Australian Asexuality Website and other Aussie Visability

SpirallingSnowy

timetraveler2059
Hi All, I've just found AVEN and stumbled across your posting about se tting up communication with in Australia. Great idea, whats the latest? I'm in Qld BTW

Hi! I'm from Queensland too (I'm in Brisbane.) I'll start this post off with the traditional cake, :cake: which we always give out to new members here. :)

We have a fair amount of Australian members on AVEN, but not too many. We're in the process of trying to start an Australian website on asexuality, and hopefully this will get more Australians involved in the asexual community. We've had meetup events in Sydney and Melbourne, but as far as I know there have never been meetups anywhere else in Australia (someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Feel free to keep looking more around AVEN, it's a really nice place. And hopefully we can get the Australian site up soonish. :)

Hey all, I would love to see A/sexual come to Australia. I am from Townsville, Queensland and love this site. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

on a side note.....

Seeing as im going to uni, im going to arm myself with asexy resources :) going to get some pamphlets printed out and such forth........ Going to find me some asexuals in Wagga :D

Anywho, i wanted to say, does anyone want to get something started?? cos even if we do a geocities or other type of freebie, then atleast we have something. Still happy to be contact, but i reckon we should get something off the ground. I just dunno what the good free web stuffs are anymore :( Ideas or suggestions peoples??

Hey, I have space on my webserver, but it will need to be under the domain of either dreameryonline.com or nataliekirk.com, unless we pay for a different domain name.

So, something like http://a3.dreameryonline.com or whatever, temporarily.

I would be quite happy to host it as my server doesn't get a fraction of the traffic I pay for.

on a side note.....

Seeing as im going to uni, im going to arm myself with asexy resources :) going to get some pamphlets printed out and such forth........ Going to find me some asexuals in Wagga :D

Anywho, i wanted to say, does anyone want to get something started?? cos even if we do a geocities or other type of freebie, then atleast we have something. Still happy to be contact, but i reckon we should get something off the ground. I just dunno what the good free web stuffs are anymore :( Ideas or suggestions peoples??

ohh, i was born in wagga :)

/jack

Hey, I have space on my webserver, but it will need to be under the domain of either dreameryonline.com or nataliekirk.com, unless we pay for a different domain name.

So, something like http://a3.dreameryonline.com or whatever, temporarily.

I would be quite happy to host it as my server doesn't get a fraction of the traffic I pay for.

That sounds like a good idea. If we host it on a subdomain on one of your sites we can later configure the .htaccess file to 301 redirect all pages to the new site later on, meaning there would be minimal loss from a changing domain.

And do you have one of those plans where you can host multiple domains under the one plan? That's excellent. If you really want to host A3 under it, that would probably make things quite easy for everyone to set up. I'm sure if you hosted A3 under your plan it'd probably generate the largest bulk of your traffic though. :P

At any rate, hosting plans with unlimited domains are excellent. *looks up whois info for nataliekirk.com and checks out plans offered by your host :P *

I wouldn't actually recommend my host for permanence- I am thinking of moving, because I just discovered it was hacked >_<

All the index.php pages had spammy code added to them :(

I wouldn't actually recommend my host for permanence- I am thinking of moving, because I just discovered it was hacked >_<

All the index.php pages had spammy code added to them :(

Ack, that would suck. >_<

What sort of spammy code was added? Was it just you, or were other customers affected too?

Apparently it was server-wide. I can't tell you what the code was now, because I deleted it already. But it created PHP functions and referred to a different website. I didn't look at it closely - the moment I saw it I got rid of it.

I think the CHMOD of my directories might have been too open, I'm not sure. It's a shared server, so it's not impossible for such a thing to happen. I am not completely positive on how I can prevent it in the future.

Same thing happened to me, and another forum I frequent (we, at the time, shared the same host)

• 1 month later...

Guess what guyssss? Starting today, I own a Web Design and Development business :D

I'll be happy to set up the website, provided others are willing to contribute content... and a little bit of money. We have a couple of choices. If we add a domain to my existing space on Servage (which is the one that got hacked, but it is fine most of the time) it will cost $17.50 per year for a domain of .com, .org or .net.

If we want to get a .au domain we'll need to use my ABN and it will cost something more along the lines of $40 per year, including hosting through my business.

Now, we can also do what I suggested a few posts above, but it will probably be better to get a domain.

But, I will need the payments upfront because I am severely drained of money at the moment.

Just some food for thought. If everyone is willing to chip in, it won't be much at all to spend. Just putting it on the table.

Guess what guyssss? Starting today, I own a Web Design and Development business :D

Congratulations Parth, :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: for your first day ... :D.

I'd be fine to chip in some money, but I'd bow out of technical input.

I set up a couple of sites using HTML, but that was back in 1573 :P (Well, ... it feels that long ago :D )

FYI, I've been monitoring the number of 'guests' that the AusAven proboard gets over a 24 hour period...

It's been as high as 26, but regularly sits at 15 - 20 per 24 hour period.

Hopefully, a percentage of those guests find their way here, and a more 21st Century look can only help.

Sounds great. I'd like to put in money but I have no means of getting any of it to anyone. I'll gladly help with content and other such things though.

Also, good luck with your business, Parth.

KayleeSaeihr

I wish I could have my own webby/computery business thingy...Or work for one. :P

I wish I could have my own webby/computery business thingy...Or work for one. :P

It isn't that hard, apparently. I'm on the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme! I get funding for 12 months :D

KayleeSaeihr

Sweet... :: makes notes ::

I created a mockup design today. Let me know what you guys think. I added yellow to the logo to help break up the colour scheme a little. Pastel blue and vibrant yellow/orange go well together, n'est-ce pas?

mockup.png

I like the yellow in the banner, but I'm not so sure about the yellow links in the rest of the page.

Apart from that, it's great.

Wow. I think it's brilliant. I am unbelievably impressed. It even passes the W3C validator... *gasps*

All I can say is that perhaps the width of the template could be a little wider, even though I do know you're trying to get it to fit on an 800x600 screen. Maybe you could make the width fluid? Also, the links still go yellow when you hover over them, which I assume is left over from an older version of the template when the links were yellow.

Anyway, nice work. :D

Actually, I intended the links to be like that. I thought it gave them a good contrast, making it seem to "light up", but I will go with the consensus. What does everyone else think?

I kind of agree about the width, but fluidity might cause problems when I want things pixel perfect. I'll see about making it wider though. I use a wide screen monitor so I can agree that it looks a bit narrow.

Okay, I've made it 900 pixels wide. (you may have to refresh a couple of times to get the new header image)

I'm also experimenting with shines on the logo. I don't know whether or not it looks better with or without.

inner_header_bg1.png

inner_header_bg.png

Hm, maybe if you had the logo part sit on top of the shine, it would work.

I'm not sure if I like the shine going over the logo.

SpirallingSnowy

Parth, i love it :D

I was always going to help pitch in content wise, and money wise once i get some of my money from KRudd and also for my uni scholarship.

If we can afford it, i would LOVE to have .au on the domain name, but if we cant then we cant.

$40 a year between a few of us is more than affordable, really.

As is already stated in this thread, ill still happily be info port of call for people enquiring about asexuality. Ill go back over this thread and see if i can collate what information people wanted included on this. Lets get this rolling guys!!!! :D Im really excited :D

OK so here are the things i think we needed:

Anywho. So what kind of stuff do we want to cover??

- Information about Asexuality ( what do we want covered here)

- Link back to AVEN

- Archive of research

- News updates of international asexuality

- Media ( past and present articles)

- Contact listing

More ideas?? do people want to write some of the stuff they want????

inner_header_bg1.png

inner_header_bg.png

inner_header_bg5.png

Seeing it on the webpage, I definitely like the third one. The shine brings it all together instead of there being two separated entities on either end of the header, and the logo stands out better on top. All in all I think it looks great now. Thanks Jibun!

If we can afford it, i would LOVE to have .au on the domain name, but if we cant then we cant.

$40 a year between a few of us is more than affordable, really.

Using a .au TLD certainly seems to make the most sense. Hosting is the largest part of the cost anyway, so provided Parth continues to host it for us, it should be quite affordable. :P

inner_header_bg5.png

Yeah, I like this one the best too. :)

As for the backend:

I have just set up a different website with Joomla and I didn't really like it so I want to try out Drupal here. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Archived