Asexuality mentioned on Toronto radio

So on the radio station The Edge 102.1 (rock station) in Toronto, they were talking about Morrissey, and this came up.

Dean:...so there are these grown men, jumping up on stage, taking off their wedding rings, and giving them to Morrissey. I'm thinking to myself, "What are you guys doing?" My friend doesn't get it either; he's asexual.

Jason: Asexual? You mean like a worm?

Dean: No. He doesn't like men, he doesn't like women; it's not that he has anything physically wrong with him, it's just a matter of choice.

Jason: Really?

Dean: Yeah. He just has a strong aversion to that kind of stuff. Just like you have a strong aversion to playing tennis, or how I have a strong aversion to talking to my wife...

It was bizarre. This is a shock jock show, so I was expecting them to start mocking the guy, but it was all very matter-of-fact, like "Ah well, that's how it is." It was great though. :D

Pppffftt. "Like a worm"? Uh. If he's thinking earthworms, they're sexual creatures (a hermaphroditic species, actually.) So our friend Jason is ignorant about both asexual humans AND worms. Poor Jason.

Goodo, Tressa. I must learn more about this Morrissey individual. His name keeps popping up, yet I know next to nothing about him. Perhaps I ought to Google him.

Silly Green Monkey

I think there's a few articles about him in World Watch and the Library. You could start your search right here on AVEN.

Egad.

Yeah.. I don't feel stupid..

I don't listen to the radio much anyway, except in the car.

Oh - Julie, some worms reproduce asexually by fragmentation as well as hermaphroditically. So he's not a complete moron.

VivreEstEsperer

Wow, that's so cool! Good spot. Very awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
He hates David Bowie.

I hate him.

And Tressa - when were you in Toronto?

Actually, I think he is over that whole Bowie thing. Morrissey is famous for bizarre feuds with other famous people. I know that he and Robert Smith has had an onging feud for eons. They really, really hate each other. Which I think is a kindness for the universe. If those two ever got in the same room together, the depress-o vibes would force the collective mood of the planet through the mantle. But Bowie covered "I Know Its Gonna Happen Someday" on his Black Tie/White Noise album and Morrissey recently said that it is one of his favorite covers. . . .

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am very into Morrissey. But I have never heard that he is asexual before. Must do more research. He kinda' has a tendency to disappear for years at a time and then pop back up saying the exact opposite of whatever he said before. Very tricky, that. . . .

• 2 months later...

Yeah, thats how it is for me... what they said about there friend. It good to know there are others like me. I just recently came to this conclusion.

I've always heard that Morrissey was either gay, celibate, or sexually ambigious. I haven't heard him referred to as asexual, except for at this site. He also hates Margaret Thatcher....among other people... :lol: I've listened to most of the Morrissey Cds, but my favorite is definetely "Viva Hate". I don't like too many of his albums with the Smiths, though. Odd, considering that's how he started :lol:

Archived