WALL-E

eralkfang

I saw WALL-E this evening, and was astoundingly touched by how sweet the love story was. When WALL-E and EVE at last held hands- their truest expression of love- I wept and cheered and loved every bit of it.

I think it had more of an effect on me because I am a romantic asexual (heteroromantic, if you must know). WALL-E and EVE, being robots, are asexual, and their love story is blissfully asexual- focused only on emotions, not anything else. WALL-E loves EVE, and just wants to hold her hand. This may be a side effect of being an all ages film, but most all ages films concerning couples imply at the end that the two leading lovers had sex (in the form of offspring) or want to have sex.

WALL-E and EVE are shown in the credits, many years after the film ends, blissfully holding hands in a meadow and observing a tree. Not a little robobaby in sight. That's their asexual happily ever after.

How romantic.

Guest Fosco

I saw an advert for the film yesterday, I didn't think it was going to be a film like that tho, I'll have to take a look at it sometime

Eurasian_Dreamer

I totally agree. I think that movie is just the sweetest thing ever. It's so unbelievably cute.

I was offered free tickets to go see the first showing in our city on Sunday, I really want to go. Unfortunately I'm out of town! Terrible timing. :(

RandomDent

I would see it, but every time I see WALL. E. I just think of how they've blatently ripped off the design of Johnny Five and I grow angry.

WALL-E and EVE are shown in the credits, many years after the film ends, blissfully holding hands in a meadow and observing a tree. Not a little robobaby in sight. That's their asexual happily ever after.

Oh man, I knew this was the kind of movie that would have stuff after the credits! Unfortunately, I was with two kids who I know are too impatient to sit through the credits. And I have to admit, I was dragged into the theater expecting to not like it.

My brain was not letting me just enjoy the movie, though. I kept thinking things like "wouldn't that planet's rings saw off Wall-E's arm?" and "Hey look at all that trash around the earth! Looks like Kessler Syndrome!". Boo.

How exactly were the humans reproducing? They don't even have the energy to chew their food or swim or sit up straight...

Eurasian_Dreamer
I would see it, but every time I see WALL. E. I just think of how they've blatently ripped off the design of Johnny Five and I grow angry.

You know, I love the movie Short Circuit, and I don't think they copied Five. They have three things in common, and all of those attributes make sense with the function of the robot. I honestly think it's just a case of both story-creators doing their research. The actual stories are also completely different, if that helps alleviate your worries at all.

I like the movie and found the hand holding idea very touching. Although it was a bit too futuristically gloomy for me, it had its good parts. ^_^ Robotic asexual love... Cool! :)

I think he looks sort of like Johnny 5 too, I grew up loving Short Circuit. I thought of it as the creators probably paying homage to a robot they loved too.

I actually wondered if maybe sex and a robobaby weren't brought into the story because of how robots are viewed by society right now, as not reproducing entities in the sense of how a biological creature would do so. Maybe the creators thought viewers would find it unrealistic or impossible. Or maybe they really did just want to make an extremely cute, romantic story, which is totally what it was! :D Hahah I don't mean to wax philosophical about robots and sex, but that topic is an interest of mine, there's even a book out there about the future of robots with humans and the potential between them for love and sex. Interesting stuff.

DarthBismarck
...the future of robots with humans and the potential between them for love and sex.

What, is that how you get a cyborg? LOL

OKay, I was thinking this was just going to be another of those cutey-pooty romance movies, just with CGI characters. Descriptions on here have convinced me otherwise. Besides, it's Pixar!

Disclosure:I think Pixar is the most intelligent & creative *corporate but not corporately controlled* movie-making agency on our planet.

I love Miyazaki.

Some of Dreamworks stuff is really cool.

And, hey, i carry a torch - flickering- for many other animators-

But WAYHOO!

all I have seen and heard of "WALL-E" almost makes me want to emigrate to a city showing this film right now!

Cant happen.

But I can dream.

Fortunately, in living moving colour-

PrairieGhost

I've seen it and it was really great! It was warm and fuzzy and very sweet.

• 3 weeks later...
Shadow girl

I'd like to see it but theaters are too darn expensive so I don't go anymore since I'm not going to pay $20 for that. Heck pay per view is cheaper and you can have the whole family without paying for them.

Same here!!

When he almost ran over the cockroach, all I could think of was that scene in Short Circuit when Johnny 5 (or Number 5, as he was called) ran over the grasshopper. "Disassembled. Dead. Disassembled. Dead..."

The other robot looked like an iPod with flippers.

I also found the movie depressing, overall. I left after 45 minutes--all that had happened by then was Johnny 5 falling in love with the iPod after she tried to "disassemble" him. [rolls eyes] I'd hate to think what kind of abuse he'd be willing to take in a long-term relationship with her...

I thought it was way too 'Green' but all the big movies for youngsters are like that these days, it's what's fashionable.

ThePieMaker

I loved that movie beyond words. It had such an amazing message of how we need to take care of our world AND had the asexual robot love. I can't imagine anything better.

Well I enjoyed it too, as did my nephews.

Didn't look at it from an asexual perspective....but now you come to mention it, you're spot on. The stuff in the credits was pretty good too, me and my oldest nephew sat watching it until the ODEON staff tutted impatiently......then we felt we ought to leave.

When I went to the theater, I noticed that most of the children there had a really hard time following the plot. I think the mostly nonverbal plot confused them. The only thing children seemed to understand was when Wall-E was frightened. They didn't recognize other emotional responses. (I know this because they more or less narrated the movie with questions... I'm talking like 5 year olds).

But I thought the movie was adorable, I enjoyed it a lot. I think you'd miss a lot of it if you don't see the whole thing, though. Though, of course, no reason to watch it through if it's really just not interesting to you from the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

am i the only one who thought it was lame?...... lol i must of missed soming :o it did have some sweet moments in it (like the hand holding) but i got bored 10 minutes in

• 2 weeks later...
geronimohorse

I LOVE WALL-E!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Me and my friend went to see it and we both wanted to go right back in and watch again! We were just sitting there, watching the credits roll, thinking about how great it was... then the usher started getting impatient so we left... grrr!

Wall-E made me feel.... feeeeeelings.

Totally sweet and with a surprisingly powerful message, but not heavyhanded either. It was my absolute favorite film of the entire summer. Dark Knight? pffff....

Sadly enough, I've yet to watch that film. T_T I want to though.

Archived