Causes or Types of Asexuality?

Causes or Types  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Causes or Types - which do you think exist?

• Repulsed by sex due to early (remembered) experience
    • Repulsed by sex possibly due to early experience but not consciously remembered
    • Cannot accept being bisexual or homosexual, so have completely repressed sexuality
    • No interest in sex (possible hormonal cause)
    • Sex is painful due to physical issue
    • Asperger's Syndrome related
    • Others?
  2. 2. Cause / Type - which are you?

• None - I am not asexual
    • Repulsed (with memory of why)
    • Repulsed (no memory of why)
    • Confused/Bi/Homosexual and therefore repressed sexuality
    • Not interested in sex
    • Sex is painful due to physical issue
    • Asperger's Syndrome related
    • Other?

First of all let me say I am still quite new here. I have read a lot but there is SUCH a vast amount of material on this forum that I am sure I have barely scratched the surface.

I am so far getting the impression that within asexuality there are a number of different types / causes, and I would be interested in compiling a list / understanding more about this....

I don't believe there is a "reason" that I'm asexual. I just am. Does something happen to "cause" one to be heterosexual (or any other orientation)?

This poll bothers me because there's no "I'm asexual for the same reason people are gay/straight/bi/whatever- it's just my orientation, it's how I was born" choice. Yeah, I'm sure things can cause it, but looking for a cause without giving a "no, this is just how I am" feels like it's saying "oh, you aren't really, you just had this happen, otherwise you'd be perfectly normal, because everyone normal wants sex". I mean, are you tracking down a straight forum and saying "why are you heterosexual? Can you think of any causes?"

I'm repulsed asexual. Yeah, I was sexually abused- but I was repulsed before that happened. It's just how I am. There's no horrible cause or anything like that. It's just how I am, and it's how I would be even if I lived the happiest, healthiest life ever.

This poll bothers me because there's no "I'm asexual for the same reason people are gay/straight/bi/whatever-

Surely, heterosexuality is caused by hormones, therefore the hormone option is the one you are looking for?

This poll bothers me because there's no "I'm asexual for the same reason people are gay/straight/bi/whatever-

Surely, heterosexuality is caused by hormones, therefore the hormone option is the one you are looking for?

So there are different hormones in people of different orientations? Where is your evidence that gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, autosexual, and demisexual people have different hormones that cause you to have that orientation? You can't change who you're attracted to. If I was given the "right" hormones I wouldn't turn straight- I'd turn into an asexual with an even more annoying libido.

And as long as I brought up evidence, so as not to be a hypocrite:

Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.
http://www.apa.org/topics/sorientation.html

I always had big problems with gender identity especially when puberty came around. I chose Other for both options because it is my state of mind.

I have never been interested in sex, outside of intellectual curiousity. I have no tramatic sex-related experiences in childhood, and the one I had in adulthood was because I was not interested in sex already (already asexual). My hormones are "normal" for a female.

As a side note, I don't feel my soul fits the body I'm inhabit in many aspects, but overall I am comfortable with the body I'm in. I consider myself Otherkin, but that's unlikely to affect my sexuality or lack thereof.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

My parents hypothesized that I took their no-unsafe-sex talks when I was an adolescent way too far, and that's why I'm repulsed. Actually, I don't think I was repulsed when they gave me those talks; I was just disinterested. As I grew older and started realizing how sexualized society is and that I should be included in that, I started noticing how disgusting I found the idea of engaging in sex.

metalgirl2045

I doubt that scare talks on unsafe sex can turn someone asexual, if that was the case then abstinence only sex education would work brilliantly.

It's possible that my asexuality is due to a hormonal things. A few months ago, I got checked out for high prolactin (for reasons not related to orientation). The tests came back normal, apparently, but a few weeks later I heard from someone on here that high prolactin could possibly contribute to asexuality.

So maybe it's imbalanced hormones.

I also feel at least part of the question is kind of uncomfortably worded. I guess I just don't necessarily feel like there has to be a "cause" for being asexual, or repulsed asexuality. Contributing factors, sure, like trauma or (like in my case) hormones, but the word cause seems a little... singular. Too strong.

Regardless of 'cause' or contributing factors, I'm okay with my asexuality. And if it is hormones, I'd be willing to take the pills or whatever. But if it's not hormones or if the pills are expensive or seem like a bad idea, it wouldn't bother me to keep going on like this. Just knocks down my relationship possibilities by a few dozen points. But I'm getting used to the idea.

Mimicking Sanity

I doubt that there has to be a reason for everything.

Regarding myself, my asexuality may just be a mere coincidence to my misanthropic schizoid nature. Do they really have to be related? I don't match them, either way.

I wasn't abused as an infant - Quite the opposite. My life was painfully comfortable. I wasn't 'cocooned' from the world and 'it's evil ways'; I was merely a spectator. Any injuries were through my own clumsiness, and the same applies to mental injuries.

I can't explain why I'm a Repulsed Asexual, for that reason.

I accept the possibility that I'm a 'Late-bloomer', a term which I hate. However, I'm getting older all the time, and time's running out for that to be the case.

I'm happy as an asexual, even if I'm just a temporary one. I wouldn't want anything to change it.

The only reason I can think of (in my own personal experience) is a hormonal cause. I've gone off the "doubter's checklist" and crossed off things that don't apply to me - never been sexually abused, never been punished for sexual thoughts or feelings, never been scarred or traumatized as a result of seeing or doing something sexual, my parents were open about sex but did not push it on me, I was comfortable identifying as lesbian and bisexual until I realized it didn't fit and I continue to be active in the LGBT community as an ally, have not been diagnosed with Asperger's, Autism, Schizoid personality, or any other disorder. I am not repulsed by sex, I just have never had an interest in it. One thing someone could use as "ammo" to prove that I wasn't born this way is the idea that I may have a hormonal imbalance, and that's why I'm going to get my hormone levels tested the next time I go to the doctor. I'm sick of having to listen to (or read about) people who doubt that asexuality is a genuine orientation because "such and such could have happened to cause it." It doesn't cross their minds that a perfectly well-developed human being could lack a sex drive. I just hope I *don't* have some kind of hormonal problem, because then I'll look like a big ol' fool. :blush:

ETA: Oh, and Mimicking Sanity brought up the "late-bloomer" thing. I guess that's a possibility, depending on how late we're talking. I'm 21, and I started going through puberty when I was 10. That's 11 years of failing to feel attracted in any way to another human being. How much longer am I supposed to wait? <_<

For the second poll I wanted to choose 'Not interested' and 'Aspergers' but I could only choose one so I chose Aspie. Honestly I don't know if my asexuality is a result of my (very probable but not yet diagnosed) Aspergers, but there seems to be a lot of people who are asexual and Aspie so I wasn't sure.

So there are different hormones in people of different orientations?

I very much doubt that people of differing sexual orientations have DIFFERENT hormones, but I suspect that they may have EITHER

1) Different levels of the same hormones

2) Experienced different levels of certain hormones during certain periods of life, for example in the womb

I am not a research scientist and this is merely opinion.

Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.http://www.apa.org/topics/sorientation.html

Fair point. Maybe instead of putting "hormones" I should have put "hormones or other unidentified biological factors"???

I also feel at least part of the question is kind of uncomfortably worded. I guess I just don't necessarily feel like there has to be a "cause" for being asexual, or repulsed asexuality.

Sorry for the poor wording. I did cast around for a better word than "cause" but at the time I couldn't think of one. Contributory factors was perhaps the phrase I was looking for.

2) Experienced different levels of certain hormones during certain periods of life, for example in the womb

P.S. There seem to be a lot of studies that suggest that hormonal influences during pregnancy can influence sexual orientation in later life.

e.g. http://www.news-medical.net/?id=18588 : "The findings clearly indicate that conditions in the womb before birth, and not the subsequent family environment, are responsible for whether a boy becomes gay."

Disclaimer: I am merely pointing out that this is a direction that research is indicating MAY be relevant with regard to homosexuality. I am not stating this as a fact...

There's no reason of being asexual at all. You just were born as an asexual person, that's all. Hormon level is something different than asexuality- it's a sickness or some problems with hormon regulation, and You can go to the doctor, take medicines to "fix" it so You stop being "asexual" when the problem is "fixed". Bad sexual memories are not the reason either. If You have some and are afraid or having sex or so, You should go to the psychologist and probably after therapy You will be sexual again. Celibacy is also other thing- You are not asexual, You just choose no having sex.

There's no reason of being asexual at all.

Well everything has a reason...

You just were born as an asexual person, that's all.

You can be born with biological characteristics; that does not mean there is no cause. There are genetic factors that determine certain things, there are hormonal and other environmental factors during pregnancy, etc...

There's no reason of being asexual at all.

You just were born as an asexual person, that's all.

You can be born with biological characteristics; that does not mean there is no cause. There are genetic factors that determine certain things, there are hormonal and other environmental factors during pregnancy, etc...

Yeah, right, but i meant You can't control or do anything else with Your orientation, You just were born as an asexual, hetero, bi, homo etc. You can do nothing with Your biological characteristics, it's just like it is, and even if You are trying to change it by taking medicines or doing other things, You still can't be sure it will work and You will become sexual.

Yeah, right, but i meant You can't control or do anything else with Your orientation, You just were born as an asexual, hetero, bi, homo etc. You can do nothing with Your biological characteristics, it's just like it is, and even if You are trying to change it by taking medicines or doing other things, You still can't be sure it will work and You will become sexual.[/color][/font]

Ah ... I completely agree with you Veisha. :)

metalgirl2045
I very much doubt that people of differing sexual orientations have DIFFERENT hormones, but I suspect that they may have EITHER

1) Different levels of the same hormones

Or the body reacting to hormones in an unusual way, I know that can cause someone to be intersex.

Or the body reacting to hormones in an unusual way, I know that can cause someone to be intersex.

Absolutely. Humans (like any species) are an incredibly complex biochemical mix of genes, hormones and many many other biological factors.

Yeah, but looking for one in this manner suggests that you think it's bad or wrong. If you have 2 children, one of whom's a well behaved little angel and the other is a complete monster who refuses to follow rules- people will look into what caused the second child to be how they are, but they wont' look into why the first child is so well behaved. They're already behaved, why should people look into something that isn't a problem? People only care about the cause if it's in some way detrimental so that they can prevent it from happening or even try to reverse it.

My biggest argument: I have yet to see one study on what causes people to be heterosexual, but I've seen plenty on trying to figure out what causes people to be other sexualities. This suggests that people see heterosexuality as the "right" one, and everything else is "wrong" so something must have gone wrong and this person has a probelm, rather tahn it's just how they are.

Yeah, but looking for one in this manner suggests that you think it's bad or wrong. If you have 2 children, one of whom's a well behaved little angel and the other is a complete monster who refuses to follow rules- people will look into what caused the second child to be how they are, but they wont' look into why the first child is so well behaved.

Well I'm sorry if you think that I think it's bad or wrong to be asexual. I do not, so hopefully stating that I do not will clear up any confusion.

I also think it would be fascinating to study why a well behaved child acts the way he or she does.

There is no reason I am asexual. I just am.

I have no bad experiences with sex (never had any), I was not abused or neglected as a child and I have never seen anything or had anything done to me that would put me off sex and make me repress all the sexual feelings society insists I should have.

I simply don't want to have sex

So what? There surely was a reason why it was raining in my town today. But we will never find out why.

Pretty insulting.

So...

Are you insulted by the questions? The use of the word "cause"? The thought that things can cause asexuality? Do you not like the font the OP used?

It's not really fair to have a post like that. I'm sure this topic wasn't meant to offend anyone.