How do I politely refuse to give someone my phone number?

CrazyCatLover

I would really like some advice on this. Strangers have started asking, "Can I call you sometime?" How do I decline politely and without feeling super guilty about refusing someone a simple request later? (Or do I just need to deal with my people-pleasing tendencies on the latter?). Today, I said something like "Let's see if we meet up again." Stupid thing to say, really.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Strangers ???? WTF ?????

How about ...

"I'm awfully busy at present, and dreadfully hard to catch.

Perhaps if you were to give me your number, I could call you at a convenient moment.

Hell can't stay warm forever, ... and, I've seen some pigs limbering up."

Or, if it's a creepy stranger ...

"Tee hee hee, I must tell THE BEAR about you ... I think he's eaten recently!"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"My phone is TOTALLY BROKEN right now... why don't you give me your number, then maybe I could call you when it's fixed."

and if the person asks why you never called "OMG I lost it! Sorry!"

or just say it's broke.

"I just got a new number and I forgot what the new number was."

Say that you don't have a phone at the moment.

Or give them the wrong number.

Or give them my number. (could be a fun experience)

Or give them my number. (could be a fun experience)

XD :D :lol:

Most of them wait until we've conversed for about five to ten minutes to ask for the number... I think I like the idea of saying that I don't have a phone number at the moment, and of asking for their number instead.

Of course a lot of people call the number right off to make sure you didn't lie to them. Jerks.

Ah good point.

You could tell them that you have a really hot sister they'd be more interested in and then give them my number.

There is no etiquette rule that says one must give one's phone number. Therefore, if you do not give your number, you are not being rude. If the other person insists you give your number, he is being rude. Got that?

Guest back_slash123
There is no etiquette rule that says one must give one's phone number. Therefore, if you do not give your number, you are not being rude. If the other person insists you give your number, he is being rude. Got that?

u stole my answer

Thank you so much for putting it that way.

Of course a lot of people call the number right off to make sure you didn't lie to them. Jerks.

Ah good point.

You could tell them that you have a really hot sister they'd be more interested in and then give them my number.

You just want to have random guys call you up, don't you?

I've already had my fun with telemarketers; might as well move on to random guys...

And if they don't believe you, just show them this photo:

myYearbookPhoto-4.jpg

When I was a young teenager, people in chats online would ask me for pictures and my phonenumber. I gave them a picture of a gorgeous young girl and the number of the pedophile-report hotline. :P

As i'm older now I'm thinking the Chastity-Help-hotline or Jehovas witnesses would be better number to hand out to obnoxious guys.. if the later have a phonenumber.

I think you need to deal with your people pleasing tendencies ;)

I can give you no further advice, as I have never politely declined giving out my number in my life! Ahaha

I would really like some advice on this. Strangers have started asking, "Can I call you sometime?" How do I decline politely and without feeling super guilty about refusing someone a simple request later? (Or do I just need to deal with my people-pleasing tendencies on the latter?). Today, I said something like "Let's see if we meet up again." Stupid thing to say, really.

Tell ya, if a stranger asked me for my phone number I would first ask why they wanted it!

Otherwise, I would say 'my phone is for my convenience only, I just give it to family and people that I know."

You don't need to be polite. Just say "No." If they ask why, ask why they want it.

Guest disjointed

much what they said

just a "Sorry I don't give my phone number out" the inevatable why not will follow to which you might reply " because If I had wanted to give it to you I would have by now"

as far as I'm concerened you were polite at first, they then became unpolite by continuing to ask so you were abrupt but direct but not rude.

Well, I do agree that no one else is entitled to one's phone number, but if they're not being rude about asking for it, I don't see any reason that one should be rude in denying it to them. For a polite truthful response, perhaps tell them that you don't know them well enough to let them have your number or something.

Hmm, well, I've said before that I despise phones, but that I'd give them an email address. I think they took the hint, too, 'cause they never actually wrote me...

Are these people looking for a relationship or a friendship?

Heck if I can figure that out... (it seems like it's usually a relationship, though)

pawprint prettysure
myYearbookPhoto-4.jpg

awwww. You're so cute :lol:

just a "Sorry I don't give my phone number out" the inevatable why not will follow to which you might reply " because If I had wanted to give it to you I would have by now"

That's a real good one.

Ooh, good question. I have the same problem. I want to be direct about it, not wanting to play games ('cause sometimes those backfire on me when they don't get the hint).... but yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to find a way of saying no without sounding rude.

I like the ideas people have given along the lines of "Sorry, I don't give my phone number out" and "I don't know you well enough to give you my number." I think I'm going to mix up those thoughts in a couple different ways and put them in my arsenal.

It's hard to find a way of saying no without sounding rude.

See I genuinely don't get that, when did the word "no" become rude? Saying "Kiss my ass Freakshow!" or "Like your ugly ass could catch me!" that's rude. "No" is not rude, a little more blunt than what some people are used to maybe, but not rude.

I'm glad I'm a guy, I've only ever been asked for my number once, lol I was 15 (now 25)

If I was for some reason to be asked.. I would simply say... "I'm flattered but no thanks, I'm not looking for anyone"

It isn't easy and it doesn't end at least not in my experience. Last Wednesday I was at the drug store looking at some travel size stuff as I was heading out of town. First the store manager walked by and said hello and asked if I needed any help, I'm in there regularly and he's a nice man, then just as he's passing another man passes behind me, says hello to the manager, then hello to me, I thought he worked there as well and I said "hi". Man walks past me down the isle, I continued to look at the travel size stuff but out of the corner of my eye I see him looking over his shoulder at me, now, I will be 52 next week and I'm always told I look much younger and I'm told I'm very attractive but I wasn't trying to be, I had on no makeup, a baggy t-shirt and knee length shorts and tennis shoes. Ok- so man comes back up the isle and says to me "are you married?", I wish I had just said yes but I was caught off guard so I said "no", he introduces himself and asks if I'd like to go out sometime, I said "no, I don't date"; then he proceeds to say something like "it doesn't have to be a date, just get together for a drink", I said "I don't drink" he just looked at me so I said "I'm a recovering alcoholic", which I am but I was hoping it would make him go away! Then he says "well you eat don't you", I said "yes", he says we could get something to eat, I told him I was getting ready to leave town and would be gone a couple of weeks (I was really only leaving for 3 days), he tells me how he is new to the area and just wants friends...yeah right...he kept on talking and asked for my phone # I just shook my head no, so he said "let me give you my #" but neither of us had anything to write with so I got my cell phone out and put his # in, but of course I'll never call him. I just hope I never run into him again, he likely is a nice person but people just don't get the fact that I'M NOT INTERESTED. I don't lie well but this has happened to me a few times with the question "are you married" so I think I need to practice saying "yes I'm married".

Archived