Dating Sites

ghosts

JamesSharkk

Acebook seems to be something of a desert for older asexuals, Asexualitic is a bit better as far as number of folks on it. I can't speak to how good either actually is yet as I have only recently joined them.

I find neither sites have UK residents :(

• 3 weeks later...

ACEbook scares me, i do not feel safe!

Please tell me why you feel unsafe! Is it your intuition? (I was thinking of looking it up for possible platonic friendships - now I'm not so sure!)

@"Sophiatrist": How goes it with the new sites you've joined (Asexualitic & ACEbook)?

Sophiatrist

@"Sophiatrist": How goes it with the new sites you've joined (Asexualitic & ACEbook)?

:lol: Not well. The biggest problem is that there are very few people in my age group (50+) on either site. And none at all close to me. Personally I don't mind a little travel but it seems off-putting to most folks. Ace-Book I can't really figure out. It doesn't look to be much more than a very small, simple forum. And I guess I scare men off on Asexualitic. I get one short message with the promise of a longer one to follow and then ~poof~ they're gone. :ph34r: Maybe I'm too much of a stalker.

:lol: Not well. The biggest problem is that there are very few people in my age group (50+) on either site. And none at all close to me. Personally I don't mind a little travel but it seems off-putting to most folks. Ace-Book I can't really figure out. It doesn't look to be much more than a very small, simple forum. And I guess I scare men off on Asexualitic. I get one short message with the promise of a longer one to follow and then ~poof~ they're gone. :ph34r: Maybe I'm too much of a stalker.

Oh, I'm sure you're not, at all!! :lol:

Well, thank you for the information; and as I am 50+ myself, I can nix the ideas I had about those sites.

Sophiatrist

Oh, I'm sure you're not, at all!! :lol:

Well, thank you for the information; and as I am 50+ myself, I can nix the ideas I had about those sites.

I am having a lot more luck over on OKCupid, and by luck I mean that you can at least get people to engage in conversation. I am pretty sure that people do not actually bother to read more profile or the match questions they give you. It really seems to be a well thought out site, I can not make the same claim regarding all of the people using it. The fact that I am asexual is splashed all over my profile, as is the fact that I am looking for some one local. That has not deterred the 20 year old young man who lives 2500 miles away from writing nor the couple where the wife wants to explore her first same sex relationship. But I figger that if you can't at least get people to correspond you'll never be able to get to the point of trying to work out a sexual to asexual relationship. I just tell the 20 year old boy and the sexually adventurous couple "No thanks" and go on about my merry way :lol:

@"Sophiatrist": :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least the 'couple quest' was up-front, but what does the 20 yr. old want? (or is that the 'duh' to end all 'duhs'!?!)

As far as conversations are concerned, we have a fairly decent back/forth going on "...over 50" in the "Older Forum". With your fabulous sense of humor and way with words, I know you would be a welcome addition to our little group. Please check it out, when you get a chance.

Good luck on the other fronts & thanks for keeping 'in touch'. :)

Friend Without Benefits

I get the creeps over on Ace-Book, too. It annoys the crap out of me that I had to give it my full name at registration, and now, when I log in, it says hello to me using my full name. Every other personals site I've used lets me log in with an email addy and a "profile" name -- I hate that Ace-Book needs to know who I am.

But I did it anyway, in the hopes of finding other aces in my area.

With the exception of the "Introductions" thread (which is years old and 7 pages long), do you know when the most recent post was in the West Coast forum? Four Weeks! (And, actually, that's the last reply to a post. The last post itself is months old.)

It's dead over there. Dead dead dead.

I understand that AVEN has made an official decision to NOT have a Personals forum over here -- but, honestly, if this is where most of us are, it would make sense to me have a separate little Personals section, for those of us who wanted. (Or, maybe I'm just kidding myself and there simply AREN'T a lot of us who want it.)

cleuchtturm

I understand that AVEN has made an official decision to NOT have a Personals forum over here -- but, honestly, if this is where most of us are, it would make sense to me have a separate little Personals section, for those of us who wanted. (Or, maybe I'm just kidding myself and there simply AREN'T a lot of us who want it.)

There are a lot of people who want it, but we also understand that AVEN is for visibility, not dating.

Though I don't see why we couldn't have a forum like (h)AVEN for the dating thing...

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'd rather get to know someone through forums and talking, not through an ad.

Sophiatrist

At least the 'couple quest' was up-front, but what does the 20 yr. old want? (or is that the 'duh' to end all 'duhs'!?!)

Come here, let me slap you. <_<

Come here, let me slap you. <_<

Wouldn't come within ten feet of you!! Pain is not one of the things I am 'into'. :D

How naive am I????? It never occurred to me that a "Personals Forum" would be a 'dating site'! :huh:

I merely interpreted what I am using now, is a 'comfy' site, with friendly people, who wish to have personal conversations. As far as a regular "Personals Forum" on AVEN; that sounds like an oxymoron to me, somehow.

Notte stellata

Thinking about it, I'd rather get to know someone through forums and talking, not through an ad.

+1

Getting to know someone through forums and talking works soooooo much better, no matter just for making friends or being open to a potential romance.

• 4 weeks later...
AerostarMonk

I joined asexualititc and Acebook and both seem kind of like deserts. It's like people take an interest on those sites for a couple of days then just disappear forever. And none of the forums on acebook have been updated for days, if not weeks. It may have been a great option a couple of years ago but it's dead now.

There's nobody near my part of Ohio either. There's also nobody near my part of Ohio on this site either. So when it comes to meetups of any kind I'm kind of in the wind.

I really don't know what to do. No dating sites really work for me, and I've yet to have someone take an interest in me from any of the Internet friendships I've formed through forums and social networking sites, and I've met plenty of aces through those methods.

I almost feel like I'm destined to be alone or something.

Yeesh.

There is a site just for cuddling although sadly it's probably as dead as the ace sites.

Great idea! But I'm thinking that such a site will attract creeps as well and people who would like to move onto sexual things. Good but a bit odd....

You signed up to that, Face?

I've looked at it when I found a link to it. It does have an awful lot of obvious scam artists but seems to have a small community that seems genuine too. I recognized some other faces. Very similar to ace-book in terms of the site.

Like anything though, you have to be wary but not let the dodgy elements put you off.

I'm stickying this thread with a list of personals sites that might be of interest to asexuals. Also, I'm stealing this list & descriptions from the wiki (thanks Hallu!). So without further ado...

Acebook - Formerly (?) A-Date; is a free dating site for asexuals, including integrated forums and chat software.

Affectionate Friends is "a different kind of dating site", made for people (not necessarily asexuals) who want to share time and affection without worrying about sex or commitment.

Asexual Pals is an informal introduction service that brings together asexual and celibate people for romantic and platonic relationships.

Asexualitic describes itself as "the first free dating site for asexual people", although technically it was released after the creation of A-Date, which is also free.

Celibate Passions is a dating and networking site for celibate people looking for platonic relationships. It comes with chat, message boards, and email.

Platonic Partners is a website celebrating celibate, platonic relationships, and allowing users to meet other like-minded people without the stresses of having to sexually perform. They are asexual-friendly and come with health resources and a newsletter.

Thanks, I'm glad... but acebook is dead... *grumbles*

I've looked at it when I found a link to it. It does have an awful lot of obvious scam artists but seems to have a small community that seems genuine too. I recognized some other faces. Very similar to ace-book in terms of the site.

Like anything though, you have to be wary but not let the dodgy elements put you off.

Trains, buses, parks, social websites, creeps are everywhere.

Thats why cats are the safer option. :)

• 3 weeks later...
DracoBorealis

This is why I haven't signed up to any of these sites. I'd love to have someone to talk to -and that's all- but I don't trust people. I don't want to give anyone my name or personal information. And I always seem to attract the worst society has to offer. I was on a couple of penpal sites some years back, and all I got were perverts, creeps, spammers and those that disappear after a few messages. And a couple of 12-year-olds who kept talking about ponies and fashion :rolleyes: Hardly people I connect with.

I'm moving more and more toward the cats option. Women are too much to handle sometimes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just thought I'd add another site to this list for anyone interested(maybe you can add it to the main post? I just found out datebound.com which is LGBT site add and ASEXUAL option which is super cool...Basic Membership is free and they cater to all different types! Unfortunantly its only open to US-CANADA residents at this time...It is very new however so it needs people to join but it looks like a good site and hopefully will become popular...maybe if it does they will open up their site to other countries...In fact I am going to go ask them on their facebook page right now if they have any plans too!

reverse_thrust

I'm moving more and more toward the cats option. Women are too much to handle sometimes

Nothing that can really be done about the creeps, especially on dating sites. You just need to learn to block them and move on. I feel sorry for women, men don't need to put up with this crap for the most part.

OkCupid is great if you're willing to date sexuals, otherwise you're a bit limited. I've had some luck with asexualitic and acebook, but unless you're very lucky the odds of bumping into someone who is openly asexual in your area is slim, and that's ignoring compatibility issues.

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking of trying some of these sites, but I'm glad I checked out these posts first before investing time in a lost cause. I originally tried out POF before I realized my asexuality was going to make things impossible and I quickly moved to the forums. I've pretty much left the POF forums for AVEN's so I'd have to agree that meeting and learning about people in their posts is a better alternative than browsing profiles like a menu. It takes more time, but I figure it's more worthwhile in the long run.

Maybe everyone who is looking for a relationship should leave there name in a post somewhere, then people can start PM-ing each other. That way it's not turning AVEN into a dating site, just letting other people out there know who's available and looking?

You can get to know people on forums but it's not great because I'm guessing most people maybe check out this site every few days, so to have an actual conversation with someone can take months, just to find out they're the wrong type of asexual anyway!

Another problem is so many people seem reluctant to list any information about themselves on their profiles. They want to meet someone but are unwilling to put where they're from or even what sex they are in some cases.

That could have something to do with navigating the site and learning how to edit the profile. I just joined today and been having trouble with that. I am demisexual and have been on both OKC and POF for years, and do put on my profile that I am not into casual hook ups, FWBs, 3somes. And that I HAVE to get to know someone before any physical intimacy happens. I don't mention the word demisexual on there because I got more then a few words on my profile that have had people scratching their noggins over. As for the creepers, well they are gonna happen anywhere and most everywhere. Even in church. I would rather not deal with them either, but mine as well wish for the moon

WhenSummersGone

I don't mind posting my location, age or birthday but I don't give out my name unless it's in messages. Also I don't think this site asks for what sex we are, it just asks for gender and my gender is different than my sex.

• 1 month later...

Archived