"Fried Green Tomatoes"

JaySexy

I've recently read, "Fried Green Tomatoes" by Fannie Flagg (my one true passion: reading!!) I have a feeling that the two main characters (Ruth Jamison and Idgy Threadgoode) are asexual.

The story is about these two women that have such a fond platonic attraction to one another and men/sexual relationships to them are a distant second/could possibly be described as non-existant!!

I know, I know.. There's a movie... but, I'm a little slow on the up-take, and JUST got 'round to reading the book. I definitely suggest it if you're looking for a good, easy read.

Thanks. :D

Guest the_random_squirrel

i've been trying to think of the title of this book ever since it was mentioned in a 'The Simpsons' episode that i only recently remember watching. So thank you for enlightening me!

maybe i'll go and read it now..

Fannie Flagg is lesbian and I've read that her characters are meant to be taken as lesbian -- but I haven't read the book.

I read that book in high school, and reread it a couple weeks ago. I think the nature Idgie and Ruth's relationship is open to interpretation, though most people assume they're lesbian. (there are a few lines in the book that can definitely be interpreted either way, one bit where Idgie is getting comforted by Eva has some implied sex, etc.)

In the movie they tried to avoid any "lesbian" connotations, but it has some really strong subtext going on if you are paying attention (which I guess could also be seen as asexual, since it is subtext after all).

Anyway, I highly recommend the book and the movie to anyone who hasn't read/seen them. They are both really interesting, humorous, etc.

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite books! I felt the characters were intended to be lesbians, especially given Fannie Flagg's own orientation (she's openly gay). However, the books never have an outright sex scene or anything of that nature, so I could see one interpreting it as asexual.

In general, Idgie is portrayed as the more out-going of their relationship. I remember one character saying of Idgie that "the love bug" had got her.

• 1 month later...

Awesome, I'll look into checking this book out from my local library. Sounds interesting.

smellincoffee

I've both read the book and watched the movie. I read the book years ago, so I can't remember enough of it to reccommend it. The movie is one of my favorites, though.

Well, Ruth and Idgie are definitely in love with each other; it is very explicit throughout the book that they are a couple, raising their son, with deep romantic feelings.

Now, being romantic doesn't mean you are sexual, obviously. There is never any mention of sex or physical attraction between them in the book that I recall. However, I'm pretty sure it's strongly implied that Idgie did sleep with Eva Bates; I certainly have come away with that impression after having read it twice. So, I think Idgie is sexual.

Ruth, on the other hand, isn't known for sure to have sex with anyone besides her husband, Frank. However, the book does tell us this at the chapter when Ruth leaves: "Its funny, most people can be around someone and then gradually begin to love them and never know exactly when it happened; but Ruth knew the very second it happened to her.......-bee charmer bit-.... it was at that second in time that she knew she loved Idgie with all her heart. And it was because she loved her so much that she had to leave."

So, she's essentially leaving to get away from Idgie (and to do what's accepted at that time) and may not (and likely doesn't) actually have sexual feelings for her husband. Ruth then might be sexual, but if she is, I think lesbian. She might also be asexual because her sexual feelings aren't explored further.

I think they're probably both lesbians because asexuality is so unknown/unrecognized in general and because Fannie Flagg is a lesbian herself. At the same time, I don't see why this can't be read as an asexual love story. The whole book is about these two loving each other without sexuality being addressed. It doesn't matter if they're sexual or not because that's not the point. Love is the point, not sex.

• 3 months later...

I love that book, I read it in High School. And it didn't even enter my mind that Idgie and Ruth could be lesbians, just because I usually don't think about that kinda stuff. It doesn't really matter to me anyways, I think they both would have loved each other as much as they did, whether or not they were sexually involved.

I've read in one place that they were asexual and in another that they were lesbians, but I refuse to watch it to find out (i didn't know it was a book!) because saw it when I was five and it's the reason I've always been afraid of train tracks. I tend to think of it as more of a childhood nightmare than a film.

• 1 month later...

it absolutely floored me when I first heard this notion of Idgie and Ruth being Lesbians a couple months ago. I just assumed they were like me and my friend with just a deep friendship but nothing else...it made perfect sense why people think we are a couple though

Heh. I didn't realize there was a book until now, but that movie is one of the 2-3 "chick-flicks" I can not only stomach watching, but love dearly. I always felt a connection to the story. Before I eralized I am Ase, my mom took to nicknaming me Idgie. That movie (and I assume book!) is absolutely brilliant. Forget lesbianism, I accept it as asexual!

• 3 weeks later...

Huh. I've read somewhere that the author stated they were lesbians, and that the food fight scene was in fact a metaphor for sex :lol: Correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't read the book, and I haven't watched the movie for quite some time now.

Archived