Free-response survey for asexuals

BlueSandshrew

BlueSandshrew

For my Advanced Placement Composition and Language class, an assignment is to write an argumentative paper. I chose asexuality as the subject of mine. A good deal of the psychologists and "average Joe"-type people out there seem to be rather skeptical about asexuality, especially viewing it as a sexual orientation. My goal is to argue concise points and get them to agree with my opinion (that it is).

This is a free-response questionaire. Elaboration on any answers will help me with my report; the more detailed you are, the more information I can gather. However, some of these questions contain MATURE CONTENT, and you can feel free to not answer them if they make you uncomfortable. Any answers you give will help me, even if you do not complete the entire survey.

Thanks for anything you guys do to help me. <3

The questions are as follows:

1. How old are you?

2. What country do you live in?

3. What religion do you identify with, if any?

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic?

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship?

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual?

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)?

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)?

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)?

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem?

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused?

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could?

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject.

1. How old are you?

25 and a half ;)

Australia

None.

Mostly hetero, but only because my physical attraction is toward females. I could be romantic toward anyone. And my gender issues confuses it again...

Yes.

Since the idea of sex was known to me I always had the idea I was not interested in it. I assumed it was a part of my autism.

Masturbation is ok for those bored times. I'd count sex as disturbing, but it's more complicated than that.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)?

No. Virgin.

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)?

Does High Functioning Autism count? Also ADD.

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem?

My self esteem can't be rated linearly.

Physically on occasion during high school. Verbally quite often throughout high school and sometime beyond.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could?

Not really, I'm content as I am.

No further thoughts.

1. How old are you?

United States

Jewish.

Romantic hetero

Yes.

I always knew I didn't want/like sex but didn't know there was anything such as asexuality until two years ago.

Disgusted or bored, mostly disgusted.

Yes, for all my adult life, to sustain relationship/seem normal.

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions

Phobia, anxiety, OCD

Verbally in relationships and in school.

If it were more understood and acknowledged as a valid orientation, it would be fine.

I hope younger asexuals have an easier time of it.

1. How old are you?

Australia

None.

Hetero.

No.

About 12-13, when I first started to like boys romantically (though I'd never heard of asexuality and thought there must just have been something wrong with me instead).

Disgusted.

No.

Not diagnosed with anything specific, no, but my hormones have given me trouble with some things in the past.

Physically and verbally, yes, at school when I was little. Sexually, no.

It only causes me distress when I worry that people will turn me down/not accept me because of it. I don't want to change - that'd be like saying I'd want to change to be someone who likes to frequently pick their nose and eat it! Who would want that? Ew.

I have none at the moment.

1. How old are you?

Australia

Atheist

Aromantic

No

I've always felt just exactly like me. It's other people being different it took me a while to realise. I guess finding this site, earlier this year.

I just think it's irrelevant.

No

No

No

No distress, no change. I am who I am.

Nothing for you here, sorry.

1. How old are you?

England

No specific religion I'm afraid. My beliefs border on pagan, but I try not to tie myself too closely with specific groups in that way.

Pan-romantic, or just simply romantic - bi is too limiting a prefix.

I have been in a few.

I didn't actually think "Oh, I'm asexual" until I joined AVEN but had known from the early onset of puberty I didn't associate myself 100% with the more well-known orientations.

I'm in a relationship which includes sex, and my drive is up-and-down so I masturbate occasionally when I'm not sexually active to check if everything's still working. I think both sex and masturbation are very good things for a lot of people.

Only really when I've been tired - I have sex primarily to please a partner and show my affection, but I don't consider doing it when I'm sleepy unwanted as such. Just grouchy sex.

Not officially, no. I suffer from frequent bouts of severe depression however.

Not that I can remember but the first 16 years of my life are a black spot.

This is a difficult question, my answer varies. When I look at it from the point-of-view that I have relationships with people who are more sexual than I, I would change it if I could for sheer convenience - a lot of people are put off by my 'meh' attitude. On the other hand though, I'm content with myself and what I am.

Guess you could say it's a bit like me dying my hair black for convenience with extensions, heh. Happy with what I am, but being sexual would be a lot easier relationship-wise.

Nothing really comes to mind, sorry.

1. How old are you?

( 21 )

( Canada, Québec )

( Chistianism, always been athee )

( hetero-romantic )

( 2 of em: one 3 months, the other 1.5 years and still going )

( since always )

( on me: nauseous. about others: indiferent. in fiction: facinated.)

( no, virgin, but I perform oral on my partner.. I don't WANT to but I don't really CARE about it )

( um.. a burn-out at 19 because of school )

( 8 )

( never )

( some distress when the one I love talks about how he misses sex, I'd never change )

( I wonder why most people can't understand my feelings, after all, they all been a kid who didn't care about sex not so long ago..)

SpirallingSnowy

1. How old are you?

Australia

None particularly strongly, if pressed i will say Christiadelphian.

hetero romantic, but open to anything romantic wise.

about 8. Any relationship ive entered has been romantically serious for me.

longest lasted 1.5 yrs, shortest a few weeks, all with sexuals.... *sigh*

When a friend introduced me to AVEN - I was about 22. I always knew i didnt quite fit the sterotypical sexual mold.

Masterbation i dont really want to hear about it from other people, but myself - only to fix an annoying itch or as stress relief.

sex - other people they can do whatever they want, as long as it doesnt involve me. As far a sex for me is concerned, i had it in the past but have no burning desire to repeat it, although i would consider it any relationship and work out where all parties stood.

Yes. I cant count the amount of times i have had to sustain a relationship, to appear normal, or to try and get my emotional needs met by being what someone else wanted.

ADHD, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, BPD traits, Depression. My mother suspects im an Aspie or atleast have some Aspie traits.

any given day it would be flit between 3 - 8 depending on my headspace.

Phsyically and verbal yes, all during school times verbally and physically only a few times. sexual abused no.

Have had people who were very sexual pushy with me and made me very uncomfortable though.

Nope. dont wnat to change it. Causes a little distress because so many rels havent worked and i never knew why. But on the whole no.

Dont have any sorry.

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

1. How old are you?

Australia.

Buddhism.

Bisexual.

Two.

Masturbation i'm okay with. I'm slightly repulsed with sex though.

Never had sex.

Anxiety/Panic disorder. Depression..caused by chemical imbalances.

Yes.

No, i like being asexual.

None, sorry :)

1. How old are you?

Scotland.

None.

Pan-romantic

(Though technically it's not, being that I'm still to find a masculine person attractive, but it's the best term I know for it, so I use it.)

I've never been in a romantic relationship, serious or otherwise.

I've always known, right from when I first learned about sex, that it wasn't something I was interested in, and I knew that when it seemed everyone else became sexual I didn't, but I only knew I was asexual when I read the Wikipedia article just before joining AVEN.

Sex: I'm fairly repulsed by sex - it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest and I have no intention to ever do it. I have no problem with other people doing it though, just I'd really rather they didn't tell me about it.

Masturbation: I'm completely indifferent to it.

Nope.

My psychologist pretty much so said she I most likely had Social Anxiety Disorder.

(I assure anyone and everyone that this doesn't affect my sexuality - I'm not looking at people and wanting a sexual relationship with them but being to scared to start one; I'm not wanting one in the first place.)

At the moment it's probably around 6, but has been known to be right down at 1 on occasion.

(Once again, this being low isn't related to my asexuality: I don't care if if people could never find me sexually attractive - in fact, I like it that way.)

I was bullied for nine years by countless different people whist at school (which led to the answers to the two previous questions); all but one occasion was verbal. I've never been sexually abused.

No, it doesn't cause me any distress; I've been asexual for over nineteen years now and can't imagine being, nor do I want to be, any other way. I'd probably only date an asexual too, so if ever I should end up in a relationship, my being asexual won't be the cause of distress.

I don't have any at the moment.

1. How old are you?

United States

atheist (but I love studying religions, so a happy atheist :) )

a-romantic

nothing serious in a romantic sort of way.

I got worried as to why I didn't like people romantically around 16. I didn't classify myself as asexual until I turned 18 and found AVEN.

Whatever makes people happy. I'm not going to stare or stone people, so I guess I'm sort of apathetic about it. Though for some reason, people kissing is the grossest thing to me and I have to look away...

No, I've had dates and relations to seem normal and if they wanted to go a next level I ended it.

No, but I prefer not to go to doctors. (they always try to label me with some sickness when I'm perfectly healthy)

on a usual basis 8, when I dress up 10.

nope, everything is peachy keen

Sometimes I can get pissy about it but at the end of the day, I'm proud of it and I doubt I would ever change who I am.

My goal in spreading the word about asexuality, is to show that we all come as varied as sexual people. We aren't all ugly hormonal imbalanced shutins afraid of intimacy. We're just like everyone else, but with a different orientation.

1. How old are you?

Britain

None.

Hetero, I guess.

Yes

Last year.

Fun fun fun.

No.

Not at the time of writing.

Dunno...6/7?

Verbally I think...:3. Not because of being asexual though. But it may have somehow contributed to my being so.

No.

Umm...none right now. Oh wait, why just religion? Why not political orientation too?

Mimicking Sanity

How fun.

1. How old are you?

Eighteen.

England, Great Britain.

None at all.

Aromantic, heh.

No, nor have I been in a 'casual' one.

I can't exactly remember. I realised a short while before joining Aven, regardless.

I'm sickened by the ideas. Other people may do as they wish, as long as I'm not involved. In any way.

Never have.

Diagnosed as 'Schizoid'. I'd rather not have been given such a title from one who may have as many 'problems' as the people they meet though.

Five, maybe? Neither low nor high.

No, no, and no.

None whatsoever. I'm pretty happy.

I haven't much to type for this, ah well.

Socio-economic class wouldn't have any place in this survey, I imagine?

1. How old are you?

Brazil.

No religion but I have my beliefs.

I don't know!! That's the whole reason for my username. ^^ I'm unsure whether I'm aromantic, heteroromantic or biromantic. And I don't really know if I want to find it out.

No. Not serious nor of any kind.

Ever since I can remember. When all kids at school could only talk about kissing and stuff, I knew I did not want to do it. But people would say I was a late bloomer so I'd let it go. By the time I was 16 I was sure I was not like the other people I knew.

It's not for me. When I do feel sexual tension I have my own muscular exercises to let it go. No way I'm putting my hands down there.

Now, sex, sometimes I feel disgusted by the idea of sex, other times I feel apathetic.

Virgin.

My hormones have been checked twice. LOL Very very normal. I do have OCD but I do not link it to asexuality.

I've been told I have low self esteem but I don't know. I'd say sometimes it's a 3, others it is a 9. I do have my ups and downs.

I am constant target of bullies. Does it count? I have been sexually harassed and somewhat abused before but I do not link it to any thoughts of asexuality. I was already the way I am right now towards sex. It did confirm how humans are disgusting thou. And gave me some fear towards sexual people, but did not change the idea I had about my ownself.

I would not change. If offered the "magic pill" I'd happily refuse it. But being asexual does cause me some sort of distress at times. In fact, it is not the being asexual in itself but my personality linked to it and the way I respond to people. The sexual world frightens me at times and I would really like to find some real life friends who would not link the idea of sex to every single conversation.

I know it is childish and selfish but I would like to know how it would be to live in a world where sex was not overrated. How about a population of 85% asexuals?

1. How old are you?

UK

None - agnostic rather than atheist, though.

Unsure: love people without desiring a relationship with them. Bi/a

No.

When I left secondary school, and realised that characters in school-based dramas were in love. I realised that we weren't all just waiting to grow into sexuality. This would be about a year after I first read this new scientist article, but when I first read it, I still thought it was something "adults" were.

I just don't see the point.

No.

I've been diagnosed as depressed, and medicated for it in the past.

2. I'd say this is more related to question 9 than my asexuality.

Not properly, no. I was called a lesbian because I wouldn't admit who I fancied, but that's defiantly not a cause of my aceness...

No. I'm happy being single, and given that no-ones ever attempted to make me non-single, I think being sexual would cause more distress in my current situation.

Just because no-one's tried to lay me doesn't mean I'm trying to put a brave face on it.

1. How old are you?
USA
Passingly Christian, more agnostic than anything.
Mostly a-romantic.
I've been engaged....
I've always known I was different. Early twenties maybe is when I figured I wasn't just a 'late bloomer'.
Pretty much apathy on all ends, though certain thing will make me say EWWWW.
Yes...
No.
6. It used to be lower, but I think I'm about average for self-confidence now.
Nope.
Nope.
Um.... Don't really have one. :D
Adm_Twister_JCOM

1. How old are you? 21, but my mental age is 72.

2. What country do you live in? USA

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? Christian

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? Non-romantic

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? No

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? 12, but I had no confirmation until age 20

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? Repulsed

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? Not at all

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? No

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? 7

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? No

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? No to both

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. None

1. How old are you?

Britain.

None.

Aromantic at the present time, and for the forseeable future; however, I can envisage giving a heteroromantic relationship a go at some point in my life.

No.

Around 2 years ago, aged 16ish.

Masturbation is something I can enjoy, I am sort of curious about sex, but actually having it is not a priority for me.

Never had sex, so no.

My GP and a counsellor said I "probably" had depression when I was 15, I don't know if that counts as a diagnosis.

Hmm... 6?

My physical self-esteem is at about 4, but I have quite a high opinion of my own intelligence, so intellectual self-esteem would be around 8.

Verbally yes; bullied at school a bit. Nothing massively traumatic, it was more a case of being ignored with me.

I'm alright with my sexuality at the moment, I am interested to see how it develops... if it changes, it changes, that's fine.

Perhaps this survey could have included something about other social interactions; introvert or extrovert, that sort of thing... though there is info on that elsewhere on the board.

1. How old are you?

USA.

Stoicism.

Hetero-romantic.

I've been in a few.

Somewhere in my early thirties.

It feels good.

No.

No.

Verbally, yes.

No and no.

1. How old are you?

Germany

Liberal Christianity

Heteroromantic

No

At the age of 15 or 16, when both a friend and I had some feelings for girls but his included sex, mine didn't.

There's more interesting things to life.

No

No

Just some bullying at school.

No. Never.

None.

1. How old are you?

USA

Christian, but not religious at all - I was raised Christian and went to a Christian private school for nine years, including church, chapel, sunday school, etc, and though I like the values, I don't really believe in it. So I guess, I have my own set of beliefs.

Hetero-romantic.

I've never been in any kind of romantic or sexual relationship at all, no dating, no kissing, no experiementing, no nothing. But I would like one someday.

I've always been that way, but it was when my friends started to experiment in the six grade that I started wondering why I wasn't like that or interested in that. I used the word "asexual" in describing myself jokingly, not knowing that it was a real thing. It wasn't until this year, in June, at the age of 17 that I stumbled upon this website and finally felt at home. :)

I do masturbate a couple times a week, but it's just relief, not really pleasure. I'm fine with other people having sex, they can do as they please - but I, myself, have never had the desire for it. So, apathetic, I guess.

Nope, I'm a virign to everything. ;)

Nope. I'm perfectly normal (if there is such a thing).

9.9 - I am very, very happy and comfortable with who I am.

Nope.

No, I'm perfectly happy with it. I don't think I would want to change it.

1. How old are you?

United States

None but I'm very open minded

Pan-romantic asexual

Yes

Earlier this year. Not because I thought I was sexual before but more because I never really gave it much thought.

I'm not bothered by it.

Yes..somewhat..bit of a gray area..not sure if it classifies as sex..so No..sort of.

Not yet

5-7 depending on what day it is

Yes

Nope..I'm fine with it

Nothing to add

1. How old are you? 24

2. What country do you live in? ireland

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? iffyism - a mixture of the good parts of buddhism, christianity, agnostic and other religions

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? hetero romanticf

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? nope

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? 3 or 4 years ago

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? apathethic. i masturbate occassionally in order to stop sperm build up in the testicles

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? nope

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? nope. i'm the good kind of crazy, uncertifianle

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? 7

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? nope

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? nope

13. Please share any final comments you have on the subject. none

pawprint prettysure

1. How old are you?

24 in a couple of days

Finland

atheist

pan-romantic asexual

yes

I guess I've always known I was "different" but I only came contact with the term asexual a couple of years back.

indifferent

yes

depression

umm... around 5 perhaps

verbally since the first day of school, every day for 6 years and after that every now and then.

no / no

--

1. How old are you?

16. 17 in a couple weeks.

Canada.

No religion. One would call me an atheist.

Hetero. Very possibly pan or bi, though.

No. I don't plan on getting into any kind of a romantic relationship for quite a few years at the least.

I've known for a while that I was never interested in sex, but only a few months ago (maybe June of this year?) did I find the term asexual.

I'm apathetic towards sex. I can watch porn, watch sex scenes on TV and movies, and all that. I'd only be repulsed if I had to partake in such inane acts.

As for masturbation, 100% neutral. I masturbate a couple times a week, but that's simply for relief, not because I enjoy it.

No. Still a virgin.

No. But the school counsellor wants me to go to the doctor to get a professional diagnosis and see if I really do suffer from depression and anxiety.

3-8. Depends on the day, who I'm with... A number of factors.

I was a target for bullies up until last year--which was when I left the mainstream schooling.

It was mostly verbal abuse. In grades 3 and 4 I was a victim of physical abuse--somewhat. Mostly all that person did was randomly come up to me and give me a couple hard kicks and then leave. He did also punch me a few times. Seemed way worse then than it does now.

Never been sexually abused as far as I know.

Before I knew that I was normal I was extremely embarrassed at the fact that I didn't ever want sex. Now that I know I'm normal, I'm content with it. I still haven't completely come to terms with my asexuality, but I would never change.

No further thoughts.

1. How old are you? 19

2. What country do you live in? UK (Wales)

3. What religion do you identify with, if any? Agnostic

4. Do you identify as hetero-, homo-, bi-, or a-romantic? pan-inclined

5. Have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship? No

6. When did you first start to think you were asexual? 14 I appreciated I never fancied anyone and I was staying that way - 15.5 I got the words.

7. What do you think of sex and masturbation (Disgusted, apathetic, etc.)? Fine by me. As long as I feel comfortable I'll roll with it - I'm quite curious if anything.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn’t want to (to sustain a relationship, seem “normal”, etc.)? No

9. Have you ever been diagnosed with any abnormal mental conditions (Manic depression, hormone imbalances, etc.)? Not diagnosed but I probably had unipolar depression.

10. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “very high” and 1 being “very low”, how would you rate your self esteem? 8/9

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually, or verbally abused? At school, bullied pretty viciously, last one particularly, first one more in primary school, middle one not really.

12. Does it cause you distress being asexual and/or would you change if you could? Only because my identification seems to be getting in the way of my LGBTetc career ambitions.

1. How old are you?

17 (18 in just over a month).

UK.

Apatheism. So, essentially, none.

Hetero-romantic.

Yes.

About a year ago (the relationship I was in at the time is mainly responsible for me realizing I was a bit different), but I didn't actually know about asexuality until the start of this year.

Apathetic and slightly repulsed.

Yes.

OCD is strongly suspected both by myself and others, but I haven't had an official diagnosis

No.

No.

I'm done.

Luvisjusahoax1

1. How old are you?

I’m 22

U.S.A.

I identify closest to Buddhism

I labeled myself as Hetero, but since the discovery of Aven my identity seems to be slowly switching over to a-ro.

If you would consider the relationships during your teenage years to be serious, then yes.

When heard the name and discovered what it was.

Sex- ugh, disgusted MB – Human

Yeah…… to sustain a relationship

Nope none

Concerning looks, my self esteem would prob. be in the range of 4-6, depending on the people I’m with and the mood I’m in.

Concerning intelligence, my self esteem would be about 8.

My ex-boy friend would at times verbally abuse me. Things that had to do with my physical appearance and sex related subjects. This went on for about two years between the ages of 17 and 19.

It causes me distress because I want the companionship of a man but feel it’s impossible to find someone who doesn’t want sex.

If I could change..ummm… I think I just might want to. I don’t think anyone understands just how hard it is to find a guy who doesn’t need to have sex.

I’m glad to see that I’m not alone

1. How old are you?

Wales, UK.

3. What religion do you identify with'

Pagan/Roman Catholic.

4. Do you identify as hetero, homo, bi, or a-romantic?

Hetero-romantic.

5. have you ever been in a serious romantic relationship?

Yes, for 6 years when in my twenties, and for the last 13 years with a sexual man.

I have always been asexual, I just didn't know the term for it until two years ago.

7. What do you think of sex an masturbation?

Completely disinterested. Think it a waste of time.

8. Have you ever had sex when you didn't want to?

Yes, when younger to appear normal, when older I didn't care about that, but have done it to please a partner.

9. have you ever beendiagnosed iwth any abnormal mental conditions?

Yes, periodic clinical depression, but not related to my asexuality.

10. How would you rate your self-esteem?

9 - 10. Very happy with myself.

11. Have you ever been physically, sexually or verbally abused?

Bullied at secondary school for 4 years because I refused to conform to their norm. Was physically and sexually abused in a very brief relationship in my late 20s.

12. Does being asexual cause you stress?

No, it's part of who I am, I'm happy with it, and wouldn't change if I could. I have time for so many things that are more interesting, and don't feel the need to hang on to an unsuitable partner just because I need sex!

13. Any other comments?

Finding a community of people who are like me was fantastic. I would like it to be generally accepted as a sexual orientation, rather than a sickness of some sort.

Archived