• Have hitch hiker's thumb
    • Have long palmar muscle
    • Have mid digital hair
    • My second finger is shorter than the fourth
    • Have Darwinian pinna on ear
    • Have color blindness
    • I have none of these traits

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok the wording is a bit inconsistent, but I have had a long day and will fix it later.

And unless someone else wants to I'll post links to explain what each of the items is talking about so you know how to respond.

The entry concerning whether your second finger is shorter than your fourth is asking whether your ring finger is longer than your index finger.

I believe the presence or abscence of these traits has been linked to genetics.

Did this rescently as part of a lab.

Yeah, I got as far as Googling 'attached earlobe' and still couldn't figure out what it was going on about after a few minutes of looking, so gave up.

I can roll my tongue. Also I was born with 11 toes. And another extremely uncommon genetic anomaly...

SpirallingSnowy

lol im full of recessive traits. attached ear lobes, blonde haired, blue eyed, straight hair etc :P

I'm demisexual and I can roll my tongue and have a bent little finger on my right hand.

I couldn't determine the long palmer muscle and darwinian pinna on ear. I can't even quite tell if my lobe is attached or hanging actually, but it's more or less hanging.

Please explain:

hitch hiker's thumb

long palmar muscle (or any palmar muscle?)

mid digital hair

Darwinian pinna on ear

I know the others, but I've never heard of these, so I can't answer this poll yet.

Skylark: the only one of those I know about is hitchhiker's thumb - if you stick your thumb up and look at it, it'll either be straight or the tip will point backwards towards your wrist. If it points backwards, that's a hitchhiker's thumb.

thumb1.jpg

I only know what a few of those are, so I won't answer the poll. But I have a pretty good hitchhiker's thumb (perhaps I should use it and get out of here! ee) My pinky fingers are bent in at the top joint, but that's not genetic, it's from playing piano as a kid when the bones were still developing (it's common among people who played piano as kids, I've never met anyone with it who didn't play, and nobody in my family has it), I can roll my tongue, but I don't have a widow's peak. And god knows what any of the other things are.

I only know what a few of those are, so I won't answer the poll. But I have a pretty good hitchhiker's thumb (perhaps I should use it and get out of here! ee) My pinky fingers are bent in at the top joint, but that's not genetic, it's from playing piano as a kid when the bones were still developing (it's common among people who played piano as kids, I've never met anyone with it who didn't play, and nobody in my family has it), I can roll my tongue, but I don't have a widow's peak. And god knows what any of the other things are.

Hey, I played piano (and still do). Maybe that explains my fingers! Not only are my pinkies bent at the top joint, but so are all my other fingers. They all slant inwards. I've always wondered about that, since I've never met anyone else with the same trait, and my parents don't have it.

No hitchhiker's thumb, though. I am the least double-jointed person in the world. Thanks to Tetraploid for the explanation. I still can't answer the poll, however.

Edit: Can anyone translate medical-ese?

Long Palmar Muscle: "A muscle with origin from the humerus, with insertion into the flexor retinaculum and the palmar fascia, with nerve supply from the median nerve, and whose action tenses the palmar fascia and flexes the hand and forearm." :wacko:

Mimicking Sanity

I'm uncertain about the 'Bent little finger', but mine slightly curve to my other fingers - Which I've always assumed to be 'normal'.

However, I know that I can roll my tongue, I've mid-digital hair, my Ring fingers are longer than my Index, and I've the a pinna, but I've no idea if it's 'Darwinian'.

- Skylark, from what little I understand about muscles, it's the muscle attached to the humerus responsible for flexing the hand and forearm, as well as tensing the palmar fascia, as you've quoted.

The flexor retinaculum and palmar fascia, I think, are just muscles it has a connection of sorts with.

Feh, I don't much care for muscles. <_<

Edit: 'Mid Digital hair' is having hair on the 'middle part' of any finger. It needn't be much, though.

Hmm, I can roll my tongue & have hitchhiker's thumb. I have "Darwin's tubercle" but is that the same as pinna? I don't think so, from what I could see pinna is a point and a tubercle is just a thick helix, at least that's how I interpreted it I could be wrong.

I still don't know what any of these things are, except for a hitch-hiker's thumb, of which I have a very pronounced one.

Guest EGDingthestar
Yeah, I got as far as Googling 'attached earlobe' and still couldn't figure out what it was going on about after a few minutes of looking, so gave up.

this is an "attached earlobe"

attached.jpg

this is a "free" or "hanging earlobe"

dangly.jpg

look at the bottom of lobe where it meets with the face... the top one straight on attaches, and the bottom one comes back up and then connects.

My pointer fingers are embarrassingly shorter than my ring fingers, and I can roll my tongue... Meh. Not too special.

Explanations for people on the ones that I know:

Attached earlobes: Earlobes can be of two varieties: attached or free hanging. See EGDthestar's post for picture examples.

Widow's peak: The hairline comes to a defined "peak" at the middle of the forehead. See here: Widow's peak.

Can roll my tongue: Pretty self explanatory.

Bent little finger: A bend in the third knuckle (furthest from the hand) in your pinky finger. Looks like this: Bent little finger.

Hitch hiker's thumb: Give yourself a "thumbs up!" and take note: does your thumb, at the knuckle, bend backwards and form something close to a 90 degree angle with the rest of your thumb? That would be an example of hitch hiker's thumb.

Mid digital hair: Hair on the middle knuckle on your fingers. One or two strands is sufficient to prove this.

Second finger shorter than the fourth: Again, pretty self explanatory.

Color blindness: Cannot see certain colours, typically reds or greens. More common in men than women.

And, yo. I'm a genetics student and I couldn't find anything on "long palmar muscle" or "Darwinian pinna on ear". :P

First of all I wanted to point that when I googled "Darwinian pinna" the first answer was this exact thread. XD

I had to look for almost all of them and had no idea half of these things had a name. AVEN teaches me so much... :)

I couldn't be sure about the attached earlobes. Is there such thing as half attached? LOL I couldn't be sure about the bent little finger either. It is surely bent but so is the one next to it. *shrug* So I did not check these two.

I've got widow's peak (but I pluck it out with tweezers), mid digital hair, ring finger longer then index ("same" with the toes) and Darwinian pinna on ear.

Oh, yeah, I still can't get the "long palmar" thing but since my hands are short I did not check that. :P As for the pinna I found this pic:

image258.jpg

" "DARWIN'S POINT" ON HUMAN EAR (MARKED D.P.)

It corresponds to the tip (T) of the ear of an ordinary mammal, as shown in the hare's ear below. In the young orang the part corresponding to Darwin's point is still at the tip of the ear. "

The long palmar muscle is on your forearm. You can find it by holding your arm out with your palm facing up, then make a fist and curl your hand inward at the wrist. You should be able to find three tendons attached to your wrist. If you only have two, you don't have the long palmar muscle.

And this is a Darwinian pinna:

1_9_L.sized.jpg

Okay, now with all the information provided I can reply. I tried to take the poll, but it's not letting me.

Asexual

-Can roll my tongue

-Hichhiker's thumb

-mid digital hair

-Second finger shorter than the forth

I have...

mid digital hair

can roll my tongue

hitchhiker's thumb (actually, my left thumb can be bent back to my wrist...)

Darwinian Pinnae (or whatever.)

Widow's peak

Bent little finger

Whether my second or fourth finger is longer depends on how I'm holding my hand at the moment... I'd say they're even. :D

Yay, Shockwave! Now I can answer this (but not on the poll, because there's no option to pass on the sexual section).

I have:

Attached earlobes

Can roll my tongue

have a bent little finger (and bent other three fingers on both hands)

Still not sure about the palmar muscle. I did the fist clenching thing, and instead of the two tendons you're supposed to see, I could only see one! Either that's one of the two and the other is hiding, or it's the palmar muscle itself and both the other two are hiding. But I probably don't have it, I'm guessing.

Like the person above me, I'm also not sure about the 2nd finger being shorter or not. At certain angles they look shorter, but at other angles they look longer. It's also hard to tell because all my fingers are bent. :P

Guest EGDingthestar

awww... the percentages are displayed "off."

for rolling the tongue, instead of 25% shouldn't it be like 80% of asexually identified peoples? (Maybe just the way the voting is laid out?)

All I have is the tongue :roll:, and the palmar.

(I didn't think I should list my attached earlobe).

I'm asexual and can roll my tongue.

I've examined my index and ring fingers many times and they are exactly the same length :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm asexual, can roll my tongue, have bent little fingers (and other fingers), hitchhiker's thumb, darwinian pinnae, ring fingers longer than index fingers. also red hair and blue eyes. :huh: Genetics had fun with me.

Archived