History of Asexuality - Media and More

Lehcar

Ok guys, I'd like to try and compile all the articles (media, research, etc.) that mention asexuality that have been published over the years - that includes radio, television, magazines, newspapers, blogs, advice columns, research reports, and anything else you can think of.

What I need from you is help gathering the older stuff - articles that might have been available online at one point but aren't any more, radio transcripts of old shows, and anything else you might have saved in hard copy that I might not be able to find otherwise.

So, if anyone has copies of older references to asexuality (any language), please send them to me - e-mail will probably work best for this. This is a board-wide effort, and I need your help!

As the OP has been inactive for sometime, it would be best to forward any replies via PM to the appropriate Moderator. (Arca nine Huggles).

Arca nine Huggles

World Watch Moderator.

Lord Happy Toast

I found a reference to asexuality (or something like it) in a letter that Louis XIV's sister wrote and talking about it on my blog. The downside is that finding the original quote would be a pain--the book I found it in (Forms of Desire) has a reference to the letter but it's in French and I can't read French (it also looks like it's one of those things that you would need really good library access to get.)

In term of academic stuff, I did a fair bit of searching last December and put put in on this thread over in the library. If you want any of this stuff, I should be able to email it to in the next couple of weeks. (Most of it I have on PDF. Anything else I ought to be able to scan.) It's pretty sparse, but it does show that there was at least some recognition of asexuality.

2014 Mod Edit: This is Elizabeth Charlotte's letter (the relevant part):

bPAWVkp.jpg

Translation:
There are those who hate women like death, and can only love men. Others love men and women [...] Others love only children aged ten or eleven, others love young people between seventeen and twenty-five and these are the most common. There are other wretches who do not love men or women, and who amuse themselves, but they are less numerous than the others. There are also those who practice debauchery with anything that comes to hand, animals and men [...] So you see, dear Amelise, that the world is even worse than you ever imagined.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Lord Happy Toast

On my new site, I have a piece titled Asexuality: The History of a Definition that gives some history of the asexual community, and it also points people to the existing materials on the subject. (Towards the top of the page, there is a link to a PDF version, which is a lot better because it has working links and is easier to read.)

It's a combination of two posts on my blog (titled Asexuality: The History of a Definition, part I and part II) put into a static content format.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Ok guys, I'd like to try and compile all the articles (media, research, etc.) that mention asexuality that have been published over the years - that includes radio, television, magazines, newspapers, blogs, advice columns, research reports, and anything else you can think of.

Hi,

Have you made any progress with this? I'm currently in the process of researching asexual identities (there's details of it here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=37117) and as an extension of this I was hoping to do do an analysis of media coverage of asexuality with a friend who is an asexual activist and also, like me, a sociology grad student. We're trying to put together as exhaustive a list as we can of available (i.e. free to access and online) tv and print media coverage of asexuality. Any pointers - from you or anyone else reading this - would be hugely appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...
Lord Happy Toast

Once I figured out I was supposed to click the button that says "SmartDrive Gastzugang starten", I was able to get things to work. It looks to be a very sizable collection of articles in a number of languages.

• 2 years later...

Hmm, seems like the OP is inactive on AVEN now, sadly. sad.gif They haven't signed in since the 18th of February 2009. *ponders this thread*

I've got two old pieces of audio...

1. Kensta on Matthew Bannister's BBC5 program, 14 October 2004
2. "Amanda" (not sure of username) on WUSB-Stony Brook's "Unsported", 10 February 2007

2014 Mod Edit: Thanks to dabishop's help, both these radio interviews are now saved forever in a video format:

Archived