The Androgynous Look

Sammie

It's hard to find photos of me that aren't of the back of my head (rock climbing)... but enjoy. (Bonus points if you work out what my gender is)

I know what gender you are, Tink :)

I hate the usual jeans and T-shirt ensemble. Give me robes. Long flowing wizardly ones. With a flat chest and no makeup. There's my hearty eff you to the classic feminine look.

I can't resist super-long hair though. I'm keeping my long hair.

I LIKEY!!! :wub:

Hmm.. gender.. I'm a panromantic ace.. I could care less!! Lol. But I have no idea. :P

Thanks. *Big grin*

I hate the usual jeans and T-shirt ensemble. Give me robes. Long flowing wizardly ones. With a flat chest and no makeup. There's my hearty eff you to the classic feminine look.

Yea, but you can't climb a tree in robes. That's why jeans are awesome (but not skinny leg jeans, they have to be baggy).

It's hard to find photos of me that aren't of the back of my head (rock climbing)... but enjoy. (Bonus points if you work out what my gender is)

Really? I'm not entirely clear on Tink's gender sometimes.

Really? I'm not entirely clear on Tink's gender sometimes.

You're both cheating.

0520384cd8d5b9a922490bcdcbe018c3.jpg

androgynous_again_by_imtoolameformyspace.jpg

I like not knowing so I never try to guess but since you challenged us...

I guess that while your clothing suggests a male gender, your face makes me thing you might be biologically female.

so.. did I guess right?

I like not knowing so I never try to guess but since you challenged us...

I guess that while your clothing suggests a male gender, your face makes me thing you might be biologically female.

so.. did I guess right?

Yea, that's the one. Though people get it wrong all the time... last time I entered a rock climbing competition, they entered me in the wrong category.

Yup. That there is my identical twin sister.

Wow. You peeps are twins?!

I suppose that I do see that you have used the same 'puters, so I guess that perhaps you lived together. But I did not guess twinsies. Cool! :)

Though we often get mistaken for a couple.

An awesomely hot asexy couple. 8)

Do you think androgyny is an asexual feature?

I always tried to dress genderlessly but I think it was only because I had issues with people looking at me as a girl (I didn't want them to look at me as a boy either). I used to wear baggy jeans and t-shirts. But I've changed a lot since university (about 10 years ago). I gradually started accepting to dress more feminine and now I just dress as I please, from completely boyish looks (people don't mistake me for a boy though, but they think I'm in my twenties :P ) to girly skirts and dresses. However, I still hate shiny stuff and designs. It's weird but I'm considered "hard to shop for" by my friends and family (and shop owners) because I like "plain" clothes. I only wear make-up for those events that I'm dragged to attend, lol. Ever since discovering asexuality as an orientation, I've noticed that I've been taking care of my looks more than before. I feel freer now and more accepting of myself, which is really nice ^_^

Even though I've never been sexually attracted to anybody, I've always been fascinated by the androgynous look: I didn't know the name back then and I didn't know I was being specifically drawn to one type of people. But reading this thread made me realize that. Even in my dreams (daydreams/imagination) most of my favorite characters were sexless.

When I got hooked on Gale Harold, I thought I was "cured" of my asexuality, until a few lesbians pointed out how they were also attracted to him (they had a community called "Harold's Dykes"). In fact, that's how I was introduced to the notion of androgyny: Dionysus Redux

Now, looking back, I realize that the people that look attractive to me are always like that. Ellen DeGeneres, Kurt Cobain, Brian Kinney, Tintin, Bugs Bunny (lol)...

I don't like the type with a lot of make-up on, I just like the simple yet very elegant type: masculine females and feminine males but without the mannerisms of either sex (it makes sense in my head but I can't explain it in words :redface:)

carried in bags
screen12.jpg

i :wub: richey

ive always liked the androgynous look and love it when you see someone and cant be sure if theyre male or female. tho i think guys look better androed up than girls do. i dont think i can get away with it with my face and build, so i just keep to nail varnish and womenswear.

tinker: the first pic looks more male, the second more female

Nope. It goes along the line of "people are attracted to people", if you happen to be attracted to more androgynous people, then good for you. If you happen to be attracted to macho men or girly girls, then that's good for you too. Asexuality is simply a definition of how you relate to someone you're attracted to, that is in a non-sexual manner.

I do, however, think that asexual people are commonly attracted to androgynous people.

How indeed could I not have been aware of her existence? she looks androgyntastic!

KateMoennig-1.jpgshane.jpg

Katherine Moennig as Shane = Androgynous LOVE! haha

i'd post pics of my adorably androgynous girlfriend, but idk how to post pics on here. and photobucket isn't really working out.

Nope. It goes along the line of "people are attracted to people", if you happen to be attracted to more androgynous people, then good for you. If you happen to be attracted to macho men or girly girls, then that's good for you too. Asexuality is simply a definition of how you relate to someone you're attracted to, that is in a non-sexual manner.

I do, however, think that asexual people are commonly attracted to androgynous people.

Sorry for the generalization (I hate when others do that, lol), I meant that it seemed a more prevalent preference in the asexual community, like you said.

I give myself a headache sometimes trying to understand how my mind works :blush: : I'm neither attracted to others sexually nor romantically, but I still consider them attractive.

Anyway, maybe I find the androgynous look very beautiful esthetically because I always hated society's fixed norms about gender roles. Maybe it's my unconscious rebellion against social restrictions regarding how men and women should behave, dress, talk, work, walk... (Growing up, I remember being laughed at whenever I asked why women can wear pants, ties, suits but men can't wear dresses, high heels, make-up without being considered weird/freaks? And I still don't get it <_< )

i'd post pics of my adorably androgynous girlfriend, but idk how to post pics on here. and photobucket isn't really working out.

try imagehost or imageshack. simple and no registration.

there aren't a lot of photographs that show my style, but i'll post the best ones i can find:

quiet_room_by_Cappychino.png

7628_1228815722521_1292920400_30667349_4988564_n.jpg

14338_1283808017294_1292920400_30837269_3327490_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like the androgynous look!

Something aiding it is my height, which is 6'11", and I'm pretty lanky. This has had me mistaken for a guy on several occasions.

I've actually wanted to take it farther in the androgynous/masculine realm but I don't want the added social pressure of seeming butch either...

n70963765514869175694.jpg

n70963765513167575831.jpg

n70963765514868873363.jpg

n7096376553717117829cop.jpg

n7096376553717144541.jpg

n70963765514869175694.jpg

Ooooo... Star Wars and androgyny. Makes me love this picture.

(All your pictures are great, but hey, Star Wars Complete Cross-sections! I love that book!)

Ooooo... Star Wars and androgyny. Makes me love this picture.

(All your pictures are great, but hey, Star Wars Complete Cross-sections! I love that book!)

Thanks, haha! That was the day in the bookstore where I got the book. I also recommend Star Wars Complete Locations if you like that. It's got a lot of the same juicy detail-packed diagrams of architecture and maps.

Guest Auletris

Hi! I admire androgynous women and adore androgynous men. I have megabites upon megabites of images I've saved over the years.

I'm new to the forums, hopefully I'll be able to work the image settings right.

Some people I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Orlando Bloom as Legolas. He has a square face and hairline but the long hair balances that out.

fanghorn.jpg

Some guy (haha) as Glorfindel (in the Fellowship of the Ring book he's the one who saves Frodo, not Arwen). I don't think he's actually in the movies though.

glorfindel02.jpg

Jennifer Garner (here as Elektra). She has quite a square jawline, negligible boobs and zero hips - she could totally pull it off.

elektrared.jpg

Gren from the episodes "Jupiter Jazz" parts 1 & 2 of Cowboy Bebop. Technically he is -- well, I don't want to give it away. It's a great and depressing story.

grenc.jpg

And finally Sesshomaru from Inuyasha. Tell me he isn't the prettiest anime character you've ever seen. And totally badass.

sesshomarup.jpg

Here's a few from androgynize me. Sammie already posted some others.

tumblr_kuh62skksy1qzw102o1_500.jpg

You can totally tell where I got my avatar from, can't you.

tumblr_kubecoeQsu1qzel8do1_500.jpg

tumblr_kuiiwutrNE1qzdy21o1_500.jpg

Guest Auletris

Not to be annoying, but I thought I'd post a picture of Johnny Depp looking androgynous, because it is possible.

96153541.jpg

David Bowie pre-Ziggy (and with eyebrows, hooray!). This is from 1965 and is one of my favorite pictures of him - he has short hair and still looks androgynous.

1965favorite.jpg

Ziggy Stardust here, photo by Masayoshi Sukita. Check out the jawline and lack of brow ridge.

sukitaright.jpg

Same with Bill Kaulitz - it's not just the makeup. (I didn't realize the pictures were so similar until I posted them. Bill does remind me of Mr Bowie.)

naturalc.jpg

I also want to point out that nearly all high-fashion models not only have stick bodies, but their facial features tend to be masculine, making them androgynes whether they realize it or not : P

That picture of Johnny Depp is great!

Goes to show that it's not just about shoulders or jawline. A lot of people can look androgynous if they try. It's more about style and posture than it is about a physical thing. We all have male and female looking traits that we can play to.

509_boycrazy_01.jpg

Linsey Godfrey on the Cold Case episode 'Boy Crazy'.

morgan-charles
THIS THREAD IS FULL OF J-ROCK AND IS THEREFORE MADE OF WIN!

Have some Tokio Hotel!

q12-Tokio-Hotel.jpg

Tokio-Hotel-ta03.jpg

527699069.jpg

bill-kaulitz.jpg

I want to adopt him. He's so adorable. :<

Oh god I LOVE Tokio Hotel XD

Archived