If there was an 'asexual city', would you move there?

ily

Asexual City  

1. 1. Would you move to it?

• Yes, wherever it was
    • Yes, within my country
    • Yes, within my continent
    • Yes, hinging on another factor (please explain)
    • No
    • Other (please explain too!)

This poll is closed to new votes

Wouldn't the population of the city be in constant decline? lack of reproduction and all that.

Interesting point, but I don't think so. Sexual people still would 'reproduce' and for sure they would have some children that are asexual, so they would become habitants in this city.

Why would anyone want to move there? How can humanity embrace and understand each other when we divide ourselves? Second, even if you wanted to live in a community of people who were like-minded (with or without division from the rest of society), why would you do it with Asexuals? Aren't there better things, like your intellectual pursuits, or a cause you work for, or a favorite activity, that you'd rather base your life upon? I am really surprised by the poll results.

Yeah, well, I'm assuming that this hypothetical city would still have places where people could find work, activities, intellectual pursuits. I don't think the OP had in mind just a barren landscape with a bunch of asexuals standing around staring at one another and not doing anything.

It would probably be exactly like any city we have now, the only difference of the city would be that people would not view sex as a very important part of life and relationships. So as an asexual, you'd have a lot more in common with the people there. You wouldn't have to hide yourself anymore, or pretend to be "normal" all the time in an attempt to stop others from ridiculing you or not believing you exist. It would certainly take away a lot of the stresses that some asexuals will experience throughout their entire lifetime. And you could make friends with whom you can relate to better and be more open with. I always feel that there is a dividing barrier that stops me from getting close to friends because of my asexuality. I have not come out to all of them because I don't know how they'd react, and I can't relate to their experiences when they talk about their relationships, etc. It makes me feel really isolated sometimes. So I'd probably move there. Maybe not permanently, but for a while at least, to have a look around, and meet people with whom I can be myself 100%.

This hypothetical city would not be all asexuals, it would just have a high asexual population (much like San Francisco has a high homosexual population).

Nico-Nico Friendo

I'd like to live there if it's cheap, has lots of fun places to go, plenty of mental stimulation, a good university, good jobs, public transport, nature, etc.

And if there are not those things, I would at least visit.

silentdreamer

Yes, I would. But it depends on who "ruled" this city and what kind of rules there were. I'm not looking to join any cults or signing over my life, even if it's to a fellow ace :lol: But, if all was safe, I'd look into moving there. Though, I'd would be somewhere in my country because I have non-asexual friends and family and I'd like to be able to visit them or hang out with them without there being a huge issue of travel.

blushingivory

Nah. There are certain social pressures of being involved in a group let alone living in a community. If you understand what I'm saying? Like, I am an artist, but I would not want to live in an artist's community. I would like to be involved with the group but I like sort of being not known and left alone where I live. I don't tend to interact with neighbors or anything. Makes home quiet and completely different from the rest of your life, like a vacation from your life or something.

Jillianimal

I don't know about going as far as moving there but I would definitely visit.

Wings of a Dream

If it was in my country, I'd totally move to "the asexual city" (and enjoy the nice invasion XD). If it were any other country though, I'd have to decline my invitation; I like England far too much.

PatrickOOOMazing

i vote myself as leader

seriously though, its already underway

as for the point made earlier on, islands are cheap... assuming you are willing to bring in all manner of infrastructure.. water, sewage (which is likely more of an outgoing commodity), food, etc. an island can be had starting around 20k.

i would be keen to invade a city rather than build anew. someplace with some theater and scary restaurants that only the brave and fortified eat at

i think we might want to start smaller however. asexual cruise ships.

ooh the potential for double entendre in the slogans of the asexual cruise line.

• 1 month later...
This hypothetical city would not be all asexuals, it would just have a high asexual population (much like San Francisco has a high homosexual population).

Yep, that was my intention. This would be a city that already existed, we would just go there en masse so that we could have a big real-life asexual scene.

Yes, because the chances of meeting more asexuals would be increased. But I obviously want a place I actually liked (wheather, work prospects, quality of life, people, etc.). Maybe if I don't like it at all, I would prefer to remain where I am. Meeting other asexuals, although pleasant, is not something critical right now.

Great suggestion, though, it would be very nice if it happened sometime ;)

Such a place would not last forever, surely. The introduction of children would begin to lessen the amount of people that were asexual and thus the area might become just as any other. But in concept; it sounds like a place I would move to.

Good point.

However, human movility is really common in today's world, so I think people tend to migrate from their birthplace anyway. Also, if asexual couples do have sex and have children (which is what some asexuals want, for instance) the chances are their kids would be ace too (many discussions have lead to families with more than one ace, and I think genetics plays a role in asexuality).

Interesting, very interesting.

In any city, sexual people would be the majority, so I really doubt we would all die out. ^_^ We'd still be a minority-- just a sizable one.

PatrickOOOMazing

the same thing about a city full of asexuals dying out due to no reproduction could be said for aven

it just seems like a silly point to me, because if you truly believed it, and if it were cause for the major confusion in the point, then what are we all doing here? probably the same thing one would do in an asexual city. meeting people, carrying on.. i just dont see why the longevity of it is an issue.

kitchenwitch

I'd visit for weekends to stock up on cake. Can you imagine the bakeries in an asexual city? :cake:

carried in bags

but what if the city was rubbish? warwick seems the be the asexy capital of britain. it would be nice if i knew aces who lived near by and had them as friends as gay people often do

There are states whose population consists of celibate people and with no natality, e.g. the Vatican and Mount Athos, and they survive. An asexual city can survive.

If my friends would go with me, then yes, at least for a little while.

I'd get a big kick out of it :P

kitchenwitch, your post made me laugh so hard!

No, just like I don't understand some religion or way of living in a small exclusive community. I believe that the world is better if we share our thoughts and lives together as a whole, not separately.

• 1 month later...

I have no way of know ing for sure but due to the amount of people with aspergers and just the general level of intelligence that most of the asexual community seems to have the city would become a massive source of power and for some this may outsiders this may be less than ideal history has already shown us that the human race tends to fear what they do not know and I think if we gathered together and this intelligence went to some great lengths we might just be painting a big target on our backs, or that could just be the paranoia talking. Could also become just a normalish city without the sex but i would never go I quite like my sexual friends i find there constant fixxation hilarious :D

• 1 month later...

Well, in Second Life we're working on building one. But so far, every attempt made has been sexualised by someone. *rolls eyes*

If you've been in SL, you know what child avatars are (I hope), and we were going to try involving more of them in the city's first steps- as it's against the law to put one in a sexualised city and we wanted to ensure they're wouldn't be any people we couldn't ban from it (ie pervs). <-- and no, I won't take that 'pervs' back, so sue me and complain to the gov't.

Hopefully we'll get a city fully running soon... God knows we need it in SL.

Possibly, but the only things I tend to agree on with the the majority of active members comprising the AVEN community pertain to relationships, not religion and politics. I'm guessing that deciding how to run an entire city would result in an extreme headache for me, and I probably wouldn't be satisfied at all with the ultimate decisions (less so than I am with the current United States government). Plus, I think I'd be lonely.

Also, the majority of asexuals seem to be female, and I generally get along better with men- I don't know why, it's just something I've noticed about myself. Eh, maybe I could get along with asexual women since we all seem to be crazy cat ladies. :P (Jk.)

I voted yes, hinging on another factor, because there are certain places I don't think I could live, no matter how great the company was.

I don't think I can stay in my current city, for example. I need to live in a place where Persian spices are readily available, and fresh fruit doesn't rot before it ripens. Oh, and where it is not possible to get hypothermia and a sunburn on the same day...

Public transit is important too.

I think, if the city was London, Vancouver or Seattle, I would immediately move there. Tokyo or Hong Kong would also work, though I'd have to learn the language.

In real life, I want to bring up my future children in a place that isn't over-sexualised like I think our society has become (I'm in the UK). While I've never particularly wanted to leave the UK, I don't like this society. In all honesty, I don't know where I can go with my children where I can bring them up with better than that.

Edit- not just for the over-sexualising stuff... other things too

In_Omnia_Paratus

I would move there if I still had optimal access to my previous friends.

If I couldn't see them as often as I needed, then...no dice.

In_Omnia_Paratus
I'd visit for weekends to stock up on cake. Can you imagine the bakeries in an asexual city? :cake:

LOL I'm so with you on that one!

almost certainly will, as long as i can make my own living, in a reasonable likable job

I would if there were ample opportunity for work. I have a tough enough time getting a job in a populous city with tons of residents and businesses, I fear how I'd fare in a smaller city/town.

Archived