Crazy Cat Lady

JustJudy

I saw this on the news last night and thought about people on here who say they may become a crazy cat lady. This is so bad, they took 100 cats! and 4 dogs from her home and most where in such bad shape that they will have to be euthanized AND she had 185 dead cats in the refrigerator and freezers!

Please don't become a crazy cat lady!

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa....1ae0efd41.html

oh my gosh..it's so sad to hear stuff like that! :unsure:

I'm a huge animals defender, I'm a vegetarian as well..

hope she will be punished! <_<

I used to watch animal cops but stopped because it was just too sad to see what people can do to animals. Sometimes I get really embarrassed and shameful of our species.

This cat lady not only should be fined, but put away. So so sad :(

CrazyCatLover

That's horrible!

I call myself a crazy cat lady, but I will never have more cats than people in one house. Also, the "crazy" part refers to my panic attacks (which are generally relived by petting my cat, who always comes when I'm having one) and mild psychosis; it's intended as a pun on "crazy" and "cat lover."

What some people seem to forget, or perhaps don't want to hear in the first place, is that people who hoard animals like that person did are mentally ill and delusional. It is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I have known two hoarders and both of them were in total denial about any negative impacts caused by their "harmless" collections. One collected Hummel figurines - multiple THOUSANDS of them! - to the extent that every single room in her house was buried in the things - on shelves, on the furniture, on the floor, under glass - you name it. It was difficult to walk through her home because there were only narrow pathways that could be safely navigated and she kept it like a shrine. They couldn't be moved or hidden in any way. She financially beggared herself and at least two husbands (at last count) with that obsession, and she still refused to see it as a problem.

The other hoarder that I knew was a legitimate cat hoarder who used to live across the street from me. Thankfully, she only had about 20 or so, but they still managed to completely exterminate the last remnant population of mountain quail in this area. I doubt if the quail will ever return since they have never been common and are dwindling all across their range. The house where she lived STILL smells like cat piss despite all of the hard work by the new owners.

These people need proper diagnosis, intervention, treatment, and prevention of future relapses - not punishment.

Whether or not they will get it is anybody's guess due to our health care system being in such a shambles, but they are no more in control of themselves than a paranoid schizophrenic or any other mentally ill person.

Punishing a mentally ill person for doing things that they can't control isn't justice - it's revenge, and it serves no good purpose.

-GB

I do agree that some (if not most) of these people have some sort of mental illness. Depression, need for company, severe lack of self esteem, ignorance. Dogs and cats are the most accepting animals of humans. When I was in my early 20's a woman who lived next door loved dogs. Not just any dog but miniture shelties. In-breeding started happening and she quickly became over run. But she was not a clean person. The dogs never went outside, they were matted, dirty and the house was even worse. Dog feces piled 3 inches high behind the couch, smell of urine everywhere. Then she brought home another puppy. The poor thing was so scared it hid under her chair and wouldn't come out. It was a dalmation x that someone just "dropped" off on her door step. I went over one day and found a dead puppy on the outside porch. Went inside and found this little dalmation and said thats it. I told her that I would take the puppy and we were cleaning the place up. Needless to say I did all the work. It didn't stay clean very long and I moved shortly after. But now I wish I had called animal control.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not just a compulsive obsession...but definitely a mental illness of some kind. These people don't understand the law of owning pets or the care it takes. Most just want the company or to feel superior. I have seen neglectful people with horses too and most is due to just plain ignorance.

I do feel sad for people like this, but when it comes to animals they should be fined, but also sent away for help. Ignoring or letting them go with just a fine...rarely solves the problem.

Archived