Popular culture propaganda on sex

Sally

Dame du Lac

I was asked for ID to enter a pub when I was 31, although they didn't want anyone under 21 entering. Probably the best, or worse, one was when I was 29 and I answered the door to someone who asked if my mum and dad were home. Had to tell him I didn't have a clue, and would he like me to ring them and find out? :D

But I don't think its an image thing Sally. People don't tell me I'm good looking or attractive. They just sometimes express surprise that I'm as old as I am.

Solodancer1
I was asked for ID to enter a pub when I was 31, although they didn't want anyone under 21 entering. Probably the best, or worse, one was when I was 29 and I answered the door to someone who asked if my mum and dad were home. Had to tell him I didn't have a clue, and would he like me to ring them and find out? :D

But I don't think its an image thing Sally. People don't tell me I'm good looking or attractive. They just sometimes express surprise that I'm as old as I am.

When I make professional phone calls I get asked how old I am in sometimes a harsh tone. I used to be startled and say, "What?" They just demand my age again. I'd say, "Why?" I'd fianlly tell them usually. One time I said, "Are you allowed to ask me that?" (No.) The man said, "Well, are you over 18?" I wanted to laugh. I had been wondering whether they were trying to discriminate against people under 30-40 or over it! They just wanted to know if I was a child conducting unauthorized business on Mama's phone. I was past 30.

Once when I was 20 a salesman came to the door and asked if my mommy was home. i don't know the regional mom/ma/mama/momma/mother/mam/etc. shades in your neck of the woods, but here mommy is the mother of a kid who still gets owies and likes numnums. To this day I don't know if I looked THAT young or he was just southern and had lost the pronunciation but not the vocab of his home. Some parts of the South all mothers are Mommies. Some, they're mommas, etc.

I used to smoke and Iwas 20 and went to the store for cigs and the cashier gave me a sarcastic look and said, "You have to be 18 to buy cigarettes." As if there were no way I could even be close to that age. And that year I was hanging out with a friend who is much younger than I am and some intoxicated person asked her if I was her son. not even her daughter. Her son. Probably too skinny. Well, that didn't last forever.

Dame du Lac

Solodancer1 - in the UK its 'mum' or 'mummy' for little kids. Only in comedy shows depicting very posh people is mummy used by adults.

What are owies and numnums?

Archived