Tyra Banks Show!-folks needed

AVENguy

Guest EGDingthestar
But I do think it's an age thing. The show is geared toward young women, and the producers/associates have no info about me except name, age, (waaaay over 21) gender, (female) and relationship status (not in a relationship), so........it seems obvious......

I honestly thought I'd be too young to go on, being only 19 and whatnot. I expected they'd only choose older ones to go on.

EGD kissy-kisses GoAllyGoGo.

No one has answered EGDingthestar.

Did everyone take a Vow Of Silence? :huh:

I would answer, but I took a vow of silence. ;)

But, seriously, no I don't have confirmation, as yet. As far as I know, no one has confirmation. But, the last time I talked to the person from the show (on Thursday), the plan was still to do it on Wednesday. I kinda' expected to hear something on Friday.

Maybe it will happen? Maybe it won't? I seem to recall that 20/20 and Montel both pushed the taping dates back.

We'll see. If I don't hear anything on Monday, I am going to assume that I will not be flying to Manhatten on Tuesday, and plan my life accordingly.

Whew, okay, you don't have any info either, it is the same for me - no info yet. I emailed the associate producer to see if he had any info, but he has not responded so I guess he is off till monday.

I work 5:30am - 2pm monday but i think i'll keep my phone on me at work this time, just so i know to the minute and can implement Plan B with my coworkers immediately.

Okay I'm not going to lie, I skipped a lot of what was said on here after the first page or so. My two cents is this; I watech the Tyra Banks show and I like it better than Montel she does seem to try and understand what the guests are trying to say and I feel she tries to understand it, but she also does the whole "I'm trying to be a therapist even though this is comletely wrong and unhealthy" deal that it seems all daytime talkshow hosts do. Mainly the shows I'm referring to are her shows with the "badgirls" and the ones where people had to rate themselves on a scale from 1-10 and it was about couples who were dating people that were significantly lower or higher on the scale than themselves-oddly enough the women all had low self esteem and thought they weren't good enough. In the end she gave them makeovers and showed them they were good looking and helped their self-esteem, but telling a girl who feels bad about herself she's a 4 doesn't seem smart to me...but I don't have my own talk show so what do I know.

The biggest problem I can see with these shows on asexuality is that after people talk about it there are so many different forms of it that people try and pick apart what you say about it as if you are lying. Hopefully she'll listen better than other hosts of shows who have had this topic in the past.

Just be thankful Steve Wilkos isn't doing this!

Reality check for everyone who is doubtful that the show will go well:

We are different. We will be picked apart by therapists, sexperts, and tv talk show hosts. We will be picked apart by friends, relatives, teachers, and coworkers. We will be questioned, doubted, and misunderstood by millions. IF we don't do anything about it.

The point of going on talk shows, doing lectures, setting up booths at pride festivals, making and handing out brochures, is to EDUCATE.

I am not nervous of going on tv, I am not nervous of telling sensitive information to millions. I am nervous to remain in obscurity, constantly doubted and misunderstood, cast out for being different. Therefore, should I be able to go on, I will go on and do the best job I can, so I can educate people that We Exist and We Love Who We Are.

That is why i am willing to go on TV and risk being picked apart. In the end, we will STILL educate others.

I would answer, but I took a vow of silence. ;)

Thanks KBRD143 for breaking your "vow of silence" and showing loyalty to fellow Avenites by providing us with an update! ;) :cake:

I hope, for the sake of all who've been selected, that the taping date has been pushed back.

Even if all of you get a confirmation on Monday that's cutting it a wee bit close----giving everyone ~24 hrs or < before flying out!

Sheeeesh. It takes that long just to get through airport security. Depending on variables such as; how tight your shoelaces are tied, how many little tubes of that dangerous shampoo you may have, how much of your personal possessions need to be confiscated and tossed, whether or not they need to download the entire innards on your laptop to see what recent terrorist activities you're up to, if your under-wire bra sets off the metal detector......

Details. Details.

Wish everyone luck! And keep us updated........ :)

Reality check for everyone who is doubtful that the show will go well:

We are different. We will be picked apart by therapists, sexperts, and tv talk show hosts. We will be picked apart by friends, relatives, teachers, and coworkers. We will be questioned, doubted, and misunderstood by millions. IF we don't do anything about it.

The point of going on talk shows, doing lectures, setting up booths at pride festivals, making and handing out brochures, is to EDUCATE.

I am not nervous of going on tv, I am not nervous of telling sensitive information to millions. I am nervous to remain in obscurity, constantly doubted and misunderstood, cast out for being different. Therefore, should I be able to go on, I will go on and do the best job I can, so I can educate people that We Exist and We Love Who We Are.

That is why i am willing to go on TV and risk being picked apart. In the end, we will STILL educate others.

Cheers Cacille! :cake:

Great attitude! A big part of AVEN is about educating.

This is definitely a great opportunity for asexual awareness!!!!! I love watching the Tyra Show, she does talk about some pretty far out subjects. If I weren't busy with college I would definitely apply to represent the young asexual society, being 19 and all. I hope you find people and I hope the show is successful!! I look forward to watching it!!!

Well they sure held off till the last minute!

They have decided to hold off on the show due to a lack of people (volunteers) from here that they could choose from to go on the show. It looks like they definitely are looking for more couples (which...on aven, means they want one or two of the THREE or so couples on here, haha), so if you are partnered with another Avenite or asexual, volunteer!

They are looking to reschedule SOON though, basically it's on our end to get volunteers it sounds like (from DJ's forward to me). So let this be a lesson - you need to volunteer for us to educate more people!

Guest EGDingthestar

Was I the only person the "tyra team" didn't even bother to phone interview?

Oh my god, LOL...

edit: hmm, maybe I should try to find someone willing to pose as a partner... hehehe...

Oh my god, LOL...

edit: hmm, maybe I should try to find someone willing to pose as a partner... hehehe...

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing! But if they're going to be flakey...

Thanks Cacille for the update.

I thought there were several people who volunteered! They didn't want any of us???

DJ posted a second time saying the show was looking for couples, but it sounds like they want couples to be the focus (not just part of the mix) so why didn't they just say that in the first place???

Hmmm. I wonder where they're planning to go with this.....

Singles not having sex=boring.......

Couples not having sex=shock value.......

I thought the original intent of the show was to be about visibility and education about asexuality----not a "look-at-the-'weirdos'-not-having-sex" bit.

I volunteered as a single person.

If I was part of an A-couple, I'd be too leary to volunteer----if that's the focus.

I can just see the camera panning in on the audience to capture all the raised eyebrows, head-shaking, dropped jaws.....and the questions that would be asked of a couple are a *yawn* no-brainer.....

I just don't know about this now............

Hey, I have a random question for the girls who are most likely going to be on the show, for the girls who stay androgynous.

If they want to make you look nice, are you going to let them? Are you going to let them put makeup on you, do your hair, and stuff?

Oh my god, LOL...

No. They didn't phone me either. Since it's highly unlikely we were the only two, it means there must have been others they didn't "bother" to call either----and then they complain of the "lack of volunteers to choose from"????

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing! But if they're going to be flakey...

I love your devious minds!!! 8) Bwahaha......

Yup. FLAKEY is the purrrrrfect word......!!!!!! :cake:

GUYS.

Holy cow. Calm down.

They didn't say they didn't want any of us.

They want a few of every type, probably to produce a balanced show. They want a few couples, a few singles, different ages and backgrounds most likely.

Some people here volunteered a touch too late, I think all we need to do is get a good amount of volunteers and maybe one of the more famous aven couples (Cate and Liver, Hu and Winter, Gbrd and Kbrd if they are all still happily together), present that to them, and then we'll just start over. They will call us all again and do a quick interview, then they will choose from the volunteers who gets on the show.

At least this is the way that I hope they do it, DJ may be able to set me straight here as he had more contact with the associate producers.

We should probably Redo the volunteer list from scratch and have a DEADLINE as to when to volunteer by. Then DJ can submit it from there.

DJ, I'll let you take over on this if you want. We should probably rename this thread and start a new one for less confusion.

Until then, don't go judging the show - you guys are not producers, you don't understand why they do the things they do, they have been doing TV for ages longer than us and probably know a thing or two more about what viewers want to see. Don't judge a book until after it's written.

::gets off platform::

GUYS.

Holy cow. Calm down.

They didn't say they didn't want any of us.

They want a few of every type, probably to produce a balanced show. They want a few couples, a few singles, different ages and backgrounds most likely.

Some people here volunteered a touch too late,

DJ's started this thread asking for volunteers on Aug. 5th. I volunteered on Aug. 8th. The show didn't even contact anyone until Aug. 19th, so.......I don't think I was a "touch too late"......which undoubtedly applies to others as well. Also, I'm one of the "minorities" on AVEN and wasn't considered at all..........so much for a "balanced" show, IMHO.

I still think FLAKEY fits.......

Guys, seriously... Let me tell you a little story.

I have been talking to CBC Sunday about a short on asexuality for... Oh, I don't know. One and a half years? Sure, so, they cover news, some things come up, fine, whatever. But I've been interviewed three separate times, dates have been given to me and then passed on twice, and I haven't heard from them at all since April. So, you want to call a show flaky because, in one month, they didn't call all 20+ people who volunteered, interview them, and then film the show? Pleeeease. Sit down and chill out.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but the producers have an idea of how they want the show to run. They are looking for a bunch of angles. They have single people, but I am sure they want to portray asexuality in a favourable light (And, say what you want about the show or how it sounds--I watched a few episodes when this announcement was made, and next to Ellen Degeneres and potentially Oprah, this seems like the best female talk show host for different people to share their stories to). How would you feel about a show that had only single people? "Asexuals can't date/get married/form relationships" is the message sent out. How about only older people? "They've just lost their sex drive." How about only women? "Well, duh. Women don't like sex as much as men do." I applaud the producers for NOT rushing into things.

The last thing we need is visibility that makes us out to look extremely unbalanced and whacked out. So be patient, please, and try and be optimistic?

Guest EGDingthestar

Um, I think a lot of people have said good points in here...

I guess I thought we'd discussed the concern factor already of how it could be portrayed. But that even if it were presented as "shocking"--there would still be something to be gained by the visibility. I think most people who have checked out her show a bit, believe she will probably be a bit progressive or quite less... inflammatory than maybe we'd first thought when we heard her name.

I have no idea how many people volunteered... I was a little sad that I didn't get phone interviewed... but if so many people stepped up, then that is great. I was initially a little hesitant putting my name in, but threw it in just to make sure there were enough volunteers. I have been trying to follow what is going on with asking little questions in this thread... and I have tried to laugh at my own sort of wounded ego.

Maybe the show assumed they would easily have more couples in the volunteer mix... I mean it wasn't too long after those first phone calls that DJ posted the other thread asking for couples.

I would think with a good mix they might be trying to present asexuality in a positive light--that people can make connections, and have dating relationships.

Well, if they were wanting couples, they fell down a little bit on actually contacting the (presumably) one couple they did have volunteering. Nancy never recieved a phone call. So, everyone who didn't get called, don't fret! You aren't alone.

Postponing the show likely means that they now have no couples whatsoever, as this was really the last opportunity I have of flying off for a couple of days before my schedule becomes far more hectic than it has generally been in the past.

Plus, based on the repeated assertations that the show would be happening this week, I arranged to have extra time off from work to make myself available. Doing this has cost me some amount of cash.

I admire the fact that they want to do the best show they can. However, in their attempt to put it together as quickly as possible, they have managed to raise at least a couple of feathers in this house. The behaviour, and the extremely last-minute way this played out does register a tick or two on my flakeometer. Which doesn't comment on how good or bad the eventual show might or might not be. It just means that they really didn't manage to think things through or communicate their actual needs and goals efficiently enough to meet their own deadlines. I would argue that technically, that's a little on the flaky side.

I am optimistic, I really am. I am, however, not completely pleased at the moment. I do, at the very least, have something of a break before I begin my apprenticeship next week and, although that is costing me some pay and some vacation time, it is a good thing. Come next week, I will be working seven days a week for the forseeable future. I should take every opportunity for a break that I can. Accentuate the positive, and alla that. . . .

ya... no chilling out needed over here... i was just kind of making an off the cuff comment. There's only one person in here actually getting upset over that... from the side we're on though, we hadn't really gotten any of the information we'd been asking about earlier in the thread (which probably cut into the number of volunteers) so we were (are) all kind of in the dark, not really having any idea what's going on and not, ourselves, being able to find out. Sooo... you can see how all the lack of information exchange can lead to thoughts of flakiness.

Okay so its just postponed right now am I correct?

Cos I volunteered and haven't gotten word on anything which I thought was odd.

You can still count on me I'm up for it just give me the word and I'll give you the rest.

It's been postponed, however DJ has yet to get back to me on what's going on. I'm willing to help get this arranged, but DJ hasn't emailed me back yet.

It's been postponed, however DJ has yet to get back to me on what's going on. I'm willing to help get this arranged, but DJ hasn't emailed me back yet.

Same here I guess something is up if he hasn't answered any of us back.

Btw anyone think or know if that Dr.Joy Davidson is going to follow us again?

But I have to say that if shes into sex so much and doesn't really like asexuality then why come after us? She should just go out there and do her thing. Not wasting time on us.

Don't like football don't go to a football game!

She won't scare me off.

I'd be okay with having an email of mine read aloud, or used to make a point, however, I would not want to appear on the show.

I just got an email from the Tyra Banks show! They're going to do a full show on asexuality (like Montel), probably shooting sometime this month. It's a fantastic visibility opportunity, they get a pretty wide viewership, but it's also a somewhat scandalous program.

That being said, we need people (not sure how many yet) to join in! You know that somewhere deep down you've always wanted to make tens of thousands of people aware that asexuality exists. Now's the time! Please email or PM me with the following if you're interested:

First name:

Relationship status (however you want to define it):

I'll provide media training to people so that we can be prepared for whatever weird questions Tyra throws at us.

Thanks!

I'd be okay with having an email of mine read aloud, or used to make a point, however, I would not want to appear on the show.
I just got an email from the Tyra Banks show! They're going to do a full show on asexuality (like Montel), probably shooting sometime this month. It's a fantastic visibility opportunity, they get a pretty wide viewership, but it's also a somewhat scandalous program.

That being said, we need people (not sure how many yet) to join in! You know that somewhere deep down you've always wanted to make tens of thousands of people aware that asexuality exists. Now's the time! Please email or PM me with the following if you're interested:

First name:

Relationship status (however you want to define it):

I'll provide media training to people so that we can be prepared for whatever weird questions Tyra throws at us.

Thanks!

So do I have to PM info again?

As of right now, there is NO news about a rescheduling of the show.

I have contacted the guy and haven't heard a thing from him. It's been a full workweek now. I am assuming they are somehow no longer interested, but haven't heard any direct words from any producer saying yes or no.

Archived