Asexuality Aotearoa New Zealand

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

I was just randomly looking up asexuality on myspace, when i came across a website for New Zealander asexuals.
I'm sure most asexuals have heard of the New Zealand soapie called Shortland Street..and how the character Gerald Tibbett
comes out as an asexual.
Well, apparently one of the editors in the august addition of "Gay Express" (probs a nz mag) states on Geralds asexuality:

"Is it so different for people to accept two men together? What is it about that which makes people so uncomfortable? A level of discomfort no less, that they would pull an interesting, full and complex storyline to replace it with something mundane?"

Rest of article here:
http://www.asexuality.org.nz/images/tvnz.jpg

2014 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, but here's the article:

zGjI19U.jpg

• 1 month later...
Missingpieces
I was just randomly looking up asexuality on myspace, when i came across a website for New Zealander asexuals.

I'm sure most asexuals have heard of the New Zealand soapie called Shortland Street..and how the character Gerald Tibbett

comes out as an asexual.

Well, apparently one of the editors in the august addition of "Gay Express" (probs a nz mag) states on Geralds asexuality:

"Is it so different for people to accept two men together? What is it about that which makes people so uncomfortable? A level of discomfort no less, that they would pull an interesting, full and complex storyline to replace it with something mundane?"

Rest of article here:

http://www.asexuality.org.nz/images/tvnz.jpg

Yeah that made me really angry. I can't believe how thoughtless some people can be.

Is it so difficult to for people to accept asexuality? That was plain rude.

Aah, when queers attack! :blink: I kind of get where she's coming from-- there aren't that many quality gay characters on TV, but since there were NO ace characters before Gerald, give me a break! Also, putting quotes around the word asexual is my pet peeve. You can stick those quotes where the sun don't shine. ;)

Asexuality is "mundane"? News to me.

Oh, well. We get cranky when a supposedly asexual character suddenly turns out to have been gay and in the closet; I can sort of see why the reverse would happen, also. When your group is underrepresented - as both asexuality and homosexuality are - you start to really get excited about people who might be from it.

Then again, is Shortland Street the place where I WANT to be represented in? Chances are the Ace is done as a gimmick anyway, counting down before he gets killed just like the gay male characters so the hets and lesbians can showcase what TRUE LOVE is about.

Gag

• 3 months later...
Violet_Loves_Iliona
Then again, is Shortland Street the place where I WANT to be represented in? Chances are the Ace is done as a gimmick anyway, counting down before he gets killed just like the gay male characters so the hets and lesbians can showcase what TRUE LOVE is about.

Gag

I'm actually so very, very INCREDIBLY HAPPY with how they have dealt with Gerald and the asexual storyline - fantastic! :)

I LOVE it in letters five feet high! :)

Violet

Archived