual people, but I'm not particularly social anyway so it's not much of a concern (and no, I wouldn't change it).

I see asexuality being validated by simple statistics. If we are to assume there is variation in sexuality (which there obviously is), most people should have an average sexual desire. One can also note that some people have an unusually high sexual desire. Naturally, there should be some individuals who have little or no sexual desire.

1. How old are you?

Australia

No "Organised" Religion. :evil:

I identify with many of the Theravada Buddhist, & Spiritualist precepts.

I'm partial to Gregorian Chants.

My Trombone repertoire is almost entirely from The Salvation Army Band Tune Book.

(Cause it was cheap, and meant I didn't have to transpose much from Bflat Cornet.)

I'm probably a Romantic hetero-romantic, with embarrassingly excessive Romantic overtones.

Many.

2046 hours, 09 September, 2008 (approximately)

"Masturbation can be fun" - from the Musical "HAIR". :)

This Post describes my thoughts on sex.

Ooooh ... yes ... for years and years and years ... :(

No.

9.6 on a bad day. Generally 10.75 to 11.2.

Hmmm, ... I don't wish to be too forthcoming, ... TMI, ... suffice to say, "Never without my consent".

No and no.

Praise be to AVEN, and each and every Member thereon.

1. How old are you?

USA & France

No organized religion that I know of.

hetero

yes

relatively recently

It can feel nice in my body, but generally I am disinterested

oh quite, yes and for too long. it is ultimately destructive and dishonest because you are not living according to your own voice.

none

i'll stay quiet on this one!

It has caused me distress to try and live up to the demands of an overly-sexualized world. No, I would not change myself.

Glad to have discovered this community. It is a relief.

1. How old are you? 17

2. What country do you live in? USA

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? it's complicated

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? Well, I am neutrois, so it is difficult to label. However, I would prefer it be female due to my strong aversion to the male genitalia.

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? Unfortunately, no.

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? 13, but I knew I was different when I was 10. (I called myself celibate)

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? my opinion fluctuates

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? virgin

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? ...aspergers and anxiety disorder

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? 4

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? Verbally, but that is irrelevant.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? No and definitely not.

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. N/A

1. How old are you?

Belgium

Atheism

Hetero-romantic asexual

Yes (currently)

Around 21 - 22

Nothing wrong in general but they are both not for me.

No, never had sex

No

Never

No I wouldn't change and it does not cause me any problem.

Nothing specific

1. How old are you?

USA

Atheist

Hetero, but don't want a relationship

No

When I was 15

Female masturbation = disgusting, male masturbation = don't care for it.

No

No

6.5, I'm working on it

No

No, I kinda like it

The way I see it, there's more to life than finding a partner, getting married, and reproducing. I certainly don't fit into that equation. And being asexual, I feel as if I view the world very differently from most people, in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

1. How old are you?

USA

Roman Catholicism

A-romantic

No

I think I considered the word briefly when I was around 13, but didn't think much about it again until I was 15 and found AVEN.

I'm repulsed by them, but don't mind that other people do it as long as they keep it to themselves.

Never had sex.

Don't think so...

Verbally, yes, I was bullied in school for years. Never physically or sexually.

It doesn't cause me distress in itself, although my family's reactions to it does sometimes. I wouldn't change it if I could, it's the way I am and I'm happy with it.

Don't really have any.

1. How old are you? 54

2. What country do you live in? United States

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? As a child - Christianity; now - Tibetan Buddhism

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? aromantic

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? No

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? Only in the last decade or so, before that, it simply didn't occur to me to classify myself

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? Sex with another person: for me: ick; for others - whatever floats your boat. Masturbation - I don't have a problem with it.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? No

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? At varous times in my life - major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, generalized panic disorder, PTSD

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? Right now about a 4

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? Physically -- yes (as a child); verbally -- off and on for most of my life; sexually -- I can'tsay definitively, however, I am really beginning to wonder, especially given family history.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? Far from causing me distress, I find being asexual to be liberating, so I like it the way it is,

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. Than k you for designing this poll in this manner, rather than a series of pre-defined answer options. I do hope that your paper turns out great. :)

geronimohorse

1. How old are you?

Australia

Christian

Pan-romantic

No

Maybe as early as 11 years old (didn't know about asexuality, but did know i was "different")

I don't do/never have done either - i've just never been interested

No

No

Yes, physically and verbally, not sexuallly

No it doesn't, and no I wouldn't change

Archived