How did you self identify before self identifying as asexual

EGAD!

Self Identify Before Identifying as Asexual  

1. 1. How did you identify before self identifying as asexual?

• Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Demisexual
    • Pansexual
    • I never identified strongly with any label
    • I never identified strongly with any label until identifying as asexual
    • Other, please explain

This poll is closed to new votes

The poll I feel is pretty self explanatory.

It should be set so it is a "check all that apply" than a "choose the one that best describes you."

Not sure if 6, 7 are redundant, or not...at the time it seemed to make sense.

I would prefer to have a more exhaustive list, but even with 10 questions with up to 20 choices I am not sure it would be enough to have a complete list of the possible combinations.

To anwser my own question when I was trying to figure my own sexuality out I considered it possible I could be a lesbian, yet I knew that didn't make anymore sense than me identifying as heterosexual and if neither category seemed to fit bisexual sure as hell didn't work.

So I think I pretty much didn't identify strongly as anything until coming across asexuality.

Before identifying myself as an asexual, I self identified as a homosexual. ^_^

I went with heterosexual, seeing it as a 'default' until I passed the point where I wasn't going to 'bloom', but I didn't feel more than a passing connection to it.

I voted 1 and 7

Until discovering asexuality last year, sexual orientation was something I only very rarely thought about - a few hours a year, if that. But in that time I vaguely considered I was heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual - but I never really identified with any of them at all strongly. So I only voted for "I never identified strongly with any label until identifying as asexual".

I put "I never identified strongly with any label until identifying as asexual" because I never had a relationship or anything and never even mentioned liking people to my friends or parents so I suppose everyone assumed I was straight. But to myself, I never thought "I'm straight" or anything, I was ambivalent about sexual identity until starting college. Then I thought I might be bisexual, learning towards lesbian, since I had romantic crushes. But sex never played a role in my "crush" thoughts. So I was pretty unsure until I discovered...asexuality! And AVEN. And now I identify as a panromantic asexual.

I always figured that I was Heterosexual since I've only ever been with guys. I still feel that I'm somewhat Heterosexual, but it really doesn't matter because I am asexual and like to have friendship relationships with both guys and girls. I still am not sure about romantic relationships, because with a romantic relationships I always have the thought in the back of my head that they will want to have sex eventually.

I'm tempted to vote "I never identified strongly with any label until identifying as asexual", I identified strongly as asexual for a period of time after learning of asexuality, but to be honest I don't really feel comfortable within the asexual community all that much these days. Calling myself asexual feels awkward.

I always knew I wasn't typically heterosexual, and didn't really fit 100% with other sexualities that I came across, but wasn't all that bothered by it.

So, voted "I never identified strongly with any label."

Nalle Neversure

"I never identified strongly with any label."

I had never thought about labels before learning about asexuality and so far it fits the best, but *shrug*

I'm me, very much not normal and somehow most abnormal among asexies.

CrazyCatLover

I never identified with a label until asexual. If someone asked me what my orientation was, I would have probably replied "heterosexual."

Sexuality never came up for me until I started to wonder why I wasn't doing what other people my age were doing, around 11th or 12h grade.. I would adamantly deny being gay, but that's about the only time it ever came up. I never really "felt" straight though. I never really associated with any sexual orientation until I learned about asexuality.

Before identifying as asexual I identified as a pansexual. I seem to be the only one at this point. However, I did always know that I didnt want to have sex, for some time I just didnt know what asexuality is.

I just called myself heterosexual since I had a couple of crushes on guys, but never on girls. Even then my crushes were kind of weak and I was never interested sexually.

Didn't self-identify before; I was waiting to find out what I was, though I did expect I'd probably be straight as I knew that was statistically more likely. Thought I was a late bloomer. When I strongly suspected I wasn't going to develop sexual attraction I googled 'asexual', supposing that would be a good word to describe my orientation, and the rest is history. :)

I chose the option that I didn't strongly identify with anything.

I identified as "straight" up until I was about 13 or 14. Around that age, I began to notice girls in a different way than I had seen them before and I started to wonder if I was actually bisexual. I didn't want to experiment, though, so I stuck with dating men. I still liked to "admire" women through all of that, though, and since I hated the sex I was having with my boyfriend, I wondered if I was actually a lesbian.

Up until I discovered that the "asexual" orientation was more than I had originally thought it was, I was identifying as "pansexual" (though I preferred the term "anthrosexual" due to negative connotations that 'pansexual' sometimes has because it is kind of misunderstood).

...So, basically, I had considered everything else before labelling myself a bi-romantic asexual. :D

I thought I was going to be hetro when I grew up, but I didn't consider myself as such, because orientation was only something that mattered when you grew up.

I had been thinking of myself as bisexual with some sort of depression (thus the lack of sexual attraction) but I hadn't 'come out' to anyone, so I checked the "bisexual" and "never identified strongly until IDing as asexual" boxes

I had to vote for other because I'm dumb. lol Because I already used the word asexual before I knew it was a "real" word. But then after I voted I realized that made no sense since that was not the question. :wacko: (I think I should go have lunch, lack of food is making me way too slow. O.o) So I should have voted hetero since it was default. And that's what I took for granted as a "when I grow up it will happen" kind of thing.

Straight but potentially bi. I realise now that I could imagine sex with another woman because I see sex as separate to the rest of romance/relationships. Today I identify as straight/asexual.

I didn't think about it enough to identify as anything until I discovered asexuality.

The Slimeinator

I voted for "not identified." Some people had the impression that I was homosexual, but whenever I tried to tell them I wasn't they thought I was some crack addict. :blink:

mad_scientist

I kind of hovered between heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality. I wasn't attracted to men... I must be homosexual. Wait, i wasn't attracted to women either... maybe I was heterosexual. I know; I'm attracted to them equally; I'm bisexual! But I only get crushes on men...

When I first thought about it, I decided I was bisexual, because I didn't prefer one gender over another. Then I learned of the term pansexual, so I used that instead, because gender didn't matter to me at all. Luckily, I later realised I was actually asexual.

Archived