US Election 2008 live thread

Eddie7

john-mccain-barack-obama.jpg

So here we are. Today is the day of the final showdown. John 'Old Coot' McCain squares off against Barack 'The Messiah' Obama to determine just who will inherit the crap Bush has left for the next four years.

Voting is underway. Ideally, this thread will be kept up to date with everything as it happens, although it's more likely to descend into either a celebration or a mutual drowning of sorrows.

From what I can tell, Obama is already leading by 16 votes to McCain's 5. Whether or not the remaining 140 million or so make a difference remains to be seen.

Had to giggle when they interviewed Sarah Palin and someone asked who she'd voted for...come on, get real, she isn't going to vote for the opposition, is she!

Well..Looks like the voter turnout at least should be better than previous elections. Everyone seems hopefully about the number of people who have been out waiting to vote since early hours of the morning.

I ofc, am going to be in trouble at uni tomorrow because ill be up from midnight - 6am watching the results come in ^^

Well, I'm off to vote here in VA!! C'mon VA...think BLUE!!! Hopefully it's not TOO crazy out there!!! If anything interesting occurs I'll let everyone know!!!

Me too, in Washington. West Coast polls close at 4 AM GMT. But nobody ever pays attention to us on the West Coast because it's always decided by then. Carter's victory was announced before half of us had voted.

But I'm off to vote and I'm SURE I'll win it for Obama. -_-

Sarah Palin's apparently told a reporter she hopes to wake up as VP-elect tomorrow.

Dream baby dream.

I went to vote early today (8:30 am). It only took about 45 minutes. I was surprised that it didn't take longer since the line was pretty long.

I went to vote early today (8:30 am). It only took about 45 minutes. I was surprised that it didn't take longer since the line was pretty long.

It's pushing a box on a screen, isn't it?

How long can that take?

Cross posted from mtwieg's election thread on ddrfreak:

VOTER SUPPRESSION UPDATE:

We'll start off with ffffflorida

Florida dems being told they can vote by phone, lol

Tons of shit in florida, including people going through black neighborhoods claiming that anyone who tries to vote while having outstanding debts or parking tickets or child support dues or whatever will be arrested at the polls (blatantly false).

New Florida law makes it so people with funny names have a decent chance of being denied votes (for having funny names)

McCain's campaign has sent out absentee ballots en masse to democratic/independent voters. The ballots, which are customized per each voter, all have incorrect information on them, so anyone using them not have their vote counted

This is a zinger here. Not only have a bunch of kids developed a virus that can totally frick a diebold machine's votes, the key to the machine has been copied after Diebold posted pictures of it on their website.

Virginia students being falsely told they can't register to vote with their dorm addresses

The New Mexico GOP is hiring private investigators to basically harass minority voters who were tracked with illegally gained information

Holy loly. Flyer in virginia says democrats will be voting on the 5th due to high voter turnout

Diebold vote flipping caught on video

REMINDER: Virtually all attempts to supposedly curb voter fraud are actually veiled attempts to suppress voters.

Also I'm not usually THAT biased, but I literally haven't heard of anything that targets GOP demographics. Post it if you find it.

Had to giggle when they interviewed Sarah Palin and someone asked who she'd voted for...come on, get real, she isn't going to vote for the opposition, is she!

She probably wrote her own name in for president.

Off to work...back later when the action starts! :)

How long can that take?

Pusing a box on a screen? Where are you voting? :lol: Oh wait...you aren't even the US. Anyways, for where I voted it's inking a paper ballot. And, I live in Los Angeles, so it can take very long.

It's not fair. I've had to put up with every excrucatingly boring moment of the longest presidential campaign in the istory of the world, broadcast on all the media here...and I can't even VOTE!!

Do you think if I ask McCain nicely, he'll give me his vote to use?

For Obama, of course...

Well, voting was pretty painless for me. There really wasn't anyone there..no wait AT ALL! Apparently my dad had about a 30min. wait this AM, but my mom went a little bit later and didn't have any wait. We had the electronic ballots, so all I had to do was check a couple boxes and hit vote! Can't wait to start seeing results come in!!!

Thank god it's over. I'm sick of hearing about it, and I'll be sick of hearing about it for the next two months as well.

SpirallingSnowy

How long can that take?

Well, voting was pretty painless for me. There really wasn't anyone there..no wait AT ALL! Apparently my dad had about a 30min. wait this AM, but my mom went a little bit later and didn't have any wait. We had the electronic ballots, so all I had to do was check a couple boxes and hit vote! Can't wait to start seeing results come in!!!

Electronic Voting??? Push a button on a screen???

*head explodes*

wow..... we have paper ballots, and giant paper ones at that. And only usually 2 or something unless there is a nation referendum.....

A friend in my class who is American tried to explain how the system works over there but i got so confused.... its just so different to us....

john-mccain-barack-obama.jpg

Kiss, dammit!

Winner!.....?

The USA used to have a glow; The land of freedom, used to inspire hope for a better future.

What happened ?

Colonisation.

I got a random text message earlier that said, "the lines are too long... so offices will open on Wednesday for those voting for McCain."

The USA used to have a glow; The land of freedom, used to inspire hope for a better future.

What happened ?

The glow was actually all the radioactive dumps from our nuclear power plants. The Bush Administration plowed over them as a means of safe disposal. :rolleyes:

SlightlyMetaphysical
I got a random text message earlier that said, "the lines are too long... so offices will open on Wednesday for those voting for McCain."

Ahh, that's reassuringly good politics. :D

Archived