What formerly AVEN-recognized Asexuality type?

Kaisharga

Hey! I'm:  

1. 1.

• Type A: Drive yes, Attraction no--Sex is good, but why do I need another person?
    • Type B: Drive no, Attraction yes--I bond intimately with others, but keep the pants on please
    • Type C: Drive yes, Attraction yes--Sex is fun, and I 'click' with other people, but the two parts are like apples and oranges, minus the citrus.
    • Type D: Drive no, Attraction no--No real need for other people at all, and by all means why would I want to do *that?*
    • Stop trying to pigeonhole me, you insensitive bastard! ;o;

This poll is closed to new votes

funny thing...

can I take back my vote???

I made a mistake... :roll: come to think of it... I hesitated... maybe that wasn't a mistake after all...

I always thought I was a D but recently I started having doubts and now I don't know where I belong.

Yeah, you'd need a whole new category which is, "I'm too confused to know." Otherwise you should substract one vote from "C" that was an accident :D

Cate Perfect

I don't have a problem with people using the type system--I love organisation, after all--just so no one thinks their type is the only 'true' form of asexuality.

Cate

Ignoring the "there-are-no-types" philosophy for a moment, I most closely classify myself within the D-range. I have a couple of close friends for companionship, but I am not attracted to any gender.

Ranges...types...categories...groups... does it really matter what we call them?

Would you really want to say there are different categories of asexuals?

Well, yes. You must admit that the terms have different connotations. Where the others imply unchanging status, "range" implies a spectrum that has room for change.

*shrug* I guess I'm just arguing semantics. I do know what you mean, I'm just...picky, I guess.

Live R Perfect

I see what you mean now Julie...

Maybe instead of saying "I am in the a/b/c/d range of asexuality" we should say "I am in the a/b/c/d region of the asexuality spectrum"

Edit: No...that still doesn't allow for people who identify as different / multiple 'ranges'. Better to say "Right at this moment I identify with the a/b/c/d region of the asexuality spectrum"

*sigh* I know, it makes for wordy descriptions.

That's why I don't really choose any of the above anymore. It's just easier for me to say, "I'm asexual," or "I'm queer," and leave it at that.

endofthespiral

I chose D, I don't feel physically attracted to people, nor do I feel the need to screw. I perfer solitude over public places or meetings with people. I come here because there is an e-barrier between myself and others and at any point I can simply switch you all off. I don't form bonds with people, I can become friends with people but I don't consider friends to be permanant (spelling?). I'm always ready to break ties with everyone I know and begin anew. I also don't keep in contact with my family. I work and go home and sit by myself. So basically I have "suppliers", co-workers, and associates; that's about it.

• 2 months later...

I picked B

I say this because I find myself "drawn" to people, male or female, in such a way that all I want to do is hug them or lie against them. I am big on human contact!

Does that count as attraction?

Going by the descriptions, I'd say I'm closest to "B", but, as others have said, I'm not sure if these categories are really that useful or accurate.

I agree that wanting a relationship and wanting sex are not completely linked, and that its important to distiguish between them, but it would probably be better expressed on a scale or graph, since nothing is really absolute with sexuality.

Chameleonthing

I'm with Kamikola... too confused to really vote at the moment.

I'd say generally B, but I have fantisized about one-night stands, where I perform some sensual/ kinky/ nonsexual acts on a semi-stranger, and I never have to see this person again, so maybe I'm C. I might be a repressed A. Then again, I'm very happily single right now, so perhaps I'm a D.

...I don't knowwwww!

• 3 months later...

I can quite happily place myself in the D pigonhole.

I'm not going to quibble about the unfortunate wording, since thats been dealt with, however a life without anyone and I would go mad.

Sorry to bring up the "don't pigonhole me" discussion again, but the way I see it the whole thing is a five dimensional spetrum and a mess. Catargories don't exisit, we just made them up. But they are useful for most people, most of the time.

I think Cate made a good point earlier about it stopping people think their "type" was the true one.

I remember when I first starting wandering though the forums I was utterly confused, because everyone seemed to be contradicting each other. I often thought to myself, this person can't be asexual, until I realised there were different "types". (wrong of me I know, but you couldn't blame a girl who'd just come from a lonely pigonhole without a name)

Basically what I'm trying to say is this is complex, and the only way we can start to make sense of things is to give them names.

And no, I don't go around grouping people as I come across them. I'm just aware that they're different and that's ok.

Sorry if I've gone off on one there, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Live R Perfect
...the way I see it the whole thing is a five dimensional spetrum and a mess.

Oooh, FIVE dimensions? :) What are the 5 dimensions you refer to?

Mostly I'm Type B - I definately love people and want to be close to them, I'm just not sexually attracted to them and have no interest in having sex with them.

At times I may be on the edge close to Type C because I get confused when I want to be close so badly and sometimes kissing and sex or just having someone attracted to me seems a way to make a connection - but when it comes down to really doing it - I don't want to.

I have only felt what I would call sexual attraction once or twice in my life and I never followed through on those feelings because they were never at an appropriate time or to a person who reciprocated.... and they never lasted more than a few seconds.

But in my past, before I was married, I would kiss and be physically close to boyfriends anyway (never had sex before married), and when I didn't feel any pleasure in it and didn't get the intimate bond I wanted, I really regretted it.

I also thought when I got married and had sex everything would be fall into place. I have the intimate bond I've always wanted with my husband but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with our sexual relationship!

I wonder if that earlier disapointment in such physical closeness led to strengthen my asexuality now that I'm older. Hmmm...

As for the categorizing of people - I don't mind it so much. I'm fine with bouncing around in there if it happens... But having taken the personality test from the other thread, I think different people are just more or less inclined to like to understand things in an organized way where as others feel confined.

hawke

...the way I see it the whole thing is a five dimensional spetrum and a mess.

Oooh, FIVE dimensions? :) What are the 5 dimensions you refer to?

I was hoping no one would pick up on that :( . I just sort of estimated it, but I knew is was bigger than three.

Let me think...

Well, it depends on what you're talking about and what you consider relevent. Take the whole sexuality thing (and I know people won't agree with this, I'm not sure I do):

Firstly there's the whole hetro-bi-homo line. Then the sexual-asexual scale. But within that you can subdivide into drive and attraction. Also, you could consider the indifferent-replused one.

How am I doing so far...I think it's 4.

If I was pushed, my next thought would be to consider (mental) gender, but I hesitate in including that now.

These are just the things people have tried to group. You could gone on subdividing and grouping until everyone was an individual again.

And then that's even an oversimplication, and only a model.

I was just trying to say that we can't really comprehend in more the 3D.

I study maths, so I'm used to working in n-dimensional space, but only well behaved space. I my mind the axis, of my now 4D space, aren't even orthogonal!

Live R Perfect

I would love to be able to think in more than 3 dimensions...

I think if we were to try and model sexuality as a whole in a way that people could understand visually, then you would have to break it down into 2 or 3 main aspects, each of which could be represented by a 2 or 3D model with axes relating to yet more subdivisions.

No matter how you try though, it's never going to be very easy to comprehend sexuality as a whole.

• 6 years later...

I'm a type B.

Growing up I constantly had crushes on boys or music or movie stars. A new one every month! But I never had sexual thoughts. Let's just say that my romantic fantasies were always like a PG rated movie... I would skip the actual act and move on to the next scene.

And I didn't realize it may become an issue until I met the love of my life and he is sexual. It has been 20 years and nothing has changed except for the fact that I no longer crush on new boys every month and perhaps that I'm even less willing to 'compromise'(have sex) in our relationship than before.

Things are tough and now to show I still love him and us, we are now attending psycho-sexual therapy. Why? Because I wish I liked sex and could understand what all the fuss is about. It would also make my marriage perfect. But I doubt anything will come out of it as I don't think I became this way... I just am. I don't think I'm meant to be 'fixed' in any sort of way. I really don't think I will be having any breakthrough triggered by a repressed memory caused by a trauma........ Really. No.

Archived