US Election 2008 live thread

Eddie7

You voted in a Starbucks? :blink: Well, I voted in a church, so I wonder what's going to happen with my vote.

You're going to be excommunicated, you heathen! ;)

That is, if you voted for Obama. McCain voters get an instant ticket to heaven.

You voted in a Starbucks? :blink: Well, I voted in a church, so I wonder what's going to happen with my vote.

That is, if you voted for Obama, McCain voters get an instant ticket to heaven.

Now now... I don't think...'god'...plays politics... In fact the Bible specifically says he recognises no government of man.

scariness people!

i just got off the phone with a friend in Ohio. He and his wife tried to vote earlier today but were told that the computers showed that they had already voted. Needless to say, they raised sand as did a some other people who were told that they could not vote because their records showed that they had already voted. After the loud complaints, the people were given provisional ballots to be filled out and were told that they could file a complaint in 10 days. WTF??!

oy vey that sounds like a horror story.

I know here in Boston no one I talked to, as of yet, had to show any identity at all.

Now now... I don't think...'god'...plays politics... In fact the Bible specifically says he recognises no government of man.

In 2004 there were a lot of news stories about churches threatening to excommunicate members who voted for John Kerry.

Seriously!

That is, if you voted for Obama. McCain voters get an instant ticket to heaven.

:lol: I'm going to hell ...but so are you, so I feel fine with my decision. :D

Oh yeah. Tell that to the people who vote Yes on Proposition 8. (California measure)

In 2004 there were a lot of news stories about churches threatening to excommunicate members who voted for John Kerry.

Seriously!

The bible also says that all authority is appointed by God, and should be obeyed religiously.

SpirallingSnowy

Compulsory voting works over here because of the apathy.... if it wasnt compulsory then id shudder as to who would bother.

The compulsory factor makes people pay more attention to the people who will be in charge of their electorate and actually take part in choosing which party they want.

I know for a fact that my father sometimes donkey votes ( blank ballot, gets his name marked off etc) becasue he doesnt like either party. He does, however, vote for his councilor representitves for our local election, or if he really beleives someone is worthy of leading this country.

Ive counted votes twice before, and the most recent one, i was the person marking names off . My electorate is small adn i was in a booth in a location that most people were for a larger electorate ( people who came could be from 2 diff electorates). I had about 700 votes to count for both federal and councilors. two ballot papers. about 10 piles of paper on the floor. polling booths were closed at 6pm and i was home by 8.30 pm.

Ive also not voted cos ive forgotten or couldnt get there. Local election i got fined $50, Federal i got fined $20.

Some people would rather get fined. Some people would rather wander down to the local school and get their named marked off.

I think its incredulous that people abstain from voting and dont get fined or anything. but thats the system ive grown up with. If all Americans voted, then one could be assured that everyone had their say, and if you still wanted to abstain you could, but atleast those who were couldnt be bothered going through the process of getting on the roll, could still vote.

here you send in a form when you are 18, and updated it is you change address. at each electoral booth, there is facilities if for some reason you are not on the roll and forms etc.

No shennanigans lol

If i was allowed to vote, i would vote Obama....

I think this is another problem with our voting process: I had to vote on 22 city propositions, 12 state propositions, and many of my local officials. It was impossible to be well-informed about every single one of these. People were obviously overwhelmed this year by all the different things to vote on, and I think that in those cases, it's easier to convince people to vote for something based on possibly spurious reasons. (For example, see PG&E's huge campaign to keep their monopoly over our utilities, which totally ignores the issue at hand, which is clean energy. It worries me how many people probably believe what they're saying, but when you have 34 propositions to vote for, it's a relief to be told how to vote.)

I actually had to set some time aside to check out the Yes/No reasons for the majority of the measures, because some of them, I just didn't know enough about. I agree that there are just way too many propositions to vote on. I did leave some of my responses blank. For instance, there were 2 city measures that I didn't know how to vote on, so I left it blank. I think it's better to not put a vote on something if you really don't know or understand what the cause is for.

SpirallingSnowy
I think this is another problem with our voting process: I had to vote on 22 city propositions, 12 state propositions, and many of my local officials. It was impossible to be well-informed about every single one of these. People were obviously overwhelmed this year by all the different things to vote on, and I think that in those cases, it's easier to convince people to vote for something based on possibly spurious reasons. (For example, see PG&E's huge campaign to keep their monopoly over our utilities, which totally ignores the issue at hand, which is clean energy. It worries me how many people probably believe what they're saying, but when you have 34 propositions to vote for, it's a relief to be told how to vote.)

Thats insane!!!

The mind boggles, seriously. That would be the biggest timewaster, trying to choose.

We elect the people to represent us. And its either Local, State, or Federal. Usually none of them coincide with each other, but sometimes they do.

I think the sheer number of stuff you have to vote on would turn people away who would normally want to choose just for president.

Just... wow...

My US friend in my class was saying that you have to vote on all sorts of stuff on a local level, which we dont get any say in, we jsut choose the people who make the decisions. But everyone gets to choose those people within that electorate...

And judges! She says you get to choose judges! Our judges just apply for the job, we dont get to vote on them either.....

Yeah, I left a few blank, too. We had a proposition to rename our sewage treatment plant after GW Bush. I really wasn't sure about that. As far as all these propositions go, I guess it's good to feel like you have more power over what happens. And granted, not all of the measures require that much prior knowledge (although some do). I think we should probably cap the number of propositions, but not get rid of them.

SpirallingSnowy

Are you serious??? renaming a sewerage plant is something you have to vote on?? * shakes head*

This little aussie is seriously stunned lol.

Still no surprises:

SOUTH CAROLINA (8) - Projected for McCain.

I'm confused...does this mean that McCain is projected to win S. Carolina? What is the eight for? Why is it in brackets?

The 8 is the number of electoral college votes that SC has.

Big one just in:

PENNSYLVANIA (21) - Projected for Obama.

Almost no scenario where McCain can win at this point.

Edit: Tons more rolling in now:

MAINE (4) - Obama

TENNESSEE (11) - McCain

MARYLAND (10) - Obama

NEW JERSEY (15) - Obama

ILLINOIS (21) - Obama

OKLAHOMA (7) - McCain

CONNECTICUT (7) - Obama

MASSACHUSETTS (12) - Obama

Totals:

Obama - 88

McCain - 34

Are you serious??? renaming a sewerage plant is something you have to vote on?? * shakes head*

This little aussie is seriously stunned lol.

We can vote on anything if enough people want to vote on it (you have to collect a certain number of signatures). I think it's kinda cool, actually...this sewage plant thing, although I think it's kind of silly, was totally grassroots, which I always have to give some props to.

what networks are people watching? I just switched back and forth between ABC and NBC and one was saying too close to call and the other was saying Obama got Penn...

what networks are people watching? I just switched back and forth between ABC and NBC and one was saying too close to call and the other was saying Obama got Penn...

I'm using the BBC mostly. They are using ABC for most of their projections.

I like how they start calling states with 1% of precincts reporting. Har, har. Good to hear though, Eddie! (At least from my view ;-) I'm looking at the MSNBC online feed map thingie.

It's so misleading looking at results so soon... maybe I should do something for a couple hours then check. All I know is I desperately don't want to go home and listen to that racket, but alas... tis laundry night!

On CBS, they are saying that Pennsylvania is too close to call right now.

ya that was what I was referring to... what to believe, what to believe...

Indeed. Obviously there will be some disparity between networks. ABC and NBC have both called it.

I'm sticking largely to one (BBC/ABC) as otherwise I'll end up in a confusing mess.

http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab...mp;promo_msg=el

U.S. President - Electoral College

Obama (D) - 78

McCain ® - 34

270 votes needed for presidency

Popular vote - 13 states reporting

Candidates % Votes

McCain ® 46% 3,666,260

Obama (D) 53% 4,194,727

Barr (I) 0% 30,588

Nader (I) 0% 18,976

haha I guess I'll stick to ABC for now, just to ensure I don't confuse myself :P

also there's a larger Blue number which I'm liking!

Archived