Current Issue of Psychology Today: Not Tonight Dear - Or Ever

Kirkkitsch

I just purchased (and subsequently blogged about it) the new issue of Psychology Today. The cover story is called 'Twisted? 7 Taboos That Are Perfectly Natural.' I mention this because #3 of the 7 Taboos is: Not Tonight Dear - Or Ever: I'm Not Into Sex.

I thought this was a really interesting issue, so maybe you will too. FYI :cake:

2015 Edit: I'd like to thank thylacine for sending me a copy of this article, which can now be read by everyone:

0im9Boi.jpg

Great! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to move this to World Watch.

-ghosts, Relationships moderator

• 3 weeks later...

It's a really funny coincidence, today I was at the drugstore waiting for my prescriptions, and I fell across the magaxine Psychology Today. I don't usually read magazines when I'm at the store, but the cover on this one catched my attention. I had no idea there was an article that discussed asexuality. I just opened it on a random page, and read the name Cijay Morgan...and realized that the magazine had written about asexuality.

I ended up buying the magazine.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the magazine yesterday when the cover grabbed my attention. As soon as I saw asexuality was mentioned in the cover article, I decided to buy the magazine. I haven't read the article yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

We're a taboo now?!?!?!

I think in an era when everyone is supposed to have great sex and go out of their way to get it, talking about not wanting it is a taboo. People only talk about not having sex in hushed tones, like its really shameful.

We're a taboo now?!?!?!

I think in an era when everyone is supposed to have great sex and go out of their way to get it, talking about not wanting it is a taboo. People only talk about not having sex in hushed tones, like its really shameful.

Well, it is a taboo for all intents and purposes. I realised early on that socially I was supposed to want sex, and so I felt too ashamed to tell anyone that I didn't want it. I just edged around the issue and hoped the topic of sex would never come up at all. When it did, if I even hinted at my real feelings, people would look at me as if I was mentally ill. It's just like having a dirty little secret - without the 'dirty' part. So I can definitely see it as a taboo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

That issue was my first insight into the idea that there were other people like me. It got the ball rolling for finding this site and starting to identify myself as asexual. Before I knew the label, I was fine with everything but now it's nice to know that I could explain it to someone if/when I decide to.

Archived