Australian Asexuality Website and other Aussie Visability

SpirallingSnowy

I've used Joomla before, eventually I tried Drupal and I preferred it by far.

Well, that settles it :D

I can start building the site right away, but the URL will be an IP address until we get a domain.

Yeah, that sounds good. I doubt anyone apart from us is going to look at the site until we get the domain anyway.

But we should probably get it soonish.

Well I'm up at 3am, tweaking the Drupal install. Just wanted to report that I've installed Calendar which is working. Next I need to do the template. It might be a few days before I can do much more though.

One thing we needs to also be considering right now is what domain name we want.

It's a network so that implies .net.au

But it also might become an organisation in the future, which would imply .org.au

.com.au isn't really recommended; it tends to be reserved for business.

And we should also think about what comes after the www.

Some suggestions:

• asexual-awareness-australia - might be a little long
  • a3 - might be a little short
  • asexuality - like New Zealand has dibs on asexuality.org.nz we could potentially follow the trend by using asexuality.org.au

I believe the requirements on Australian domains are such that, in order to get a .org.au domain, you need to be officially registered as a non-profit organisation in Australia. Australian domains are pretty restricted like that.

I do agree that .com.au domains seem to all be very commercial. I personally think we should get asexuality.net.au.

edit: much to my surprise, a3.net.au is still available, so maybe that could be another option.

SpirallingSnowy

done and done! oh it so exciting *hugs*!!!

Another option for the domain is just asexual-awareness.net.au, without the "australia". If it's an Australian .net.au domain, we probably don't need to spell out "australia" in it, and it would make it shorter.

Also, to get better urls in Drupal, (rather than /node/[number]) go to Administer -> Site Building -> Modules, and enable "Path", (which should be included with Drupal) which allows you to choose better urls for pages. Then download and install the Pathauto module for Drupal, which allows you to set default patterns for the urls selected in Path to follow. You may also want to install Global Redirect, which redirects all alternative urls for the same page to the one selected with Path.

(advice from someone who's done a bit of playing around with Drupal before)

asexual-awareness.net.au huh... that's not bad. I'll add it to the poll.

SpirallingSnowy

I've been playing and posting in the forum.... :D * bounces* its all very exciting :D

Once we get the domain registered and DNS info updated for it we need to post a new thread in Announcements all about this. :D

*is excited*

:o clearly i need to pay more attention, because i clicked and HOLY COW we have a website now?!!!! it's fabulous guys, thanks for all the hard work, it really shows!!!!

*runs off the vote for domain names*

• 3 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

Alrighty you aussies who havent joined yet... hurry up and join!!!!!

KayleeSaeihr

Is there an incentive? :P

Lamingtons. Well, digitial lamingtons. Well, digital lamington emoticons that look like spotted bricks but I couldn't do any better.

And do feel free to read the above line in a David Tennant Doctor Who accent.

• 2 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! * runs around in circles, squees very loudly and jumps up and down*

thanks Parth :D :D :D :D :D

• 3 years later...

Archived