Hello

katilian

Hi, everyone, I'm Katie. I kind of feel like I'm repeating what everyone else has already said, but I guess that's because our experiences have been similar . . .

I'm almost thirty, and I've always thought there was something wrong with me. To be my age and not just *not* have had sex, but not particularly want to? It didn't seem 'normal,' whatever that might be. I even joked around a bit and said, "If there's such a thing as being asexual, that must be what I am." But I never really thought there would be other people like me. At least, not enough to have an identity as a group, like heterosexual/bisexual/homosexual people do.

So, when I finally wised up and did a search on 'asexual people' (as opposed to 'asexual', which gets you all sorts of information that's probably fascinating to your nearest botonist but didn't help me at all), I found Aven, and it was really, really amazing to hear my story be told over and over. To hear that it wasn't weird or wrong not to want to have sex, in fact, to be completely uninterested in sex.

Since I've been getting to 'know' some people around here from their posts, it seemed only fair that I introduce myself: as I said, I'm almost thirty, single, and became a mom earlier this year when I adopted my twelve-year old nephew. (And yes, that did lead to all sorts of inappropriate thoughts about Virgin Mothers.) I teach middle school (7th grade English). I've only had a few romantic/leading-to-sexual relationships in my life, and every time we got close to the sexual bit, I panicked. The nerve endings respond, but I don't *like* what I'm doing/having done to me. As I said earlier, having both a name to put to my feelings and evidence that it's not something wrong with me is quite a relief.

So . . . definitely glad I found you guys. Forgive me if you post something I don't respond to quickly in the next couple of days; I'll be on the road and computer access may be scarce.

Hi Katilian,

and welcome to AVEN.

There is nothing that can compare to the feeling when you first find out that you are NOT the only person on the planet who doesn't care about sex. It's great isn't it?

Glad you found us!

-Greybird

There is nothing that can compare to the feeling when you first find out that you are NOT the only person on the planet who doesn't care about sex.

Funny.. that's what they say about sex :D

Sorry to hijack. Welcome again!

Hi Katie, good to see you. I loved this

So, when I finally wised up and did a search on 'asexual people' (as opposed to 'asexual', which gets you all sorts of information that's probably fascinating to your nearest botonist but didn't help me at all),

I think that's what kept me from even searching for the term on the net, I thought it only applied to plants. Glad you're smarter than me LOL

Hello, Katie.

And kudos on being a Virgin Mother. Work that one for all you can. It did wonders for that other lady. . . :roll:

Now that thought was truly inappropriate! :shock:

BOOYA!

Welcome! You sound like a really neat person. SO without much ado...the dance!

*Does the WoMBaT Dance!*

We got another one! We got another one!

This teacher is Awesome, hear what i'm sayin?

Here she comes, the asexual wonder, Katilian!

BOOYA!

Welcome to AVEN! :wink:

Live R Perfect

Welcome to AVEN Katilian! :D

Another one who labelled themselves asexual before ever hearing of the existence of human asexuality? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Is there a collective subconcious after all?... Well, I'm not going to answer that question right now - its, errr... a secret *pokes out tongue* :P

Glad you found us too! :wink:

Cate Perfect
There is nothing that can compare to the feeling when you first find out that you are NOT the only person on the planet who doesn't care about sex.

Right on! *nodnod*

Welcome! :D

Cate

Kensington

Welcome welcome!

I think most of us were quite amazed the first time we found this place. Glad you managed to find your way here. :D

Welcome to AVEN, Katie :D

I kind of feel like I'm repeating what everyone else has already said, but I guess that's because our experiences have been similar . . .

sometimes there's joy in repetition. :) I think each new biography here strengthens and differentiates a more complete picture of asexuality. Overlapping stories is a necessary glue.

Way to go on being a teacher! and a mother! Great to have you here.

take care,

laura

silver myst
I've only had a few romantic/leading-to-sexual relationships in my life, and every time we got close to the sexual bit, I panicked. The nerve endings respond, but I don't *like* what I'm doing/having done to me.

Oh wow. I'm so glad someone can put that into words - that's how I've felt when I get to that stage with people, and I've never really been able to explain it. Thanks!

VivreEstEsperer

Welcome to the board, Katie, from another Kate! (hey, it's close enough!)

and it was really, really amazing to hear my story be told over and over.

I love how you put that!! I still love every day to see my story being told over and over again in these posts. There are few things I love more than to see myself actually being reflected in the people, posts, stories and lives on this site. It is a wonderful feeling, to say the least. We should make a book of all our welcome posts. Oh wait...we already tried that. lol. didn't get very far.

Welcome though and I hope you enjoy it here and stick around for a while. Post whenever you feel like and don't be afraid to ask/say whatever is on your mind. You're not the only Texan here either so....yeehaw! (ha that was terribly stereotypic I realize!)

Kate

Archived