Tyra Banks Show!-folks needed

AVENguy

I just got an email from the Tyra Banks show! They're going to do a full show on asexuality (like Montel), probably shooting sometime this month. It's a fantastic visibility opportunity, they get a pretty wide viewership, but it's also a somewhat scandalous program.

That being said, we need people (not sure how many yet) to join in! You know that somewhere deep down you've always wanted to make tens of thousands of people aware that asexuality exists. Now's the time! Please email or PM me with the following if you're interested:

First name:

Relationship status (however you want to define it):

I'll provide media training to people so that we can be prepared for whatever weird questions Tyra throws at us.

Thanks!

ThePieMaker

That is too terribly exciting! You know, a few months ago I was on that site and there's a section for suggesting a show and I definitely wrote into them saying how they should do a show on asexuality, so I'm really happy to see that they may have gotten enough people suggesting it that they decided to do a show on it!

I threw my hat in the ring, let's see if anyone wants to catch it.

XTriformisX

I've never actually heard of Tyra Banks. Is it American or something? If so, that's too bad. :(

I'm impressed - I've heard of the Tyra Banks show, unlike any of the other shows that have already done features! I'll make sure to watch it if it comes out on YouTube. I'd volunteer for the program too, but I live in the wrong country. :P

Guest Fosco
I've never actually heard of Tyra Banks. Is it American or something? If so, that's too bad. :(

Same. As long as someone films it for us Euro folks!

PatrickOOOMazing

I'm no spokesperson for asexuality, but i'll be happy to see a new video and hopefully some new faces from AVEN.

Is there any way that we could shake things up to try and do away with some of the monotony that these interviews tend to lean towards? I have seen little snippets of this show, and from what I can tell, Tyra is the type to try to sensationalize the obvious and very tedious 'higgidly piggildy, some people don't have sex!! I don't believe it' aspects of asexuality.

I know how difficult it is to try to encourage critical thinking when you are rapping on the foundations of your audiences core beliefs, in this case about sexuality and relationships in general, but is there any way that a spiced up message could be presented?

Then again, what do I know. Just getting the word out is a fantastic boon for this community

I'm looking forward to hearing Tyra say higgildy piggildy

< retired >

The problem is how the show will be slanted. A skillful director can take raw material and slant it any way s/he chooses. Asexuals could come out looking like the saviors of mankind or monsters (or somewhere in between). I'd hesitate to become a symbol of the asexual 'movement' without more control over how the content is presented. :rolleyes:

Guest EGDingthestar

Well... I can't say I watch much Tyra. I was looking through the youtube clips (for guests who were not celebrities)...

And there were some pretty cough cough interesting people on... and she didn't go off on them where obviously most people would disagree.

I actually sort of liked Montel until the asexuality episode. I know I know...

I have not watched a full episode of her show... but unless she knowingly brings some "expert" to undermine what sort of "positive rapport" she had previously been operating under with her interviewees... I think there is potential she could be progressive about being accepting.

(I guess I am admittedly voting my hopes here, obviously I haven't thrown my name out for this interview yet.)

If I could nominate someone--in all seriousness, I would nominate KBRD... I liked how he handled himself in the other interview... and was not easily backed into a corner. I think those members who have been here awhile and know the lingo and distinctions between desire and attraction and etc (and really believe in these distinctions) might feel they better represented AVEN in a media type setting. They might be right.

I also think when Gatto sometimes points out about the world needing to see some good looking, socially well-adjusted Asexuals out there, this could be valid too. Maybe another couple? (wink wink GBRD and KBRD??)

EDIT: Though it might be cool if Cale also too part. I would like to find out who wears taller stilettos--Tyra or Cale? :o

It looks like it's filmed in New York... is there any info on how long we would be there and if we would be getting there on our own money, or if that's something the show pays for? *doesn't know about the specifics of these sorts of things*

this show is not going to be pretty. at all.

ThePieMaker

I think it really has potential to be great visibility. Tyra usually tries to sympathize with those who are different from the social norm.

EDIT: Though it might be cool if Cale also too part. I would like to find out who wears taller stilettos--Tyra or Cale? :o

Ha. Haha. This pretty much sums up how things would go over if I went on:

I agree ... it probably wouldn't be pretty. (Although one can always hope ...)

The bottom line with publicity, though, is that PRETTY DOESN'T MATTER!! It's ALL good.

Montel wasn't pretty either, but look how many people saw it and found out that asexuality exists.

Now ... to be honest, I have never heard of the Tyra Banks Show because I no longer watch TV, but KBRD probably knows about it.

He knows everything. (SRSLY!) I will ask him what he thinks.

-GBRD

edit: The reason he knows everything is because he is always watching! (We were typing at the same time and didn't know it.)

bitterforsweet
She invented ANTM!

I agree. Tyra has a tendency to be borderline condescending.

Well, I don't have the immediate bad feelings I have had about some of the people who have contacted us in the past. (One word: Maury.) I'm going to go with what GoAllyGoGo said, Tyra does seem to sympathize with those people who find themselves at odds with the norm. She did reportedly have an asexual panelist on a recent discussion about sexuality. Sounds like she already takes the subject seriously. And, besides, as Nancy said, even those shows which we have thought of as negative and biased have brought lots and lots of people to the site. And that is the whole point in doing them.

LadyKimber9mm

I love the idea that this will be giving the opportunity for awareness of people like us. No one really thinks that we are out there, hardly anyone is aware I guess because there are so few of us and no one talks about it. Well its time for people to START talking about it and come out of the ignorance on this....

Whoo! Another show! I can't be on it but I'll most definitely watch it.

Well, I don't have the immediate bad feelings I have had about some of the people who have contacted us in the past. (One word: Maury.) I'm going to go with what GoAllyGoGo said, Tyra does seem to sympathize with those people who find themselves at odds with the norm. She did reportedly have an asexual panelist on a recent discussion about sexuality. Sounds like she already takes the subject seriously. And, besides, as Nancy said, even those shows which we have thought of as negative and biased have brought lots and lots of people to the site. And that is the whole point in doing them.

Tyra has been really sensitive and public about LGBT issues so she seems to have a respect for non-heteronormative sexuality. My guess is she is gonna be a bit shocking and dramatic being like "YOU DON'T LIKE SEX" omg girrrrrl I couldn't live without sex" that being said and when thats out of the way I think she will take the subject seriously and it will be a great platform for people to be exposed to asexuality. Even a little silly/bad press is good for the movement, just so people hear the word and get familiar.

Eurgh - I just watched the Montel episode - I didnt even know it had been made - and I dont much like him at the best of times, but that was really starting to annoy me.

Why just keep going on about the same thing?!

"Im not saying youre broken" - quote; if we're not broken, why fix us?

I cant say Ive seen a Tyra Banks Show episode, but I can only imagine itll be similar..

Archived