Ouch! and goodbye for a while -- arm's painful

Sally

This older asexual is signing off for a while to rest my arm and shoulders and consider getting a track-ball laptop. The awkward move to the side of my keyboard to control the mouse -- even after AVEN people gave me helpful suggestions to reduce mousing -- has resulted in a really painful arm and shoulder. What a ridiculous situation: injured by a mouse. It doesn't seem to be carpal tunnel, but the actual angle that I'm holding my arm in to reach the mouse and then, as Olivier says, holding the mouse down at that angle.

All right, shut up, Sally. So I will for a while. The tigers are leaving the building :unsure: ; hope to be back, roaring and snarling, shortly. All of you people are great, from the 16-year-olds to the 70+ person who just posted! :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: Who but AVEN has such a wide range of great people?

I blame all the weird contortions you need to make to avoid the "e" key ;)

Get well soon, Sally :)

T_T 'll miss seeing your avatar picture which always makes me smile. I hope you feel better soon ^_^

Ouch Sally! So sorry to hear you're in such pain----and from a techno-mouse too! :mad: That's awful. Hope the rest will ease the pain and you'll be back soon with a new & improved track-ball laptop, arm and shoulders.

Please stay in touch and update us as soon as you can. We'll miss you! (and the tigers!)

Hope to see you at the next meet-up, whenever that will be.....wouldn't be complete without you! :cake::cake::cake: ^_^

Tikva

Could get one of those little USB keyboard and mouse things...ooh ooh, or one of those IR keyboards! That projects a picture of a keyboard onto your desk and it works like a real keyboard!

I was suffering from carpal tunnel last year due to poor workstation ergonomics. I bought a wrist brace from CVS, and the problem practically cleared up overnight (the documentation said it could take up to a month). The model name I'm using is called 'Futuro'. The wrist brace is easy to take on/off, and it essentially forces your wrist to line up with your forearm.

I started having a very tiny bit of discomfort a couple of weeks ago despite the wrist brace, so I went ahead and bought a split keyboard. Pretty expensive, but the ergonomics are great: http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle_mac.htm

I hope that you've found a temporary replacement to hold up the 'mature' end of AVEN. The kids are rampaging everywhere!!

Get better soon! :cake: :cake:

One other suggestion (if you haven't already tried it): switch the hand you use to control the mouse. At first, it will feel very awkward (kind of like writing with the 'wrong' hand), but after a while it will feel completely natural. I know because I switched hands myself a couple of months ago. Good luck! :rolleyes:

I finally broke down and got a cordless mouse that works on almost any surface. (well under $50.00 at Walmart) I can stretch my arm out on the sofa and use it in almost any position and with either hand. If I don't need to do any typing I can even set the font size to extra big, aka "ALMOST BLIND," and leave the laptop on the table.

It has helped a lot. I was getting pain and numbness or tingling all the way from my neck to my wrist every time I went online, and since I use the mouse left-handed I found that to be more than a little disconcerting until I figured out the connection.

-GB

I finally broke down and got a cordless mouse that works on almost any surface. (well under $50.00 at Walmart) I can stretch my arm out on the sofa and use it in almost any position and with either hand. If I don't need to do any typing I can even set the font size to extra big, aka "ALMOST BLIND," and leave the laptop on the table.

It has helped a lot. I was getting pain and numbness or tingling all the way from my neck to my wrist every time I went online, and since I use the mouse left-handed I found that to be more than a little disconcerting until I figured out the connection.

-GB

Hey Sally,

What Bird said!

I still use the old fashioned mouse with a tail but my sisters both use the wireless and they dont need a mousey pad or anything.

I know when I'm online for hours at a time, My arm gets to feeling strange from the angle I am keeping it in for long periods of time. So maybe with a smart mouse that can travel without a tail, you can use it in many differing angles. Even layed back in bed with a book on your lap and the mouse on the book. hahahahaha. See, Its take a mouse to bed week. Hahahahahahaa.

But get well soon and get back here, cause we gonna miss you.

Ziff

I'd just like to add my best wishes too...I use a laptop which is even worse than a desk top pc. Hope you feel better soon, Sally and will look forward to having you back.

Tan

*Who just may get her boiler working today (after 18 days, 11 gas engineers - 12 if you add today's on - and one plumber)*

(Turkish keyboard warning - could be garbled letters)

İ just use my lap as a mouse pad

Archived