AVED

Lehcar

Alrighty guys - prepare yourself for my magnificent brilliantness.

Cole and I have been tossing around the idea of AVED (Cole thought of the name :P) for awhile - a day during the school year that students can celebrate and educate about asexyness. The official Asexuality Day is May 29th because that's the day that DJ created AVEN. However, that's not really useful for the school year, so we'd like to present a second asexy day.

Haven For the Human Amoeba (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/havenforthehumanamoeba/) - the Yahoo group that gave birth to AVEN, was founded October 12, 2000. And so....I introduce to you; AVED! (Asexuality Visibility and Education Day) is October 12th. This is the day to attack your schools with pamphlets and lectures - the day to add a little more education for your fellow students.

I know what you're going to say; 'Lehcar....isn't that a little soon?'

yes yes, I know that this is fast coming upon us, but I'm going to fight to make this an annual thing - so while this year anything prepared for AVED is going to be rushed, but in following years, we can have lots of fun with this. What this means is you students must work quickly! Don't worry, we'll help. ;)

What do you think?

EDIT: Alright guys - I have a letter made up that people can send to their uni pride organizations, or really any LGTBQ organizations in your area. Check it out and let me know if there are any heinous changes that need to be made. :P If not feel free to use this letter to catch the attention of your groups!

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is (insert your name here) – I am a member of an online forum known as AVEN – the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network.

The asexual community defines an asexual as someone who does not experience sexual attraction. Unlike celibacy, which is a choice, asexuality is a sexual orientation. Asexual people have the same emotional needs as everybody else and are just as capable of forming intimate relationships. However, since so few people are aware of asexuality as an orientation, many asexuals come to think of themselves as hopelessly different and unable to relate to their peers. Visibility goes a long way towards reaching out to these individuals, as well as educating the population in general about this little known orientation.

I’m contacting you to request your help in our work towards visibility and education. We’d really appreciate it if you could include asexuality within your LGBTQ society descriptions and resources. The best resource for the basics about asexuality can be found on the Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) at asexuality.org, where there are many FAQ pages to start you off. If you are further interested in asexuality, I direct you to Apositive.org, where the discussion goes beyond the basics and offers a multitude of links to other asexual resources.

Additionally, we’d like to invite you to join us in celebrating AVED – Asexuality Visibility and Education Day. In honor of the group that led to the creation of AVEN, AVED is on October 12th. Please help us out by organizing a lecture, handing out pamphlets, or even just telling someone new about asexuality on October 12th. Visibility and education resources can be found online at asexualiy.org. If you’d like to go further in educating yourself and others about asexuality, feel free to join the AVEN forums – we welcome all backgrounds, orientations, and identities.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Sincerely,

(insert your name here)

that I would love to help if I wasn't a closeted <for lack of better word> asexual T_T

but if this is going to be an annual thing then maybe in the years to come ^_^

blah I didn't help at all

Wow, that is really soon...

I shall choose that day to go to the counseling center and ask what they have decided to do with the AVEN pamphlets which I sent them...*checks email* ...on February 5th. I did receive a reply on Feb. 21st from the head of that office stating that he would share them with his staff and discuss how to work with them. But nothing seems to have happened since then...

Edit: I noticed that I had an email from the queer-straight alliance with the agenda for next meeting (including ideas for National Coming Out Day -- Oct. 10th). I let them know about AVED.

I think that is WONDERFUL. Having an "official day" for something is a great excuse to talk about it. Who would fight you to make this annual? I really hope it will be, and if there's a way I can help (I'm no longer in school), let me know.

Too late for this year for me, as my two lectures will be the 22 and 23 of October, but I will be fighting to do it again next year, for sure.

Thanks for posting this up, Lehcar. And, really, you deserve all the credit for getting on this. :)

SpirallingSnowy

yay! im glad a day has been decided!! *squee*

This yeah though, Oct 12 is a sunday :P

It's a brilliant idea, but yeah, I agree that anything done this year is going to be quite rushed.

I might try to do something if I can...

Hmm.. I just wanted to note that October 11 is National Coming Out Day. The LGBT community might therefore be a be a bit preoccupied with other projects on that weekend, and not able to give due attention to AVED.

In general, I really like the idea of an AVED though !

Cool idea, I hope this becomes a regular annual event!

I just wanted to note that October 11 is National Coming Out Day.
I suppose we could maybe link it in? people will be more accepting to more new ideas, so it could work in our favor, if we wanted it to.

We need to get AVED well publisized!

SlightlyMetaphysical

I'm not going to bother within my school, it's a tiny school, and it would just be kicking up a fuss over nothing. But when I go to uni next year, it'll be a different matter.

Okay... this school sucks. I'm missing the local (to college) PrideFest and National Coming Out Day over this. And I missed the pridefest in my hometown. Seriously, annoyance. And if we do get an AVED- they might have it so I'm not here for that next year or something, too.

Cool Lehcar!

I actually might randomly be back in Hali that day, though I know you've moved westward.

It does seem a bit rushed for this year, but otherwise great idea!

Nice work, Lehcar and Cole!

While I do like the idea of an asexual visibility day (heck, any visibility is great!), I do echo people's concerns about it being scheduled so close to National Coming Out Day. Perhaps it would be more efficient to work together with NCOD-folks to add asexuality to the program and possibly pick a different day for AVED?

Just a thought ...

~Carsonspire

I'm chill with moving AVED to another date, but I'm fresh out of ideas. We've been looking for a good date for weeks, and this was the first one that popped up during the school year. The trick is that I was hoping for a semi-significant day. But if it's a big concern, this proximity to Coming Out day, then we can look at other options. The other thing is that this is an international thing, so I'm not sure if we'll find a day that's not close to ANY national holidays. I am open to suggestions though!

In the meantime - students, can you send the template letter to your PRIDE organizations?

October 12? That's when Outfest is, isn't it? My Allies club is going to that... Man, I wish I had an asexy anything to show off there.

I realize this is very out there, but I haven't slept in 48 hours so let's take a trip.

Have you ever done that wonky letter to number thing with the alphabet where A is 1, B is 2, C is 3 and so on until Z is 26.

Well, if you take the phrase "Asexuals Party Hardest" and do the "letter math"--

Asexual totals 102= 1+0+2=3

Party totals 80= 8+0=8

Hardest totals 78= 7+8=15=1+5=6

So the phrase comes out to be 3+8+6, which equals 17, thus leading me to think that AVED should be on the seventeenth of any given month; I suggest November. After all, the juxtaposition of the Puritan values of Thanksgiving would mesh nicely with our "keep our pants on" A-genda.

Yes, this is what happens to me after two days without rest. So take it or leave it, I'm too addled for rationality at this point. Though if it's not too out there you might want to check the math.

That said, I'm off for an appointment with my mattress.

Hmm.. I just wanted to note that October 11 is National Coming Out Day.

All the more reason to have them around the same time! :) You know, ignoring the fact that tomorrow is October 12 and I'm in no position to start distributing pamphlets and letters around my school (seeing as I'm currently sitting at home in my pajamas :P). But the sentiment still stands. If I had bothered to join the Coming Out Week Committee at my school this year, I may have been able to incorporate some asexy-friendly events, but I couldn't make the meetings. Oh well. Maybe Pride Week (in April).

NEXT YEAR.

I think we should keep AVED on the 12th. I mean, it isn't the SAME day as National Coming Out Day, and it IS about being out, visible, and proud as an asexual, so... Really...

*Shrugs*

I think we should keep AVED on the 12th. I mean, it isn't the SAME day as National Coming Out Day, and it IS about being out, visible, and proud as an asexual, so... Really...

*Shrugs*

I agree with Coleslaw.

*Shrugs*

I agree with Coleslaw.

I agree as well.

I think that October 12th is a bad choice in order to be extended worldwide, since it's holiday in many Spanish-speaking countries.

• 3 months later...

Some of us were recently discussing a national asexual awareness day on the forum and they linked me to this. :D How about Oct 12 be National Asexual Awareness Day... but we'll just use AVED... which is pretty much what it is about, too. :)

What would we need to do to have a national awareness day?

• 3 weeks later...
carried in bags

i missed that...but sod it, everyday can be aved day. at least, every time im out drinking "can i have a look at your tattoos *gets out keyring torch* its alright, im asexual, your quite safe

• 2 years later...

Archived