The best (are there others?) Asexual Romance film

Amanda

Hey, I just saw this incredible movie called Buffalo '66. Has anyone else seen it? As the topic says it's a really cool asexual romance. I reccommend it, and I'd like to know what others on the list think. does anyone know of any other flicks they'd consider asexual?

Cate Perfect

I saw Buffalo '66 years ago, and recall liking Anjelica Huston (as usual). Why would you consider it asexual? I'm not disagreeing with you--I simply don't remember thinking anything other than: 'Anjelica was great!'

We've discussed possible asexual characters in movies before (somewhere in the recesses of AVEN). Heavenly Creatures came up quite a bit. Lost in Translation has also been mentioned.

Cate

If you watch the movie again you'd know. Vincent Gallo's character, Billy Brown is a flaming asexual. A great example is Christina Ricci asks for a kiss goodbye and he says no. so she asks for a hug and he says "how about we just shake hands"... but see the whole thing if you get a chance the asexuality is explicit.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually....There is a movie that i love!

It's french...But it's really really good.

It's called "Amalie"

It's really neat! I think she's asexual. I mean...just look at her face in that one scene! It was...."hmm....You know what...i don't see what the big deal is....get this guy off of me".

She's not at all into sex....and she prefurs to take in the simple pleasures of life!

She is UBER asexual. Great movie.

I LOOOOOOOVE this movie and wish I had been in France at the time it was released. I missed it by a month. Anyway, I have it on DVD and watch it every chance I can. My roommates got sick of it but I need to watch it again. The music is good too.

She maybe asexual but she is a hopeless romantic.

There was a TV show on for awhile in the same genre, Waterfalls, but it has already been cancelled. I also hear Delicatessan (by the same director) is similar to Amelie but I can't seem to find that movie.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the movie you should.

In the US, it goes by Amelie. I believe in contintenal Europe it is La Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain and England is some variation of the US and continental European titles.

Cate Perfect

Amelie WAS a fantastic movie. :D Hmmm. Now I want to watch it again.

Cate

If only they hadn't wound up in bed together. *sigh* I like to believe that they're just into semi-naked cuddling.

But yes, a very good movie.

Live R Perfect
If only they hadn't wound up in bed together. *sigh*

Yes, I was bitterly disappointed that they just jumped straight into bed at the end of the film... After the whole romantic pursuit, that was rather an anti-climax for me. :(

Maybe that was the beauty. Like is that (from the French title) the fabulous destiny or not? Maybe it was to leave us thinking. Hmm, I'll have to re-watch it and think about it from a strictly asexual pov. Ah the joys of becoming a slouch (which hopefully won't last for long). Maybe I'll just call it my retirement.

I think I'll be in trouble for asking but who else knows why June 15th is important in TV viewing. LoL, if you enjoy guilty, secret tv pleasures let me know. I feel so alone, so ashamed :oops:

• 4 months later...

I LOVE Amelie! Im now going to go watch it again, and celebrate the asexualness of it all! :D

I've always liked As Good As It Gets.

Not really asexual per se, but I think it certainly minimalizes the role sex plays in a relationship, since you never see any of the main characters actually having sex, and the topic of sex only seems to get in the way of the romance whenever it comes up during the movie.

Plus, I love how its characters are so much more real than those in other romantic comedies.

Its just a shame it had to lose the Oscar to the definately not asexual (and rediculously melodramtic) Titanic.

I've always liked As Good As It Gets.

Not really asexual per se, but I think it certainly minimalizes the role sex plays in a relationship, since you never see any of the main characters actually having sex, and the topic of sex only seems to get in the way of the romance whenever it comes up during the movie.

Plus, I love how its characters are so much more real than those in other romantic comedies.

Its just a shame it had to lose the Oscar to the definately not asexual (and rediculously melodramtic) Titanic.

Bah! Titanic! :evil:

• 5 years later...
In_Omnia_Paratus

It's called "Amalie"

It's really neat! I think she's asexual. I mean...just look at her face in that one scene! It was...."hmm....You know what...i don't see what the big deal is....get this guy off of me".

She's not at all into sex....and she prefurs to take in the simple pleasures of life!

I ADORE THAT MOVIE!!! and I completely agree, it's definitely one of my favourites

• 1 month later...

The Science of Sleep (another French one). Was a bit disappointed by the film itself but I liked the relationship 'non-build up.'

• 2 months later...

It's called "Amalie"

Actually Amelie is sexual!! At the end of the movie she gets the guy she wants, has sex and looks blissfully happy afterwards. It is a fantastic film though, one of my all time favourites :)

Violet_Loves_Iliona

I actually started a post about Tom Tywer's films and how incredibly Acey they are, so I'll close it and repost here:

They have very powerful, romantic relationships which involve either little or no sex, but are powerfully romantic and seem to frequently involve people from very different walks of life finding each other and entering into this all-encompassing, passionate (though as I said, romantic but not particularly sexual) relationship, and running away together.

I think my favourite is the utterly sublime "The Princess and The Warrior" ("Der Krieger und die Kaiserin") with Franca Potente (from "Run, Lola, Run" and the Bourne Ultimatum films) & Benno Furmann, as well as "Heaven", with Cate Blanchett and Giovani Ribisi.

I think This guy's films are amazing! And it really doesn't hurt that they're some of the most asexual romantic films I've come across. :)

Another asexual romantic film (this one by a different filmmaker) I would highly recommend to all my little Asey pals here is "Love Me If You Dare" ("Jeax d'enfants"), which is similarly ultra-romantic and very asexual, with a somewhat dark, yet utterly, utterly romantic ending (I won't say what happens, as I don't want to ruin it, though I've wanted to talk about it with everyone I know who has seen it!).

I'll have to look into this Buffulo 66 and Amelie that you guys are talking about, and I strongly recommend the three films I mention above.

Does anyone else have any further recommendations?

I wait with bated breath. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Violet_Loves_Iliona

Plus another one that occurs to me is "Trust" (1990) by Hal Hartley.

It is one of my three equal firt-place favourite films of all time. :cake:

Not a great film but it was interesting that in Surrogates (2009) the protagonist seems to have romantic 'asexual' feelings for his wife although it may be a result of their issues. Everyone aside from

the main murder victim

seems to behave asexually, but it's probably a result of lack of privacy with androids and the apparent dissolution of sexual orientation (like racism) that results from issues with identity or with certainty about the other's identity. The child android

used by an older man

at the end seems to reinforce the general asexual vibe. However it's terribly heteronormative, surely there'd be more gender variancy in such a world.